Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

How To Train Your Dragon

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> How To Train Your Dragon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How To Train Your Dragon - 29/3/2010 7:51:30 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 29/3/2010 11:48:06 PM   
benjaminlwright

Saw this on Saturday and thought it was great. Will definitely be buying the Blu-ray when it comes out.
Post #: 2
RE: - 3/4/2010 2:58:57 PM   
VictoC

saw it in the 3d and absolutely loved it in the flight sequences i was on the edge of my seat which was ridiculous considering, the 3d was a definite hit too and you really felt immersed in the action.  Husband bit crazy about it keeps insisting he wants a dragon now........will def buy it when is released!!
Post #: 3
RE: Loved it - 4/4/2010 2:45:38 PM   
robwillphill

This is actually better than Shrek... i just really loved it!

quote:

ORIGINAL: The kUrGaN

as an avid Pixar fan, and never been in love with Dreamworks animation, this was a breath of fresh (fiery) air. Some gorgeous animation, and at times a sensitive touching story, mixed in with some breath taking flight scenes and an all action finale to rival the best (and best thing Gerard Butler has done since 300...unfortunately).

I love Pixar and enjoy some of the Dreamworks animations, but I have to agree with this review - especially the part about Gerard Butler!

9/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house
Post #: 4
RE: Loved it - 6/4/2010 10:38:34 AM   
skeletonjack

Brilliant family film, the closest Dreamworks has gotten to Pixar yet. Thankfully free of all of the god awful pop culture references that have plagued the majority of Dreamworks back catalogue. See it in 3-D if possible.
4 stars

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 5
RE: Loved it - 8/4/2010 5:46:05 PM   
Dr Lenera

Dreamwork's CG toons tend to be a bit of a mixed bag, but How to Train Your Dragon is very impressive.   The studio's animated movies usually seem to be better when they minimise the pop culure and 'adult' references, and so it is with this one.  Set in a very impressively detailed Viking world, it's more of a fantasy action film than anything else, and while there are a few well placed laughs, for the most part it's fairly serious.  Much of the time it alternates thrilling training sequences with scenes of the hero befriending a dragon [yes there are similarities to Dragonheart], than climaxes with a terrific half hour or so if spectacular action.  The final dragon chase is possibly the most exciting CG toon action set piece done so far.  The characters are mostly stock but an attempt has been made to give some of them a bit of depth, though of course it's the various dragons that are the star of the show, being superbly designed and executed, and almost convincing as live beings.  The 3D, while rarely 'in your face', is pretty good.  It seems that 3D is at it's most convincing in non live-action movies such as this, and the flying scenes here are quite stunning.  I still maintain that the technique has not been perfected yet, and I'm not totally sure that it's worth bothering about, but at least here you don't get people standing right in front of you that seem seperate from the main action such as in Avatar and My Bloody Valentine.  With an outstanding and quite rousing score by John Powell that sounds nothing at all like his Bourne work, this is a very good example of a film that should entertain adults and kids equally.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 6
RE: Loved it - 8/4/2010 6:30:45 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

3D is a waste of time but it's the norm nowadays, went to watch this because there was nothing else on today.

Was a bit disapointed, action was great, story was great, characters were good but the script could have done with a polish. They could have got lots more jokes in, a lot of the dialogue could have been down better. Butler was great, althought not sure why they couldn't have got a scotish actor to play the lead as well, just seemed odd. My biggest complaint is probably with Craig Ferguson, might just be because I found his voice instantly recognisable but he just never sounded like the ugly, scarred blacksmith he was portraying, more a criticism of the casting than Craig's abilities.

Dragons instantly likable, just wish they had spent a bit longer on the laughs.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 7
RE: Beautiful and Sweet Hearted - 14/4/2010 6:12:38 PM   
ogiekeaney

i dont understand the lukewarm reception this film is getting.this is truly one of the greatest animated films of all time!i feel sorry for anyone who misses this film in 3d as it is one of the most thrilling and beatuiful film i have ever seen,and dvd will just not do it justice.go watch it now!
Post #: 8
RE: Beautiful and Sweet Hearted - 14/4/2010 11:49:36 PM   
maffew

This film has perhaps one of the longest montages I've ever seen in my entire life.

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to ogiekeaney)
Post #: 9
RE: - 17/4/2010 4:14:18 AM   
empire No. 1

took my family to this for my 40th, not just cos some were too young for other films, but because this is a SUPURB PIECE OF ENTERTAINMENT. I had seen it twice already. ALL LOVED IT, ages 10 to 65. CANNOT BE MISSED. A Thrilling 9/10 (3D)
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 18/4/2010 1:57:12 PM   
robwillphill

Happy Birthday!

and yeah the 3D was amazing!

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to empire No. 1)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 19/4/2010 9:03:16 AM   
megan veigas

Saw this in 3D yesterday. Beautiful - but what I was also taken by was the artwork in the end credits and I cannot quite find out who the artist was who did it. If anybody knows I would be most grateful.

One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.
Kurt Vonnegut, "Cold Turkey", In These Times, May 10, 2004

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 19/4/2010 12:20:53 PM   
iheartthetalkies

Initially, this film wasn't appealing to me, but it had good buzz so I thought I should go see it. I was pleasantly surprised - I really enjoyed it! I thought the protagonist was suitably identifiable, and Toothless was incredibly cute. The animation was excellent - the 3D enhanced it immensely. It seems to me that, from the films I've seen, 3D works best in animation or CGI-heavy scenes, the effect is not the same with live action films. I have written a full review of How to Train Your Dragon on my site - click if interested!

http://iheartthetalkies.com/

(in reply to megan veigas)
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 21/4/2010 12:09:50 PM   
grucl

Did I imagine it or was the shot when the young vikings first enter the training arena an exact recreation of the shot in Gladiator when Maximus first enters the Collosseum?

(in reply to iheartthetalkies)
Post #: 14
- 13/12/2010 9:50:39 PM   
TheGodfather

How To Train Your Dragon
A highly enjoyable film with beautiful animations and good humour but every now and again I did find it to be too moralistic.
Also, that accent on the Vikings didn`t fit at all although it was fun.
But hey, if that is everything that is wrong with it than they could release much more animation films like this!

7,8/10

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 15
- 14/12/2010 10:42:41 AM   
reminn

Average.

Post #: 16
CHARMING - 25/3/2011 7:28:10 PM   
DMeister

There are elements here that have been tried and tested before but what sets this apart is the irresistable charm of this movie. The relationship between Hiccup and Toothless is both sweet and funny and with some decent animation, this is quality entertainment.

Post #: 17
Perfect animated movie - 27/3/2011 10:47:03 PM   
lukejt02

This is how an animated movie is done!! Was completely engrossed from start to finish and loving every minute of it, which is more than i can say for most movies. 
A great story and animation, puts it right up there with Toy Story!

Post #: 18
RE: Perfect animated movie - 4/5/2011 6:57:58 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Got this and tbh wasn't expecting much from it. Sure I'd imagined it would be decent but I finished it and I was just blown away. Great movie. Perfect. Part of me doesn't even want the sequel which is on the way in case it ruins this great film! Must see for film fans never mind animation fans.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to lukejt02)
Post #: 19
RE: How To Train Your Dragon - 5/7/2011 11:09:41 PM   
megatron_bee

I LOVE HOW TO TRAIN YOU DRAGON!!
It's a m a z i n g !

Toothless is just sooooo cute :D

Music Enthusiast

Post #: 20
RE: How To Train Your Dragon - 13/7/2011 10:41:00 AM   
Lloyd Ihenacho

I actually thought this was a great film, suitable for both adults and children. Im in my 20's and wasnt bored to death by immature dross. the Cinematics were on point and there seemed to be a realy clarity to both the picture and the plot. I was thoroughly impressed.

Post #: 21
RE: How To Train Your Dragon - 25/10/2011 2:23:29 AM   
bozo

This is the least original and most predictable film I've seen this year. The characters lacked depth and charm, the voice casting was terrible, the story was cliche-ridden, even the animation wasn't anything special. And the plot was so tediously predictable it was downright boring. Dreamworks' darkest hour.

(in reply to Lloyd Ihenacho)
Post #: 22
RE: How To Train Your Dragon - 28/12/2011 7:03:59 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Quite simply a brilliant film IMO, the visuals the action and excitement, some truly great flying scenes and a stunning score. The dragon Toothless is super cute and I have to agree with Helen O'Hara's review that this is the best Dreamworks movie to date.

Personally I enjoyed it more than Toy Story 3 as well.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 23
How to Train Your Dragon Review - 2/1/2012 10:08:45 PM   
the film man

Boasting dazzling animation, a script with surprising dramatic depth, and thrilling 3-D sequences, How to Train Your Dragon soars.

Post #: 24
Very suitable for families - 28/4/2014 2:27:30 PM   
JessssObrien

There is just too much I have to say for it to fit in here. So here's a link to my blog and full review

http://jessssobrien94site.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/how-to-train-your-dragon-film-review/

Take a look!

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> How To Train Your Dragon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI