Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  167 168 [169] 170 171   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/8/2012 8:49:26 PM   
Sway

Yeah I just deleted my post after discovering that. Nothing to see here!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 5041
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/8/2012 8:49:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah fake as ever. Going to be odd when it eventually happens.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 5042
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/8/2012 8:49:53 PM   
Hood_Man

I swear almost all I can see on my feed is:

"Sky News: Margaret Thatcher is dead!"

Post #: 5043
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/8/2012 8:54:19 PM   
Sway

Well don't I feel like a walloper.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5044
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/8/2012 8:58:03 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

BREAKING NEWS - Thatcher's not really dead you thick cunts. Thanks for the publicity fuckers.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 5045
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/8/2012 9:00:18 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

BREAKING NEWS - Thatcher's not really dead you thick cunts. Thanks for the publicity fuckers.

You sure that's not the real Sky News Twitter?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5046
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/8/2012 9:37:45 PM   
boaby

Doctors declare people dead, not the news. Especially not Murdoch's b!tches.

I almost made it to the cupboard where I keep "the bottle" but then I realised I was letting heart rule head.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5047
RE: The British Politics Thread - 15/8/2012 6:50:17 AM   
sanchia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19259207

So it appears the legacy they kept claiming they wanted to maintain is going to be massive cuts to sports funding.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 5048
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/8/2012 5:04:30 PM   
Brundlesflies

Julian Assange granted political asylum by Ecuador

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19281492

Now I'm not sure what to make of Assange - but the Foreign Office does seem to be acting rather heavy-handidly here. Threatening to revoke Ecuador's diplomatic status in order to enter the Embassy and arrest the guy.
Now, obviously, rape is a serious allegation & one I believe Assange should be held to account for (even if the circumstances leading up to these allegations being been made are somewhat murky)

However, I can't help feeling he's got a point in saying he'll be denied a fair trial & faces the very real threat of being extradited straight to the US - something Sweden have not denied could happen

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5049
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/8/2012 5:52:22 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The problem with the Assange situation is that he knows full well America are gunning for him hardcore, the rape allegations all appeared after Wikileaks came onto the scene which would suggest an attempt to discredit him or look for a reason to arrest him a tactic which the US has employed before.

Considering the way America have behaved over the years no one can conclude Assange is guilty of anything save exposing some yank brutality like the gunship killings in Iraq. Still no one knows the full story.

By the way threatening to revoke Ecuador's status over a rape case? That says it all really

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 5050
RE: The British Politics Thread - 16/8/2012 8:16:37 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brundlesflies

However, I can't help feeling he's got a point in saying he'll be denied a fair trial & faces the very real threat of being extradited straight to the US - something Sweden have not denied could happen

Yes because they were asked to attest that they would *never* extradite Assange to the US - so they couldn't affirm that they wouldn't on the basis that...

1 they have not received a extradition request and could not say how it would fare in their court system, or how it would work with EAW and the UK courts having to acquiesce to the extradition request as well.
2 they have no way of knowing what Assange may do in the future.

Mind you what's amusing is that the ecuadorian embassy is only part of a shared building - the moment that Assange steps into the lobby he is subject to british laws again.

I don't think he thought this through completely.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 5051
RE: The British Politics Thread - 18/8/2012 8:18:37 AM   
DancingClown

Fairly contemptible:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 5052
RE: The British Politics Thread - 18/8/2012 9:17:29 AM   
Brundlesflies

I love how they use China & Brazil as examples of what we should be aiming for!
Never mind the massive human rights abuses and phenomenal levels of poverty
Clueless frickin' knob jockeys

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5053
RE: The British Politics Thread - 18/8/2012 10:02:06 AM   
sanchia

Didn't a report a couple of years ago show that the British worked the longest hours in Europe and often did many hours of unpaid overtime in addition?

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5054
RE: The British Politics Thread - 18/8/2012 10:13:17 AM   
elab49

3 of them have pretty much been in politics since they finally left education (Raab as a lawyer and, although it says he worked as a business lawyer, the dates imply that must have been for a week or two before heading off to Palestinian politics), Skidmore straight from Uni, Patel straight from Uni. Kwarteng may have had some kind of job but seems to have been an academic author and then politics. Truss is the only one that seems to have had a full job but her wiki page sounds like she's a classic case of a reaction against political parents on the other side. Only one isn't Oxbridge and she went straight from Uni to Lansley,

This is the kind of Tory party they are supposed to be trying to pretend doesn't exist anymore.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 5055
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/8/2012 6:03:40 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

3 of them have pretty much been in politics since they finally left education (Raab as a lawyer and, although it says he worked as a business lawyer, the dates imply that must have been for a week or two before heading off to Palestinian politics), Skidmore straight from Uni, Patel straight from Uni. Kwarteng may have had some kind of job but seems to have been an academic author and then politics. Truss is the only one that seems to have had a full job but her wiki page sounds like she's a classic case of a reaction against political parents on the other side. Only one isn't Oxbridge and she went straight from Uni to Lansley,

This is the kind of Tory party they are supposed to be trying to pretend doesn't exist anymore.

And following on in that vein.................................................

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug/20/sell-social-housing-fund-homes

Because of course, we're all in this big community together - just with the poorer types not in the nice areas.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5056
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/8/2012 6:21:47 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsFinkelstein

And following on in that vein.................................................

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug/20/sell-social-housing-fund-homes

Because of course, we're all in this big community together - just with the poorer types not in the nice areas.

I saw a guy on the news (I think he was one of the authors) defending the report earlier. Even if we assume that uprooting people and moving them out of the way for wealthy people to claim an area as their own is ok for a government to do, I'm not sure how they've worked their figures out. If they believe that 80k-170k houses can be built for the 4.5bn each year quoted, can decent housing really be built for between 26.5k and 56.25k? And if so, why the fuck are new house prices so much higher than that (as we can assume they will be when sold on, what with the average price of a new build being around 216k in the UK at the moment)?

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5057
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/8/2012 11:01:27 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/aug/20/george-galloway-julian-assange-rape

Words fail me...................................................actually they don't. Fecking offensive idiot.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5058
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 7:04:21 AM   
elab49

I think there's a certain Polanski-esque re-definition of sexual assault going on for some. What tends to confuse me about this whole thing is the continuing relationship after these alleged events and how that ended up in a police station tbh. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5059
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 9:30:30 AM   
Rinc

As Robert Webb described him on Twitter last night:

Galloway: demagogue, rape revisionist, Stalin mourner, Saddam Hussein defender, Milosovich apologist, alleged war profiteer... Panderer to Muslim patriarchy, mortal opponent of and eternal bitch to the great Christopher Hitchens.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5060
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 12:21:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

He forgot 'cunt'......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5061
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 1:36:28 PM   
great_badir

And the funny thing is Galloway is, apparently, a really genuinely nice guy away from the limelight.

I'm not defending him you understand, merely reporting what I've heard from several reputable sources.

I'm confused about this Assange business - admittedly I've not been following it, but the last I heard (AGES ago) was that it had been proven that Assange was completely innocent of any actual wrong doing and was only guilty of shagging someone.

Can anyone just sum up what's happened since, in a sentence?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 5062
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 1:44:38 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Can anyone just sum up what's happened since, in a sentence?

Nope, but in brief, a UK court said he should be extradited to Sweden to be prosecuted for the sex allegations, but Assange fears that the result of this will be another extradition, this time to the US, who will probably charge him with treason or terrorism or some shit like that. The result of this is that Assange sought asylum, which Ecuador has given, though pretty much the instant he leaves that embassy he'll probably be arrested since he can't really leave the UK as he's wanted and all.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 5063
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 1:50:29 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum
Nope, but in brief, a UK court said he should be extradited to Sweden to be prosecuted for the sex allegations, but Assange fears that the result of this will be another extradition, this time to the US, who will probably charge him with treason or terrorism or some shit like that. The result of this is that Assange sought asylum, which Ecuador has given, though pretty much the instant he leaves that embassy he'll probably be arrested since he can't really leave the UK as he's wanted and all.

That's almost a sentence - thanks.

So IS he innocent? Of rape, I mean. Or is that still unclear?

I'm sure it was reported as being a provably completely unfounded allegation...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 5064
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 2:46:17 PM   
Rebel scum

As far as I'm aware, he's not been declared innocent in any way that would help his case. The main argument in his favour that's it's veeeery odd that these two women only decided to go forward and press charges once Wikileaks published the first batch of documents which embarrassed/pissed off every government on earth.

Plus, regardless of how bull it could be, he'll still have to go to Sweden to stand trial for it provided the women still want to press charges.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 5065
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 3:02:59 PM   
elab49

The UK court found sufficient to extradite him to answer the charges. I've sadly noticed some pro-Assange celebs focussing solely on the condom thing (which obviously looks dubious if you continue a relationship with someone after this has apparently been an issue) but the original reporting said there was a wider case. Whether that's something that Sweden defines as assault that we don't, or whether it will simply be a him vs them no-one actually knows because Assange won't go and face the charges.

I would say that if it's a conspiracy it's an amazingly kak one.

quote:

Post #: 5066
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 3:04:29 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

He is accused of rape, but until such time as he stands before the court and is tried we don't know if he is legally innocent. This cannot happen until such time as he voluntarily returns to Sweden or he can be lawfully compelled to return.

Most of the commentary on the charges I have read has been from people with no real knowledge of the Swedish criminal system, or worse, no real knowledge of criminal justice in general. It has also been highly polarised based on whether the commentator is pro or anti Wikileaks, and rife with conspiracy theories: something Assange himself is happy to fuel.

From what I can gather the major argument (outside of the conspiracy theories) for many has been that he hasn't been formally charged therefore he shouldn't be extradited. However this is where ignorance of the Swedish system is most readily apparent.

In England (and Wales) the formal charges are brought early in the criminal process, usually within 48 hours of the arrest. In Sweden they come later and as their system is radically different from ours it is hard to draw direct analogies. The Supreme Court was satisfied under the English system charges would already have been brought therefore extradition is not in breach of any law or treaty.

There is an excellent summary here.

As far as I can see Assange is using his notoriety, and playing on the paranoia of his supporters with respect to the US wanting to snatch him from Sweden, to try to evade facing the music for his alleged actions. If the case against him is as flimsy as he says it won't stand up to scrutiny so why doesn't he go and clear his name?

Post #: 5067
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 4:06:45 PM   
SWOTBM

Everyone's favourite treasury minister is back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19329758

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 5068
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 4:30:48 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

And the funny thing is Galloway is, apparently, a really genuinely nice guy away from the limelight.

Every single piece of evidence I have seen is to the contrary but as I have never met him in real life I'll have to take the word of the reputable sources you speak of.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 5069
RE: The British Politics Thread - 21/8/2012 8:53:57 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

quote:

He is accused of rape, but until such time as he stands before the court and is tried we don't know if he is legally innocent. This cannot happen until such time as he voluntarily returns to Sweden or he can be lawfully compelled to return.

Most of the commentary on the charges I have read has been from people with no real knowledge of the Swedish criminal system, or worse, no real knowledge of criminal justice in general. It has also been highly polarised based on whether the commentator is pro or anti Wikileaks, and rife with conspiracy theories: something Assange himself is happy to fuel.

From what I can gather the major argument (outside of the conspiracy theories) for many has been that he hasn't been formally charged therefore he shouldn't be extradited. However this is where ignorance of the Swedish system is most readily apparent.

In England (and Wales) the formal charges are brought early in the criminal process, usually within 48 hours of the arrest. In Sweden they come later and as their system is radically different from ours it is hard to draw direct analogies. The Supreme Court was satisfied under the English system charges would already have been brought therefore extradition is not in breach of any law or treaty.

There is an excellent summary here.

As far as I can see Assange is using his notoriety, and playing on the paranoia of his supporters with respect to the US wanting to snatch him from Sweden, to try to evade facing the music for his alleged actions. If the case against him is as flimsy as he says it won't stand up to scrutiny so why doesn't he go and clear his name?

I've not been a particular follower of the whole affair, but I'd agree with this. The guy seems like a bit of a twat to me - like he's bought into all his hype, controversy and notoriety a bit too much. At the middle of all this politcal pratting and playing around, the guy's an alleged rapist - it's not a game.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 5070
Page:   <<   < prev  167 168 [169] 170 171   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  167 168 [169] 170 171   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI