Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 6/12/2011 8:21:26 PM   
Timon

And I hope Harrow shoots Gillian in the face. Yes, she was a victim, but that is no excuse for her coldness to Angela, her general bitchiness and SLEEPING WITH HER SON.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 151
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 6/12/2011 8:52:59 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

That was...all so unexpected.

Not really.

quote:

And disturbing.

Definitely.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 152
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 7/12/2011 12:11:55 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

She fucked her son and is responsible for him setting down the path which will inevitably lead to his destruction.

And he fucked her. Yes, it's incredibly messed up of course. I suppose her son is the only one who ever loved her unconditionally (again, mention is made of her life being empty of any genuine, lasting affection/love); she just maybe, um, took that a bit too far. It all went a bit Bad Boy Bubby, didn't it?

And I'm sorry, but I don't accept that she is ultimately responsible for Jimmy's choices. He knows full well what he's doing. He's had plenty of opportunities to turn back or to do things differently; he's gone against her advice a couple of times too and it's only made things worse!

She's not helping either, of course

quote:

Add this to the coldness she displayed towards Angela's memory and there's a woman who'll get not a jot of sympathy from me. In a programme full of murderers, perverts and gansters she's the least sympathetic person on the show for me. She is as hot as hell though

You mean the woman who was cuckolding her son? Gee, can't think why she might not give a damn!

quote:

Having said that, I did cheer for her when she was slapping the Commodore about on his sick bed, the perverted old bastard.

That was a great scene. It's clear she's incredibly damaged and that was a rare moment of honesty from her!  I do think she's an interesting character with a lot of different aspects, they just maybe don't get touched upon as often as characters like Margaret (who I think is actually less sympathetic in a lot of ways!), Nucky and Van Alden.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 153
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 7/12/2011 10:19:09 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

She fucked her son and is responsible for him setting down the path which will inevitably lead to his destruction.

And he fucked her. Yes, it's incredibly messed up of course. I suppose her son is the only one who ever loved her unconditionally (again, mention is made of her life being empty of any genuine, lasting affection/love); she just maybe, um, took that a bit too far. It all went a bit Bad Boy Bubby, didn't it?

And I'm sorry, but I don't accept that she is ultimately responsible for Jimmy's choices. He knows full well what he's doing. He's had plenty of opportunities to turn back or to do things differently; he's gone against her advice a couple of times too and it's only made things worse!

If she hadn't turned up at Princeton I can forsee a very different future for Jimmy. She also made a bad call in convincing Jimmy to go ahead with the hit on Nucky. Just 2 things off the top of my head that would have had a negative impact on Jimmy's life.

quote:

quote:

Add this to the coldness she displayed towards Angela's memory and there's a woman who'll get not a jot of sympathy from me. In a programme full of murderers, perverts and gansters she's the least sympathetic person on the show for me. She is as hot as hell though

You mean the woman who was cuckolding her son? Gee, can't think why she might not give a damn!

The only person cuckolding Jimmy is her. Regardless of that it was the wife of his son and her grandson's mother, her body wasn't even cold yet.

quote:

quote:

Having said that, I did cheer for her when she was slapping the Commodore about on his sick bed, the perverted old bastard.

That was a great scene. It's clear she's incredibly damaged and that was a rare moment of honesty from her!  I do think she's an interesting character with a lot of different aspects, they just maybe don't get touched upon as often as characters like Margaret (who I think is actually less sympathetic in a lot of ways!), Nucky and Van Alden.

I think she's a brilliant character, a loathsome one but brilliantly written and really well acted. Margaret is ultimately an idiot with a shrill voice, she's nowhere near as destructive a character as Gillian.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 154
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 7/12/2011 12:34:11 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle
If she hadn't turned up at Princeton I can forsee a very different future for Jimmy. She also made a bad call in convincing Jimmy to go ahead with the hit on Nucky. Just 2 things off the top of my head that would have had a negative impact on Jimmy's life.

That's debateable. I think Jimmy would have gone down a similar route anyway; he said as much in discussion with his teacher that he was going back to Atlantic City. I suppose the nature/nurture debate is at the heart of it really.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Add this to the coldness she displayed towards Angela's memory
and there's a woman who'll get not a jot of sympathy from me. In a programme full of murderers, perverts and gansters she's the least sympathetic person on the show for me. She is as hot as hell though

The only person cuckolding Jimmy is her. Regardless of that it was the wife of his son and her grandson's mother, her body wasn't even cold yet.

No, his wife was cheating on him (twice). And she was was killed while having an affair with a woman which, at that time, would be considered a very humiliating manner for someone with a reputation to establish/maintain, which is what Gillian's mission is. Gillian (correctly) saw her as a spanner in the works and wanted her gone. Obviously that's in her own self-interest moreso than Jimmy's but still, I see no reason for her to mourn for the girl.

No reason to be so mean to Harrow though. The bitch!

Post #: 155
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 7/12/2011 1:11:06 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Add this to the coldness she displayed towards Angela's memory
and there's a woman who'll get not a jot of sympathy from me. In a programme full of murderers, perverts and gansters she's the least sympathetic person on the show for me. She is as hot as hell though

No, his wife was cheating on him (twice). And she was was killed while having an affair with a woman which, at that time, would be considered a very humiliating manner for someone with a reputation to establish/maintain, which is what Gillian's mission is. Gillian (correctly) saw her as a spanner in the works and wanted her gone. Obviously that's in her own self-interest moreso than Jimmy's but still, I see no reason for her to mourn for the girl.

No reason to be so mean to Harrow though. The bitch!

Not mourning her and being as cold as she was are 2 completely different things IMO. Not mourning is one thing, stating that her son will have forgotten all about her soon enough is another. And how humiliating would it have been for Jimmy to have his mum fucking Lucky Luciano in series 1? Granted she did double cross him but Lucky now has the old "I fucked your Mom" thing over Jimmy.

I hope Harrow shoots her in the face.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 156
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/12/2011 2:22:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

One of the best hours of TV ever.

A truely stunning piece of work.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 157
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/12/2011 4:59:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

The reaction elsewhere is hilarious!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 158
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/12/2011 10:26:11 PM   
Deviation

I'm quite surprised that people are taking such a reaction towards a character who signed his death penalty some 4 episodes ago.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 12/12/2011 11:12:58 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 159
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/12/2011 10:51:58 PM   
beebs_

Well... I knew he'd go. He knew he'd go. Shame he didn't take he's mother with him!

But, Margret... hahaha! Next season'll be interesting.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 160
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/12/2011 11:15:05 PM   
Deviation

Well, somebody needs to take care of his son. I'm quite interested on what's Harrow going to do, he's now lost two people he loved.

OH AND MANNY LIVES YES

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 161
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 12:44:55 AM   
furrybastard

That's got to be one of the best directed episodes of televison I've ever witnessed. Cinema is lacking something, not having Terence Winter making films.

Incredibly good. The opening scene was fantastic and the writing, acting and direction throughout were top-notch. That scene was truly brilliant and Pitt was excellent, simultaneously emotionless and yet still expressing empathy for Nucky. And that flashback really pushed home just how sad and tragic his life was.

Great interview here (Click) with Winter and Pitt.

Fuck Manny. HARROW LIVES!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 162
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 7:07:16 AM   
Timon

quote:

Great interview here (Click) with Winter and Pitt.

Fuck Manny. HARROW LIVES!

The comments for EW's finale review are terrifying.

It's the "Game of Thrones" shock reaction all over again - "I'm never watching the show EVER AGAIN!"

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 163
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 12:13:36 PM   
furrybastard

I like that the writers are as worried about how to contine the show without him as the viewers are.  They're like the polar opposite of The Walking Dead; willing to fix any perceived flaws within the show and never afraid to take the story where it needs to go, regardless of how hard it might make their jobs.

I also like how Winter admits it could have been a big mistake to have offed him!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 164
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 2:38:59 PM   
Deviation

Well Van Alden did go to live in Cicero, that must mean something and it still hasn't come to the reign of Al Capone.

I honestly wouldn't have minded if the series closed here, it's a beautiful end to end a Season and Jimmy's memory of the trenches was beautifully executed without falling into the over-melodramatic. Really though, Jimmy's Oedipal arc pretty much came a close with yesterday's episode. I have no idea what they were going to do with him.

Also, "I am not seeking forgiveness" is an amazing line.

quote:

It's the "Game of Thrones" shock reaction all over again - "I'm never watching the show EVER AGAIN!"

Only to see them back for the next Season.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 165
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 3:51:26 PM   
Harry Tuttle

That was amazing.

It was obvious that Jimmy was fucked from the last episode of season 1 let alone from when he ordered the hit on Nucky. I was starting to think that he may have been forgiven at one point, right until Nucky phoned him and told him he had Manny. I can just about live with Gillian still being alive seeing as Jimmy's son is now an orphan and needs someone to look after him but I hope the freaky bitch doesn't feature too prominently in season 3.

It's a bit annoying that Eli seems to have been forgiven though seeing as Nucky's hit actually was his idea. If anything he deserved to die more than Jimmy did, the bastard.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 166
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 4:05:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

It's a bit annoying that Eli seems to have been forgiven though seeing as Nucky's hit actually was his idea. If anything he deserved to die more than Jimmy did, the bastard.

I don't think Eli is forgiven. That shooting was a message to him as well.

Post #: 167
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 4:14:32 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

What I mean with forgiven is still alive .

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 168
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 4:26:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

For all that happened between them, blood is thicker than water.

Post #: 169
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 4:39:20 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why wasn't blood thicker than water when Eli wanted Nucky dead?

I don't buy the blood is thicker than water argument when it only runs one way. I think Eli is doomed.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 170
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 5:52:37 PM   
paul_ie86

Is everyone that Nucky said he would ruin dead now?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 171
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/12/2011 7:47:53 PM   
Reidy

Really powerful ending. A real 'Ooh you bastard' moment when it happened, though I look forward to seeing the fallout of this from now on.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 172
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 14/12/2011 12:23:29 AM   
galvatron

"I am not seeking forgiveness."

That was epic. What a great finale.

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 173
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 26/12/2011 8:15:16 PM   
big dawg

Na I thought he was going to hand Manny over to Jimmy. When Eli stepped out behind them though thats when it hit home. For all Kelly Macdonald gets the plaudits, Gillian (is it Gretchen Mol?) is far better portrayed. Thae whole thing between her and Jimmy was Shakespearean almost. Fantastic episode of tv

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 174
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 28/12/2011 11:58:23 PM   
Lang

The ending took me by surprise if i am honest...i thought maybe Jimmy and Nucky being close may have saved the lad but there's the bigger picture to look at...

As someone mentioned previous i can't to see what Harrow does....he's become my favourite character of the series

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 175
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 30/12/2011 10:21:39 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why wasn't blood thicker than water when Eli wanted Nucky dead?

I don't buy the blood is thicker than water argument when it only runs one way. I think Eli is doomed.

I hope he is the utter bastard. He had his chances and he pissed them away by being too proud. Now he is in an even worse position and he is going no where. Surely it would be quite easy to have him killed off in prison?

Post #: 176
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 30/12/2011 10:42:04 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

In regards to Jimmy sleeping with his mother. Yes he was obviously in control of his own actions. But there are clearly elements of his mother grooming him throughout his whole life. Throughout the show we've seen her clearly inappropriate behaviour and just how strange their relationship is. Which at the end of the day is backed up by her who has raised Jimmy to feel comfortable with her behaviour when he shouldn't. That includes how she interacts with Jimmy but also how she acts with other people in front of him. She constantly uses her sex appeal in front of Jimmy and I'm sure that's been the same since he was a child.

Post #: 177
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 17/9/2012 9:33:28 PM   
homersimpson_esq

SPOILERS FOR SEASON THREE OPENER
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
OK.

You've been warned.

FUCKING HELL, MANNY!

Yeah, that's my over-riding impression from the season opener.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 178
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 17/9/2012 9:46:07 PM   
Reidy

Pretty much my thoughts. Hoping to see Manny play a big part in this series, and then that. Great opening.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 179
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 - 17/9/2012 10:20:55 PM   
Saltire

Glad to see this coming back again, though glad that Jimmy character is out, he never looked like a real gangster did he?

Hope to see more of Manny too this series, a good addition to the line-up.

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI