Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  169 170 [171] 172 173   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/9/2012 9:27:46 AM   
elab49

Saw a very amusing comment elsewhere - if instead of Minister for you say Minister against you pretty much get this reshuffle. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5101
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/9/2012 2:21:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

We now have a supposed 'Health Secretary' who is anti-abortion, believes in homeopathy and has gone on record as saying the NHS is an evil. Some people will be happy, but most of us are fucked

Ah don't worry it about these fuckers are gonna be toast come the next election. We only have to put up with their shit a while longer and then the rebuilding process can begin.

On another note Andreas Whittam Smith in the Independent is calling from people from all walks of life to enter politics as he says the rise of the career politician over the last few decades has left us with a succession of fundamentally incompetent governments.

You have to say he has a point with some of the disasterous policies inflicted on the UK over the years from the privatisations, the wars, PFIs, the dumbing down of education all the way down to the economic policies of the current Tory government.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/andreas-whittam-smith-our-democracy-is-desperately-sick-this-is-your-chance-to-help-save-it-8102862.html

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 5/9/2012 2:37:59 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5102
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/9/2012 4:00:25 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

We now have a supposed 'Health Secretary' who is anti-abortion, believes in homeopathy and has gone on record as saying the NHS is an evil. Some people will be happy, but most of us are fucked

Ah don't worry it about these fuckers are gonna be toast come the next election. We only have to put up with their shit a while longer and then the rebuilding process can begin.

On another note Andreas Whittam Smith in the Independent is calling from people from all walks of life to enter politics as he says the rise of the career politician over the last few decades has left us with a succession of fundamentally incompetent governments.

You have to say he has a point with some of the disasterous policies inflicted on the UK over the years from the privatisations, the wars, PFIs, the dumbing down of education all the way down to the economic policies of the current Tory government.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/andreas-whittam-smith-our-democracy-is-desperately-sick-this-is-your-chance-to-help-save-it-8102862.html

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but I think you do need to be reasonably well-educated to be an MP (if you want to do the job properly that is). Otherwise we could end up having a UK version of Sarah Palin.

On a similar-ish note, I really like that Boris Johnson is sticking to his guns on this Heathrow issue. I'm actually in favour of a third runway, but it is refreshing to see a politician stand up for what they believe in.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 5103
RE: The British Politics Thread - 5/9/2012 4:04:40 PM   
elab49

It's, however, not that noteworthy that a politician makes sure he keeps in the headlines while beating down his main rival, irrespective of subject. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 5104
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/9/2012 3:43:42 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but I think you do need to be reasonably well-educated to be an MP (if you want to do the job properly that is). Otherwise we could end up having a UK version of Sarah Palin.

I think the point Whittam-Smith is making is the actual real world working life experience of MPs in this day and age as opposed to their education. He cites Cameron as a prime example, he area of expertise is PR - not exactly a 'profession' you'd look for in your ideal PM.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 5105
RE: The British Politics Thread - 11/9/2012 7:15:16 PM   
boaby

Clegg censors a speech he was due to give in which he was to call those opposed to gay marriage "bigots".

Not the done thing apparently.

Sh!tstorm brewing. Might be a giggle. Maybe even more amusing than Ed Balls trying to walk the line between supporting and criticising the TUC. "Yes you're being phucked but please, please, please, please, please for the love of Scargill don't strike".

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 5106
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/9/2012 1:09:30 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Health firms told to get set for £20bn NHS bonanza :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/sep/16/health-firms-nhs

FUCKING DIRTY TORY SCUM

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5107
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/9/2012 7:06:40 PM   
boaby

Gove spouting his "EBacc" notion in the HoC this afternoon. Strutting about like a peacock he was. I really hope he gets himself fired. I can't stand the preening git.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 5108
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/9/2012 7:14:30 PM   
sanchia

So essentially we are going to go backwards rather than forwards seems to be the consensus.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5109
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/9/2012 7:46:41 PM   
DancingClown

The man really is a worm. And Clegg has fallen even lower in my estimations, though I didn't realise that was actually possible.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5110
RE: The British Politics Thread - 19/9/2012 10:05:37 PM   
Hood_Man

Sooo Clegg says sorry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19646731

For the tuitions fees election pledge.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5111
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/9/2012 2:31:49 AM   
boaby

Aye, sorry for promising. Not sorry for raising fees.

Weasel.

Pathetic.

He looks pleasingly bedraggled and weighed down by his striven for position of Tory beeeeatch. Small mercies.

edit: handy that Parliament should skulk away to their staged back-slapping festivities in such a manner as to deprive us of the light relief of PMQs. Tuning in to that smug toad Neil only to be confronted by Digby bleeding Jones. Go and get some other capitalist pig-dog to witter about militant teachers and hard-pressed tax avoiders. At least change the performance if not the song.

< Message edited by boaby -- 20/9/2012 2:36:26 AM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5112
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/9/2012 4:59:21 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Clegg has been bummed into oblivion by the Tories - he's got nothing he wanted out of this coalition and been forced to back the Tories crap economic policies and NHS restructuring. What a truly useless bastard he is - and to think I voted for the fucker

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5113
RE: The British Politics Thread - 24/9/2012 4:32:59 PM   
boaby

Beaker blending into the Picasso exercise on the big screen behind him at the Liberal Beeeatches conference.

Pffffft.

They're screwed.

Post #: 5114
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/9/2012 12:26:34 PM   
matty_b

So, hey, David Cameron was on Letterman last night!

Good thing he doesn't have anything to do back here, isn't it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5115
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/9/2012 3:32:50 PM   
boaby

To be fair to Trish there's a fairly big shindig in NY at the mo.

And seeing as how Obama is blowing everyone off Trish has no politicians willing to chat to him. Might as well kill some time with Dave you can support.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5116
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/10/2012 11:35:39 AM   
MrsFinkelstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19854465

Hey, you know how we laugh at those Right Wing Christian fundamentalists in the US who want the Government to back the hell out of their lives, but want the Govt to tell people who they can have sex with, or marry, or have children???????

We're not laughing now.........

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5117
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/10/2012 11:48:31 PM   
Hood_Man

ALERT! ALERT!

David Cameron has a Twitter account! I repeat, David Cameron has a Twitter account!

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron

Some of these are genuinely quite funny

@David_Cameron #askdave Do you think George will be able to get rid of all those left handed screw drivers he bought on ebay?

@David_Cameron what wine should I open tonight? Chateau Lafite 1795 or 1818? I just can't choose. #askdave

@David_Cameron you're obviously a man of the people dave. Tell me, how much is a pint of milk? #askdave

#askdave @David_Cameron. Does Nick snore?

And some are a bit more serious...

#askdave @david_cameron when you said the Tories would promote growth in UK, you did mean in unemployment, homelessness & the deficit right?

#askdave How, just how, do you sleep at night knowing people have DIED because of cuts to disability benefits? You despicable monster!

@David_Cameron hi Dave, can you spare a tweet 4 the 1000 people judged fit for work by Atos who've since died or committed suicide? #askdave

@David_Cameron Can I drop my kid to you Monday morn? You took away his nursery funding. All in this together, cheers! @johnprescott #askdave

@david cameron where are the jobs for the people who you declare as "fit for work"? #askdave

Have fun chaps and chapettes...*

*I'm taking no responsibility if people get in trouble for trolling etc, I'm just the very amused messenger.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 6/10/2012 11:50:05 PM >

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5118
RE: The British Politics Thread - 8/10/2012 6:11:27 PM   
sanchia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19871245

So sell your rights for some intangible possibility of a bit of cash down the line, of course it doesn't do you any good when they fire you for no reason and you lose those shares as a result.

The employment law expert on the radio was under the impression it is a covert attempt to get the right to fire recommendations through.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5119
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/10/2012 1:32:02 AM   
boaby

Gideon actually quoted Marx in his quest too have the little people stay in line:

"Workers of the world unite..." and be good little boys and girls for the wealth creators.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5120
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/10/2012 2:02:38 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Apparently we're not far off Nazi Germany - and guess what? It's because of gay marriage!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/08/gay-marriage-lord-carey-nazi-germany_n_1948250.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

This voracious bigotry makes me sick to the stomach.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5121
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/10/2012 7:15:33 AM   
sanchia

quote:

]Rallying the crowd with a speech that ended with her arms raised in the style of an American pastor, Widdecome said the restrictions on peoples freedoms that would come from gay marriage were "the hallmark of a totalitarian states down the ages"

The sheer hypocrisy in that statement alone suggests la la land is calling her name.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 9/10/2012 7:17:58 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 5122
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/10/2012 7:20:45 AM   
DancingClown

Such a cluster of cunts. I couldn't bear to even glimpse at Gideon's speech yesterday, he makes me feel physically ill.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5123
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/10/2012 2:30:35 PM   
Ghidorah

Tories are suggestioning we can use greater force to combat burgulars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19879314

I'm pretty sure this just an attempt to grab the headlines. We already got laws in place and we can kill the intruder in self defence. Only thing I don't agree on but I understand why. For example you keep a baseball bat in your bedroom. You are woken up by some disturbance downstairs. You aren't allowed to use that baseball bat because you intend to use it as a weapon. Instead you have to go to another room and use something out of there as a weapon.

What the Tories are suggesting is the use of greater voilence on the intruder. So I can use multiple fatal strikes on the intruder but I'm not allowed to take it to the extremes like in Cannibal Holocaust. How about the Torie party give landowners greater powers against trespassing?

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5124
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/10/2012 2:51:27 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19871245

So sell your rights for some intangible possibility of a bit of cash down the line, of course it doesn't do you any good when they fire you for no reason and you lose those shares as a result.

The employment law expert on the radio was under the impression it is a covert attempt to get the right to fire recommendations through.

Covert? It's a transparent attempt to destroy workers rights. You would have to out of your mind to agree to waiver those rights, though just watch this 'voluntary' arrangement become more-or-less enforced when you lose your job-seeker benefit after refusing to work for a company that demands you agree to sign them over

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5125
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/10/2012 5:20:51 PM   
sanchia

Apparently it is presently illegal as people at this time cannot waive their rights under the law. It will take a change to the law to actually enable them to do it. It would be ridiculous to voluntarily take them up as most shares rights are waived to a significant degree upon leaving a company so if pushed you gain nothing anyway. No one with any knowledge if of the law is impressed with this.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5126
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/10/2012 6:14:39 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

No fault dismissal was another Tory plan, luckily Vince Cable was around to shoot that down. The Tories think eroding workers rights will help the economy, what the fuck are these dumb-arses on - when we were weren't in recession these rights didn't seem to hamper the economy.

They simply don't know what they are doing, they are pandering to big business the wankers

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5127
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/10/2012 6:19:33 PM   
sanchia

I think the problem is a lot of them are or are related to big business wankers.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5128
RE: The British Politics Thread - 10/10/2012 9:00:37 AM   
MrsFinkelstein

Just saw Hague on BBC breakfast - there are too many Public Sector jobs, they need more 'wealth creating jobs' in business.

Apparently I don't create wealth 'cause I don't buy food, clothes, petrol, things for my home or garden or holidays, I don't give my business to local shops in anyway at all..........

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5129
RE: The British Politics Thread - 11/10/2012 1:26:27 PM   
Phil884

I think it was the Tory conference that was tipping point and so a long, tedious rant has arrived. Disclaimer – the following gibberish probably contains gross generalisations and no doubt I oversimplify but I’m too depressed at the current state of the country to care about anything other than a cathartic vent...

It's ridiculous. We have no industry other than the service sector, which requires us to buy crap we don’t need. Coalition policies pull ever more money out of circulation by terrifying people from spending or by preventing them from so doing. As such, the flawed ill-conceived system collapses further. The faintest glimmer of hope that we may have emerged from double-dip recession is seized upon as evidence they are steering us towards recovery notwithstanding the fact that although it was Labour’s failure to regulate and overspending that fucked us in 2008, it was the coalition who flipped us over and did us in the ass too by way of their dreadful recovery plan.

But, they preach, help the wealth creating entrepreneurs for they shall heal the economy “further”. Really? Because it doesn’t look like wealth actually trickles down from these bastards as so many of them avoid paying tax or hide their moolah off shore. Despite this, the same baseless crap that tax should be lowered in order to assist these “wealth creators” create more jobs is continually blasted at ears long since rendered deaf to singularly anything that might really matter due to years of X-Factor dross and other tripe of the lowest common denominator.

Fringe groups at Tory conference go further and complain that they do not see what the problem is with tax avoidance in the first place. Meanwhile the middle class lag as a result of cuts, which are allegedly required because overpaid gamblers (or investment bankers) were overindulged in the sweet shop, yet are required to do nothing to compensate.

Further, due to those cuts and a drive to smear the public sector as needless bloated leeches so the state can be rolled back, those persons with genuine disabilities, illness and needs are left to rot as the government tars them all with the same brush: that they are lazy chavs content to mooch of you and me rather than work. Course they are! Every single last one of them! All of them are lying about their condition! No, they all want to subsist beneath the poverty line on benefits, which a lot do. Except the Daily Mail says that none of them are poor; they are all on £60K a year and everyone nods along and dismisses the facts that, sure, some people abuse the system and some cutbacks maybe required but, hey, do we really want to be a country that casts those to the gutter who are genuinely in need of our help by going so dramatically overboard? Is there not a better way than smearing people all as dregs and then kicking them when they are down? Really not if we didn't pander to a simple mentality ?

The liberals do virtually nothing, content to occasionally modify a draft bill in some inconsequential manner before once again retiring to crack one off over the fact they finally have poweerrrrrr! Meanwhile, the disingenuous, hypocritical band of bastards that manage them stand up and fling more simplistic, regressive, populist crap at us, as they seek to strip back employment rights, housing benefit for most, hint at, if not advocate, rolling back abortion, strip further civil liberties from us and lurching violently to the right and setting back the state towards the 19th century.

I would wish for 2015, but Labour were no different when they were in power. Social democracy is seemingly dead here. Leaves you impotent with irritation.

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5130
Page:   <<   < prev  169 170 [171] 172 173   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  169 170 [171] 172 173   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI