Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 18/11/2010 2:13:39 PM   
Timon

It was a good episode, but there were a few 'coincidences'.

When did Jimmy's mother realise that her new lover was out to get her son and what were the Feds doing there when Jimmy was leading him out?

Still, it was an excellent episode and it's great to see Nucky has his minions everywhere, even in the FBI.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 91
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 18/11/2010 3:39:50 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

When did Jimmy's mother realise that her new lover was out to get her son and what were the Feds doing there when Jimmy was leading him out?

Was mentioned an episode or 2 back.  When Jimmy rang his mum he asked her to tell him about him.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 92
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 24/11/2010 8:02:02 PM   
kenada_woo

Loving this! Just keeps getting better and better - the writing, the direction, the acting...superb!

Think Michael Pitt has grown in the series and now looks and acts like a tough gangster not scared of anything - the last episode he really shone - the bit in Chalky's distilory is great Buscemi is superb as always.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 93
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 1/12/2010 12:23:27 AM   
Moffmyster

My new favourite show, brilliant first season - can't wait for the finale!

"....Now go home and get your f*ckin shinebox!"

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 94
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 5/12/2010 4:01:38 PM   
big dawg

Finale tonight...someone will die.

This has been great TV...a little slow in places but its took time to build characters up. Buscemi has excelled, Pitt has been excellent, Kelly Macdonald's accent has eventually worked, Van Alden is by far the most disturbing of all the characters. If this doesnt clean up at the awards then there is something wrong

Cant believe more folks havent been watching

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Moffmyster)
Post #: 95
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 6/12/2010 6:54:29 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Finale discussion starts here...

Well, that was awesome. Loving the dynamic between Mrs Shroeder and Nucky. That, for me, was the best plot strand for the whole series.

Roll on series 2.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 96
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 7/12/2010 8:16:19 PM   
big dawg

Yeah loved it also. I can see people being a bit underwhelmed by it in all honesty. It's slow as fuck at times, and there isnt that much action (though when there is it's very good). Loved the shades of Godfather with the despatching of D'allasio (?) brothers, loved Nucky opening up to Margaret about the death of his kid and loved Van Aldens face when Lucy Danzinger told him she was preggers .

As above, Roll on series 2...and more Richard Harrow hopefully

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 97
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 8/12/2010 2:01:53 PM   
beebs_

Van Alden... what a Mentalist!

I enjoyed the season. It is a bit slow at times but the tensions between certain characters (jimmy & he's wife, Nucky & he's brother, Van Alden & everyone!) Keeps me interested.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 98
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 8/12/2010 3:18:23 PM   
Giant Green Rabbit

I really enjoyed it. Baffled that some people thought it was slow - I thought that it was actually too fast. An awful lot happens in the season and indeed in each episode; it is generally more driven by plot developments than character developments.

The show is generally excellent - it's production values are unparalleled, the acting is uniformly excellent, the script is usually good and they've used history well to inform the plot development. However, I do have some criticisms - I think whilst Nucky and Margaret are wonderfully rounded characters and others who feature less are still well drawn (Rothstein, The Commodore, Lucy, Harrow to name a few), some are a little bit 2-D. Van Alden in particular lacks nuance and Jimmy's endless speeches about 'the war - you weren't there...' etc are a little bit cumbersome and not totally convincing. Nucky's brother is an interesting character who hasn't been explored in enough depth.

These are criticisms that would apply to most TV shows though - you can't do everything perfectly. It's just the kind of thing you notice after watching flawless character-driven drama such as Mad Men, the narrative of which, flows a bit better than Boardwalk Empire. There are tines during Boardwalk Empire that you see some of the strings being pulled by writers over the characters so that they perform their arcs through scenes which are slick, but through stages which are a leeetle bit stilted.

As I said though, it's still a must-see TV, the best thing HBO has shown since The Wire and the best new show I've seen since Mad Men.

Once there was a little bunny who had a little furry tail and a little shiny nose. But the electrodeath cloud of commerce strangled it and its foxhole was converted to a parking lot, a parking lot, a parking lot. Ample parking asphalted over bunny bones. Everyone everyone get in.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 99
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 8/12/2010 5:38:32 PM   
big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Giant Green Rabbit

I really enjoyed it. Baffled that some people thought it was slow - I thought that it was actually too fast. An awful lot happens in the season and indeed in each episode; it is generally more driven by plot developments than character developments.

The show is generally excellent - it's production values are unparalleled, the acting is uniformly excellent, the script is usually good and they've used history well to inform the plot development. However, I do have some criticisms - I think whilst Nucky and Margaret are wonderfully rounded characters and others who feature less are still well drawn (Rothstein, The Commodore, Lucy, Harrow to name a few), some are a little bit 2-D. Van Alden in particular lacks nuance and Jimmy's endless speeches about 'the war - you weren't there...' etc are a little bit cumbersome and not totally convincing. Nucky's brother is an interesting character who hasn't been explored in enough depth.

These are criticisms that would apply to most TV shows though - you can't do everything perfectly. It's just the kind of thing you notice after watching flawless character-driven drama such as Mad Men, the narrative of which, flows a bit better than Boardwalk Empire. There are tines during Boardwalk Empire that you see some of the strings being pulled by writers over the characters so that they perform their arcs through scenes which are slick, but through stages which are a leeetle bit stilted.

As I said though, it's still a must-see TV, the best thing HBO has shown since The Wire and the best new show I've seen since Mad Men.

really? I was talking about in terms of action...i think some people will be expecting The Untouchables crammed into an hour episode week after week! I too have thoroughly enjoyed it, and saying it was a bit slow wasn't a criticism from me. It needed to flesh out the characters. I do agree that there were maybe a few too many introduced and not explored as much. Nucky relationship with his brother (and father) was hinted at but the let down for me (let down is perhaps to strong) was Chalky White. I do expect we'll see a lot more of him next time round though.

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Giant Green Rabbit)
Post #: 100
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 8/12/2010 7:15:14 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg
really? I was talking about in terms of action...i think some people will be expecting The Untouchables crammed into an hour episode week after week! I too have thoroughly enjoyed it, and saying it was a bit slow wasn't a criticism from me. It needed to flesh out the characters. I do agree that there were maybe a few too many introduced and not explored as much. Nucky relationship with his brother (and father) was hinted at but the let down for me (let down is perhaps to strong) was Chalky White. I do expect we'll see a lot more of him next time round though.

"We'd definitely like to give more to Michael Kenneth Williams. Chalky was going to be a character we would only meet a little bit this season. That played out exactly as I intended, but he's just so great, I can't wait for his story to expand - and it will next season, quite a bit. But I kind of knew I'd feel that way as it was happening, but that character's arc was by design. It was almost more the appetizer than the entree, but now we'll have a lot more of him."

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 101
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 9/12/2010 10:40:16 PM   
TheGodfather

Finished watching the first season the day before yesterday, these are my thoughts on the first season:

Boardwalk Empire - Season 1
The potential that the pilot showed back in september fully comes to live.
As is the case with more HBO shows, in some episodes there doesn`t happen a lot at first sight but that is exactly what makes it so great: that concealed tension, the slowly and easy photography and the excellently fitting music in combination with the strong story lines.
Steve Buscemi is magnificent in his first true leading role as the corrupt Nucky Thompson.
All in all HBO has once again delivered a truly brilliant show. Bring on that box so that I can enjoy it all over again, highly anticipating the second season in the meantime.

9,0/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 102
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 21/1/2011 11:51:02 PM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Giant Green Rabbit

I agree, it wasn't slow, theres a lot of detail to get in hence the show has to move at a certain pace.

Nucky & Maggie are great characters & I like how they developed. Provided they don't cancel the show I can see the character arcs getting better and better in future seasons.

I found Mad Men turgid, especially the first two seasons where literally nothing happened. The third season was better
paced and had more stuff going on I have yet to watch S4, but I enjoyed ' Boardwalk Empire' a lot more.

I like how at the end of the final episode they were setting up stuff for season 2, Danziger & Van Alden, The scheming between The Commodore Jimmy, & Nuckys brother.

Heres to season 2.

(in reply to Giant Green Rabbit)
Post #: 103
RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) - 2/2/2011 3:21:15 PM   
sharkboy

Being a Virgin Media customer screwed over (yet again) by Sky, I decided to approach my American aunt for this show and have spent the last few nights catching up with it. 

After the credits rose on the last episode, I can honestly say that I haven't been as impressed by a show's first season since West Wing.  This is quality TV - high production values all round, and a storyline and cast second to none. The montage at the end has me positively salivating for Season 2!

It has a labrynthine plot and only 12 episodes per season in which to develop it, so it is inevitable there were some underused characters.  For my money, I can't wait to see more of Chalky and Richard Harrow in the next season - the latter in particular being a brilliantly complex character, one minute he's showing his reserved but gentle side with Mrs Schroder's kids, the next he's offering to slaughter the D'Allessios' mother, sisters and civilian brother just to flush them out.  And speaking of the Pennsylvanian psychos, their dispatch was something Coppola could have been proud of.

Another thing I love about the show is (like the West Wing) how quotable it is!

quote:

"There was a man once. I don't recall his name. Frequented the billiard palace downtown. He made a comfortable wagering whether or not he could swallow certain objects, billiard balls being a specialty. He'd take a ball, stick it in his gullet and regurgitate it. One day, I decided to challenge this man. Ten thousand dollars to do the trick with a billiard ball of my choosing. Now he knew I had seen him do this trick at least a dozen times so I can only surmise that he thought I was stupid. I laid out the cash and he swallowed the ball. It lodged in his throat and he choked to death right on the spot. What I knew and he didn't was that the billiard ball was one sixteenth of an inch larger than the other balls, just too large for him to swallow. Do you know what the moral of this tale is, Mr.Yale?"
"Don't eat a cue ball?"
"The moral of the story is: If I'd cause a stranger to choke to death for my own amusement, what do you think I'll do to you if you don't tell me who ordered you to kill Collisimo?"

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 104
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 27/6/2011 5:27:22 PM   
Timon

Season 2 trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB7uJWUpLqE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Jeffrey)
Post #: 105
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 28/9/2011 7:59:33 PM   
homersimpson_esq

SEASON TWO DISCUSSION STARTS HERE....................................................................

Cracking opener, gently leading us into the second season with a KKK-led massacre, and the arrest of Nucky.

As with last year, I'll be looking forward to this every week.

As a curious aside, interesting to realise this is set just 6-8 years after the time in which Downton Abbey is set...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 106
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 28/9/2011 8:04:08 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

As a curious aside, interesting to realise this is set just 6-8 years after the time in which Downton Abbey is set...

The crossover potential is huge.

Post #: 107
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 28/9/2011 8:05:02 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

The crossover potential is huge.

That's what she said.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 108
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 10/10/2011 12:08:33 PM   
Timon

Just catching up with all my stories and the opening to Season 2 was fantastic especially the takedown of the restaurant during the anniversary dinner.

God, I've missed this show.

Post #: 109
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 10/10/2011 1:18:38 PM   
paul_ie86

Didn't really get into last night's episode, apart from the last 10-15 minutes.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 10/10/2011 1:19:01 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 110
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/10/2011 12:04:22 PM   
Timon

Just watched the second episode and it's Stardust's Charlie Cox! I was wondering what had happened to him.

Also is it a new actor as the Commodore? I know he dyed his hair, but he looked completely different.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 111
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/10/2011 12:09:48 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Quite enjoyed episode 3 although I'm already bored with the pregnancy storyline. Was never keen on Lucy Danziger as a character in the first sseries though so maybe that's just me.

Really liking this series so far though. Got a feeling that Jimmy will turncoat on his father and side with Nucky by the end of the series. Poor Eli's been conned by the Commodore (who's decision it was to run another candidate for Sheriff) and as a result will probably get destroyed by his brother.

Very intriguing.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 112
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/10/2011 12:49:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

Eli is just dim witted, Nucky will give him something which makes him feel important and he will be back on side. Both him and Jimmy left because they felt dismissed by Nucky - it is an ego thing.

And whats the deal with Jimmy and his mother? Jimmy's wife keeps throwing them dirty looks.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 113
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/10/2011 3:28:32 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

And whats the deal with Jimmy and his mother? Jimmy's wife keeps throwing them dirty looks.

His wife was complaining in episode 1 that Jimmy's mother is too involved in their lives and making his decisions for him/undercutting her. I think she was telling her how to raise her kids as well at one point. They seem to be setting up a conflict for Jimmy as his wife supports Nucky and his mother favours his father (in spite of the rather terrible things he did to her!)

This season has been great so far. Much better paced than S1 and a lot more intriguing to boot. I find the Irish stuff quite interesting as well, especially the scenes between Margaret (from the south) and that new Irish guy from the north and the hint that there might be some animosity or a threat there. I've seen a few criticisms of MacDonald's accent as well but I think it's really rather good; the Kerry accent ain't the easiest and she pulls it off quite well.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 114
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/10/2011 4:14:28 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

His wife was complaining in episode 1 that Jimmy's mother is too involved in their lives and making his decisions for him/undercutting her. I think she was telling her how to raise her kids as well at one point. They seem to be setting up a conflict for Jimmy as his wife supports Nucky and his mother favours his father (in spite of the rather terrible things he did to her!)

This season has been great so far. Much better paced than S1 and a lot more intriguing to boot. I find the Irish stuff quite interesting as well, especially the scenes between Margaret (from the south) and that new Irish guy from the north and the hint that there might be some animosity or a threat there. I've seen a few criticisms of MacDonald's accent as well but I think it's really rather good; the Kerry accent ain't the easiest and she pulls it off quite well.

His mum is damaged goods for sure. The bit in episode 2 (I think) where she said she used to kiss little Jimmy's pee pee when she changed his nappy was a bit fucked up to say the least. I'm kinda having a hard time believing that Jimmy would resent Nucky more than the Commodore when it comes to his mother. That's why I'm fairly convinced Jimmy's going to do the right thing and turncoat on his dad.

Loved the scene between Owen Sleater and Richard Harrow. Got a feeling shit's gonna get real between them at some point.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 115
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/10/2011 4:28:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

Harlow and Slater teaming up with Capone - they would have taken everything over in like a day. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 116
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/10/2011 5:25:23 PM   
Sinatra

I thought it was a slow first episode... Jimmy will be back on side in no time at all me thinks...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 117
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 12/10/2011 6:19:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/hbo-renews-boardwalk-empire-for-season-3/

Yay!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 118
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 13/10/2011 12:41:36 PM   
theieuan

Boardwalk Empire Season One finally available to pre-order on Blu-Ray!

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 119
RE: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 - 14/10/2011 12:42:58 PM   
borstal

We on US speed here?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Martin Scorsese presents 'Boardwalk Empire' (HBO) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI