Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  187 188 [189] 190 191   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:08:34 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I believe what the reviewer said was that when it comes to the science fiction/fantasy genre, black people are GENERALLY less interested than most demographics. He then pointed out that NOT ALL black people aren't interested in sci-fi, but generally the 'urban community' don't rush out to the likes of Star Trek or Star Wars.

Even that's probably a sweeping generalisation on the RLM bloke's part (unless there's been some research into these demographics).

Isn't he at best describing the interest in a genre in one of the cultures in the US (which in some way, African Americans might, maybe might, be placed under, they're quite different then the black people in the UK, as different as a man from Utah is from a man from Aberdeen) rather then BLACK PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND SHIT ALL OVER THE PLANET. He's also trying to guess why Jackson's casting is there and is being very snarky on Lucas for thinking in such a way. There's also that what Plinkett says has occasionally be taken with a pinch of salt. There's also places where sci-fi is snubbed and the skin is white but such subtleties are lost on Phubbs.

Well, this is the thing - I've never really bothered with RLM, so I wouldn't know if he was saying it "in character" but Timon seemed to be suggesting this was a serious point Plinkett was attempting to make. Also it was perfectly obvious I was talking about African-Americans, your fatuous use of all caps was wholly unnecessary.

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 30/1/2013 4:09:08 PM >

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5641
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:11:29 PM   
Olaf

+10 points for using the word 'fatuous'. Genuinely one of my favourite underrated adjectives.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 5642
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:12:11 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I believe what the reviewer said was that when it comes to the science fiction/fantasy genre, black people are GENERALLY less interested than most demographics. He then pointed out that NOT ALL black people aren't interested in sci-fi, but generally the 'urban community' don't rush out to the likes of Star Trek or Star Wars.

Even that's probably a sweeping generalisation on the RLM bloke's part (unless there's been some research into these demographics).

Isn't he at best describing the interest in a genre in one of the cultures in the US (which in some way, African Americans might, maybe might, be placed under, they're quite different then the black people in the UK, as different as a man from Utah is from a man from Aberdeen) rather then BLACK PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND SHIT ALL OVER THE PLANET. He's also trying to guess why Jackson's casting is there and is being very snarky on Lucas for thinking in such a way. There's also that what Plinkett says has occasionally be taken with a pinch of salt. There's also places where sci-fi is snubbed and the skin is white but such subtleties are lost on Phubbs.

Well, this is the thing - I've never really bothered with RLM, so I wouldn't know if he was saying it "in character" but Timon seemed to be suggesting this was a serious point Plinkett was attempting to make. Also it was perfectly obvious I was talking about African-Americans, your fatuous use of all caps was wholly unnecessary.

My deepest apologies there, I did not mean the caps to be aimed at you, definitely not, but at the way Phubbs' was arguing.

It's kinda hard to see what RLM means and doesn't in that show. With the reviews there is satire going on and Timon could have the right perception

< Message edited by Deviation -- 30/1/2013 4:14:13 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 5643
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:13:38 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

Official racist people on this forum power rankings

1. Phubbs
2. Dev
3. John Terry (aka 'Professor Moriarty')
4. Everyone else

Don't think I haven't been on to you for months now, JT.

You shag Wayne Bridge's Mrs a couple of times and pee in a pint glass and suddenly everyone wants to call you JT

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5644
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:14:49 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

My deepest apologies there, I did not mean the caps to be aimed at you, definitely not, but at the way Phubbs' was arguing.

Ah, I see. No worries, dude - apology accepted.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5645
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:35:53 PM   
Rhubarb

Hey guys did you see the news about...wait what the hell went on here?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 5646
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:41:30 PM   
Professor Moriarty

The thread was invaded by some non-indigenous posts, taking away the rights and women of the on topic posts.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 5647
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:44:49 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

How we all doing in the Multicultural League of Justice grand hall? The United Force of Liberal supermen .

It amuses me that Phubbs is attempting to be all 'pally' and ironic with us now that he's had his bottom handed to him.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5648
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:47:13 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Ah, I see. No worries, dude - apology accepted.

Thanks, and again, sorry for that, I should have made my patronizing intentions clearer and better write who they were meant for.

quote:

The thread was invaded by some non-indigenous posts, taking away the rights and women of the on topic posts.

I'M SORRY COMMONWEALTH BRO

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5649
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:48:24 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

That's only half the story. Mixed race mops moved here from Bulgaria because the BBC said they could claim benefits from the NHS, they stole all the white women and then voted for Obama who went on to play Sam Jackson in Star Wars.

Post #: 5650
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:49:25 PM   
Deviation

Really though, as steffols said, there are a modicum of relevant points referring to serious problems in Phubbs posts, it's infuriating they get lost under all the stupidity.

quote:

That's only half the story. Mixed race mops moved here from Bulgaria because the BBC said they could claim benefits from the NHS, they stole all the white women and then voted for Obama who went on to play Sam Jackson in Star Wars.

Kicking out Slavics out of the white race I see.

Hitler would be proud (even if Bulgaria were part of the Axis OH WHO CARES I'M CALLING YOU HITLER)

< Message edited by Deviation -- 30/1/2013 4:51:57 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5651
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:50:28 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Oh and Dev got banned. Or had a post deleted. I'm not sure which.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5652
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:53:18 PM   
Deviation

I am indeed banned. This is a ghost profile.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 5653
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 4:54:05 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

Oh and Dev got banned.

If only, right.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 5654
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 5:08:32 PM   
Phubbs

quote:

quote:

Official racist people on this forum power rankings

1. Phubbs
2. Dev
3. John Terry (aka 'Professor Moriarty')
4. Everyone else

Lol!! You've been outed and exposed, apparently, you racist lol!!

Post #: 5655
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 5:49:26 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Does anyone know where I can find a good facepalm gif?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5656
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 5:51:57 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

It's not a good facepalm gif unless it's from Star Trek.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 5657
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 5:52:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 5658
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 5:53:32 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

It's not a good facepalm gif unless it's from Star Trek.

Your multiculturalism sickens me.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5659
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 5:54:18 PM   
Timon

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 5660
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 5:57:45 PM   
Timon

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5661
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 6:08:35 PM   
Rhubarb

Can we start calling Professor Moriarty "Empire's brave Professor Moriarty"?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5662
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 7:09:53 PM   
sanchia

Taking a serious note, there does need to be an intelligent debate about immigration and capacity of the finite sources of this country to cope with it as indeed there are some parts of the country where there are problems due to lack of integration and strain on resources due to rapid population growth which can be a problem (although in my experience most immigrants do tend to try to integrate). However, when you have people who rely upon using the term "liberal" as an insult (it meaning someone who favours progress or reform and is favourable to freedoms of the individual) then the debate is pretty much eliminated at that point as what is their point. When someone relies upon stereotype and generalisation rather than verifiable and provable fact then that too makes the debate pointless as they have nothing to argue with so make things up or apply the actions of a small population to a whole which is also pointless.

Sadly there are far too many out there who do such and they are generally the type of people who deny people are British even if they are third or fourth generation. Rationale, intelligent, debate supported by fact is required not half truths painted with a liberal (there's that word again) layer of rhetoric and stereotype as the opponents tend to have such a want to do.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 5663
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 8:22:38 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Taking a serious note, there does need to be an intelligent debate about immigration and capacity of the finite sources of this country to cope with it as indeed there are some parts of the country where there are problems due to lack of integration and strain on resources due to rapid population growth which can be a problem (although in my experience most immigrants do tend to try to integrate). However, when you have people who rely upon using the term "liberal" as an insult (it meaning someone who favours progress or reform and is favourable to freedoms of the individual) then the debate is pretty much eliminated at that point as what is their point. When someone relies upon stereotype and generalisation rather than verifiable and provable fact then that too makes the debate pointless as they have nothing to argue with so make things up or apply the actions of a small population to a whole which is also pointless.

Sadly there are far too many out there who do such and they are generally the type of people who deny people are British even if they are third or fourth generation. Rationale, intelligent, debate supported by fact is required not half truths painted with a liberal (there's that word again) layer of rhetoric and stereotype as the opponents tend to have such a want to do.

The problem I think is that it appears that a sensible debate on the subject may be impossible, since for many it seems such an emotive issue. And the way it is presented in the media certainly doesn't help. Last year the Telegraph ran a banner headline announcing that 370,000 immigrants were claiming out-of-work benefits, a figure sure to alarm those of a certain persuasion. Except, the report made no mention of how many of those claims were perfectly legitimate, based on contributions made previously. The reader was essentially left to assume that they were somehow fraudulent. Further study reveals that over half of them were now UK citizens (not a process that happens overnight), and that approximately only 2% of the non EEA immigrant claims were considered fraudulent. This of course ignores the fact that many studies have shown immigrants to be on average far less dependant on benefits than UK nationals anyway.

There is also scare-mongering about the country being 'taken over' (yes you, Phubbs), yet you rarely hear much in the media about the 391,000 UK migrants to Spain in 2011 (a modest estimate, and of people who are entitled to reciprocal benefits themselves). Or how many of the migrants to the UK are students etc. Again, we are left to assume they are piling in from the east, presumably just to feast on benefits. Germany, Spain, Belgium, Sweden and Austria all have a higher % of foreign-born population, while France, Holland and Greece are only fractionally behind the UK. Equally, the UK's net migration figures are lower than Italy, Portugal, Spain, and not much higher than Denmark or Greece. In other words, probably somewhere just slightly north of the EU average.

The fact is, while any immigration system can always be improved, UK migration is not as out of control as many are lead to believe. And using London as proof of how out of control it is ridiculous - it is a Capital and a world city. Such cities across the world typically have high numbers of immigrants (New York, Paris, Sydney, LA etc all have very high immigrant populations).

< Message edited by superdan -- 30/1/2013 8:23:43 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5664
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 8:36:14 PM   
sanchia

Also the claims with regards to benefits immigrants are eligible for are often overstated if not grossly overblown which usually can be down to one or two cases applied to the whole by the media which people buy into without actually researching the reality behind the claims.

There is an interesting study on immigration HERE

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5665
RE: The British Politics Thread - 30/1/2013 10:34:44 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

It amuses me that Phubbs is attempting to be all 'pally' and ironic with us now that he's had his bottom handed to him.

Bottom handling? Cool, we're onto the queers now.

I can't stand them and you just wait until that damn Barrowman runs for PM, they'll be all flouncing their way to the ballot box.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5666
RE: The British Politics Thread - 31/1/2013 8:32:40 AM   
Phubbs

Actually I did read somewhere (newspaper probably, can't remember when) that there are large numbers of foreign students 'lost' in the UK. In other words people had come over as students (unsure if they genuinely were or not, I'm sure most were) and disappeared into the country, the Home Office or whoever can't track them down haha!. Apparently coming over as a student is an easy way into the UK for obvious reasons.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5667
RE: The British Politics Thread - 31/1/2013 8:52:31 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Actually I did read somewhere (newspaper probably, can't remember when) that there are large numbers of foreign students 'lost' in the UK. In other words people had come over as students (unsure if they genuinely were or not, I'm sure most were) and disappeared into the country, the Home Office or whoever can't track them down haha!. Apparently coming over as a student is an easy way into the UK for obvious reasons.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 31/1/2013 8:54:35 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5668
RE: The British Politics Thread - 31/1/2013 10:18:35 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Haha yeah right I mean who would ever do that 'lost students' that's hilarious we're all bona fide UK citizens here on this forum

No but seriously stop with the racism. "we are being bred out"? jesus christ man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5669
RE: The British Politics Thread - 31/1/2013 10:49:42 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

quote:

How we all doing in the Multicultural League of Justice grand hall? The United Force of Liberal supermen .

The sandwiches are nicer than the Myopic Racist League grand hall.

Yeah, the fillings leave a less bitter taste in your mouth, and nobody sees fit to rant if you happen to like your sandwiches made from Kingsmill 50/50 bread.

As for the whole "Sam L Jackson in Star Wars" discussion, I seem to recall an interview with the man around '96 (on TFI Friday if memory serves) in which he announced that he really wanted to work with Lucas, following which the part of Mace Windu was created for him.  Now, was George's decision taken to appease or attract a particular movie-going demographic?  Or maybe was it, you know, that having the name of a respected, high-profile and recently Oscar-nominated actor associated with your planned movie might actually be beneficial in attracting (a) investors and (b) the general non-fanboy movie-going public to the project?   And why does a particular scene in Chasing Amy keep running through my head?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5670
Page:   <<   < prev  187 188 [189] 190 191   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  187 188 [189] 190 191   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI