Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  182 183 [184] 185 186   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/1/2013 8:53:08 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

How did offering Police officers the higher rate of pay increase standards?

Surely the most common situation would be, as when they bumped nurses starting pay, people applying for the higher pay levels rather than because they wanted to serve the public.
I can't see someone who really wants to work in the Police (or Nursing for that matter) being put off because the starting pay has dropped, especially with the Police when they can see start on 22K if they've already done community policing.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5491
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/1/2013 9:09:26 AM   
superdan

As I've heard said several times since yesterday, even Maggie knew enough to keep the filth onside . I think it's fair to say a move like this isn't exactly going to discourage 'Plebgates' and tabloid backhanders. Unless of course the idea is simply to run the service down completely so they'll appear justified in selling it off bit by bit, in which case this is a smart move.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5492
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/1/2013 9:45:34 AM   
galvatron

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

As I've heard said several times since yesterday, even Maggie knew enough to keep the filth onside . I think it's fair to say a move like this isn't exactly going to discourage 'Plebgates' and tabloid backhanders. Unless of course the idea is simply to run the service down completely so they'll appear justified in selling it off bit by bit, in which case this is a smart move.

I believe this is their intention. To run down public services until they're a shadow of what they were and privitise them for all their mates.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5493
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/1/2013 11:58:52 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

quote:

I believe this is their intention. To run down public services until they're a shadow of what they were and privitise them for all their mates.

Pass the crack pipe, I think you've had enough.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5494
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/1/2013 12:06:34 PM   
sanchia

Although they have already started privatising the probation service (which is a pretty important thing) so not such a stretch of the imagination when you have evidence to support the suppostiion.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5495
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/1/2013 12:45:43 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Although they have already started privatising the probation service (which is a pretty important thing) so not such a stretch of the imagination when you have evidence to support the suppostiion.

Just give me the nod when OCP take over the police force.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5496
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/1/2013 1:22:56 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

You've misspelt G4S

Post #: 5497
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/1/2013 2:49:00 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

You've misspelt G4S

I had to kill Bob Morton because he made a mistake...

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 16/1/2013 2:50:45 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5498
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/1/2013 6:30:54 PM   
sanchia

there are also ongoing consultations regarding privatisation of the Court Service and the Prison Service. Surrey police last year were looking at the possibility of a partial privatisation of police service although did not go ahead with it.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5499
RE: The British Politics Thread - 23/1/2013 7:14:17 PM   
boaby

So Trish buckles to the fringe. The great continental Hokey-Cokey continues apace.

Alex Salmond is so chuffed he's forgotten to find a microphone.

Scotland, so Nicola "Yes Minister" Sturgeon says, is a European country - and not just geographically. Polls kind of reflect that. Europe's not really an issue up here. UKIP are even more peripheral. The major parties - not including the Tories, obviously - are all pro-European containing no rabid pinstripes with a persecution complex.

What of stability? What of certainty? What of the known? Dear God, will someone think of the Markets? Those jittery wealth creators must be mair timrous than Rabbie's wee beastie.

Vote no in the independence referendum and, well, who knows? Good old comfy UK, where nothing changes... er, aye, well, hmmm.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5500
RE: The British Politics Thread - 23/1/2013 7:39:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

Vote Yes and no one knows either - the issue of Scotland and EU membership is not yet resolved.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5501
RE: The British Politics Thread - 23/1/2013 8:28:10 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Vote Yes and no one knows either - the issue of Scotland and EU membership is not yet resolved.

Quite. Though it wasn't long ago that unionists in the media and on boards such as these were arguing that the only way to ensure being in the EU was to vote No. The union was a comfy chair. Might be old, bit frayed round the edges maybe, not exactly an Eames lounger, but by Jove you know what it is and where it'll be. Now we don't.

Also, the uncertainty regarding Scotland and the EU is more regarding whether we'll be in with the deals we have now, or whether we'll be in soon with newly negotiated deals. Trish is saying to Angie and co. "gimme enough so that I can campaign for a yes, or else I'm phucked and the UK - or whatever we'll be called - is off.

Maybe Trish'll throw the General Election.

Incidentally, Madeleine Albright's old advisor and international lawyer was quoted as saying Scotland - and whatever the rest calls itself - would be seen as a successor state and wouldn't have to re-apply. I don't read the Mail, Telegraph, Times, Sun, Star, Express but I'd be surprised if that made their pages.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5502
RE: The British Politics Thread - 23/1/2013 9:14:43 PM   
Rgirvan44

Well I suppose we should listen to Albrights assistant more than to the President of the Commission....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5503
RE: The British Politics Thread - 23/1/2013 11:07:52 PM   
boaby

quote:

Well I suppose we should listen to Albrights assistant more than to the President of the Commission....

Hold on, has Barroso resolved what is unresolved? Or when you said it was not resolved did you mean something else?

Me? I always mean what I type. Always. Except when I don't.

Besides, support for independence is down to 23% apparently. And Salmond's found a microphone. Joy.

When will people learn that I know best - even better than Albright's professorial assistant - and just let me run things? Otherwise the world's doomed. Dooooooooomed.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5504
RE: The British Politics Thread - 23/1/2013 11:13:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

Hold on, has Barroso resolved what is unresolved? Or when you said it was not resolved did you mean something else?

Besides, support for independence is down to 23% apparently. And Salmond's found a microphone. Joy.

When will people learn that I know best - even better than Albright's professorial assistant - and just let me run things? Otherwise the world's doomed. Dooooooooomed.

He has said that Scotland would need to re-apply - and then SG said they would go off and tell him what is what. Which I am sure he would just love.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5505
RE: The British Politics Thread - 24/1/2013 1:00:16 AM   
boaby

No. Really? Barroso said that? So that's what that was in the papers and on the telly and on the radio. I thought he was talking about a different member of the UK. Wales or somewhere. I'm sure the Iberian's view has nothing to do with Spain desperately trying to hold onto Catalonia.

I've no idea who SG is, but good for them. Someone needs to tell those pesky Europeans what's what... what? What did I say? Me? Sounding like a Tory? How frightful.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5506
RE: The British Politics Thread - 24/1/2013 3:15:52 AM   
Deviation

quote:

No. Really? Barroso said that? So that's what that was in the papers and on the telly and on the radio. I thought he was talking about a different member of the UK. Wales or somewhere. I'm sure the Iberian's view has nothing to do with Spain desperately trying to hold onto Catalonia.

I'm confused, when did Portugal (Barroso is Portuguese) and Spain become so immensely close that they became one country?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5507
RE: The British Politics Thread - 24/1/2013 6:45:29 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Dear God, will someone think of the Markets? Those jittery wealth creators must be mair timrous than Rabbie's wee beastie.

The markets won't give a twopenny shit about something which may or may not happen 2-3 years into the future.
You'll not see any reaction to it whatsoever on the markets.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5508
RE: The British Politics Thread - 24/1/2013 6:51:53 AM   
sanchia

Not necessarily true Bob. Quite often potential changes can have an impact upon the market well in advance. It is not so much that but potential trading etc, which may be hit as 50% of trade is with the EU and if there is uncertainty regardign those trading conditions then possibly long term contracts may not be made etc. However, it is too early to tell.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5509
RE: The British Politics Thread - 24/1/2013 6:58:29 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Not necessarily true Bob. Quite often potential changes can have an impact upon the market well in advance. It is not so much that but potential trading etc, which may be hit as 50% of trade is with the EU and if there is uncertainty regardign those trading conditions then possibly long term contracts may not be made etc. However, it is too early to tell.

Entirely true Sanchia, when we get closer to the vote, and only if the result is less than certain, you will see a reaction but that is at least 3 years away.
Boabys post suggested that the jittery markets would react immediately in some horrible way, looking at the FTSE yesterday they haven't even blinked.

Good to see Ed make a right fudge of trying to score a political point on the issue. Saying Labour wouldn't give the pubic a vote may be the biggest win for the Tories in this.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 24/1/2013 7:05:42 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5510
RE: The British Politics Thread - 24/1/2013 11:24:06 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Apologies Sanchia, it appears it has reacted. I just noticed that the FTSE broke 6200 this morning.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 5511
RE: The British Politics Thread - 24/1/2013 9:28:52 PM   
London Calling

quote:

quote:

The European Commission confirmed to Nicola Sturgeon by letter that Barroso wasn't commenting on a specific situation, far less Scotland's situation. But we all knew that anyway, because they cannot and will not comment on a hypothetical situation and can only respond to a specific scenario presented to them by a member state, which was also confirmed in said letter to Nicola Sturgeon.

Linkage - http://www.scotreferendum.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CAB08_0122142752_001.pdf

< Message edited by London Calling -- 24/1/2013 9:30:02 PM >

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5512
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/1/2013 5:25:59 PM   
sanchia

quote:

Apologies Sanchia, it appears it has reacted. I just noticed that the FTSE broke 6200 this morning.

Wait until Monday then you will see a reaction (probably more to do with a potential triple dip recession though, which even Nick Clegg has stated may be partially their fault for cutting too much too rapidly).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21193525

< Message edited by sanchia -- 25/1/2013 5:29:41 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5513
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/1/2013 9:11:13 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

quote:

Wait until Monday then you will see a reaction (probably more to do with a potential triple dip recession though, which even Nick Clegg has stated may be partially their fault for cutting too much too rapidly).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21193525

There was a report back in the second half of 2012. Many retailers took on extra staffs they couldn't afford, believing the economy would grow and the shops would later be able to keep them. However what we just saw was contraction in December. The busiet period for retail sales and the economy strunk?
It was predictable we would go back into a triple dip recession and see contraction starting in January. Afterall January is the weakest retail period of the year. There nothing more to add other than clubbing George Osbourne to death. A banker was sent to jail for losing a bank billions however George Osbourne only saw 0.5% growth under his policies. Some of that success was down to the London Olympics so how bad would Britian be if Paris had won the rights for 2012 games and not us? He's doing something right to keep his job but most of the British public isn't seeing it.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5514
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/1/2013 9:15:56 PM   
sanchia

He knows where the bodies are buried seems to be the best guess of why Osbourne is keeping his job.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 5515
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/1/2013 9:58:23 PM   
Ghidorah

End of the day there are areas that need investments and would be benefical in the long term. George Osbourne isn't giving enough of them a go ahead. Some of these current construction projects happening around the country was given the green light by the former labour Government and no doubt George Osbourne wouldn't give them a go ahead. However seriously how hard is it to build another runway? If George Osbourne haven't got the balls to do something like that and also restrict budget airline flights within the UK then there is your problem.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5516
RE: The British Politics Thread - 26/1/2013 9:02:38 AM   
sanchia

It does appear from the report, as Ghidorah stated, that the only times of growth related to projects started by the prior government which had reached fruition in the last year. I am far from a fan of the prior government but I wonder if this bunch are going to admit that as they keep blaming the prior government for every single financial ill out there (which is getting a bit old now and is only partially true at this stage in their own government)?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 5517
RE: The British Politics Thread - 26/1/2013 1:09:01 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I'm confused, when did Portugal (Barroso is Portuguese) and Spain become so immensely close that they became one country?

I'm confused, did I say that?

Of course your question could more properly have concluded with the word "again".

Catalonia is the wealthiest region of Spain and is the region through which the vast majority of land traffic passes between Iberia and the rest of Europe. Spain's youth unemployment is over 50%. I'd imagine that Portugal might be an easy migratory destination if Spain should get even poorer. I think, for various half-formed reasons, that Portugal would rather there were no upheaval in their next door neighbours and would rather they didn't get any poorer. I think what are my half-formed thoughts more often occupy the minds of those more immediately involved.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5518
RE: The British Politics Thread - 26/1/2013 1:16:03 PM   
boaby

quote:

quote:

Dear God, will someone think of the Markets? Those jittery wealth creators must be mair timrous than Rabbie's wee beastie.

The markets won't give a twopenny shit about something which may or may not happen 2-3 years into the future.
You'll not see any reaction to it whatsoever on the markets.

Really? But the unionists in their bluster about having an immediate Scottish referendum were endlessly noting the squeaky bums of the markets as they considered the suspense of not knowing for 2-3 years whether Scotland would be independent or not. I merely assumed - as did some news networks, and those opposed to a EU plebiscite - that there'd be plenty tuneful wealthy sphincters at the notion of not knowing whether the UK would be in the EU in 4 years time.

Post #: 5519
RE: The British Politics Thread - 26/1/2013 1:54:16 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I'm confused, did I say that?

Of course your question could more properly have concluded with the word "again".

Catalonia is the wealthiest region of Spain and is the region through which the vast majority of land traffic passes between Iberia and the rest of Europe. Spain's youth unemployment is over 50%. I'd imagine that Portugal might be an easy migratory destination if Spain should get even poorer. I think, for various half-formed reasons, that Portugal would rather there were no upheaval in their next door neighbours and would rather they didn't get any poorer. I think what are my half-formed thoughts more often occupy the minds of those more immediately involved.

The secessionists might sensibly take on board that the impact of Scottish seccession from the Uk might also be viewed differently to the UK redrawing its relationship with the EU. Particularly as many do think that some of the EU structures do need a reassessment so, in the short term, the work pre that referendum might be positive?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5520
Page:   <<   < prev  182 183 [184] 185 186   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  182 183 [184] 185 186   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI