Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The House of the Devil Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The House of the Devil - 16/3/2010 4:53:49 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
one part masterpiece one part direct to dvd arse - 16/3/2010 4:53:49 PM  1 votes
fightclubber

This film is stunning in its recreation of the 80s era from the tone music and look of the film, if someone threw this film in my face and said its a forgotten gem from 1985 i would have no trouble believing them. Its just a complete shame that after at least 60 mins of build up that the film trips over its own arse.
For the 1st hour you spend the film un nerved creeped out and slowly soaking up the atmosphere that this film drips in only for it to shit on itself and complelty and utterly rush the last 20 mins of the film.

To worsen that, for some reason the last part of the film looks like it was shot on some shitty DV cam which completely undermines the authentic 80s look of the rest of the film.

Painful to see it come to such a shitty clunky rushed ending seeing that the rest of the film looks like it was in no rush at all.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The House of the Devil - 18/3/2010 6:25:14 AM   
sarkark21

Horrible.........horible

http://indian-bollywood-masala.blogspot.com/

Post #: 3
A great reminder of the vintage days of horror - 19/3/2010 2:20:57 PM  1 votes
hellboyx

As Ebert said "its not the payoff but the build up to that payoff that truly scares" and in the case of House of the Devil this couldnt be more true, the whole recreation of the 80's is alarming well done to the point you could almost believe this was locked in a studio's cupboard and only just brought to light. Everything in this film is coated in refferences to masters such as Hitchcock and John Carpenter, offering up some truly impressive work from the up and coming Ti West, who will no doubt get swallowed up by Hollywood now. True horror fans will love this movie, but i will be honest and say to a mass audience... they may just not get what is so special with all of todays splatterhouse approach to the genre.

Post #: 4
- 20/3/2010 7:43:38 PM   
markasmarv

Some very mild tension quickly leads to outright boredom. A load of shit. I can't believe this got 4 stars.

Post #: 5
Everytime - 21/3/2010 7:34:31 PM   
7eke

Your review is made up of the plot summary and the verdict...idiot

Post #: 6
- 24/3/2010 3:29:55 PM   
Youshouldberunning

Kim Newman is not an idiot. Fact.

Post #: 7
House of the Devil - 4/4/2010 10:18:07 AM   
krisjcummins

This is not a 5 star movie, but it certainly is not a 2 star movie. I would agree that it deserves 4 stars but with the awful ratings/reviews people are giving this wonderful little film I thought I should try and crank it up a bit. For a start, this is a slow burning horror movie, so people may not have the patience or tolerance to wait so long for the payoff. And even then, viewers are often dissapointed with the payoff. Why? I personally thought the climax was wonderful. Maybe I gave this movie 5 stars, not just because it was getting treated like shit on someone's shoe round here, but also due to the fact that it excels in recreating the 80s horror movie. Furthermore, comparing "The House of the Devil" to many other crap horror movies from the past decade and it's either strikingly different or simply better. These are old-school horror tricks, but they aren't cliches. It's an excellent horror movie...stop picking on it.

Post #: 8
Rubbish, Not Scary Or Suspensful. - 1/5/2010 9:35:58 AM   
joanna likes films

At first, I was looking foward to watch this on DVD. A 80s style horror movie? I'm intrested. With great reviews on the box, I knew I was ready for a ride. Boy, was I wrong. Nothing really happens within the first hour, then when the suspensful stuff kicks in it's rushed to a ending that got on my nerves. I must admit, the 80s era is very well done here. But why wasn't I unnerved? Sure, other people will like this movie while others are like me that found it rubbish. Pefomances from the unknown cast were so-so, didn't really believe in or felt for their characters. All in all, a rubbish movie that wasn't scary or suspensful.

Post #: 9
A great little slow burner! - 26/7/2010 8:57:11 PM   
dannyfletch

If your idea of a good horror is a gore soaked splat fest along the lines of Jason or Freddy then steer clear of this slow burner. For me it was a very well made horror in that had the feel of a late 70's early 80's cult classic. It wasn't perfect and it could've done with being an extra 20 mins longer as the ending did feel slightly rushed, but for what it was I enjoyed it. Atmospheric and creepy stuff!

Post #: 10
A great little slow burner! - 26/7/2010 8:57:12 PM   
dannyfletch

If your idea of a good horror is a gore soaked splat fest along the lines of Jason or Freddy then steer clear of this slow burner. For me it was a very well made horror in that had the feel of a late 70's early 80's cult classic. It wasn't perfect and it could've done with being an extra 20 mins longer as the ending did feel slightly rushed, but for what it was I enjoyed it. Atmospheric and creepy stuff!

Post #: 11
Amazing build up let down drastically by a unsatisfying... - 30/8/2010 11:52:24 PM   
Ziggy Played Guitar

The film has a distinctive 80's style to it, it's hard to explain but it prevents it's self from jumping the band wagon of recent horrors. For that it definitely gains my respect. And also, what makes a horror scary in my opinion is not the visuals, to a lesser extent even the storyline, but the built up tension. And sometimes it can be built up perfectly, to the point where next to nothing can go on, and it still keeps you enthralled, as is the case here. Unfortunately, if the quality of the actual climax doesn't match the level of tension that has been built, it pretty much destroys all appreciation you had of the slow burning intensity. Again, as is the case here. In simpler terms, it doesn't feel like all that waiting, all that atmospheric terrifying build up feels like it wasn't worth it. Luckily, we have 3/4's of the film being this build up, so it does make for crucial viewing. But the ending, although somewhat shocking and tries to keep us on the edge with a (stupid) twist, drags the films rating down a whole lot. I guess the feeling of not knowing whats going on in the three quarters of the film, feeling like the movie is keeping so many secrets from you is exciting, but then finding them out is a disappointment. The chase is better than the catch is a perfect way to describe it. But this is without a doubt on of the better horrors of the last decade, and a breath of fresh air. If a 3 and half star was allowed, I wouldn't hesitate to give it/

Post #: 12
RE: Amazing build up let down drastically by a unsatisf... - 2/5/2011 11:58:21 PM   
KeithM

The House of the Devil

A slow burn horror in the classic late 70s/early 80s style - perfectly evoked in the settings, costumes and themes in the film - a babysitter takes a job with an odd couple and slowly discovers that they harbour a sinister secret - they intend to sacrifice her to their satanic lord! (it's ok - we learn this long before she does...)

It may seem slow initially in comparison to most modern horror films, but the cast and crew do a brilliant job of harking back to the halcyon days of horror and manage to keep things tense throughout without over-relying on gore or jump shocks. Great performance from Jocelin Donahue as the babysitter, who spends long periods of time on screen alone and manages to hold our attention even when not a lot is happening. A pretty good homage to the period of horror it draws on, only slightly marred by a somewhat rushed third act. Well worth a watch if you're not cursed with a short attention span.

7/10

< Message edited by KeithM -- 4/5/2011 12:24:39 AM >

(in reply to Ziggy Played Guitar)
Post #: 13
Great 70's homage - 8/7/2012 4:34:45 PM   
Caster

Kids won't get it but anyone over 25 will love this slow burner homage to 70's slasher films.

Post #: 14
RE: Great 70's homage - 3/9/2012 4:34:28 PM   
Coyleone

I thought this was brilliant. A great throwback to early horror films, and in a lot of cases, I think this is actually better than a lot of the films it pays tribute to. I hate the majority of horror films (American horror films to be more precise), but this was just a lot of fun, and the lead up to the final act is so well executed and builds the tension and suspense up using old school techniques without relying on gore or a ton of jump shocks. This is what the horror genre needs imo, and while the final act was a tad ridiculous, I really liked it all thanks to the build up, and the scene that preceded it was genuinely scary. I can't remember the last time I was scared watching a film. I loved the end too. Great stuff, and anyone who appreciates good horror will love this.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The House of the Devil Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI