Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/10/2012 4:24:24 PM   
Sinatra

Strange, no mention of all the positive economic news we have had this week... as well as today's return to growth.

Very surprising

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 5161
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/10/2012 4:27:59 PM   
elab49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20083272

Possibly because of this. And the worry the growth is a one-off blip thanks to the Olympics.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5162
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/10/2012 4:28:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Strange, no mention of all the positive economic news we have had this week... as well as today's return to growth.

Very surprising

Probably all too busy reading the CBI report that the order book of manufacturing companies are the lowest for 10 months and thinking that the slight growth was partly down to the one-off event of the Olympics

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5163
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/10/2012 4:30:37 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20083272

Possibly because of this. And the worry the growth is a one-off blip thanks to the Olympics.

But still good news on the whole... it never gets mentioned here though, it's gone so far the other way that it's not worth reading... there's only so many Guardian links I can handle.

I also love the 2 child support benefit idea which is being rumoured this week.

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 25/10/2012 4:31:08 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5164
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/10/2012 4:35:15 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

Very surprising

Probably all too busy reading the CBI report that the order book of manufacturing companies are the lowest for 10 months and thinking that the slight growth was partly down to the one-off event of the Olympics

You see, you just did it again.

Most economists had predicted the Olympics would only push it to between 0.6 - 0.8.

Anyway, rest assured I shall pop up from time to time to remind you when there is good news in these terrible economic times.

I hope we are on the right track... anything to keep out the Dick-Ed's.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5165
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/10/2012 4:44:54 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I've nothing against good news, but we've all heard the "green shoots of recovery" news before and after a double dip recession I think you need more than one quarter of growth to start hanging out the banners. Plus the manufacturing news is pretty damaging imo.

In any case I shall hold my judgement until I get round to reading what the Economist has to say.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5166
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/10/2012 4:46:06 PM   
superdan

Strange, Sinatra only turns up when there is a crumb of good news and keeps schtum while the avalanche of fuck-ups is rolling downhill

On a serious note, it's good news but far too early to draw any conclusions given it's undoubtedly been helped by the hosting one of the worlds largest sporting events. Lets see where we are in a couple more quarters and if things are still on the up then maybe it's time to feel optimistic.

Incidentally, I'm not sure where Kimberley-Clarke announcing nearly 400 job cuts, Ford 1400 etc. factor into the 'positive economic news we've had this week'

< Message edited by superdan -- 25/10/2012 4:51:30 PM >

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5167
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/10/2012 4:58:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Incidentally, I'm not sure where Kimberley-Clarke announcing nearly 400 job cuts, Ford 1400 etc. factor into the 'positive economic news we've had this week'

Are you accusing someone in the banking sector about only caring about short term high growth figures and not noticing the underlying stability of the economy and its long term implications, cos I'm sure that way of thinking has never got us in any trouble before

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5168
RE: The British Politics Thread - 31/10/2012 11:53:33 AM   
Sinatra

I have been in here before but I always get ganged up on, it's very upsetting....

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5169
RE: The British Politics Thread - 31/10/2012 12:19:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

I have been in here before but I always get ganged up on, it's very upsetting....

I constantly read this thread with great interest but have never thought to post....I'll be slaughtered by all the raving Lefties before I had a chance......

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5170
RE: The British Politics Thread - 1/11/2012 3:17:24 AM   
boaby

So Newsnight was battering on about the "disconnect" between living costs and wage levels. A trend traced back to the late '80s. Britain in general 1.4% growth in wealth since 1990, most of us 0.3% growth in wealth.

~10% of private sector workers unionised.

Coincidence?

After invoking unions as part of the reason that wages used to keep up with living costs Paxman and his talking heads then apparently deemed the notion more workers being better organized unworthy of consideration in the quest to grow the economy.

Workers of the world, continue getting p!ssed on. You kinky buggers seem to like it.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 5171
RE: The British Politics Thread - 1/11/2012 10:00:39 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

I constantly read this thread with great interest but have never thought to post....I'll be slaughtered by all the raving Lefties before I had a chance......

Agreed, and I bet we aren't the only ones... to be honest I used to get more involved but I only pop in and out occasionally now and haven't got the time to get into drawn out debates (not that I am very good at them anyway). But i do keep an eye on this thread and it is largely just a bashing the government / moaning thread. I assume there are a lot of Labour supporters who post here because a lot of the sentiments/attitudes throughout this thread are not what I see in the real world - even with the Labour voters that I know. There are of course views I do agree with too, and it's much easier to comment on those.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 5172
RE: The British Politics Thread - 1/11/2012 10:47:06 AM   
superdan

So the reason for the lack of debate in this thread is because of all the 'raving Lefties', and not the apparent legions of people with right-wing views who are either too lazy/scared/divvy to post in here I don't doubt you're right that the tone in here differs from your real-life experience but you've only really got yourselves to blame for a lack of representation

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5173
RE: The British Politics Thread - 1/11/2012 10:50:49 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

So the reason for the lack of debate in this thread is because of all the 'raving Lefties', and not the apparent legions of people with right-wing views who are either too lazy/scared/divvy to post in here I don't doubt you're right that the tone in here differs from your real-life experience but you've only really got yourselves to blame for a lack of representation

Oh yeah I agree... and btw, it's not because I am lazy/scared of divvy (divvy made me chuckle), it's just a lack of time. I.e working hard to earn a living and pay huge amounts of tax...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5174
RE: The British Politics Thread - 1/11/2012 12:02:59 PM   
superdan

quote:

Oh yeah I agree... and btw, it's not because I am lazy/scared of divvy (divvy made me chuckle), it's just a lack of time. I.e working hard to earn a living and pay huge amounts of tax...

And here's me, still sat in my dressing gown celebrating sending my CV out to more companies who won't be interested by drinking tea and watching the Horror Channel

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5175
RE: The British Politics Thread - 1/11/2012 1:14:12 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

I find anyone who utilises looney/wooly minded/raving etc. Liberals bring into effect a reverse Godwin Law and the argument is lost before it has begun.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 5176
RE: The British Politics Thread - 1/11/2012 8:09:50 PM   
Dr Lenera

I only meant it tongue-in-cheek, hence the smiley!!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5177
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/11/2012 10:44:22 AM   
matty_b

I know that our politics is pretty boring at the minute compared to the US, but still a massive LOL at this -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20217901

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 5178
RE: The British Politics Thread - 7/11/2012 11:00:58 AM   
sanchia

Today and yesterday would be a good time to bury things so I imagine some controversial stuff was probably released somewhere along the line.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5179
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/11/2012 4:47:57 PM   
Titanm21

The Silver Fox scoring points and it kind back firing

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a436705/phillip-schofield-confronts-david-cameron-on-alleged-paedophiles.html

I can kinda see what Schofield was attemting here. But those names may be innocent, who's to say.

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5180
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/11/2012 5:36:11 PM   
sanchia

Very true, they are accused not proven and sadly a lot of people don't need proof before doing something stupid and violent.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 5181
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/11/2012 11:13:19 PM   
great_badir

A total prickish thing for Schofield/ITV to do but, and it pains me, REALLY pains me to write this, Cameron actually handled it quite well and came off looking like the decent element in all of that.

Laminate it, people - it ain't never gonna happen again.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5182
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/11/2012 11:16:57 PM   
elab49

I think so too. For all the flak he's taking with accusations of conflating two different things I think, in context, that wasn't the case - he knew the names being bandied about and he isn't the only one who thinks it looks like some of these idiots on twitter are basically trying to out people they think are gay in the context of accusing them of being paedophiles. As if the two are the same. They're the problem, not Cameron telling them they're idiots. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 5183
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/11/2012 12:29:01 AM   
boaby

Yep, have to join the ranks of the reluctant in offering praise where it's due. Just seen Schofield with his death list on This Week and Trish did well. I'd have telt the token male to "wisen up, min." Tabloid drivel from the sidekick to hand-puppets.

He has just been flogging weapons to the Saudis (in the week of the US election) and ducked out of PMQs so maybe he realized he'd surpassed his weekly "evil, sneaky git" target by such a degree that he could ease off a tad.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5184
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/11/2012 3:34:52 PM   
Sinatra

I like Cameron...!

I also leave my kids down the pub after having a few beers....

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5185
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/11/2012 3:41:24 PM   
sanchia

But getting them to wash up to pay the bar bill is another matter entirely.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5186
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/11/2012 4:25:47 PM   
Cruisecontroller

I think Scholfield mean`t well to confront Cameron on the accusations flying around Twitter about potential pedos in his party but he was hardly going to respond in much detail and those accused are entitled to a right of reply before having their names being given to their boss live on national tv. The fact they could briefly be accidentally seen makes it a million times worse. I think Scholfield could end up in court over that he`s in big trouble. Did Saville visit that North Wales childrens home with all the alleged abuse too?

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5187
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/11/2012 8:44:00 PM   
horribleives

It was a ridiculous piece of showboating by Schofield and was also totally pointless - I'm fairly certain Cameron already knows the names of the suspects.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 5188
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/11/2012 8:50:52 PM   
matty_b

Showboating is the best way of describing it, I think.

It takes a lot to make yourself the biggest twat in the room when Dave is sitting opposite you (unless you're Gideon, of course), but Pip managed it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 5189
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/11/2012 10:05:25 PM   
sanchia

In many respects it reminds me of that time Matthew Wright named John Leslie on a rape accusation live on air.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5190
Page:   <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI