Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  189 190 [191] 192 193   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 31/1/2013 4:09:12 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

On an unrelated point, don't you guys work? Hehe I'm on holiday right now, just curious :)

I'm guessing on an island without them pesky Muslims and Blacks, you daft racist.

I am at work. And that made me laugh out loud.

I decided I'm going to call my electronic/dance band Daft Racist.

Our lyrics will mostly be hate speech and instead of looking like robots we'll wear KKK robes.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 31/1/2013 4:10:09 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5701
RE: The British Politics Thread - 31/1/2013 4:15:34 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I decided I'm going to call my electronic/dance band Daft Racist.

Our lyrics will mostly be hate speech and instead of looking like robots we'll wear KKK robes.

Kind of like this then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2NqfISm9k

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 5702
RE: The British Politics Thread - 31/1/2013 8:54:13 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

This thread makes me glad to be a proud black immigrant whose gay partner, Ahmed, is actually a mop.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5703
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/2/2013 1:27:51 PM   
Brundlesflies

Chris Huhne pleads guilty - resigns as MP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21320992

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 5704
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 9:41:14 AM   
Sinatra

What a complete prick...

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 5705
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 10:09:19 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

and an interesting program again last night on the "plebgate" incident.
The Police really do not look good on this, basically deliberately making misleading comments to the press to keep the story going.

I hope he sues the living shit out of the Police Federation and the press.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5706
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 10:12:27 AM   
Sinatra

Yes, I saw that too mate. As I said on here when people were making out that Mitchell was Satan and suggesting this shouldn't even be investigated... there are 2 sides to every story and he has always been stead-fast in exactly what he said that night.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5707
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 10:28:26 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Well it seems as if it was a straight forward stitch up from the Police federation, with some involvement from senior police officials.

Some of them could very likely find themselves on the end of some nasty charges, although its a good job the documentary won't let go, as the Police had closed the case as apparently nothing could be traced.

Apart from the recording of the meeting with the Police Federation where he basically came straight out to the press and lied in order to keep the story going and increase the pressure on him. The fact that they continued to allow the newspaper to report on something being a police report when it was clear it wasn't, plus the fact that the independent witness worked for the police, and that the reports from the police on duty that night didn't match the CCTV at all.
All the above were covered up so that Mitchell would swing. There should be some very serious questions raised here but the press and public don't seem interested anymore. Funny that.

PS. Hope John Gaunt gets the arse sued off him too for all the additional trouble he stirred up , nasty poisonous little man.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5708
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 10:43:26 AM   
elab49

Were those comments not in the police report? I hadn't seen that.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 5709
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 11:03:01 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Yes, I saw that too mate. As I said on here when people were making out that Mitchell was Satan and suggesting this shouldn't even be investigated... there are 2 sides to every story and he has always been stead-fast in exactly what he said that night.

Has he? I always thought he was evasive. He denied saying "pleb" but wouldn't say exactly what he did say. Unless I'm missing something.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5710
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 11:07:29 AM   
elab49

I though he denied a lot originally (including the bust-up) and then eventually reduced that to a denial that the most toxic word was said.

I wasn't aware this word wasn't in the police report in the first place. Clearly shenanigans have gone on around how the police force have spun this (although amusingly the Torygraph weighed in with plenty of comment on Mitchell's attitude to staff at International Devt that made clear they though the word was happily in his vocab) and that's something they'll have to answer for.

But that doesn't change the initial report?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5711
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 11:35:03 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Has he? I always thought he was evasive. He denied saying "pleb" but wouldn't say exactly what he did say. Unless I'm missing something.

He was told not to make any comment to the press, but did deny the "pleb" comment.
He went into a meeting with the police federation where he stated exactly what he did say, which in the meeting the police federation accepted wasn't aimed at anyone and was said under his breath. The Federation then came straight out of that meeting and gave an interview to the press stating that he wouldn't divulge what he said and the press reported that.
Needless to say those senior members of the federation are now under investigation, but only because Mitchell had the good sense to record the meeting without them knowing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I though he denied a lot originally (including the bust-up) and then eventually reduced that to a denial that the most toxic word was said.

I wasn't aware this word wasn't in the police report in the first place. Clearly shenanigans have gone on around how the police force have spun this (although amusingly the Torygraph weighed in with plenty of comment on Mitchell's attitude to staff at International Devt that made clear they though the word was happily in his vocab) and that's something they'll have to answer for.

To be fair it was a total non-story so I can totally understand denying the bust up. It wasn't until the Police made up statements and release internal reports to the press that it became a public interest story on the back of the two officers shot in Manchester.
From there the federation make false accusations, deliberately allowed the press to make false representation, deliberately mislead the press by giving false statements, and doing all this while using the deaths of PC Hughes and Brown to further there plebgate propaganda.

It's an absolute disgrace, but I bet this is swept neatly away as he is no longer in government and the Police had already tried to cover up one investigation.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 5712
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 11:50:27 AM   
DancingClown

I wonder if he'll get his job back?

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 5713
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 12:01:21 PM   
Sinatra

In reply to DC, Bob has said it all really.

quote:

He went into a meeting with the police federation where he stated exactly what he did say, which in the meeting the police federation accepted wasn't aimed at anyone and was said under his breath. The Federation then came straight out of that meeting and gave an interview to the press stating that he wouldn't divulge what he said and the press reported that.

Needless to say those senior members of the federation are now under investigation, but only because Mitchell had the good sense to record the meeting without them knowing.

This was a crucial part of last nights show... and the guy that grilled Mitchell in that meeting squirmed in his seat when he was told that Mitchell had fully co-operated during the meeting, stating clearly what he had said that night. and that this clown had then thanked Mitchell for his openess and then gone straight to the press and said that Mitchell had been evasive???? WTF!!

What really got my attention about this case was the fact that Mitchell just wouldn't let it go... it struck me that he was acting like a man who had been wronged... and that is exactly what it is now looking like.

I'm not saying he's a saint, but no way should he have lost his job.

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 5/2/2013 12:02:06 PM >

Post #: 5714
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 12:21:59 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

I'm not saying he's a saint, but no way should he have lost his job.

I actually think he's probably a bit of a cunt, however a corrupt police force targeting and taking down a senior government minister should be a huge story, but its seemingly less of a story than a senior minister calling an police officer a pleb.
A also note that Cock and Balls seems to be rather mute on the subject, which they were only too happy to try and make political gains on only a couple of months ago.

Another favorite from last night was the ex senior policeman who said it was all irrelevant because he did say "fucking" albeit under his breath in front of a police officer and therefore should still lose his job. Presumably this works both ways and every policeman caught swearing will also be forced to resign. Fucking idiot.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 5/2/2013 12:23:20 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5715
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 12:54:28 PM   
DancingClown

In other news I note that the bill for gay marriage is due to be voted on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21325702

I am a little bit confused by this "consummation and adultery problem" argument that the opponents seem to be trying to push. Wonder how the vote'll pan out.

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 5716
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 1:04:42 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

He was told not to make any comment to the press, but did deny the "pleb" comment.

quote:

To be fair it was a total non-story so I can totally understand denying the bust up. It wasn't until the Police made up statements and release internal reports to the press that it became a public interest story on the back of the two officers shot in Manchester.
From there the federation make false accusations, deliberately allowed the press to make false representation, deliberately mislead the press by giving false statements, and doing all this while using the deaths of PC Hughes and Brown to further there plebgate propaganda.

It's an absolute disgrace, but I bet this is swept neatly away as he is no longer in government and the Police had already tried to cover up one investigation.

I'm sorry, but the 'witness' seems to have made up a statement and lied about being there and that seems to be what the police fed etc seem to have used hugely inappropriately. Absolutely.

Who said the police logging the initial report lied?

Is it a non-story? Well, given we have one senior Tory politician telling us people who abuse police officers deserve prison time and another senior Tory politician doing so then no - I don't think it's a non-story. And any joe bloggs in the street would probably get lifted for Mitchell admits he did. Remember, he admitted most everything. The only thing he ended up disputing was one word.

Did the original police in their initial log say he used the word pleb? For all the spin and flummery about martyrdom, if that part still stands then the furore likely still would have occurred without police lies. Because that particular word with this particular cabinet is a story in itself.

quote:

Post #: 5717
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 1:13:58 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

In other news I note that the bill for gay marriage is due to be voted on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21325702

I am a little bit confused by this "consummation and adultery problem" argument that the opponents seem to be trying to push. Wonder how the vote'll pan out.

Apparently the whole "consummation" question is a total fallacy anyway. Failure to consummate the marriage is not grounds for divorce, but rather requires an anullment of the marriage.  The whole "only between man and woman in law" argument that the anti-gay marriage brigade are quoting is totally irrelevant to the issue.

As for the issue of adultery, are they saying that in the history of divorce on these grounds, the third party has never been the same sex as the person committing adultery?  I very much doubt it!

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 5/2/2013 1:19:04 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 5718
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 2:12:45 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

I'm sorry, but the 'witness' seems to have made up a statement and lied about being there and that seems to be what the police fed etc seem to have used hugely inappropriately. Absolutely.

The report last night highlighted this, and that a fair number (pretty sure they said all) of the protection force on Downing Street that night were currently under investigation and currently suspended.

quote:

Is it a non-story? Well, given we have one senior Tory politician telling us people who abuse police officers deserve prison time and another senior Tory politician doing so then no - I don't think it's a non-story.

But he didn't abuse anyone, that's the whole point, even if you don't want that to be the case.
What did he say that was so abusive?

quote:

And any joe bloggs in the street would probably get lifted for Mitchell admits he did. Remember, he admitted most everything. The only thing he ended up disputing was one word.

Not true, infact quite far off the mark.

quote:

Did the original police in their initial log say he used the word pleb? For all the spin and flummery about martyrdom, if that part still stands then the furore likely still would have occurred without police lies. Because that particular word with this particular cabinet is a story in itself.

Do you mean the log they leaked to the press which wasn't a log but contained the word Pleb, and the other so called offensive phrases?
There is no evidence he did say Pleb, and there serious contradictory evidence that he said anything offensive to them at all.

I think you are entrenched in your original position, despite the evidence pointing to the fact that it clearly isn't the case.

From today's Guardian

"It wasn't until December that the "pleb" part of the story was challenged when CCTV footage threw into doubt the police log and an email purporting to be an eyewitness account of the event emerged, which may clear his name of some of the claims. An investigation was immediately launched by Scotland Yard and three police officers have been arrested in connection with the scandal."

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 5/2/2013 2:25:45 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5719
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 2:36:28 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Remember, he admitted most everything. The only thing he ended up disputing was one word.

That is absolutely wrong...

I think you need to watch last nights program. He highlights exactly what he says he said and it's completely different to the log, not just one word.

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 5/2/2013 2:52:31 PM >

Post #: 5720
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 2:37:33 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

From today's Guardian

Finally, a Guardian quote that I agree with....

Post #: 5721
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 6:30:09 PM   
sanchia

I never knew what exactly made the pleb thing supposedly such and issue (true or not). To be called a plebeian is not insulting.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5722
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 6:54:09 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

The report last night highlighted this, and that a fair number (pretty sure they said all) of the protection force on Downing Street that night were currently under investigation and currently suspended.

quote:

Is it a non-story? Well, given we have one senior Tory politician telling us people who abuse police officers deserve prison time and another senior Tory politician doing so then no - I don't think it's a non-story.

But he didn't abuse anyone, that's the whole point, even if you don't want that to be the case.
What did he say that was so abusive?

quote:

And any joe bloggs in the street would probably get lifted for Mitchell admits he did. Remember, he admitted most everything. The only thing he ended up disputing was one word.

Not true, infact quite far off the mark.

quote:

Do you mean the log they leaked to the press which wasn't a log but contained the word Pleb, and the other so called offensive phrases?
There is no evidence he did say Pleb, and there serious contradictory evidence that he said anything offensive to them at all.

I think you are entrenched in your original position, despite the evidence pointing to the fact that it clearly isn't the case.

So what exactly did Mitchell initially apologise for if not a run-in with police officers during which he was at fault? He did issue an apology - I can't have imagined that because I do remember part of the Police Federation's attack was that it was a pathetic one. I didn't say he agreed with the log word for word apart from that because I wasn't sure whether part of the investigation suggested it wasn't the original one that was published. But he did apologise and the phrase used at the time was he 'lost it'.

So this is where I'm confused. Did the entire thing not take place now? I know I disagree with FB on whether or not it was a story - but, 'pleb' aside, it did happen?

As for entrenched, I initially asked a question. About the original report of the incident - whether, in fact, other than Mitchell saying he didn't say pleb, on which the two policement and he disagree, that report had changed. That question wasn't answered so I assumed this was still a discussion on the wider scandal.

I think 'pleb' is generally seen as dismissive and is used as an insult in many contexts. Used by a member of this Cabinet it would be a story inofitself. And was

quote:

Post #: 5723
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 6:57:43 PM   
elab49

Oh, and Sinatra's right as I didn't see the report. Again, that's why I asked the first question (because what news stories I've read about it seem to get very confused about which report they're going on about and it is normally the witness and the leak.)

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5724
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 7:22:06 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

So what exactly did Mitchell initially apologise for if not a run-in with police officers during which he was at fault? He did issue an apology - I can't have imagined that because I do remember part of the Police Federation's attack was that it was a pathetic one. I didn't say he agreed with the log word for word apart from that because I wasn't sure whether part of the investigation suggested it wasn't the original one that was published. But he did apologise and the phrase used at the time was he 'lost it'.

"Well I did not swear at a policeman, what I did was to say in frustration as I turned away from the main gates - look I thought you guys [the police] were supposed to f.ing help us. That was a comment on the situation. but it's not swearing at a policeman. but it was bad language and I apologised for that and my apology was accepted."

That apology was highlighted in the meeting with the police federation, and they accepted his version of those events and the apology.
They then went outside and gave a complete contradictory statement to the press.
As I said above it would have been fine if Mitchell hadn't recorded it.

quote:

So this is where I'm confused. Did the entire thing not take place now? I know I disagree with FB on whether or not it was a story - but, 'pleb' aside, it did happen?

The fact that a first note of the incident didn't mention plebs. It was the police officers report later who stated that pleb had been used and backed up by an independent witness who turned out to be a police federation member who was never there.

quote:

As for entrenched, I initially asked a question. About the original report of the incident - whether, in fact, other than Mitchell saying he didn't say pleb, on which the two policement and he disagree, that report had changed. That question wasn't answered so I assumed this was still a discussion on the wider scandal.

Well one person who stated it had been said has been arrested, the protection officers who put it in their report are suspended and under investigation as the CCTV doesn't support their evidence, and the Federation rep who also stated it to the press is also under investigation and possible legal action. He has also been proven to be disparately misleading in that interview he gave afterwards.

quote:

I think 'pleb' is generally seen as dismissive and is used as an insult in many contexts. Used by a member of this Cabinet it would be a story inofitself. And was

but he seemingly didn't say it, or at least the evidence of those who claimed he did is very unreliable.

Also here's an interesting comment from the Police federation who knew The Sun reports based on a leak from the force didn't seem correct but decided to do nothing.

quote:

Andrew Mitchell's situation got much worse - when the Police Federation got their teeth into the story. The Federation was in dispute with the government about proposed cuts to the service - so for them the 'plebgate' story was a gift.

Channel 4 Dispatches have discovered that The Sun got the 'plebgate' story from a copy of what purported to be a police document and that they had passed that on to the Chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, John Tully, for verification.

,Mr Tully tells the programme he had had some reservations about the document's veracity.

"I couldn't confirm the veracity of it because I didn't know who it had come from and if it had been constructed by anyone", he says.

The Sun had published the story - but not the document. The Telegraph did publish the document and identified it as a police log.

"Well the concern I have, my concern is that it has always been called a police log and it is nothing like a police log.", says John Tully.

Tully also expressed concerns about how The Sun got hold of confidential information but never reported it to the Metropolitan Police.

"I can't remember my exact conversation with The Sun but I was concerned that if it had been an original document - how they had come about it was a worry to me yes.", says Tully.

When asked if he reported it, Tully says: "No - Not to the Met police."

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 5/2/2013 7:24:07 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5725
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 7:31:25 PM   
elab49

Interesting. I had not seen before the suggestion that there were two notes of the original incident - the references at the time suggested they were making statements regarding the original report/log made on the day.

Re Mitchell's behaviour - that make it seem tame but I'm absolutely positive I saw the words 'lost it' from his camp, as an explanation/excuse, at the time. Which, of course, I'm going to have to find now! But that suggests more than a laconic drawl about 'fucking helping'.

quote:

Post #: 5726
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 7:34:02 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

The CCTV also doesn't show anyone seemingly overly annoyed, aggressive or offended either.
Maybe they were so professional they just didn't react to anything they claim he said.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5727
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 7:49:43 PM   
elab49

? I thought the Crick thing had already shown there were no witnesses - I wasn't disagreeing with that. Or do you mean the police? Isn't ignoring provocation what they're supposed to be trained to do? 

quote:

Post #: 5728
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 7:51:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

Good news on the vote, eh?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5729
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/2/2013 7:54:15 PM   
elab49

Indeed. I still think it's absurd that it was even an issue. 

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5730
Page:   <<   < prev  189 190 [191] 192 193   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  189 190 [191] 192 193   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI