Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 17/9/2012 10:30:21 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Glad to see this coming back again, though glad that Jimmy character is out, he never looked like a real gangster did he?

Hope to see more of Manny too this series, a good addition to the line-up.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 181
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 18/9/2012 11:44:37 AM   
Timon

Awwww. Not Manny. I liked Manny.

Still, here's hoping Richard uses those skills on a certain red-headed she-devil!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 182
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 18/9/2012 12:04:44 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Awwww. Not Manny. I liked Manny.

Still, here's hoping Richard uses those skills on a certain red-headed she-devil!

And soon, before she starts fucking her grandson. What was the deal with her signing cheques with Jimmy's name? Has he not been declared legally dead yet?

Aw Manny, it won't be the same without my favourite Jewish psychopath . His death was totally telegraphed though, his last moments with his wife may as well have been him showing his squadmates a picture of his "gal back home". I didn't expect Richard to shoot him in the face though, I expected his hit to go wrong or something.

Interesting to see where the story with Al Capone goes, I can't see Van Arden being enough to stop Capone tearing that North side gangster (can't remember his name) a new arsehole and probably starting a turf war. Also, Gyp Rosetti looks like a decent addition to the roster of psychopaths. I look forward to a possible future confrontation between him and Luciano/Rothstein/Lansky.

Glad to have this back.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 18/9/2012 12:07:16 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 183
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 18/9/2012 6:37:44 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Glad to see this coming back again, though glad that Jimmy character is out, he never looked like a real gangster did he?

Hope to see more of Manny too this series, a good addition to the line-up.

You know I'm right!

Post #: 184
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 11/10/2012 5:00:42 AM   
Deviation

Why did I not know this started?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 185
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 11/10/2012 6:47:41 PM   
Rinc

quote:

I agree. He didn't ever seem like a hardman and Owen is much more convincing as Nucky's right hand man.

I've watched the first two episodes of S3 and it's brilliant so far.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 186
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 11/10/2012 6:56:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I watched Season 1 (again) while I was on holiday. I enjoyed it more than the first time around. I think because I knew not a lot was going to happen, so I could enjoy the journey more than the destination.

I've a couple of nights away on business next week, so I might get started with Season 2. And then be in a position to join Season 3 mid-way thru.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 187
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 11/10/2012 7:00:17 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'm completely up to date so far and I'm enjoying it massively. It helps that they've made Margaret a more interesting character this season which is pretty important for someone who gets so much screen time. It also helps that Gyp Rosetti is a fucking tour de force of a character. I'm pretty much constantly on edge whenever he's on screen, half expecting him to start stoving someone's head in because of some innocuous comment they've made.

I'm really enjoying where this season is going but I can't help but feel 2 things.

Rothstein would have stepped up and done something to make sure he received his booze by now.

Nucky needs to give Richard Harrow a job.

Oh and I choked up on at least 2 occasions last episode during scenes with Capone and his son. Stephen Graham's been going from strength to strength in this after a rocky first few episodes.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 11/10/2012 7:24:29 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 188
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 12/10/2012 4:54:03 AM   
Deviation

The dream sequence compared to the one in the previous seasons is quite weak. I'm loving the rest.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 189
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 12/10/2012 6:57:15 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Rothstein would have stepped up and done something to make sure he received his booze by now.

Totally agree.

Nucky isn't technically a 'gangster', but Rothstein is and Rosetti would have been dead by now.

And Nucky should team Harrow, Eli and Owen up.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 190
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 18/10/2012 11:31:14 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Totally agree.

Nucky isn't technically a 'gangster', but Rothstein is and Rosetti would have been dead by now.

And Nucky should team Harrow, Eli and Owen up.

HERE BE SPOILERS

It seems Rothstein finally got his shit together and at least tried to take out asphyxi-wanker Rosetti. I think so anyway, the shooter was Mayer Lanski's guy right?

Seeing as Rosetti managed to survive the shooting, does anyone think Nucky and his associates are going to arrange for him to be the patsy that fills the role of the high profile bootlegger that gets busted by Shooter McGavin (Harry Daugherty)?

Anyway, Im really enjoying this season so far although the Van Alden side plot isn't doing much for me.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 191
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 18/10/2012 11:56:08 AM   
Qwerty Norris

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY.

Episode 4 was great (it's this exploration of Nucky's descent into full-time gangster that I'm finding most intriguing), the rest though hasn't really caught fire.

Margaret's story (whilst honourable in the depiction of attitudes to pregnancy in the 20s) is painfully bland for me at the moment. I will scream if they dare attempt to do a romance plot with the doctor. (although introducing his wife has given me fresh optimism that they'll stay away from that)

Rossetti's just another Italian mob psycho who I've seen a hundred times before & I'm just not interested in him. Not even a bit of erotic asphyxiation will change that.

And Van Alden's story is getting increasingly ridiculous. I can see what they're trying to do with him, but it's just not working.

Would like to see Harrow & Capone get a bit more involved (particularly the former).

It's still decent & beautifully shot television, but I expected a lot more.

Hopefully James Cromwell & the feds angle will add something it's lacking right now.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 192
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 18/10/2012 12:04:02 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY.

Margaret's story (whilst honourable in the depiction of attitudes to pregnancy in the 20s) is painfully bland for me at the moment. I will scream if they dare attempt to do a romance plot with the doctor. (although introducing his wife has given me fresh optimism that they'll stay away from that)

Agree with this much. Now that they've finally found something for Margaret to do I'll be dismayed if they go down that route. Like yourself, the introduction of the fiancee gave me hope that they won't. Here's hoping anyway.

quote:

Van Alden's story is getting increasingly ridiculous. I can see what they're trying to do with him, but it's just not working.

Agree with this as well. I think Van Alden is great character but for me they should have had him hook up with the flowershop mobster sooner, avoiding the whole speeakeasy and fed plotline altogether. Plus I don't really want to see him taking shit from a load of moron salesmen. The guy's a badass ffs.

quote:

Would like to see Harrow & Capone get a bit more involved (particularly the former).

I think we can all agree with this .

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 193
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 21/10/2012 7:58:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

A nice nod to the end of Taxi Driver at the end of the latest ep.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 194
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 1/11/2012 2:21:49 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Fantastic episode this week. Not much happening in it action wise but full of great little character moments. Nucky's juggling act was surprisingly funny and the moments between him and Eli were brilliantly done as, in fact, was the moment between Nucky and Margaret. Gyp Rosetti at home with the family was hilarious and it was nice to get so much Richard Harrow in one episode. Gillian creeps me the fuck out though. I was wise to her ploy in the last episode and knew her Jimmy look alike was brown bread but fuck me is she one messed up character.

I can't believe we're over half way through this series already, the final few episodes should be exciting although it's fairly obvious that taking on Nucky, Rothstein, Luciano and Lansky is going to be a bad mistake as far as Rosetti is concerned. I'm calling Eli as collateral damage in the inevitable war here and now, this episode just had a sort of last supper feel to it.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 195
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 7/11/2012 12:57:40 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Well, with that last episode - I had a blast.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 196
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 7/11/2012 2:16:04 PM   
homersimpson_esq

A few plot strands IRONED out there...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 197
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 8/11/2012 4:22:59 PM   
Harry Tuttle

That was a good episode. My only gripe would be that Van Alden's crazy Hurdy Gurdy wife got too much screen time and Al Capone barely got a look in. I'm starting to get bored of Margaret's story now (again) and her relationship with Owen Slater feels like a forced plot point. I can believe that they'd be friendly with each other due to their "Old Country" link but I'm not buying that Owen would risk his life for her. Otherwise I really enjoyed it.

I can't imagine Rosetti is long for this world after that.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 198
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 8/11/2012 5:19:53 PM   
Reidy

I really can't stand Margaret. Bores me to tears every time I see her on screen.

Post #: 199
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 8/11/2012 6:09:54 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reidy

I really can't stand Margaret. Bores me to tears every time I see her on screen.

At least her "woman troubles" storyline seems to have finally gathered a purpose. It has though taken an age to get there.

Still, despite my misgivings of the season, that episode at least felt like everything has clicked into gear.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 200
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 13/11/2012 12:23:37 PM   
Timon

I honestly don't know why Rothstein didn't back Nucky's plan to go after Rosetti and Joe? After all, they did try to blow him up as well...

I know he doesn't take things personally, but surely it makes good business sense to end the people who are trying to take you down.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 201
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 13/11/2012 2:00:59 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

I honestly don't know why Rothstein didn't back Nucky's plan to go after Rosetti and Joe? After all, they did try to blow him up as well...

I know he doesn't take things personally, but surely it makes good business sense to end the people who are trying to take you down.

Perhaps he senses that it's not wise to back a losing horse - which Nucky appears to be at the moment.

Good episode though, genuinely not sure exactly how this will pan out. The only thing I'm a little certain about is things will probably not end well for Margaret & Owen come the seasons end. Then again, perhaps they will live happily ever after?

Really pleased to see Harrow have an uplifting story for a change. It get the feeling though that Gillian's going to ruin it for him in the name of dramatic effect.

Is there definitely another season after this? A lot of what is going on at the moment feels like a journey towards definitive closure.

Then again, we are still 8 years away from the end of the volstead act.

And Mr. Capone's still got a lot of work to do.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 202
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 13/11/2012 5:59:52 PM   
Rinc

quote:

I agree. Perhaps they think Nucky was the target but surely not considering what a massive coincidence it happened when Nucky was dining with Rothstein.

I suspect Rothstein will go after Gyp and Masseria in his own time as Masseria is his big New York rival. I'm not sure it's because he doesn't want to back a losing horse, Rothstein has enough muscle along with the other guys to take him on, it's just he prefers everything to be on his terms. But Nucky's state of mind didn't help and if he'd only waited to hold the meeting so Torrio had been there things might have been different. Nucky isn't thinking straight though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 203
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 13/11/2012 6:56:43 PM   
Rgirvan44

Masseria is setting Gyp up for a fall I think. His chat at the beach was interesting, esp the line about men being loyal...but that is all.

I think Capone is going to play a role in all of this - Chicago didn't turn up - but he is being given ever greater power, and could see advantage in helping Nucky - perhaps making a deal over the new factory out West that Thompson has secured. Or maybe he offers Masseria a slice of the action.

Gyp is then isolated, and I expect Harrow to somehow be involved in taking out any of his gang - the man is a trained sniper.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 204
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 14/11/2012 1:24:20 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Masseria is setting Gyp up for a fall I think. His chat at the beach was interesting, esp the line about men being loyal...but that is all.

I think Capone is going to play a role in all of this - Chicago didn't turn up - but he is being given ever greater power, and could see advantage in helping Nucky - perhaps making a deal over the new factory out West that Thompson has secured. Or maybe he offers Masseria a slice of the action.

Gyp is then isolated, and I expect Harrow to somehow be involved in taking out any of his gang - the man is a trained sniper.

Agree with most of this.

I can definitely see Capone getting more involved. I know they've deviated quite a bit from the life of the real Nucky Johnson but in reality he was at least partly responsible, along with Johnny Torrio of setting up the National Crime Syndicate, of which Luciano, Lansky and Capone were a part. The last episode's meeting seemes to be a precursor to that. Of course, if they go for any kind of historical accuracy (which personally I don't give a damn aboout either way and to be honest seems to be moot now anyway) then Rothstein will be dead before it happens.

I think Harrow will be the one that ends Rosetti myself, possibly in return for Nucky arranging that he can run off with Jimmy's son and his new squeeze.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 14/11/2012 1:41:44 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 205
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 19/11/2012 7:32:47 PM   
Rinc

WOAH, SHIT!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 206
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 19/11/2012 9:58:35 PM   
Quint

Agreed. Did not see that coming at all.

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 207
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 19/11/2012 10:33:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

Looks like a new position has opened up for our boy Harrow to come in and kick ass!

Also Capone and Van Alden was great.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 208
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 20/11/2012 10:47:15 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Man I've always said Shannon is the most intense actor around today & after seeing him lose it with the Iron & the slightly demented twitchy grin at the end just goes to prove it!
Nobody does phsyco better.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 209
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 20/11/2012 11:21:29 AM   
Timon

It is time for Harrow to shine. I love that man. As long as he also puts two in Gillian...

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI