Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/2/2013 12:04:59 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

which being a current graduate I can assure is worth less than the paper it's written on)

You talking about your degree or the work placement plan?

There are obviously elements of the plan which weren't ideal, however I think the idea has merits, although I'd rather it be for more community based work than offering big business cheap labour. Maybe if there was some sort of guaranteed position based on acceptable performance it might be more of an idea.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 14/2/2013 12:14:54 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5761
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/2/2013 12:58:19 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

How long till they're sending old people to the glue factory...

Pffft. Given the constant debates over the retirement age, putting elderly people and factories in the same sentence together could become a stark reality soon enough....

quote:

You talking about your degree or the work placement plan?

There are obviously elements of the plan which weren't ideal, however I think the idea has merits, although I'd rather it be for more community based work than offering big business cheap labour. Maybe if there was some sort of guaranteed position based on acceptable performance it might be more of an idea.

Probably a bit of both actually, my degree is not exactly vocational. Having said that I have a pretty good resume with outside qualifications not related to my degree and the government's work placement plan has still provided me with no help whatsoever.

I do agree, it just feels like a plan by the government to subtlety alter the employment figures in their favour ahead of future elections without actually offering any real, long-term help to graduates looking for career prospects, which at the end of the day is the forefront in the reasons why someone undertakes a degree, especially the current crop of students who will be paying back, in some cases, at least £6,000 more a year than myself and others who have already graduated.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5762
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/2/2013 1:17:00 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

I do agree, it just feels like a plan by the government to subtlety alter the employment figures in their favour ahead of future elections without actually offering any real, long-term help to graduates looking for career prospects, which at the end of the day is the forefront in the reasons why someone undertakes a degree, especially the current crop of students who will be paying back, in some cases, at least £6,000 more a year than myself and others who have already graduated.

I'd agree with the first part, I think its easy to see it as a cynical ploy to play with stats, but I also think something needs to be done with those who have been long term unemployed (sometimes even 2nd generation) and now see it almost as a career choice.
The problem is with all back to work schemes they target the easy wins first, because if immediate results aren't seen the opposition are straight onto the attack condemning the policy entirely, what ever the merits maybe.

Without getting totally OT, I don't necessarily agree that all university students made the choice to attend based on getting a job.
I still honestly believe that many saw it as a social choice to go, hence why so many graduates now are struggling to find work seemingly having degrees in areas where there is/was little employment prospects.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 14/2/2013 1:18:14 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5763
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/2/2013 1:44:07 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Without getting totally OT, I don't necessarily agree that all university students made the choice to attend based on getting a job.
I still honestly believe that many saw it as a social choice to go, hence why so many graduates now are struggling to find work seemingly having degrees in areas where there is/was little employment prospects.

I think that's fair, it pretty much applies to me and most of my uni mates. Have to say though that even though I'm currently unemployed and had a decent job before I went to uni, I don't regret it. Best years of my life

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5764
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/2/2013 1:45:33 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
Have to say though that even though I'm currently unemployed and had a decent job before I went to uni, I don't regret it. Best years of my life

Jonsons gonna go fucking nuts!

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5765
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/2/2013 2:19:41 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I'd agree with the first part, I think its easy to see it as a cynical ploy to play with stats, but I also think something needs to be done with those who have been long term unemployed (sometimes even 2nd generation) and now see it almost as a career choice.
The problem is with all back to work schemes they target the easy wins first, because if immediate results aren't seen the opposition are straight onto the attack condemning the policy entirely, what ever the merits maybe.

Oh I agree, I'm referring more directly to the graduate-related schemes and work plans, however I draw you to my earlier point that with the closure of major high street businesses that, let's face it, are a streamline provider of minimum wage jobs for the unskilled worker (who are 7 times out of 10 the long-term unemployed I believe you are referring too), due our economy problems, trying to have a serious discussion about this at this stage seems somewhat avoiding of the true facts, that, where exactly are these jobs going to come from?

Yes, your right though, easy wins will ultimately be with people who want to work. And if we're completely honest a large portion of the long-term unemployed (and I'm not saying all of them because in no way is it) don't want to work, often don't lead lifestyles that lend towards being a decent prospect for an employment and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, would much rather just sit at home and claim benefits, at let's be frank, despise some of the supposed benefit restrictions it still looks remarkably easy from some of the paperwork I have seen to claim.

quote:

Oh of course not, I went to uni with several of them. There for the loans and grants and the inevitable social life that comes with it at university, in fact I'll stick my neck out here and say that I didn't get any grants (everything I received I have to pay back) and I found in my own personal experience that more of those with the grants seemed less committed to their courses than those who had limited funds from the government, for example, in my case I had to take full-time jobs whilst studying as it was the only way I could afford to live in London. I'm not saying that it's the case everywhere, but in my personal experience it certainly was.

But like I said I'm searching for work currently, related to both my degree and my other qualifications, and having little to no success and didn't fit that category, and I'm not the only one I know of. I've been unemployed for seven weeks now and that's the longest since I was 14, and I turned 26 last Friday.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

Post #: 5766
RE: The British Politics Thread - 22/2/2013 10:26:49 PM   
superdan

Moody's have downgraded the UK's credit rating: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21554311

Frankly I'm astonished it's taken this long.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5767
RE: The British Politics Thread - 1/3/2013 7:22:22 AM   
sanchia

So UKIP come second in a byelection (still not a win though) beating the Tories into third place. Just a shame they are such an awful party with policies which represent (in many cases) a terrible full on right wing approach. It appears far too many people vote for them on one or two policies and do not actually look at what they stand for overall.

That said Gove managed to outsmarm Farage on the News this morning, which I thought was impossible.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5768
RE: The British Politics Thread - 1/3/2013 10:42:27 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

So UKIP come second in a byelection (still not a win though) beating the Tories into third place. Just a shame they are such an awful party with policies which represent (in many cases) a terrible full on right wing approach. It appears far too many people vote for them on one or two policies and do not actually look at what they stand for overall.

That said Gove managed to outsmarm Farage on the News this morning, which I thought was impossible.

In all fairness though, isn't that exactly what a significant portion of the general public do nowadays when it comes to voting? It's not at all something only applicable to UKIP. I don't disagree with you, although I don't believe UKIP are in the same category as the likes of the BNP, I find that bit of a storm in a teacup if you ask me, but it seems that's part of the reason why we have a coalition government, mainly led by the Tories.

I liked Gove's interview with the Daily Mail the other day about the criticism aimed at politicians who send their children to private schools. "How can you dare question a parent doing what's best for their child." You should have said "doing what they think is best for their child" Gove you fucking idiot. Perhaps you should have got a state education yourself as you've just dropped yourself in another powder-keg with the NUT and the education service as a whole.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5769
RE: The British Politics Thread - 2/3/2013 8:43:04 AM   
sanchia

quote:

I don't believe UKIP are in the same category as the likes of the BNP

I would not have said so but having looked at some of the sites where the BNP members have significant presence it is very strange to note that those very same people have now converted to UKIP support and seem to be under the impression UKIP has the same approach to immigration etc. that the BNP had? Now I relaise that BNP members are a bunch of hammers but it is a strange thing to see.

I have to admit on the BBC Gove interview it was interesting to see him paint himself into a corner with the whole "it is a wakeup call but we shall carry on as before" approach.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5770
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/3/2013 3:47:52 AM   
Phubbs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21651004

This is interesting, probably wouldn't happen, just trying to gain support after being beaten by UKIP, trying to jump on UKIP's bandwagon hehe. I'd like to see it though especially after the recent farce of not being able to deport foreign criminals, I fully support Theresa May, she is one of very few politicians not afraid to stand up against all this EU/PC redtape.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5771
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/3/2013 9:51:20 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

This is interesting, probably wouldn't happen, just trying to gain support after being beaten by UKIP, trying to jump on UKIP's bandwagon hehe. I'd like to see it though especially after the recent farce of not being able to deport foreign criminals, I fully support Theresa May, she is one of very few politicians not afraid to stand up against all this EU/PC redtape.

What does this mean?

It'll never happen, but this is proof that the Tories are genuinely bricking it about UKIP now. Not that UKIP are going to win many (or maybe any) seats in the next GE, but they'll take enough of the Tory vote to make it extremely difficult for Cameron to win a majority (especially since he couldn't even manage it first time around).

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5772
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/3/2013 10:15:04 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Yes 'cos the party haven't een making any noise previously about Europe prior to the by-election result.

If they were worried by UKIP they would be moving into a full anti-European stance when they are still very much pro.
The problem is too much damage was done previously and it takes time, and a lot of negotiationion to get Europe to allow us some of these powers back.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5773
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/3/2013 10:30:59 AM   
superdan

quote:

Yes 'cos the party haven't een making any noise previously about Europe prior to the by-election result.

If they were worried by UKIP they would be moving into a full anti-European stance when they are still very much pro.
The problem is too much damage was done previously and it takes time, and a lot of negotiationion to get Europe to allow us some of these powers back.

Cameron may be pro-Europe, but his party certainly isn't. If it wasn't for UKIP creeping onto the Tory patch there is no way he would have felt the need to dangle the carrot of a referendum on EU membership (if they win the next GE, natch). Between that and the Human Rights Convention I would argue that is most definitely moving to an anti-European stance. The Tories know UKIP are in danger of splitting the votes on the right in the way the SDP did with Labour on the left.

As I said, I don't think it would happen (unless we want to stand with Belarus as the only European nations not to recognise the court), it's just indicative of a growing alarm on the part of the Conservatives to me.

Post #: 5774
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/3/2013 11:02:52 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

Cameron may be pro-Europe, but his party certainly isn't. If it wasn't for UKIP creeping onto the Tory patch there is no way he would have felt the need to dangle the carrot of a referendum on EU membership (if they win the next GE, natch). Between that and the Human Rights Convention I would argue that is most definitely moving to an anti-European stance. The Tories know UKIP are in danger of splitting the votes on the right in the way the SDP did with Labour on the left.

As I said, I don't think it would happen (unless we want to stand with Belarus as the only European nations not to recognise the court), it's just indicative of a growing alarm on the part of the Conservatives to me.

quote:

Between that and the Human Rights Convention I would argue that is most definitely moving to an anti-European stance. The Tories know UKIP are in danger of splitting the votes on the right in the way the SDP did with Labour on the left.

I think it exactly where the Tory membership sit, they have very strong and anti-european representation, however the main issue is the amount of influence Europe has been given by the previous governments. That needs tackling, and this along with the referendum will tackle this.
Its also worth keeping in mind that the opposition won't commit to allowing the public to decide on Europe to give them a true mandate from the voters as to if they want to be in or out.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5775
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/3/2013 6:31:38 PM   
sanchia

One thing about the public and Europe, they very much buy into the scaremongering which is out there and have a tendency to ignore good aspects of it. That is not to say that some reassessment of boundaries is required on an overall scale but especially with regards to the one trick pony which is UKIP, most people could not acvctually name any of their other policies than the anti European stance and vote on that alone. It is a worrying thing that voters are that naive with their votes but as has been shown time and time again they are.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5776
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/3/2013 8:21:47 PM   
Phubbs

quote:

quote:

What does this mean?

It'll never happen, but this is proof that the Tories are genuinely bricking it about UKIP now. Not that UKIP are going to win many (or maybe any) seats in the next GE, but they'll take enough of the Tory vote to make it extremely difficult for Cameron to win a majority (especially since he couldn't even manage it first time around).

I mean, Theresa May seems to be the only politician who actually fights against a lot of this immigration nonsense (like the recent stopping of deportation of foreign criminals) and is trying to install some common sense into the whole area...instead of just allowing this free fall where anyone can come in, anyone can stay the minute they have some kind of relationship, the pending thousands ready to hit the UK in Dec and the ridiculous EU/HR rules that over rule us and allow all this...in general.

I like her because she is one of the only politicians who isn't afraid to fight against things like this in a modern world of PC witch hunts against anyone who dares to question it. In short she has balls and doesn't hide behind the PC rules, unlike many in the government who simply don't question it and go along with the false pretenses that everything will turn out OK, all is fine.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 4/3/2013 8:23:47 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5777
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/3/2013 8:26:30 PM   
sanchia

The thing is, PC is a pointless catchphrase. Most of the so called witch hunts are actually people asking for evidence to support claims, evidence which never follows or turns out to be made up. The whole PC thing is as much a catchphrase for those who dislike certain opinions as the whole calling a right wing individual a Nazi or a someone with left leaning a liberal and using it as a supposed insult. They are all catchphrases designed to crush reasoned debate by labelling certain opinion. What is needed is evidentially supported debate not catchphrases.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5778
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/3/2013 11:59:35 AM   
superdan

quote:

I mean, Theresa May seems to be the only politician who actually fights against a lot of this immigration nonsense (like the recent stopping of deportation of foreign criminals) and is trying to install some common sense into the whole area...instead of just allowing this free fall where anyone can come in, anyone can stay the minute they have some kind of relationship, the pending thousands ready to hit the UK in Dec and the ridiculous EU/HR rules that over rule us and allow all this...in general.

I like her because she is one of the only politicians who isn't afraid to fight against things like this in a modern world of PC witch hunts against anyone who dares to question it. In short she has balls and doesn't hide behind the PC rules, unlike many in the government who simply don't question it and go along with the false pretenses that everything will turn out OK, all is fine.

If you are referring to Abu Qatada there, his deportation was most recently blocked by the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (a British court), not the ECHR. Which no doubt May will be doing her best to eradicate in the name of removing 'red tape'. The ECHR postponed Abu Hamza's extradition to the US only while they made sure he wasn't going to be executed or tortured (which isn't entirely unfair imo), before allowing it. That doesn't strike me as a court out of control or drunk with power. The ECHR has also upheld far more appealed UK deportation orders than it's blocked (nearly 4 times as many, in fact) but that doesn't seem to matter.

Effectively, what you are advocating is the power of the government of deport anyone, to anywhere, at any time with impunity and no recourse to law.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5779
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/3/2013 1:07:32 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

The ECHR has also upheld far more appealed UK deportation orders than it's blocked (nearly 4 times as many, in fact) but that doesn't seem to matter.

I think that's what happens when you base your opinion on what the media shows you, rather than on factual evidence. The frequency of Hamza and Qatada in the news has kind of brought with it this daft myth that nobody is ever deported from the UK.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5780
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/3/2013 4:55:38 AM   
Phubbs

quote:

quote:

If you are referring to Abu Qatada there, his deportation was most recently blocked by the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (a British court), not the ECHR. Which no doubt May will be doing her best to eradicate in the name of removing 'red tape'. The ECHR postponed Abu Hamza's extradition to the US only while they made sure he wasn't going to be executed or tortured (which isn't entirely unfair imo), before allowing it. That doesn't strike me as a court out of control or drunk with power. The ECHR has also upheld far more appealed UK deportation orders than it's blocked (nearly 4 times as many, in fact) but that doesn't seem to matter.

Effectively, what you are advocating is the power of the government of deport anyone, to anywhere, at any time with impunity and no recourse to law.

No I'm referring to many other cases recently but the main one was about a South London based African man who has been recently allowed to stay in the UK. The man is a career criminal and has been done for drug dealing, he has avoided being deported because of the 'right to a family' law/clause whatever. Despite the fact he had a child during his deportation evaluation process and it was proven he has no real interest in the child and hardly ever sees her. The bloke had a 'relationship' with one woman and a relationship with the same woman's sister or cousin or something, maybe a kid with each I don't recall. And yes it was a British high court ruling but I wouldn't be surprised if the EU had some sway in it. Theresa May is powering against this to try and get him out, kudos to her.

Here are some other cases pending or with similar high court rulings, the rulings of a soft country, mockery of Europe.

A. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21489072

B. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9825269/More-than-3000-foreign-criminals-fighting-deportation.html

C. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2052445/Violent-Jamaican-drug-dealer-twice-avoids-deportation-claiming-breach-human-rights.html

'Ellis came to Britain from Jamaica on a visitor's visa in 2001.' Why was he even allowed to stay then? UK visitor's visa is for 6 months maximum unless you're a student. On top of that he had committed a crime within the year!.

D. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-northerner/2013/feb/28/immigration-theresamay-democratic-republic-of-congo-uganda-sheffield

Pending immigration disaster/crisis in Dec...

A. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9904804/MPs-launch-inquiry-into-immigration-from-Bulgaria-and-Romania.html

'Ministers are said to fear a repeat of an immigration fiasco under the last Labour government when it was predicted that only 13,000 people would move to Britain from Poland and other countries in eastern Europe after 2004. In fact, more than one million came to Britain in one of the biggest immigrant waves in the countryís history.'

B. http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/381880/Battle-to-keep-out-EU-migrants

Germany is now trying to stop the pending influx...'Thatís the reason why we want to send people back, and this is what we have to regulate in European law. Thereís no problem when people are coming to Germany for work, thatís what we want in Europe, but we donít want people coming only to have social security.' Sounds familiar doesn't it.

'The fact that Germany is proposing to block the entry of Romania and Bulgaria shows concern about the constant enlargement of the EU is felt across Europe, not just in the UK.'

C. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9801349/UK-risks-becoming-refuge-for-foreign-criminals.html

D. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/9754042/Britain-will-be-weaker-without-EU-says-USA.html

Some Euro bigwigs and the US are now getting twitchy over the future of the UK. Exit from the EU seems very possible now as many want to be independent from Europe once again. The US are saying Europe without the UK will be a weaker Europe and are urging the UK not to leave, but are they just wanting an easy ride from us?.

'Ukip, which supports withdrawal from the union Britain joined under a Conservative government in 1973, has enjoyed strong showings in recent by-elections and has overtaken the Lib Dems to poll at between seven and 14 per cent.'

E. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/9901539/Herman-Van-Rompuy-attacks-Camerons-plans-to-claw-back-powers-from-Brussels.html

EU President practically threatens Cameron! I think we should tell Rompuy where to stick it, change may well be coming Europe.

F. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9907426/Latvia-formally-applies-to-join-eurozone.html

And finally...Latvia is to join the EU, I wonder why. And of course we all know what that will mean don't we, the next corner shop you see in 2014 will be a Latvian deli.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 6/3/2013 6:42:32 AM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5781
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/3/2013 8:46:30 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

No I'm referring to many other cases recently but the main one was about a South London based African man who has been recently allowed to stay in the UK. The man is a career criminal and has been done for drug dealing, he has avoided being deported because of the 'right to a family' law/clause whatever. Despite the fact he had a child during his deportation evaluation process and it was proven he has no real interest in the child and hardly ever sees her. The bloke had a 'relationship' with one woman and a relationship with the same woman's sister or cousin or something, maybe a kid with each I don't recall. And yes it was a British high court ruling but I wouldn't be surprised if the EU had some sway in it. Theresa May is powering against this to try and get him out, kudos to her.

I don't know the case you are talking about, however it seems he did have a child and the UK court ruled he could stay.
I don't see how Europe was involved.

quote:

And finally...Latvia is to join the EU, I wonder why. And of course we all know what that will mean don't we, the next corner shop you see in 2014 will be a Latvian deli.

Why would that be so bad? A EU national setting up a business, paying council tax, ensuring a public requirement is met, paying rent most likely etc etc.
Better that than a boarded up unused shop going to rack and ruin.
I agree with what this government are trying to do on Europe, but a lot of these anti-eastern European immigrant arguments just seem to be because we don't want them working over here. What needs to be done is that migration for benefits needs to be stopped and they need to be harder to get, which is what the current government are trying to do.
That's the right way to deal with it, not just stopping many motivated workers from wanting to come here.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 6/3/2013 8:49:58 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5782
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/3/2013 9:07:37 AM   
sanchia

quote:

What needs to be done is that migration for benefits needs to be stopped and they need to be harder to get, which is what the current government are trying to do.
That's the right way to deal with it, not just stopping many motivated workers from wanting to come here.

I agree wholeheartedly with you there. Beneficial migration where people are contributing to the economy and to the country is not a bad thing at all although some seem to want to claim it is just because the person originated abroad.

Looking at the figures migration is actually dropping (end of 2012 figures with a drop from 4% to 14% in the various categories) whilst the media seems to be trying to claim that migration is increasing?

An analysis of the impacts of migration actually show that the claims of benefit migration is massively overstated with migrants being less inclined to claim benefits or use the health service in comparison to the levels which the media claims state are correct (in other words the media is massively exaggeration the levels. I have to admit I do not understand all the statistics in the study nor the graphs (which are a bit freaky in some cases) but the general immigration has been beneficial to the economy and had insignificant impact upon employment levels. there are instances of immigrants taking advantage of the system but statistically they are actually far, far fewer than native born individuals.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5783
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/3/2013 6:10:41 PM   
Goodfella

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21496566

"Marital co-ercion"? Do me a favor. There must be thousands of woman out there who have suffered a variety of controlling marriages that are ultimately constituted as domestic violence who must balk when they hear something like that.

As for the Lib-Dem representative who had the gall to go on BBC News this evening and state, "whatever the circumstances of this being such a long time ago, we don't like to see someone convicted of this kind of crime." Sorry, what!? You should be applauding the British justice system for doing it's job properly and rightly convicting someone who is guilty of a crime that is totally worthy of a prison sentence. But that says it all doesn't it? We don't like one of our own being punished so publicly because that raises questions about all of us. Very, very foolish comments given the latest inquest into public prosecutions and the CPS as well.

I hope she sees the inside of a 12 foot by 8 foot room and I hope it's at the most unfriendly prison they can find. Popping her young daughter next to her right in front of camera-view isn't going to gain any sympathy from me either.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5784
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/3/2013 8:17:02 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

I just hope whatever revenge she got was worth it, stupid stupid woman.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5785
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/3/2013 8:27:47 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsFinkelstein

I always greatly disliked the pair of them, the 'power couple' of Westminster tagged it all up whenever you heard either of them speak, especially on debate shows. They were both bullies and deserve to see the inside of a prison cell.

I'm still incensed by the comment of the Lib Dem representative that I've posted above, if anyone can remember his name as I only briefly caught the clip would be much appreciated?

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5786
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/3/2013 9:41:04 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Are you truly this much of a dolt and can't recognize the difference between EU and Eurozone? Latvia has been in the EU since 2004. Latvian is an official language of the EU. It has been so for 9 years. The country that will join the EU is Croatia (and this is leaving out the blaming of the EU for things that can be simply blamed on Britian and it's own system), with Serbia maybe coming in the next 10 years and Turkey still in question. Latvia though, is EU. It's as EU as Lithuania, Estonia, Malta, Portugal or Poland.

Oh, and the idea that the EU will not really suffer that much (I have also heard the opinion of "Good Riddance" as well) with the UK leaving, that it might not actually effect at all, or might not even be possible and whatever the result is, the actual leaving will be one that will happen in a much longer time then expected are not unknown as well. The best opinion right now is still "Yeah, maybe those will happen and maybe not".

The Romania/Bulgaria issue involving Schengen doesn't just involve immigration as well, it's that the governments of those countries are a total mess and quite corrupt in a way that makes Italy and Greece occasionally look stable, well maybe not Greece but the point remains.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2013/03/romania-and-eu

Now, for your sake, shut up, you're embarassing yourself.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 7/3/2013 9:49:49 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5787
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/3/2013 11:03:17 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsFinkelstein

Very much this.

I'm not entirely sure the other LibDems have a case to answer here. Given she's shown herself to be seemingly out for revenge, would you believe anything she said? And, in context, was she scattergunning other accusations and bile as well? Because, if it was me, I'd just roll my eyes and delete the e-mail without believing a word.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5788
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/3/2013 6:51:08 PM   
Ghidorah

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21714549

So either David Cameron is either:

A. Doesn't know how economics works.
B. He made a mistake which isn't uncommon with world leaders.
C. He told a porkie to cover himself after mounting criticism from the coalition government.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5789
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/3/2013 6:54:46 PM   
elab49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21721320
http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-cameron-slips-up-on-bedroom-tax/12962

Not to mention several factual errors on bedroom tax. Not having a good week.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 5790
Page:   <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI