Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  190 191 [192] 193 194   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/2/2013 9:46:13 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

? I thought the Crick thing had already shown there were no witnesses - I wasn't disagreeing with that. Or do you mean the police? Isn't ignoring provocation what they're supposed to be trained to do? 

Well you would think so, but these comments seemingly upset them so much it had to be reported, not just internally but also to the press.

Plus the former police chief already confirmed that using one swear word in front of a police officer should quite rightly be a sackable offence

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5731
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/2/2013 10:21:13 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

The CCTV also doesn't show anyone seemingly overly annoyed, aggressive or offended either.
Maybe they were so professional they just didn't react to anything they claim he said.

Yep, exactly so. It all looks very friendly and not agressive at all.

Mitchell's camp may well have said initially that he 'lost it' but that would have been in reference to what he's always admitted, turning from the officer and and saying under his breath "I thought you were supposed to fucking help us'....

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5732
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/2/2013 10:53:55 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Good news on the vote, eh?

Excellent news, I was expecting the result to be closer. And looking out the window I notice that civilisation hasn't quite ended yet.

Will this really affect the Tories' chances of re-election in 2015 as the Mail & Sun are implying?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5733
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/2/2013 11:07:05 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Good news on the vote, eh?

Excellent news, I was expecting the result to be closer. And looking out the window I notice that civilisation hasn't quite ended yet.

Will this really affect the Tories' chances of re-election in 2015 as the Mail & Sun are implying?

I don't think so, but it may force a few of the old duffers out of the back row.

Cameron was very strong in his approval for this to be passed, and its an embarrassing stick to give the opposition that you still have people in your party that think this should be voted against. I think some Tory MPs may find another name on their ticket come 2015.

My favorite line came from Peter Bone, who said the government had no mandate for the change because it had not appeared in the coalition agreement or the Conservative or Liberal Democrat manifestos. He said: "You need a mandate for this. This whole exercise would have gone down well with Joseph Stalin."

That would be Joseph Stalin the well known early champion of equal rights for homosexuals.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 6/2/2013 11:11:19 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5734
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/2/2013 7:41:34 AM   
DancingClown

"Humiliating climbdown" for that cunt Gove:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21363396

My wife nearly cracked a smile on her way to work. Awesome. I really do feel quite sorry for the kids and the teachers, being treated so disdainfully as guinea pigs in such a volatile and publicly politicised 'battleground' of public service.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 5735
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/2/2013 8:46:28 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

So league tables stay, which is a terrible system, and we'll now have no clear way of identifying any of our top performers nor giving really gifted children something to aim for. I bet the top Universities will be chuffed.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5736
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/2/2013 9:57:42 AM   
Hood_Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOy87jBYMA

Ha ha... a ha... ah ha ha.... hah....

Post #: 5737
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/2/2013 10:40:29 AM   
elab49

The current system has problems, yes - but the botched proposals were a mess and added nothing to university admissions. A decent solution is still needed.

The one good idea, I thought, from the botched proposals was trying to reduce the nonsense of competing exam boards, which, at the moment, is causing as much of a problem as anything else. That still needs to be sorted and soon, I think. The creation of them in the first place was absolutely absurd.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5738
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/2/2013 5:34:39 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

So league tables stay, which is a terrible system, and we'll now have no clear way of identifying any of our top performers nor giving really gifted children something to aim for. I bet the top Universities will be chuffed.

Do top universities select based on GCSE performance tables? Or do they select based on whether you attend a state school or pivate school?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 5739
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 11:14:25 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Do top universities select based on GCSE performance tables? Or do they select based on whether you attend a state school or pivate school?

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5740
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 11:22:47 AM   
elab49

Is it possible you've misread Clowny's second statement as him saying this is the truth as opposed to both being pointed questions to which the answer is, technically, no?

Performance tables have no relevance to the admissions procoess, e.g.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 5741
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 12:08:38 PM   
Sinatra

My daughter has had offers from all 4 of her Uni choices... what a geek.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5742
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 12:12:53 PM   
elab49

Congratulations! Although too much choice can be a pain, it's a nice one. Does she a have a strong feel for which one she'd like to take up? 

quote:

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5743
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 1:33:50 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

<cough> Private school

Although she must be well made up, she wouldn't have gotten good odds of you being alive to make her graduation.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 8/2/2013 1:35:12 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5744
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 1:38:43 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Is it possible you've misread Clowny's second statement as him saying this is the truth as opposed to both being pointed questions to which the answer is, technically, no?

Performance tables have no relevance to the admissions procoess, e.g.

I'm going with Bob mis-reading. Performance tables are mostly irrelevant to discussion on universitiy admissions as UCAS forms are based on expected A-level grades (a whole two more years of education). And it's a well known fact that many more students who attend Russell Group universities are from independent schools or state grammar schools, so even if performance tables were obliterated universities would still know where the highest performing young-people with the richest parents reside...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5745
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 1:45:56 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

<cough> Private school

So did I. State school. Your point caller

quote:

Post #: 5746
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 2:17:23 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

<cough> Private school

So did I. State school. Your point caller

That Mattr is loaded, his daughter has done extremely well and has had offers from 4 of her Uni choices, so it was a light hearted commented that due to his financial position she must have gone to a private school as per Clownys comment.
Plus I also made a comment about Matt being an older father (not particularly with this child but hey).

Oh and you seem to have a deep fried potato on that left lapel as you've jumped in, commented for good measure that you got the same offer (well done you!), and seemingly took umbrage.

All points covered?

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 8/2/2013 2:37:38 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5747
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 2:31:00 PM   
elab49

Not really - I just assumed his daughter had done well because she was a bright kid and had worked bloody hard.

Again, I think you misread Clowny's earlier comment and you're still going forward on that basis

quote:

Post #: 5748
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 2:36:10 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Not really - I just assumed his daughter had done well because she was a bright kid and had worked bloody hard.

Again, I think you misread Clowny's earlier comment and you're still going forward on that basis

Nope still not following you on Clownys comment but its Friday so I'm not too worried about it.
If he is saying the league tables aren't a terrible idea, I would say he's quite wrong, and yes I am aware of where his works.
If he is saying that league tables aren't used for University admission then I'd agree, but that wasn't what I was commenting on.
It was the fact that seemingly we get to keep the tables, while losing a tougher examination geared at stretching top performers at a time when the top Universities were asking for a more credible qualification at 18 to highlight these kids.

Anyway you still jumped in rather unnecessarily but for the same reason as above I'm not going to hold a grudge for too long.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 8/2/2013 2:42:35 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5749
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 3:58:13 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

Nope still not following you on Clownys comment but its Friday so I'm not too worried about it.
If he is saying the league tables aren't a terrible idea, I would say he's quite wrong, and yes I am aware of where his works.
If he is saying that league tables aren't used for University admission then I'd agree, but that wasn't what I was commenting on.
It was the fact that seemingly we get to keep the tables, while losing a tougher examination geared at stretching top performers at a time when the top Universities were asking for a more credible qualification at 18 to highlight these kids.

Anyway you still jumped in rather unnecessarily but for the same reason as above I'm not going to hold a grudge for too long.

Performance tables are awful, because they make poorer schools play the performance table game rather than actually concentrate on what, y'know, may actually benefit the children they teach. Hey, more BTECs that are about as rigourous as a gentle tickle and the equivalent of four GCSEs! Marvellous.

Next time you comment on performance tables and univeristy entry in the same paragraph you might want to proof it Bob, so that it doesn't read like your making a correlation between one and the other. That way no confusion leads.

Post #: 5750
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 4:45:50 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

quote:

Performance tables are awful, because they make poorer schools play the performance table game rather than actually concentrate on what, y'know, may actually benefit the children they teach. Hey, more BTECs that are about as rigourous as a gentle tickle and the equivalent of four GCSEs! Marvellous.

Next time you comment on performance tables and univeristy entry in the same paragraph you might want to proof it Bob, so that it doesn't read like your making a correlation between one and the other. That way no confusion leads.

Apologies if anyone thought I was suggesting Universities used league tables to offer places, pretty sure it was self evident however obviously not. Otherwise you'd have everyone in a year getting into the top colleges based on their schools overall performance 2 years ago.
Dropping the overhaul meant we'd keep league tables, which I think work against getting the best education for your children, and the top Universities who have bemoaned both GCSEs and A-Levels as not meeting their requirements aren't going to be happy either.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 8/2/2013 4:55:29 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5751
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/2/2013 7:29:12 PM   
Rinc

Of course what is always forgotten when discussing how easy GCSEs are compared to O-Levels is that the percentage of students who could achieve each grade at O-Level was more of less fixed. Once that was changed of course A*-C percentages were going to increase.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 5752
RE: The British Politics Thread - 11/2/2013 10:38:02 AM   
Sinatra

hahaha quite a funny exchange above.... nope, state school Bob. She's just a very driven young lady.

4 kids in private school is just a tad OTT. Much better to make sure they have nice holidays...

Elab, she's favouring Bournmouth at the moment. She wants to do Sociology and Anthropology...!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5753
RE: The British Politics Thread - 11/2/2013 10:49:34 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Elab, she's favouring Bournmouth at the moment. She wants to do Sociology and Anthropology...!

Oooh and ology and another ology /MaureenLipman

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5754
RE: The British Politics Thread - 12/2/2013 3:14:08 PM   
Goodfella

I'd like to punch Mark Hoban in the face....

and then send him to HMV with an application form to see if he can get a job.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5755
RE: The British Politics Thread - 13/2/2013 11:24:34 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

whats he done now?

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5756
RE: The British Politics Thread - 13/2/2013 1:08:56 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

whats he done now?

His work placement plan (which being a current graduate I can assure is worth less than the paper it's written on) and his ethos that the a large portion of the long-term unemployed aren't willing to take minimum wage jobs, which to a degree is true given some of what I have personally witnessed, but talking about "minimum wage jobs" as if we have a glut of them when, since the turn of the year, four major high street retailers have gone out of business or entered administration is quite laughable.

I see Ed Balls is starting to come round to his way of thinking. Labour looking after the working man? I don't think so. Perhaps he wants to take some of the "minimum wage jobs" I've had. 55 hours in the summer season, 12 in the winter. 12 hours amounts to less than JSA by the way, not that that's an approach I'd take, but plenty would and that's a stark reality.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

Post #: 5757
RE: The British Politics Thread - 13/2/2013 6:06:26 PM   
Goodfella

Norman Lamb is another one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21430956

This will come as no great surprise to anyone who works within the home care industry, or knows someone who does as in my case. Two of my best friends are home carers and all this report does is vocalize what they have been telling their families and friends for months. Both of them had very poor and limited training, within six weeks of actually going full time on the job themselves, one of them was training another carer! The training they received was basically a week-long course in which they spent most of their time in a local community centre filling out multiple question tests and watching 1980s videotapes. For the first two weeks on the job they shadowed another carer (like I point out above that in some cases that carer hadn't been in the job long themselves!) and then they were set out on their own, regardless of whether they felt comfortable with this. The management is poor and uninformative, I'll give you an example, one of my friends last year had a new client added to her schedule, she arrived at this client's house on the first scheduled date and at the right time only to find that the client had passed away the previous week, she was informed by the son who was clearing her house at the time. He had informed her employers 11 days previously, no-one had informed her, as you can imagine this was incredibly awkward and embarrassing for her, as well as I imagine, quite unsettling for the son of the late client in question, luckily he was understanding and realized it was the company's mistake, when my friend pursued this with her manager she was pretty much told to suck it up. Both are often left to do things with their clients, like changing colostomy bags, that they don't feel comfortable with and have received little to no training on. Some of the clients understandably suffer from mentally debilitating illnesses and they are given no training to help with this, nor with their families, some of these clients live with husbands or wives who are unable to take care of them and in some cases these relations have problems themselves, another example, this company recently removed a client from their books because her husband had been sexually harassing several of the carers, including one of my friends. About the only decent thing they have actually done, although they didn't report it to the relevant social services or other authorities who could get the right help for this family in question, who still need caring assistance despite the obvious problems with the husband. Instead much like the carers were when the first four reports of problems were ignored, they are left out in the cold. The carers were also advised not to report the problems themselves, "the company would deal with it."

They are paid a pittance and those that drive are given the ridiculous amount of 21-30p a mile. They often work split shifts that start as early as 5.30am in the morning due to traveling distance and can finish as late as 11.30pm at night. They can work up to 14-hour days which last time I checked is against the law but that's nothing new, Trade Union law is a joke in this country, it's not worth the paper it's written on if the government chooses not to track and enforce it, and with Maggie's boys in control there's no great surprise there is there? Also their schedules are customized to their "contracts" so they get a certain amount of hours a week pending whether they are full or part-time, however when some of their clients are away, often in hospital which given these are elderly clients is a regular occurence, their appointments are still included on their schedule as official hours of work although they don't go and see the clients and are not paid for the time they would have, something else I don't understand, surely a law is being broken there?

Those are just some of the personal experiences of my friends, I could go on, the list is very long! Both of them are more experienced having done the job previously and whilst they are both frequently seeking employment with other, better companies in the same industry, with families to support and homes and bills to pay for and in this low-employment market and with the current and future state of economy, neither are in a position to quit their jobs, even on principle, and actually both of them do enjoy the aspects of being a care-worker, for lack of a better choice of words, wiping bums and cleaning up bodily fluids requires a lot of patience and a lot of dedication for the more positive and rewarding aspects of the job. Basically, you wouldn't do that if you weren't getting something out of it other than just the money. You can stack shelves at my two local Tescos' for about the same pay and even in this job market they are usually looking to take people on.

I fully appreciate that there are 'bad' carers out there, as there are in any category of employment that offers a direct service to the general public but Lamb's line of questioning, especially in regards to the punctuality of carers, stunk of the usual Conservatism of blaming the small person and bailing out the businessman. At least Baroness Blake noted that it was the set-up of these companies that often can be linked to the main cause of problems. Age UK as well stating "neglectful care" jumped the gun nicely, I'll be anticipating the Panorama documentary that will have reactionary types tarring every carer with the same brush and encouraging everyone to put webcams up in their elderly mother's bedroom. The report's main concern was on the scheduling of carers and rushed visits and punctuality, often not the carer's fault and I think the main attention needs to be focused on the companies and the way they are run and the aggression towards maximum profit over quality of service.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5758
RE: The British Politics Thread - 13/2/2013 8:48:56 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

Have to agree with you there Goodfella - the carers do a damn good job on the whole, for a pittance really. They have a lot to do within a set time, very little leeway timewise given for getting to other clients, paltry training and travel expenses. The carers who visited my MIL before she died were all great, often going above and beyond. I work as a nurse and know in every 'people centred' service there will those who just aren't up to par, they are in a definate minority yet they diminish everyone else.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5759
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/2/2013 4:24:25 AM   
galvatron

How long till they're sending old people to the glue factory...

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5760
Page:   <<   < prev  190 191 [192] 193 194   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  190 191 [192] 193 194   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI