Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 31/5/2012 8:46:50 PM   
paulyboy

New Gears of War game on the way! - Click Me

That really didn't take long at all!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 301
RE: Gears Of War 3 - 2/6/2012 10:32:26 AM   
Chojin

Dreading to imagine what they will come up with for Seriously 4.0

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 302
RE: Gears Of War 3 - 2/6/2012 1:12:54 PM   
rich

Artwork

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-31-new-gears-of-war-confirmed

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 303
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 3/6/2012 10:00:47 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

New Gears of War game on the way! - Click Me

That really didn't take long at all!

I've a big fan of Gears ... but ... meh. Initial reaction is not of excitement. There were definitely threads of a new story in GoW 3. But honestly I was hoping for some substantial DLC to deal with some of the fallout. RAAM's shadow was a nice instalment but I would have preferred something that followed on from the main story.

SPOILERS

Possibly factions of humans fighting among each other once more with a dash of locust (they are meant to be wiped out completely after all) and finally some form a peace ... followed by some stupid twist ending showing some new possible threat emerging for a new game. Cliché but would allow the series to go in a new direction. Same world new threats. Given most of Sera is in ruins too would be a chance to give it a over haul. I dunno.

Plus I thought Bulletstorm was good but possibly rushed out as filler for Gears of War 3. I would have liked to see that expanded upon.

Well just like Halo 4 I'll be dusting off the current game before I even think about jumping ship. Too many bloody games as it is. Let alone dealing with trilogies who can't call it quits.

Yep this sounds all negative but it's not that I never want to play Gears etc again just would rather have had something new for now.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 3/6/2012 10:01:16 AM >

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 304
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 10/3/2013 11:01:47 PM   
KnightofZyryab

So is anyone getting this? I had it on pre-order until tonight when I decided to cancel it after watching multiple videos of the multiplayer gameplay and being deeply unimpressed by the new changes. I'm sure the campaign will be great (although I've never liked Baird as a character - just thought he was a cocky sarcastic prick) since that's been the defining feature of the Gears series, but in terms of replayability I'm a fairly prolific MP player and play Gears 3 regularly online, which I intended to continue with Judgement. However, there's been a lot of pre-release negativity over some fairly substantial changes to the multiplayer which might seem superficial to some time players but to long time Gears players is a real kick in the teeth.

Essentially what looks like has happened is the MP has been dumbed down even further and been made easier for players of the COD ilk, and I mean that as pejoratively as possible. With the removal of the down but not out mechanic it's now easier to just sit back and hit everything with a long range weapon or the newly introduced automatic sniper rifle and get instant kills without any effort. Whereas Gears MP was previously based on close quarters gnasher shotgun face offs which required actual skill and timing, you can cut players down easily with overpowered middle distance weapons. Added to that, the detested sawed off is back and this time you get two shots with it (although to be fair I think it's a power up weapon on some modes). They've also removed perfect active reloads and the locust as enemy opposition in the multiplayer so it's just the COG against each other, which doesn't make any fucking sense, even if the locust don't exist in the pre-Gears 1-3 universe.

I may buy this when it drops in price, but they should have just left Gears alone after 3 in my opinion; Judgement appears to be a watered down Gears for the COD crowd and any uniqueness in gameplay it had has been dispensed just to beat more life out of the Gears cash cow.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 305
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 11/3/2013 9:11:37 AM   
Chief

In essence, you just described what happened to Halo 4.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 306
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 18/3/2013 2:00:36 PM   
paulyboy

Seems to be getting some decent reviews:

Destructoid - Clicky!
Eurogamer - Clicky!
Gametrailers - Clicky!
IGN - Clicky!
Joystiq - Clicky!
OXM - Clicky!

I'll probably pick this up after I've finished off Dead Space 3 and the Assassin's Creed III DLC.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 307
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 18/3/2013 2:34:11 PM   
sroey

They are indeed excellent reviews-  hmmm payday this week...shall I treat myself to this?

Very tempted now.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 308
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 23/3/2013 2:07:03 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I played the multiplayer demo and it's confirmed my suspicions of what they've done to the game. Essentially it's not Gears any more, resembling the previous games in franchise only. The new flagship multiplayer mode, Overrun, which combines the Horde and Beast modes of Gears 3 is fun, but ultimately a terrible overhaul of the multiplayer modes which made the previous games memorable.

First of all the class based system was a stupid idea and adds nothing to the gameplay, in fact restricting the openness of being able to switch your weapons up when you see fit. You're able to respawn between the 4 classes (Engineer, Soldier, Scout and Engineer) and I can see why they've done it so as to balance out the teams, but it's a change that goes against all of the previous games. I'm not against change per se, but the people saying class based play is a change up are talking BS because it's a staple of most FPSs these days; if anything it's a change down from the unique 3rd person gameplay of Gears. Added to that, with each class and in the other multiplayer modes you're now restricted to two weapons, and (forgive me for remarking on the trivial) I hate the way the quick weapon change mapping on the D pad has been replaced by pressing Y, like any other shooter out there.

Other things I didn't like were the noob friendly Markza automatic sniper rifle, which takes the art out of headshots. Whereas with previous Gears the longshot gave you one bullet to get a headshot, the Markza gives you about 8 and all you have to do is aim in the general direction of the target for a head evisceration, taking the skill out of sniping. Perfect active reloads are gone, so no damage boost for players who reload efficiently. And the crappy, arcade style powerup grenades that the different classes can fire out, including a stim grenade which picks your downed players up instantly (replacing the DBNO mechanic) is a fucking cheat that I can see myself getting infuriated by if I played this long term. As it stands, I doubt I could see myself playing this mode over and over again like I did KOTH on Gears 3 or Horde, for that matter - after a while attacking the same bloody fortifications and e-holes on the same maps (I've heard there are very few different maps until a DLC) it seems like it would get stale very fast.

Apologies for the rant, but I'm very glad I cancelled my pre-order of what looks to me like an example of a now toothless sellout after a great series of games from Epic.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 309
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 23/3/2013 4:05:00 PM   
directorscut

I'd say your points would be more valid if it was called Gears of War 4. But it isn't and this is clearly supposed to be a spin off, so changes from the standard formula are fair game in my opinion.

Of course if it's rubbish, it's rubbish, spin off or not.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 310
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 23/3/2013 6:03:24 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I'd say your points would be more valid if it was called Gears of War 4. But it isn't and this is clearly supposed to be a spin off, so changes from the standard formula are fair game in my opinion.

Of course if it's rubbish, it's rubbish, spin off or not.

Well that's what it comes down to in the end, regardless if it's a Gears game or not. But when the game is called Gears of War, whatever it's suffixed with doesn't make a jot of difference - there's a core of gamers, myself included, who have played all the games through 1 to 3 and expected something that developed upon the gameplay, not changed it radically for the worst. I'm not having a go at the licence to make changes to the game since it's implied by making a spin-off or a prequel that there will be, just that the developers would have a modicum of respect for the elements of what made the original games great. Instead they've gutted it, and isolated the veteran Gears players so that it's friendlier to your average gamer, and those who've been complaining all along about the shotgun heavy multiplayer etc.

I can't speak for the campaign having only watched videos of the gameplay, but a good campaign isn't justification alone for buying this on release.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 311
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 23/3/2013 6:24:13 PM   
paulyboy

Well I have to disagree with KnightifZyryab, but I should probably also clarify that I'm not a Gears "fan" in the strictest sense, I've played them all, I enjoy them the hell of a lot, but the multiplayer has probably never held my attention beyond a few months. I also wouldn't class myself as the greatest of players, Gnasher Shotgun duals are still an art that mostly evades me if I'm brutally honest, which means beyond the first few weeks of release, the hardcore contingent takes hold and I find the game quite hard to get a foot-hold in, mostly because MP revolves around that shotgun, if you haven't mastered it, you're fucked lets be honest.

With that in mind, I'm personally finding Over-Run on Judgement a hoot, I like the class based system they have in place, it really seems to inspire team-work, the medic and ammo classes are especially useful for backing up the engineers and scouts, but not overpowering, the Locust still pose a fairly significant threat because of the map design and classes they have at their disposal. The Gnasher also seems to have been tamed as far as I can tell, which I personally think is a good thing.

I like it, it's fun. But I'd probably be classed as a bit of a "noob" by most Gears MP fans, so make of that what you will.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 312
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 24/3/2013 6:34:20 PM   
the anomaly

I was a big fan of the "Beast mode" from the last game. "Over run" mode is an obvious step forward for it. I've tried the demo and enjoyed what was on offer.
No idea how all the other multiplayer modes hold up or how many of the new features they keep.

I'll pick this up at some point but as it has been noted it's not a revolution of the formula ... rather a diversion. Like tropical Lucazade ... it won't replace the original it's just different. You'll enjoy it from time to time ... even go through periods of preferring it. But it's not el classico.

quote:

With that in mind, I'm personally finding Over-Run on Judgement a hoot, I like the class based system they have in place, it really seems to inspire team-work, the medic and ammo classes are especially useful for backing up the engineers and scouts, but not overpowering, the Locust still pose a fairly significant threat because of the map design and classes they have at their disposal. The Gnasher also seems to have been tamed as far as I can tell, which I personally think is a good thing.

I'd agree that it inspires team work. As it's far more simple/intuitive than the previous horde mode. Not sure how balanced the classes are though. I'd have to see after more extensive play on various maps.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 24/3/2013 6:38:13 PM >

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 313
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 28/3/2013 4:34:35 PM   
jcthefirst

Hmmm, campaign is really a loose term to describe Judgement. It's more mini Horde battles strung together with cut scenes.

Going to start the MP tonight.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 314
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 8/4/2013 2:44:13 PM   
sroey

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Hmmm, campaign is really a loose term to describe Judgement. It's more mini Horde battles strung together with cut scenes.

Going to start the MP tonight.

Funnily enough after the first few levels I really started to enjoy the new format. Its gears but its absolutely bonkers! Played through a good chunk of the game last night single player then co-op and it was superb. Especially when the Berserkers showed up! Like you say it is basically horde mode with cinematics...

Quite impressed - although I have fears over how short it will be...looks stunning and shows how far the unreal engine can push the aging Xbox architecture. Its got some great colours on display for a Gears game too...

I hope its not a short campaign as I'll be annoyed I paid near full price for it...

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 315
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 8/4/2013 3:59:29 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

Funnily enough after the first few levels I really started to enjoy the new format. Its gears but its absolutely bonkers! Played through a good chunk of the game last night single player then co-op and it was superb. Especially when the Berserkers showed up! Like you say it is basically horde mode with cinematics...

I hope its not a short campaign as I'll be annoyed I paid near full price for it...

The bit with two berserkers? I'd say that's about two thirds in.

The Aftermath campaign (the one that takes place within the timeline of Gears 3) is pretty good, and quite lengthy as well.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 316
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 8/4/2013 4:07:13 PM   
sroey

Yup - the Seahorse Hills part under Padek's (sp?) section. Best levels by far...

Good to see a Berserker show up with a friend for some epic and frantic battles

Just unlocked Aftermath...

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 317
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 8/4/2013 4:16:07 PM   
jcthefirst

Aftermath sees the return of some bastard annoying enemies.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 318
RE: Gears Of War Judgement - 9/4/2013 8:07:40 PM   
paulyboy

I quite like the campaign, its simplicity is quite refreshing if I'm honest, it's just a solid, straight-forward shooter, no QTE's or scripted set-pieces, just a big ballsy Horde style shoot-em up.

Good fun on co-op too, quite tough as well.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 9/4/2013 8:08:58 PM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 319
RE: Gears Of War Judgement - 10/4/2013 8:43:00 AM   
sroey

quote:

I quite like the campaign, its simplicity is quite refreshing if I'm honest, it's just a solid, straight-forward shooter, no QTE's or scripted set-pieces, just a big ballsy Horde style shoot-em up.

Exactly this ^^

Finished it on Hardcore last night with my brother. Much more enjoyable playing through the declassified sections. Its one giant horde mode/campaign hybrid which trims away the fat. I found Aftermath to be fairly dull in comparison.

That said the AI is noticeably pretty poor on this - enemy and team...

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 320
RE: Gears Of War Judgement - 10/4/2013 1:40:55 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

quote:

Exactly this ^^

Finished it on Hardcore last night with my brother. Much more enjoyable playing through the declassified sections. Its one giant horde mode/campaign hybrid which trims away the fat. I found Aftermath to be fairly dull in comparison.

That said the AI is noticeably pretty poor on this - enemy and team...

I found the enemy AI to be a lot better in this, but friendlies are still awful. Standing right next to your downed self and just looking at you.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 321
RE: Gears Of War Judgement - 10/4/2013 2:27:36 PM   
paulyboy

Funnily enough the AI has been pretty decent at reviving me!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 322
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI