Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Nintendo 3DS - March 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 8:50:02 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I was recently thinking about picking up a DS to get my platform needs fulfilled seeing as that's the one area the 360 seem to fall flat on, then I saw this...

Nintendo are unveilling a 3DS at E3 with a March 2011 release date. Basically a 3D console without the need for glasses or a stupidly expensive TV, and like that Sony are put into their place.

Tech Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE&feature=player_embedded

I think Nintendo have taken some advice from whoever did the head tracking hack with the Wii Mote as that looks very similar. I'm not sure if it's true 3D as it might just be using the camera guage where your head is, but it's still impressive for a handheld device, and that's if that tech demo is actually of the new device and not just the existing hardware.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club
Post #: 1
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 10:02:02 AM   
Rod Hull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

I think Nintendo have taken some advice from whoever did the head tracking hack with the Wii Mote as that looks very similar.

Didn't he go and work for Microsoft on Project Natal?

Anywho, this does look fun. Just hope that Nintendo can maintain a steady stream of quality titles for it, rather than relying on shoddy 3rd party faff and nonsense like they have for the DS/DS Lite/DSi/DSiXL/DSiiXL XR3i Turbo.

Not with the pastry!

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 2
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 10:03:19 AM   
dark_exodus

quote:

and like that Sony are put into their place.

How so?

Watched at the Cinema Recently
The Town 4/5
Buried 4/5

www.gameshideout.co.uk

Post #: 3
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 10:10:56 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: dark_exodus

quote:

How so?

Well they're trying to sell stupidly expensive TVs with glasses required to watch them in 3D and to play 3D games, yet Nintendo can produce a handheld console with no glasses required and will be selling it no doubt at a far more reasonable price point. If the average consumer sees this do you not think they'll start to wonder why they need glasses to watch their stupidly expensive TV?

(in reply to dark_exodus)
Post #: 4
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 10:18:46 AM   
Rod Hull

quote:

If the average consumer sees this do you not think they'll start to wonder why they need glasses to watch their stupidly expensive TV?

If democracy has tought us but one thing it is that the average Joe is an idiot.

Not with the pastry!

Post #: 5
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 10:22:01 AM   
dark_exodus

quote:

quote:

quote:

How so?

Well they're trying to sell stupidly expensive TVs with glasses required to watch them in 3D and to play 3D games, yet Nintendo can produce a handheld console with no glasses required and will be selling it no doubt at a far more reasonable price point. If the average consumer sees this do you not think they'll start to wonder why they need glasses to watch their stupidly expensive TV?

But Sony and other TV companies already have 3D technology/TV's that don't require glasses.

The Town 4/5
Buried 4/5

www.gameshideout.co.uk

Post #: 6
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 10:27:11 AM   
UTB

Cool, so all I need to do is ask the missus to pick up the 58inch TV and shake it around a bit? 

Post #: 7
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 10:32:40 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How so?

But Sony and other TV companies already have 3D technology/TV's that don't require glasses.

And have you seen the price points and estimated market saturation date? Sky high and years away.

Post #: 8
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 10:46:46 AM   
dark_exodus

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How so?

And have you seen the price points and estimated market saturation date? Sky high and years away.

The uptake of new technology is always slow (HD, Blu-Ray, etc...) The price will drop over time, and in time for when the consumer actually wants the new tech.
Maybe this is the beginning, but I don't see how it puts Sony or any other TV manufacturer in their place. It's a handled console and so a completely different market
Anyway I personally see all this 3D stuff as a waste of time. It adds nothing to the movie, TV, gaming experience. Unless it's unique in some other way, I for one will not be rushing out to purchase a 3D console, handled or TV.

< Message edited by dark_exodus -- 23/3/2010 10:47:32 AM >

The Town 4/5
Buried 4/5

www.gameshideout.co.uk

Post #: 9
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 23/3/2010 5:44:58 PM   
britesparc

quote:

Anyway I personally see all this 3D stuff as a waste of time. It adds nothing to the movie, TV, gaming experience. Unless it's unique in some other way, I for one will not be rushing out to purchase a 3D console, handled or TV.

Have you played any 3D games?  I'm not defending Sony's stance of using the PS3 as a Trojan Horse for trying to sell their 3D TVs, but 3D can add a lot to a game.  HUDs that pop out of the screen at you, a greater sense of depth, immersion, etc - and I speak from experience here. 

Personally, I can see it being a while before 3D becomes popular, let alone standard - in fact, I think there'll have to be wide-scale adoption of a glasses-free approach first.  But 3D does add something to gameplay, probably more than it does for films, as gaming is often a more individual experience.

And I'm very excited by the 3DS...

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Post #: 10
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 24/3/2010 8:39:26 AM   
HIM

quote:

quote:

quote:

How so?

Firstly, does your hatred for Sony know no bounds? They're not the only ones pushing 3D TV. Sky are also. And there's a myriad television makers also pushing the format and making their own 3D TVs. And you can also bet Microsoft won't be far behind with the Xbox 360 too. You sound just like all those people blaming Sony for pushing Blu-ray, when they're simply one of many companies pushing the format.

Secondly, Nintendo are simply taking existing technology. The 3DS will use the NVIDIA Tegra (or Tegra 2) chip and the screen(s) it will use is made by Fuji. Currently this screen can only reasonably go up to 8" (though the 3DS's screen(s) will obviously be around 4") with a resolution of 400x600. Which is simply not good enough for living rooms where 40"+ 1080p HDTVs are the norm That is the reason Sony et al are using 3D glasses.

Post #: 11
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 24/3/2010 8:00:58 PM   
dark_exodus

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc

quote:

Have you played any 3D games? I'm not defending Sony's stance of using the PS3 as a Trojan Horse for trying to sell their 3D TVs, but 3D can add a lot to a game. HUDs that pop out of the screen at you, a greater sense of depth, immersion, etc - and I speak from experience here.

And I'm very excited by the 3DS...

No I haven't. I'm basing my experience of 3D purely on my cinema experiences, and maybe that's wrong of me. I'll wait a see and what it adds to games before I judge further. But for general TV, Movies, I stick but what I original said.

< Message edited by dark_exodus -- 24/3/2010 8:01:27 PM >

The Town 4/5
Buried 4/5

www.gameshideout.co.uk

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 12
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 9/1/2011 3:16:41 PM   
Hood_Man

It seems the 3DS may only offer around 3 hours of battery life for 3DS games:

http://www.connectedconsoles.com/ds/nintendo-3ds-battery-life-charging-time-revealed-disappoints/2816/

Older DS games will be able to last closer to 5-8 hours however.

Very disappointing if it's true.

Post #: 13
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 9/1/2011 6:05:14 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Not particularly, the vast majority don't use portable consoles anywhere but at home, plug it in problem solved.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 14
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 9/1/2011 6:18:19 PM   
juanvasquez

No worse than the PSP was with it's massive 2 hour battery life.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 15
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 9/1/2011 9:03:48 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

No worse than the PSP was with it's massive 2 hour battery life.

Hopefully some third party or something comes up with a better battery latter down the line.

Alas ... I won't be jumping on board with this. The 3D? Ermmmm well I don't have any strong feelings towards it. Though honestly think it would work better on a console. If it does add immersion it would surely work better on a bigger screen. The graphics do look splendid though, that Resident Evil game looked on par with the 360 almost.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 16
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 9/1/2011 9:09:06 PM   
Hood_Man

To be fair guys I was talking about myself being disappointed, not "the masses."

Hopefully the battery life improves as I quite like having something to do when I'm on long journeys.  It's the same with charging my phone, if I forget to charge it overnight it'll be dead by lunchtime, I imagine it'll be the same thing with this.

Using it at home is another matter entirely of course.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 17
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 1:10:49 PM   
Super Hans

I was reading about the 3DS late last year and was getting quite interested but I'd almost forgotten about it now!

I'm not overly excited about the 3D aspect but as I play on my DS a fair amount, I like the idea of better graphics and some decent looking remakes of N64 games (a console I regrettably didn't own).  As it stands now I might go for it when it gets to the point where I've run out of DS games I want to play and when they stop bringing out respectable new games for it.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 18
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 1:20:43 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I was reading about the 3DS late last year and was getting quite interested but I'd almost forgotten about it now!

I'm not overly excited about the 3D aspect but as I play on my DS a fair amount, I like the idea of better graphics and some decent looking remakes of N64 games (a console I regrettably didn't own). As it stands now I might go for it when it gets to the point where I've run out of DS games I want to play and when they stop bringing out respectable new games for it.

Head down. Tail between legs. Out. Now.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 19
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 1:34:53 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

I'm not overly excited about the 3D aspect but as I play on my DS a fair amount, I like the idea of better graphics and some decent looking remakes of N64 games (a console I regrettably didn't own).  As it stands now I might go for it when it gets to the point where I've run out of DS games I want to play and when they stop bringing out respectable new games for it.

What were you saying about elitist gamers in another thread .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 20
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 1:36:44 PM   
HIM

Aren't all the best N64 games out on DS anyway? I can't see the need to re-re-release them on the 3DS.

Post #: 21
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 1:38:02 PM   
HIM

Japanese launch games:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-10-nintendo-3ds-japanese-launch-line-up

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 22
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 1:40:59 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

I'm not overly excited about the 3D aspect but as I play on my DS a fair amount, I like the idea of better graphics and some decent looking remakes of N64 games (a console I regrettably didn't own). As it stands now I might go for it when it gets to the point where I've run out of DS games I want to play and when they stop bringing out respectable new games for it.

What were you saying about elitist gamers in another thread .

That's not elitist, that's common sense and good taste

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 23
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 1:41:22 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Aren't all the best N64 games out on DS anyway? I can't see the need to re-re-release them on the 3DS.

Ocarina of Time in 3D. Argument won.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 24
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 1:48:44 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Ocarina of Time in 3D. Argument won.

What will make it a better game in 3D then? It can't be greater immersion, not on a 4" screen anyway.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 25
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 3:03:58 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Even if it's not better, I no longer own an N64 and I just want to play the game again. I've played on emulators a few times since and it doesn't run the best, some graphical glitches etc.

But the visuals have been done up, it may not be the best looking 3DS game, but it's cleaner than the N64 version less jagged edges, more detail and improved textures, so a bit nicer on the eyes (not that I have a problem playing it as it was but even if I were to get a used copy and N64 it'd look even worse stretched out accross a 1080p TV.) But the 3D will be used to nice effect, I have faith Nintendo will do a good job and make the 3D more than just a change in visuals, I can actually imagine it being rather useful in the Gerudo section when you're firing arrows at targets etc. Same with the marketplace target practice mini games.

I know you're a bit of a cynic when it comes to 3D games Harry, so I advise you to watch what a hacker alone did with a Wii on youtube, then imagine how developers and hardware manufacturers could take it even further when not bound to 2D panels to boot. It honestly adds a whole new level to any kind of shooting in a game. It's even easier to replicate on a handheld device as head tracking isn't necessary, you can just tilt or move the device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

If you don't think that's something worthwhile to add to games then I'd be surprised.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 10/1/2011 3:12:51 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 26
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 8:06:53 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

I went for a Playstation back then and trust me SHP, I've been hanging my head ever since!

Post #: 27
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 10/1/2011 11:13:08 PM   
HIM

Why didn't you just get both? Or pick up an N64 on the cheap when the next generation came in?

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 28
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 11/1/2011 9:04:56 AM   
Super Hans

quote:

Why didn't you just get both? Or pick up an N64 on the cheap when the next generation came in?

Sadly I was much younger then and didn't really have the money!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 29
RE: Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 - 19/1/2011 5:49:27 PM   
juanvasquez

It's up for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk for 219.99.

As keen as I am to get one, given that it's just as much as 360 or PS3 is these days, I think I'm gonna hold out until it's in the more affordable price range. Or when the wife gets me it for xmas .

I'm just keen to play the resi game that's in the pipeline (not the Mercenaries one) as it's supposed to be a return to the more survival horror rather than action-y side of things.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Nintendo 3DS - March 2011 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI