Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 19/3/2010 10:50:15 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

Because they're got a decent amount of acclaim from critics, they must be above average??

Of course not, but when someone is claiming that his last five films have been average to poor it only seems fair to counter that with the nearest thing the internet has to an informed/consensus opinion.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 31
RE: RE: - 19/3/2010 11:38:43 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Disciple

Why are people always moaning that Tim Burton only ever makes adaptations and remakes? After Killer's Kiss, every single one of Stanley Kubrick's movies was based on a book, and any director who hasn't written their own screenplay is basically adapting someone else's work...

Yes but none of Kubrick's films ever had a film or television series to compare it to, whilst Burton's last four or five films have - all of which have been average to poor.

The last five Tim Burton films -

Alice in Wonderland. This has a received mixed reviews (53% on RT, so technically has had more good reviews than bad). Out of his last five films this is pretty much the only one where the general consensus could be considered "average". 53% is far from "poor" tho.

Sweeney Todd. Generally well regarded, picked up a bunch of Golden Globes, including Best Actor in a comedy or musical for Depp, who was also oscar nominated for the role (the film won best art direction at the oscars that year). 86% on rotten tomatoes. Its also considered well compared to previous adaptations of the material for the cinema or TV.

Corpse Bride. An original idea from Burton. 83% on RT. Which is far from average or poor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Has a surprisingly high rating of 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. Which, just to clarify means that 82% of all of the reviews of this film are good. Of all of Burton's adaptations this is the one that is given the roughest ride by online commentators, but is entirely unjustified. Personally I think that the Burton adaptation of the book is far superier to the Gene Wilder version, which is best viewed through rose-tinted nostalgia-goggles.

Big Fish.Was very highly praised upon release, with comparisons to Ed Wood. Its also based upon an original idea from Burton. 76% RT.

So yeah, consider yourself proven wrong.

Adam I respect your views here but for goodness sake please don't be so pernickety, what I merely said was a personal  opinion – which I'm sure you'll agree is allowed here.

And looking at those four to five films, in my opinion they do all rank from average to poor - although I liked Big Fish.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 19/3/2010 11:39:39 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 32
RE: RE: - 19/3/2010 11:44:23 PM   
DazDaMan

I liked Big Fish. Hated Corpse Bride, and nearly slept through Charlie and the Chocolate Factory....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 33
RE: RE: - 19/3/2010 11:47:56 PM   
Qwerty Norris

And to be fair I forgot about the Corpse Bride and had my mind cast back to Planet Of The Apes instead, which I'm sure we can agree on is a stinker.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 34
RE: RE: - 20/3/2010 7:48:22 PM   
juanvasquez

Guess I'm alone in actually wanting this to happen then!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 35
RE: RE: - 21/3/2010 12:34:43 AM   
Deviation

But weren't the 90s films something Burton himself would have directed?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 36
RE: RE: - 21/3/2010 12:55:04 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I don't know, to me they were always second rate Burton rip-offs. I always felt the same about Men in Black, which felt like Burton-lite too.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 37
RE: RE: - 21/3/2010 1:48:29 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I don't know, to me they were always second rate Burton rip-offs. I always felt the same about Men in Black, which felt like Burton-lite too.

Indeed. Like Mars Attacks - but less fun and satirical.

I guess that's why I get so frustraited with Burton, as given he has a track record including the likes of Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Batman Returns etc - he really should be doing a lot better than he has been over the last decade.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 38
Cara Mia... - 21/3/2010 11:53:26 AM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Guess I'm alone in actually wanting this to happen then!

You're not, I too look forward to a stop motion Addams Family version

To be fair with Burton, yes he's adapting well-known stories but he's doing it in ways that have never been done before. Unlike most remakes etc out there he's actually adding something new to very familiar ideas.

Planet of the Apes, putting aside the fact it wasn't very good, was at least completely different to the original, not just a copy/paste version of a classic.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I actually enjoyed, felt fresh and fun. It stayed closer to the book and gave Willy Wonka and his world a completely new makeover. It was a bit hit and miss in terms of jokes but on the whole it was a good kids movie.

Sweeney Todd had never been done in a proper film as far as I know and since it's one of my favourite musicals I was thrilled to see it. Thought it was great, Burton's darkest film to date with a beautifully downbeat ending.

Alice in Wonderland had never been done succesfully as a blend of live-action and animation with the White Rabbit actually looking like a freaking rabbit! So yeah it was a real treat to see that story done like that. For the record, I put that film as above average.

So yeah Addams Family in stop-motion...why so uptight guys? If you were a kid you'd be pissing your pants with glee! I know I would be. And I don't soil easily. Find your inner peeing-your-pants child people! Find him!
Besides, Burton will go back to more original stuff in Dark Shadows, an adaptation yes but who's actually watched the series?

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 39
RE: Cara Mia... - 21/3/2010 1:31:21 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

I think it's such an obvious move from Burton, which is why people are so indifferent about it. I actually really like the Sonnenfeld films, but I think Burton could probably make something closer to the original Charles Addams cartoons, especially in stop motion. Then again, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was closer to the source than the Gene Wilder film, and it was really dull.

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 21/3/2010 1:33:36 PM >

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 40
RE: Cara Mia... - 21/3/2010 1:41:39 PM   
TheSpleen

Addams Family two is a really good film, it's dark and hilarious and has several great performances.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 41
RE: Burton's own visions - 21/3/2010 2:54:50 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Burton is obviously so scarred by Planet of the Apes that he's never leaving his comfort zone again.

PLANET OF THE APES and MARS ATTACKS! - solid evidence that the guy can't do science fiction.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 42
RE: Burton's own visions - 21/3/2010 5:15:38 PM   
Deviation

Mars Attacks! is great you fool. 

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 43
RE: Burton's own visions - 21/3/2010 5:46:07 PM   
Tech_Noir

(I thought Burton's Planet of The Apes was OK)

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 44
RE: Burton's own visions - 21/3/2010 5:52:48 PM   
Deviation

*throws rotten apples at his face*

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 45
RE: Cara Mia... - 22/3/2010 12:34:46 PM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

To be fair with Burton, yes he's adapting well-known stories but he's doing it in ways that have never been done before. Unlike most remakes etc out there he's actually adding something new to very familiar ideas.

Like what?  Let me guess, twisted gothicky imagery, a skewed slant on well loved characters... Tim Burton has become a cliche of himself.  We can guess what it'll be like before he's even started work on it; so I guess he isn't putting that much of a unique twist on things, is he?

He isn't adapting these stories in ways which have never been done before; he's adapting them all the same damn way, one film is like the last.  He has a few exceptions, but I'm tired of seeing the same old shit.  I was really pissed off with the way he sodomised C&TCF; he raped it of all it's magic just to put his slightly bizarre / bent perspective on it.

He needs to wow us with something original; a great story first and foremost, and fit the visuals around whatever is in the best interest of moving the story forward.

< Message edited by Drone -- 22/3/2010 12:39:53 PM >

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 46
RE: Cara Mia... - 22/3/2010 1:49:50 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

Like what?  Let me guess, twisted gothicky imagery, a skewed slant on well loved characters... Tim Burton has become a cliche of himself.  We can guess what it'll be like before he's even started work on it; so I guess he isn't putting that much of a unique twist on things, is he?

He isn't adapting these stories in ways which have never been done before; he's adapting them all the same damn way, one film is like the last.  He has a few exceptions, but I'm tired of seeing the same old shit.  I was really pissed off with the way he sodomised C&TCF; he raped it of all it's magic just to put his slightly bizarre / bent perspective on it.

He needs to wow us with something original; a great story first and foremost, and fit the visuals around whatever is in the best interest of moving the story forward.

I will agree that Burton needs to get some of his audience back with a truly original piece of work. And yes, his style has become something of a brand in itself and as much as I love Bonham Carter and Depp, I would like to see more variety in his casts. As The Hooded Man earlier remarked, Planet of the Apes and maybe Big Fish (Ewan...) might have a lot to do with his reluctance to try something completely different. I'd even be THRILLED to see old regulars Michael Keaton, Paul Reubens, Jack Nicholson come back for more appearances.

As it stands now I actually don't think he's adapting films the same way, Sleepy Hollow had a Hammer B movie vibe, Big Fish was more of a straight-forward whimsical father/son story, CATCF was just quirky, off-beat fun (if, as I've said before, hit and miss), Sweeney Todd was a bloody, sombre musical...

I mean you could compare CATCF with Alice I suppose in that they are both very colourful and based on classic stories but I don't think Burton robbed either of their magic, you could say he's just using his own style of magic to tell those perhaps now over-familiar tales. If you feel like a cosy, nostalgic CATCF there's the Gene Wilder version, if you feel like an animated Alice, there's the 1951 version. I happen to like these better than the Burton "re-imaginings" but his takes on both stories I found fresh and a lot of fun.

Btw I would have pictured Burton's Alice in Wonderland to be much much darker than what it was and the look of his Willy Wonka (oh man that sounds really wrong) I couldn't have guessed in a million years...

Forget that last paragraph it sounds like I want to see Tim Burton's penis. Which I don't.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 47
Blah, blah, blah! - 26/5/2010 8:13:10 PM   
Stingerblue

"We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you. God damn you all to hell."

Joined to just post that .

Didn't like Alice in Wonderland, or Corpse Bride. Each to their own. Hope this "re-imagining" of the Addams Family doesn't star either Depp or Carter. Oh noes, it probably will.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evil_Bob

You mean Tim Burton didn't create The Addams Family?
I thought it was based on his childhood memoirs or something.

roflmao

(in reply to darkraven28)
Post #: 48
RE: RE: - 26/5/2010 8:33:16 PM   
Sphinx

It's only nineteen years old - they'll be remaking lotr at this rate!!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 49
RE: RE: - 27/5/2010 12:48:00 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Give it to the team behind the Fantastic Mr Fox(the whole team!) and i'd be interested.
Stop motion and 3D,maybe with these guys.
Tim Burton no.
He is spent and devoid of ideas(sorry Edward!).

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 50
RE: RE: - 6/4/2012 2:53:22 AM   
Evil_Bob

quote:

Big Fish.Was very highly praised upon release, with comparisons to Ed Wood. Its also based upon an original idea from Burton. 76% RT.

Probably nobody will see this at this stage but nobody's pointed it out. Big Fish is not based upon an original idea from Burton its based on the Novel "Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions" by Daniel Wallace

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 51
RE: RE: - 6/4/2012 3:38:12 AM   
Phubbs

I WANT THIS TO HAPPEN NOOOOOOW!!!!

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 52
RE: RE: - 6/4/2012 7:15:16 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

It's only nineteen years old - they'll be remaking lotr at this rate!!

Well, its not really a remake of the previous movies, its just based on the same source material.
If the look of it replicates the original cartoons, and someone else is writing it, it might not be just Burton's usual thing.
I just hope they don't think they have to put song and dance numbers in it just because its animated.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 53
RE: Tim Burton Making The Addams Family? - 7/4/2012 5:08:09 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Bloody shame what this guy's career has devolved into. It's so easy to dismiss him as a hack who's latched himself on to a marketable aesthetic, and yet he is someone responsible for some of my all time favorite movies. Sad to see it come to this.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 54
RE: RE: - 10/4/2012 11:08:38 AM   
Discodez

and Dez gave a big yawn and settled down to sleep......

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 55
RE: Tim Burton Making The Addams Family? - 10/4/2012 4:20:02 PM   
Spaldron

So it looks like Burton's Addams Family clearly isn't happening, considering the age of this thread and that he's now bringing out Dark Shadows which by the looks of it is just a third rate Addams Family knock-off with Johnny Depp as Fester. The truth is Burton has just become a pastiche of himself, churning out the same old identikit, kooky, goth-lite waffle.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI