Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  170 171 [172] 173 174   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 11/10/2012 1:49:52 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil884

It's ridiculous. We have no industry other than the service sector, which requires us to buy crap we donít need. Coalition policies pull ever more money out of circulation by terrifying people from spending or by preventing them from so doing. As such, the flawed ill-conceived system collapses further. The faintest glimmer of hope that we may have emerged from double-dip recession is seized upon as evidence they are steering us towards recovery notwithstanding the fact that although it was Labourís failure to regulate and overspending that fucked us in 2008, it was the coalition who flipped us over and did us in the ass too by way of their dreadful recovery plan.

It was the global financial crisis that fucked us over, not overspending. And the Tories wanted even less regulation than Labour did, so God know's what the scenario would have been if they had been in charge. It's also worth bearing in mind that policies put in place by Brown (opposed by the Tories) pulled the country out of recession and were stimulating growth, a process the Coalition has reversed. The deficit, borrowing and the debt are all on the rise, which is exactly what Labour said would happen. Gideon can keep slashing welfare all he wants, it isn't addressing the root of the problem and he knows it

Still, we're halfway through. Only 2 and a half more years of these fucknuckles to tolerate

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 5131
RE: The British Politics Thread - 11/10/2012 1:58:50 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
quote:

It's ridiculous. We have no industry other than the service sector, which requires us to buy crap we donít need. Coalition policies pull ever more money out of circulation by terrifying people from spending or by preventing them from so doing. As such, the flawed ill-conceived system collapses further. The faintest glimmer of hope that we may have emerged from double-dip recession is seized upon as evidence they are steering us towards recovery notwithstanding the fact that although it was Labourís failure to regulate and overspending that fucked us in 2008, it was the coalition who flipped us over and did us in the ass too by way of their dreadful recovery plan.

It was the global financial crisis that fucked us over, not overspending. And the Tories wanted even less regulation than Labour did, so God know's what the scenario would have been if they had been in charge. It's also worth bearing in mind that policies put in place by Brown (opposed by the Tories) pulled the country out of recession and were stimulating growth, a process the Coalition has reversed. The deficit, borrowing and the debt are all on the rise, which is exactly what Labour said would happen. Gideon can keep slashing welfare all he wants, it isn't addressing the root of the problem and he knows it

Still, we're halfway through. Only 2 and a half more years of these fucknuckles to tolerate

To be fair, much as I do defend elements of the previous Labour government (everyone seems to have forgotten Maggie selling everything off in the 80s, John Major's tory government single handedly causing the last serious recession in the 90s [although they did get us out of it as well], and the 10-or so relatively good years we had under Labour which included large investment in both public and private sectors), Gordon Brown selling off all our of gold probably didn't help the country's financial standing. (I'm ignoring our involvement in the war for this reply - wrong and unjustifiable however you look at it, but we're concentrating purely on financial matters now).

Unfortunately, people are so fed up with and have so little faith in all of the parties now, I can easily see the next election resulting in public apathy and another coalition.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5132
RE: The British Politics Thread - 11/10/2012 2:00:45 PM   
Phil884

quote:

quote:

I won't pretend to know enough about it to take a particularly firm position on the point. However, I had understood that both in the UK and the US, the accelerating roll back of regulation that had been enacted in the thirties after the depression, both exacebated and exposed us to greater damage by the financial crisis than might have been the case.

I agree entirely with the rest of your points though and, indeed, yet another policy objective of these transparently self-interested pricks is to roll back regulation further to "stimulate the economy". Errr, did you not catch what happened with that a few years ago? I don't believe it's even a failure to learn from past (and only recent) mistakes; it's simply wilfully disregarding the consequences because it has not damged their vested interests, only us "plebs" pay the price - as my delightful MP would refers to us.

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5133
RE: The British Politics Thread - 11/10/2012 2:42:50 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

To be fair, much as I do defend elements of the previous Labour government (everyone seems to have forgotten Maggie selling everything off in the 80s, John Major's tory government single handedly causing the last serious recession in the 90s [although they did get us out of it as well], and the 10-or so relatively good years we had under Labour which included large investment in both public and private sectors), Gordon Brown selling off all our of gold probably didn't help the country's financial standing. (I'm ignoring our involvement in the war for this reply - wrong and unjustifiable however you look at it, but we're concentrating purely on financial matters now).

Unfortunately, people are so fed up with and have so little faith in all of the parties now, I can easily see the next election resulting in public apathy and another coalition.

I'm not claiming Labour were perfect, hindsight shows us their light touch regulation had disastrous effects (regardless of the Tory position, it was something that should have been sorted). The Iraq war I completely agree with you about too. Selling the gold though is something he gets lambasted for, yet from an economics point of view there are those who think it wasn't an unreasonable thing to do: (from the FT) http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5788dbac-7680-11e0-b05b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz28zuQmPdu

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 5134
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/10/2012 8:21:45 PM   
Brooksy84

http://news.sky.com/story/998312/gary-mckinnon-may-blocks-extradition-to-us

Interesting turn of events this. I personally don't buy the "I was just looking for evidence of UFO's" line of defence one tiny bit, but beyond that surely this is going to raise serious issues in the future with other extraditions. Looking further beyond, how many defense lawyers will be looking to apply this to any number of criminal charges and argue that their client will almost certainly commit suicide if they are sent to jail. I'm a layman as far as these things work but I think it could be dangerous.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5135
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/10/2012 9:23:38 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

I'm not claiming Labour were perfect, hindsight shows us their light touch regulation had disastrous effects (regardless of the Tory position, it was something that should have been sorted). The Iraq war I completely agree with you about too. Selling the gold though is something he gets lambasted for, yet from an economics point of view there are those who think it wasn't an unreasonable thing to do: (from the FT) http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5788dbac-7680-11e0-b05b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz28zuQmPdu

The expansion of PFI, The Iraq War and the erosion of civil liberties were three massive strikes against Labour - they really had turned into a massive bunch of arseholes.They did chuck a lot of cash at the NHS though which is more than can be said for the Cuntservatives of today.

That said it shows how disliked the Tories are that they couldn't even muster up a majority despite all of this + the backing of the majority of the press.

21st century Britain under a Tory government, economy going backwards, disabled people committing suicide and food banks. Aren't we meant to be a rich country or have we become like America - the riches have been hoovered up by the elite thanks to the incompetence and corruption of successive governments since 1979.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5136
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/10/2012 9:54:41 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

Interesting turn of events this. I personally don't buy the "I was just looking for evidence of UFO's" line of defence one tiny bit, but beyond that surely this is going to raise serious issues in the future with other extraditions. Looking further beyond, how many defense lawyers will be looking to apply this to any number of criminal charges and argue that their client will almost certainly commit suicide if they are sent to jail. I'm a layman as far as these things work but I think it could be dangerous.

While I agree, a precedent has been set, the extradition was for him to face trial, not jail. He could (and should if guilty) still face jail time here.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 5137
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/10/2012 10:54:19 PM   
boaby

So, Starbucks haven't paid any tax for 3 years. And close to sod all for 14 years.

Of course it's public spending that's the problem.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 5138
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/10/2012 11:15:25 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

Anyone who take the UFO matter seriously knows Gary Mckinnon was looking for UFOs. The subject is filled with misinformed, out of touch, bullshitters and crazy people. It give true UFO researchers a bad name. Anyway BBC3 last night aired a program about a group of crazy people interested in UFOs. One even wear tinfoil hats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01ndm9r/Conspiracy_Road_Trip_UFOs/

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 5139
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/10/2012 11:30:12 PM   
elab49

I'd have thought the comment he made about US foreign policy and disrupting US systems, left on the systems he hacked, which I saw for the first time tonight, does somewhat undermine the UFO claims.

And that's in his own words which seems rather important.

Unless he was worried about their foreign policy wrt Martians of course.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 16/10/2012 11:31:05 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 5140
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/10/2012 11:49:40 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'd have thought the comment he made about US foreign policy and disrupting US systems, left on the systems he hacked, which I saw for the first time tonight, does somewhat undermine the UFO claims.

And that's in his own words which seems rather important.

Unless he was worried about their foreign policy wrt Martians of course.

He hacked the system because he thinks the US government are holding crashed UFOs. He also think they successfully reverse engineered the UFO tech and holding back clean stable energy sources.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5141
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/10/2012 11:58:34 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure you read the post? They've released a statement that McKinnon planted in the systems he hacked - it referred to US foreign policy. Bog all about UFOs.

quote:

US foreign policy is akin to Government-sponsored terrorism these days Ö It was not a mistake that there was a huge security stand down on September 11 last year Ö I am SOLO. I will continue to disrupt at the highest levels Ö

Even his defence referred to his political beliefs as being part of the case.

It might seem all neatly tied up by adding claims about UFO searches but that doesn't mean that's anything other than a story to try and help prevent extradition. Without a trial that's still no more than a defence claim.

I should add that I too have reservations about this extradition treaty and think US over-reactions on security issues might see unreasonable treatment meted out so I'm not that fussed by the decision. I just don't believe the UFO story.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 5142
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/10/2012 1:28:17 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

So, Starbucks haven't paid any tax for 3 years. And close to sod all for 14 years.

Google, Amazon all register their sales in other countries as well like Ireland or Luxembourg - christ the amount of revenue we could generate if we actually cracked down on tax avoidance would solve the majority of our problems within the space of a few years.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5143
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/10/2012 1:35:09 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker
quote:

Google, Amazon all register their sales in other countries as well like Ireland or Luxembourg - christ the amount of revenue we could generate if we actually cracked down on tax avoidance would solve the majority of our problems within the space of a few years.

I know VERY little about tax, so this is a genuine question and not a rhetorical flippant comment - is the whole point of the loophole to encourage business in the UK? In other words, what money the government does get from these companies trading is better than the potential of no money at all if tax levels were too offputting?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 5144
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/10/2012 1:38:10 PM   
elab49

I used to have a public sector client back before resource accounting when many smaller bodies (and small meant budgets of around £20-£50M so not small in the real world) could still have cash accounts (as the main department accounts were). I discovered one wheeze they came up with to use budgets was the charging they implemented on inter-office transfers. It was absurd and dumb and they got slapped hard for it.

Odd that the HMRC turn a blind eye when multi-million earning private sector companies use the same method to avoid tax, then.

quote:

Post #: 5145
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/10/2012 3:43:32 PM   
matty_b

I have very little time for the monarchy but this is LOL-worthy -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/who-are-you-queen-not-amused-by-health-secretary-jeremy-hunts-james-bond-joke-and-a-typically-blunt-prince-philip-doesnt-even-know-who-he-is-8215113.html?fb_action_ids=10151064146232273%2C10151064145837273%2C10151064145757273%2C10151111633533149%2C10151111630748149&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_ref=type%3Aread%2Cuser%3ASiixBqpVTGSbyFfWFEVv_AqA-8w&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%2210151064146232273%22%3A347491708679828%2C%2210151064145837273%22%3A365651990188040%2C%2210151064145757273%22%3A328649603899668%2C%2210151111633533149%22%3A378749855534642%2C%2210151111630748149%22%3A404683819598548}&action_type_map={%2210151064146232273%22%3A%22news.reads%22%2C%2210151064145837273%22%3A%22news.reads%22%2C%2210151064145757273%22%3A%22news.reads%22%2C%2210151111633533149%22%3A%22news.reads%22%2C%2210151111630748149%22%3A%22news.reads%22}&action_ref_map={%2210151111633533149%22%3A%22type%3Aread%2Cuser%3ASiixBqpVTGSbyFfWFEVv_AqA-8w%22%2C%2210151111630748149%22%3A%22type%3Aread%2Cuser%3ASiixBqpVTGSbyFfWFEVv_AqA-8w%22}#access_token=AAADWQ6323IoBAD2FHhxQvUiIMvOxJzUd1RlCoSPPZAnUANeXUNy3RgMImPPeRdeKiCKEXHiJepe7XCZCLEE3nOEiVHN8OGeOGiZAQnjXwZDZD&expires_in=5118

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5146
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/10/2012 6:30:46 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know VERY little about tax, so this is a genuine question and not a rhetorical flippant comment - is the whole point of the loophole to encourage business in the UK? In other words, what money the government does get from these companies trading is better than the potential of no money at all if tax levels were too offputting?

What you have to ask yourself is if any of these companies would stop trading in the UK if they had to pay corporation tax. Of course they wouldn't - they'd just kick up a stink and be forced to swallow it because they'd still be making profits - if they shipped out they'd make nothing.

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 17/10/2012 6:31:34 PM >

Post #: 5147
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/10/2012 11:25:34 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

Leaves you impotent with irritation.

So you've met Jonson then?

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 5148
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/10/2012 11:37:15 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's not so much a loophole as under the table accounting - the appropriate tax is charged on the profits as presented. They're simply reducing the profits by 'internal' payments to non tax charging countries - many of them use dodgy 'management charges' to do this. And it's pretty hard to get to grips with because it would mean external adjudication on the value of internal charging which is why they get away with it.

Yes, they contribute a lot in other charges (staff etc) - well, some do. Companies like Amazon aren't staff based as much so the disjoint is more glaring when they don't pay corporation tax. I don't think it's offered as a specific incentive because it's not something overt.

quote:

Post #: 5149
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/10/2012 1:17:02 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's not so much a loophole as under the table accounting - the appropriate tax is charged on the profits as presented. They're simply reducing the profits by 'internal' payments to non tax charging countries - many of them use dodgy 'management charges' to do this. And it's pretty hard to get to grips with because it would mean external adjudication on the value of internal charging which is why they get away with it.

Yes, they contribute a lot in other charges (staff etc) - well, some do. Companies like Amazon aren't staff based as much so the disjoint is more glaring when they don't pay corporation tax. I don't think it's offered as a specific incentive because it's not something overt.

While it doesn't account for Amazon and the like. I do think there is compliance in the UK and other countries that the government is happy to take tax from the workers pay rather than company profits. So employers are encouraged. Of course the more tax you pay, the higher wage you need to maintain a standard if living and therefore the less competitive the labour force. It also hugely tilts the competitive playing field to big boys.

Funny that a comedian takes an offshore account and the PM basically says he should burn in hell for it. Big business do it and he's scared to say a word.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5150
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/10/2012 1:55:50 PM   
elab49

Clearly. They also happily slam the public sector for the deficit and the people not their mates for not working while we give billions of public money to stuff like this

quote:

Lib Dem Simon Hughes did just that the other day. He spoke of firms that are owned by firms, which are owned by trusts, the owners of which we know not, who nevertheless receive millions from the public purse. "The M6 toll road is owned by Midland Expressway Ltd [MEL]," he told the Commons, "which is owned in turn by the Macquarie Motorways Group Ltd, which is in turn owned by Macquarie Atlas Roads International Ltd of Bermuda. It is controlled by Macquarie Infrastructure Group, but the identity of its investors and therefore of the owners of MEL remains unknown and undisclosed. In 2006, however, they paid themselves a £392m exceptional dividend, and over six years made a return on their investment of more than 150% a year." Nice work. "This sort of profit at the public's expense by we know not whom is not an acceptable arrangement," said Hughes. You might agree. There's more. "Arqiva, as a private sector monopoly, is regulated by Ofcom. It runs all the transmission services for all UK terrestrial television broadcasters and for BBC radio and most commercial radio services, owns two of the four digital multiplexes, supplies the government with mobile and wireless communications and supplies three-quarters of all police forces. It receives annual revenues of about £1bn and makes annual losses of about £250m. The ultimate owners of the company appear to be based in Bermuda, although we do not know who they are, and Arqiva has paid no corporation tax for four years

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5151
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/10/2012 2:00:26 PM   
horribleives

Just saw Nick Clegg on North East News banging on about jobs or something. Has anyone else noticed that he sounds exactly like Cameron these days? Not just the similarly empty drivel of the content, but his tone, pronunciation mannerisms and everything.
What a copy-cunt.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5152
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/10/2012 6:44:20 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19922026

He's been a dead man walking for a while now, surprised he lasted this long really.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 5153
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/10/2012 6:47:51 PM   
matty_b

Marvellous news, the smug little cunt that he is.

And in other news - oh Gideon, Gideon, Gideon. You really do make it easy for us to loathe you, don't you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20008342

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5154
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/10/2012 7:04:14 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsFinkelstein

He's been a dead man walking for a while now, surprised he lasted this long really.

It's also damaging for David Cameron. He afterall believed Mitchel's version of events and didn't act.

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5155
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/10/2012 7:09:03 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

"Mr Osborne is understood not to have had any direct communication with Virgin Trains staff" - how can you be on a train and not have any direct contact with the staff?

I have visions of him sitting there, with his 'aides' being used as a human wall around him, and all those plebs being told not to look directly at him or speak to him. Twunt.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5156
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/10/2012 12:53:23 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsFinkelstein

It's also damaging for David Cameron. He afterall believed Mitchel's version of events and didn't act.

You get sacked for being a rude bastard but if you're Jeremy Hunt and you lie to Parliament you're allowed to keep your job. P.s. why isn't Cameron revealing his email communications with Rebecca Brooks?

If we factor in Osbourne's First Class shenanigans I feel compelled once again to utter the words....

TORY SCUM

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 5157
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/10/2012 4:47:59 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Check this out completely unbelievable - US right wing lobbyists are funding candidates going up for the new police elections :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9623068/The-secret-US-lobbyists-behind-Police-and-Crime-Commissioner-election.html

Post #: 5158
RE: The British Politics Thread - 22/10/2012 5:00:01 AM   
boaby

Who had a giggle at Gideon then?

Previous swickery on the trains uncovered. In May. The uttering of the one sentence offering undeniable proof that the speaker is happily encamped up his own rectum: "Do you know who I am?" Raised a chuckle during a long day at work. Hypocritical sod. Decreeing that government departments must not pay for 1st class tickets clearly meant trying to swick on rather than actually sitting in section paid for.

Even the Mail having a pop "Who do they think they are?" blared the front page in a manner that suggested the muppets were actually surprised by the attitudes of the Tory heid-yins.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 5159
RE: The British Politics Thread - 22/10/2012 2:05:14 PM   
sharkboy

I liked the fact that when naming the scandal, rather than go down the usual "-gate" route (maybe Virgingate was a bit too insensitive in light of the Sir Jim allegations?), they've reverted to good old-fashioned punnage with "The Great Train Snobbery"

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5160
Page:   <<   < prev  170 171 [172] 173 174   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  170 171 [172] 173 174   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI