Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  166 167 [168] 169 170   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/7/2012 12:43:24 PM   
elab49

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 5011
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/7/2012 1:01:44 PM   
clownfoot

If there's one thing I learnt yesterday it's that politicians share an awkwardness at sports akin to Sheldon Cooper and Barry Kripke...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5012
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/7/2012 1:10:43 PM   
elab49

I'd keep an eye out - he looks the type to hold grudges.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5013
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/7/2012 1:19:20 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

If there's one thing I learnt yesterday it's that politicians share an awkwardness at sports akin to Sheldon Cooper and Barry Kripke...

I think they just crumble at all social events. It always makes me feel uncomfortable watching Dave roll his sleeves up to play the Wii at an old folks home or something.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5014
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/7/2012 2:57:43 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

In light of the catastrophic economic figures isn't it time the Lib Dems simply broke off from these fools who are running our country into the ground? Austerity has failed miserably here and in Europe

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 5015
RE: The British Politics Thread - 25/7/2012 4:24:11 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

In light of the catastrophic economic figures isn't it time the Lib Dems simply broke off from these fools who are running our country into the ground? Austerity has failed miserably here and in Europe

This gets said every couple of weeks or so, for whatever reason is applicable at the time. Fact of the matter is that it's obviously never going to happen - they are in it for the duration. They've had dozens of reasons to break from the Coalition but have repeatedly passed them up (often completely betraying their voters in the process). That's bad enough, but they have even failed to bring through what they sold their voters up the stream for (AV and Lords reform). Breaking from the Coalition now would probably trigger a GE, and they would be utterly annihilated. They would fall so hard that it's not entirely impossible that they would no longer be the 3rd party. So they'll forlornly cling on to what little power Cameron throws them from his table for the next few years, like like a lightbulb dimly flickering to remind you of it's existence before it dies.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 5016
RE: The British Politics Thread - 26/7/2012 3:19:17 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

There's a way out, 1. ditch Nick Clegg. 2. install Vince Cable as leader, 3. break out of the coalition 4. join up with Milliband, 5. Take the Tory wankers to the cleaners

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5017
RE: The British Politics Thread - 26/7/2012 4:03:57 PM   
sharkboy

There's a better scenario - Cable grows a pair and leaves the party to start his own version of the SDP of old, taking quite a few of the coalition with him.  Then when the general election is called Lib Dem voters, disgusted by the ankle-grabbing behaviour of their current leader, will have a viable alternative.  Post-GE, Cable's party becomes the 3rd party after the spectacular implosion of the Lib Dems giving Milliband a credible coalition partner if needed, following which the remaining Lib Dem members are clawing to get into some sort of agreement with Cable's party.  History repeats itself with the eventual amalgamation of the Lib Dems and Vince's group and the liberals live happily ever after, back in their comfort zone of bronze medal winners but with their moral compass pointing due north again.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 5018
RE: The British Politics Thread - 26/7/2012 5:13:29 PM   
sanchia

Dear Mr Cable,

I have suggestion you may wish to contemplate...

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 5019
RE: The British Politics Thread - 26/7/2012 5:14:04 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

This gets said every couple of weeks or so, for whatever reason is applicable at the time. Fact of the matter is that it's obviously never going to happen - they are in it for the duration.

Nah, they'll break off, but only about 6-9 months before an election is due anyway. They'll then spend the remaining months reminding everyone just how brave and principled they were for leaving when they did. Just like the Green Party in Ireland. And just like them, they'll be annihilated at the polls.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5020
RE: The British Politics Thread - 26/7/2012 9:27:00 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

There's a better scenario - Cable grows a pair and leaves the party to start his own version of the SDP of old, taking quite a few of the coalition with him.  Then when the general election is called Lib Dem voters, disgusted by the ankle-grabbing behaviour of their current leader, will have a viable alternative.  Post-GE, Cable's party becomes the 3rd party after the spectacular implosion of the Lib Dems giving Milliband a credible coalition partner if needed, following which the remaining Lib Dem members are clawing to get into some sort of agreement with Cable's party.  History repeats itself with the eventual amalgamation of the Lib Dems and Vince's group and the liberals live happily ever after, back in their comfort zone of bronze medal winners but with their moral compass pointing due north again.

This ^

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 5021
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 1:45:09 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Oooooooh very nice!

The only problem Cable will face is the fact he's been forced to tow the party line and back Osbourne for the sake of the coalition - that will be tricky to negotiate

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 5022
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 5:45:54 PM   
Rinc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19017544

So with one hand the government make it harder and less attractive to become a teacher (higher fees, less bursaries, no golden hellos, higher qualifications needed). And with the other they make it a whole lot easier. So easy you won't need a teaching qualification for a large percentage of schools in the country.

And I thought the government wanted to make teaching more of a respected and sought after profession like it is in many other countries.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 5023
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 5:53:29 PM   
elab49

That is shocking. What kind of cost-cutting nonsense are they going to apply to these kids? 

quote:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5024
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 6:14:45 PM   
galvatron

I called this two years ago when the Tories came back in. Push the academies was stage one. This is stage two by allowing non-qualified people to teach. Stage three I think is to deprofessionalise teaching. Teaching doesn't have the same respect in other developed countries here and there seems to be the belief that you can just walk in from the stock exchange or the army base and teach kids. Total chaos will ensue!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 5025
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 6:54:53 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

That is shocking. What kind of cost-cutting nonsense are they going to apply to these kids? 

This is blatantly cost cutting. They might say they're doing it so other professionals can teach more easily and improve teaching (how, if they're not trained as teachers, I don't know). But it's obviously a way of paying people to teach without paying them on the qualified teachers scale. Unqualified teachers can be paid anything really.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5026
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 7:40:11 PM   
boaby

quote:

quote:

Oooooooh very nice!

The only problem Cable will face is the fact he's been forced to tow the party line and back Osbourne for the sake of the coalition - that will be tricky to negotiate

How's this...

Scotland votes for independence. Charles Kennedy returns to front line politics to help rebuild Scotland politically and constitutionally. Ming and the lad Steel tag along. Beaker collapses into a formless mess without Gideon's fist up his hoop. Labour get a boost by losing gits like Douglas Alexander, Jim Murphy, Gogs Broon. MacMafia gone, middle England more receptive. Labour and Cable's Dems get snuggly knowing fine that that's the only chance either have of seeing power again at Westminster without 40-odd Scottish Labour MPs.

Tories rejoice. What remains of the working class despairs and the middle is happy as Larry so long as there's sky telly and some event every now'n'again at which to wave whatever is the new flag.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 5027
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 7:46:19 PM   
Ghidorah

The Government next move might be to ablohish background checks on these so called teachers. Seriously I do hope this damaging Government have some sense and see the greater amount of dangers this crazy idea can cause.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5028
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 8:05:17 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby
Labour and Cable's Dems get snuggly knowing fine that that's the only chance either have of seeing power again at Westminster without 40-odd Scottish Labour MPs.

I've seen this sort of thing said many times, and I've never understood it. For a start, Tony Blair would have won each of his elections without the Scottish MP's. Sure, the majorities wouldn't have been as large, but they would still have been fairly comfortable (at least, in '97 and '01). No doubt the Tories would relish it happening, but the belief that Scottish independence would leave Labour with no chance of being in power is a fallacy.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5029
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 8:09:56 PM   
boaby

quote:

quote:

Labour and Cable's Dems get snuggly knowing fine that that's the only chance either have of seeing power again at Westminster without 40-odd Scottish Labour MPs.

I've seen this sort of thing said many times, and I've never understood it. For a start, Tony Blair would have won each of his elections without the Scottish MP's. Sure, the majorities wouldn't have been as large, but they would still have been fairly comfortable (at least, in '97 and '01). No doubt the Tories would relish it happening, but the belief that Scottish independence would leave Labour with no chance of being in power is a fallacy.

Well that depends if the Labour party is actually the Labour Party rather than just calling itself the Labour Party.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5030
RE: The British Politics Thread - 27/7/2012 8:30:27 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well that depends if the Labour party is actually the Labour Party rather than just calling itself the Labour Party.

I think you're underestimating just how unpopular the Tories are capable of making themselves. John Smith would almost certainly have been PM had he lived, and he was considerably further to the left than Blair (who himself hardly campaigned on a centre-right platform in '97). However New Labour turned out after they assumed control, when they were voted in at the '97 election England voted for a Labour government. Given the job the Tories are doing right now, I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen again in 2 and a half years time.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5031
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/8/2012 10:11:44 AM   
sanchia

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/tory-mp-louise-mensch-to-step-down-16194281.html

What a shame, now they will need to find some other fame hungry person to open mouth and insert foot on a regular basis.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5032
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/8/2012 1:48:25 PM   
Hood_Man

That's all well and good, but is she also closing her twitter account? She's like an angry David Brent with bigger boobs.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5033
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/8/2012 6:09:29 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I'll always remember Mensch for this legendary humiliation : (even though Morgran is a total knob)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJwM1DnLu4

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5034
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/8/2012 6:22:57 PM   
boaby

Trish reckons Mensch was up for promotion. Pity she's gone. Incompetent Tories are always good for a laugh.

Meanwhile, could the Lib Dems finally show a bit of needle? Trish, no doubt smugly, tells Clegg the bleeding obvious: the party of the establishment can't be convinced that Lords needs reform. Will the spineless ones screw the boundary changes? British democracy continues to be phucked about with for petty political reasons rather than principle. Classily as ever.

Post #: 5035
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/8/2012 6:34:36 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Basically to cut a long story short, the Lib Dems have gained nothing from being in government with the Tories apart from being forced to back terrible economic policies and a shameful attack on the NHS.

The question they should surely be asking themselves is: when the fuck can we get out of this unholy coalition?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5036
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/8/2012 7:32:54 PM   
sanchia

Probably by getting rid of their leader?

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5037
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/8/2012 7:39:41 PM   
Ghidorah

There appear to be some tension in the Lib Dem party because why else would Nick Clegg speak out now and not back then. We are in the middle of the Olympics, MPs are having their recess and this Lord Reform vote happened like a month ago. The timing of speaking out now is odd.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5038
RE: The British Politics Thread - 6/8/2012 7:49:56 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

There appear to be some tension in the Lib Dem party because why else would Nick Clegg speak out now and not back then. We are in the middle of the Olympics, MPs are having their recess and this Lord Reform vote happened like a month ago. The timing of speaking out now is odd.

Appease the party faithful by speaking out, appease the coalition spin doctors by doing it during the Olympics when everybody is looking the other way.

win, win!

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 5039
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/8/2012 8:48:49 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Apparently, according to SkyNews on Twitter, Margaret Thatcher has died. I can't find anything to support this just yet.

By the looks of things its a wind-up as that wasn't the actual Sky News Twitter
Post #: 5040
Page:   <<   < prev  166 167 [168] 169 170   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  166 167 [168] 169 170   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI