Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 6/12/2011 12:00:18 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

Im pretty sure you will hate and loathe Gears 3 by then 

Luckily I listen to a lot of radio shows each week so I just bung one of those on for two hours and boost away usually getting around 600-700 kills in a two hour session. I'm already hating it, but it's helping me save money on new games. This time next year i'll be able to play all the games I've wanted to play now but for no money at all. At the moment i'm putting in 1-2 hours each weeknight and then 5 or so hours each weekend.

I've started this and i'm going to finish it!

Am I the only person on Empire stupid enough to be going for it?

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 271
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 6/12/2011 1:33:11 PM   
Bumfluff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin
!

Am I the only person on Empire stupid enough to be going for it?

Quite possibly. I'm quietly plodding along with the social achievement each week whilst getting to level 50 but I have zero interest in that last one. Far too time consuming when I have the delights of Zelda sitting waiting to be devoured & with mass effect 3 on the horizon.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 272
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 6/12/2011 1:38:40 PM   
messiahtime

Gears Of War series is the best thing ever... End thread

Zurple is the new black and has always been!!!

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 273
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 8/12/2011 10:01:00 AM   
sroey

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/12/08/gears-of-war-3-a-look-at-raams-shadow

General RAAM looks like a badass! Decapitations ahoy!

(in reply to messiahtime)
Post #: 274
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 14/12/2011 7:49:42 AM   
Chojin

Anyone else get Ramms Shadow last night? I played through it in just under two hours and it was probably the best Gears DLC i've downloaded. It was substantial content not just some extra maps and skins. Quite fun with some good plot points and cut scenes.

....not a fan of the kim executions online though!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 275
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 14/12/2011 12:10:57 PM   
jcthefirst

Is it worth buying the Season Pass? I've come to the conclusion I'll buy all the DLC so may as well get it. How much of a saving are we talking?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 276
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 14/12/2011 5:48:53 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Is it worth buying the Season Pass? I've come to the conclusion I'll buy all the DLC so may as well get it. How much of a saving are we talking?

Buy 3 get one free......

It depends on whether you are after achievements. All of the maps from the first DLC are already available on public versus, the only thing you can't do is play them on horde/beast and you don't get the characters or single weapon skin. So the first DLC is really only necessary if you're an achievement hunter.

With this in mind it might be be better to just get the DLC that appeal to you as if a couple more map packs are released which eventually make their way into the public matchmaking for free anyway it could be a waste purchase.

I would say General Ramm is well worth the asking price if it's 800MSP.....plenty of content for your money. I was expecting 'two hours' to take me an hour but there was a lot more than I expected.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 277
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 14/12/2011 6:19:47 PM   
jcthefirst

It's 1200 points. Might just go the whole hog. 

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 278
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 15/12/2011 2:40:50 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

Buy 3 get one free......

It depends on whether you are after achievements. All of the maps from the first DLC are already available on public versus, the only thing you can't do is play them on horde/beast and you don't get the characters or single weapon skin. So the first DLC is really only necessary if you're an achievement hunter.

With this in mind it might be be better to just get the DLC that appeal to you as if a couple more map packs are released which eventually make their way into the public matchmaking for free anyway it could be a waste purchase.

I would say General Ramm is well worth the asking price if it's 800MSP.....plenty of content for your money. I was expecting 'two hours' to take me an hour but there was a lot more than I expected.

The saving is 33% I think officially.

Some of the map packs that were PDLC only are now available publicly but I'm expecting some more DLC. From what I read previously there would be a couple of map packs and a couple of story based ones. So I'd agree if you want story and it's 800 points you may as well get the whole pack for 1200. I think one more story PDLC is coming out at least please more maps packs?

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 279
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 15/12/2011 7:24:52 AM   
Chojin

I think it's really cheeky making the DLC maps public after a certain period of time has elapsed. They didn't mention this before I put the money down for the season pass.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 280
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 15/12/2011 9:22:48 AM   
sroey

Im quite looking forward to playing this DLC - looks good.

A couple of hours seems decent for campaign DLC too - I wont be able to download it until I am back from London tomorrow though

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 281
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 15/12/2011 11:05:37 AM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

quote:

Buy 3 get one free......

The saving is 33% I think officially.

Some of the map packs that were PDLC only are now available publicly but I'm expecting some more DLC. From what I read previously there would be a couple of map packs and a couple of story based ones. So I'd agree if you want story and it's 800 points you may as well get the whole pack for 1200. I think one more story PDLC is coming out at least please more maps packs?

No no, RAAM's Shadow alone is 1200. The Season Pass is 2400. But I'll still be making a significant saving with it. If the reamining three DLC's are 800 each it takes it up to 4400 for all of them. So the Season Pass is a great saving.

@Jonny_C85

Post #: 282
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 18/12/2011 8:43:11 AM   
Chojin

Managed to get my 10 Kim executions last night, took a bit of boosting with randoms but everyone's in the same boat and doesn't want to do it legit.

Just got my Mauler kills left and i've finished Ramms Shadow. Pretty easy set of achievements which was a welcome distration from my 100's of hours of weapon boosting!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 283
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 19/12/2011 9:23:47 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

Anyone else get Ramms Shadow last night? I played through it in just under two hours and it was probably the best Gears DLC i've downloaded. It was substantial content not just some extra maps and skins. Quite fun with some good plot points and cut scenes.

....not a fan of the kim executions online though!

Almost finished it and enjoying it a lot. The reviews were a bit harsh on the Raam sections which are pure fan service. Yes he is a demon. That's the point.

Saying that Joyous and I tried it on Insane for about 30 mins or more ... couldn't get past the first assault section. We've done every Gears on insane but it just took the piss. Every time we came close there would be some unavoidable death usually from a boomer or reaver that's barely on screen with a rocket comming out of no where. Constant instant deaths never downs. Finally I cracked and realised there is no achievement for doing it on any difficulty. So we went for Hardcore instead and it was fine.

What's wrong with the Kim executions? Are they cheap? Or doe she take ages to pull them off?

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 284
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 21/12/2011 11:16:08 AM   
Chojin

quote:

What's wrong with the Kim executions? Are they cheap? Or doe she take ages to pull them off?

I managed to get it by boosting anyway as luckily everyone wanted the achievement. It requires you to play as Ramm and execute someone playing as Kim 10 times. With the amount of characters you're really lucky if you find a Kim, and you're on locust and you're able to execute him. (Also has to be done in public matches...)

Just a bit of a shite achievement really as it requires random luck with the opposing team playing as Kim. I would have preferred execute a member of Zeta 100 times whilst playing as Ramm. At least that would have required skill rather than luck.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 285
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 21/12/2011 3:28:35 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

I managed to get it by boosting anyway as luckily everyone wanted the achievement. It requires you to play as Ramm and execute someone playing as Kim 10 times. With the amount of characters you're really lucky if you find a Kim, and you're on locust and you're able to execute him. (Also has to be done in public matches...)

Just a bit of a shite achievement really as it requires random luck with the opposing team playing as Kim. I would have preferred execute a member of Zeta 100 times whilst playing as Ramm. At least that would have required skill rather than luck.

Fair enough!

I've gone through it again with a mate and finished it. Joyous and I are right at the last boss fight. Overall great DLC I thought. The Raam sections are pure fan service but still it's cool to get an insight on locusts tactics etc and see things from their perspective. The story didn't take any huge risks but I enjoyed it without playing as the main gears cast. Hopefully we have more story DLC of this calibre.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 286
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 21/12/2011 3:39:52 PM   
Chojin

the next DLC has been announced, and it sounds a bit crap. I'm never really fussed about new maps and if they're going to have new characters at least make them female.....and hot.

quote:

Gears of War 3 Kicks off the New Year with “Fenix Rising”

On Jan. 17, the battle for Sera rages on as Microsoft and Epic mark the New Year with the release of “Fenix Rising,” the third major game add-on for the most critically-acclaimed shooter of 2011, “Gears of War 3.” Featuring five spectacular new multiplayer maps inspired by significant locales in the “Gears of War 3” campaign, “Fenix Rising” also introduces four new character skins and a new system that allows players to rank up through level 100 multiple times to unlock exclusive emblems and weapon skins.

With the purchase of the add-on, players who attain level 100 will have a choice to “Re-up” for another tour of duty to showcase their valor and dedication as elite “Gears of War” fans. Their experience and rank will be reset, but all other progression (including TrueSkill rating) will remain intact. Players can “Re-up” up to three times, earning a new rank icon color each time: Bronze (default level 100), Red, Green and Gold. Each “Re-up” level after Bronze also awards the player an exclusive, custom weapon skin that cannot be obtained by any other means:
Re-Up Plasma – Animated flowing plasma in gold.
Re-Up Omen – Shiny, red Omen.
Re-Up Electric – Animated, golden electric shocks.

Available on Xbox LIVE for 800 Microsoft Points or included as part of the “Gears of War 3” Season Pass, “Fenix Rising” expands the multiplayer battlefield with an arsenal of stunning maps that deliver endless hours of frenetic online action across Versus Multiplayer, Horde and Beast Mode:
Academy –The lineage of the Fenix family can be traced back along a distinguished line of military officers. Officer training at the Oracle Academy was simply the expected path for Marcus, and he had visited the grounds many times in expectation that he would walk the same path as his ancestors. But it was not to be, and Marcus broke with tradition to be with his best friends Dom and Carlos. Like any number of fine Seran traditions, the Academy is now lost to the invasion of the Locust Horde.
Anvil – The fortress of Anvegad was called Anvil Gate because its impenetrable walls were forged in the fires of war. Huge cannons sat atop battlements that guarded sprawling walls running the line of the UIR borders. Marcus went there to find Hoffman, and they both thought that Anvil Gate would offer protection from the incoming forces of Locust and Lambent. They were wrong, and little remains other than the ruined shell of a once mighty fortress.
Depths – The excessive opulence of Azura defied all normal reasoning. But Adam Fenix could see the cracks in the veneer of splendor from the moment he arrived at this underwater processing center. And all that beauty mattered not at all once he was held captive by the Locust. Out of options, he had to find a way to contact Marcus, and finally reveal the truths he’d been keeping to himself for all these many years.
Escalation – Haldane Hall has been the home of the Fenix family for countless generations. But the only history that matters to Marcus’s are his memories of warm summer evenings spent with his mother, Elain, relaxing in the estate’s gardens. Sadly, all the estate’s history and beauty was lost when the Locust destroyed it in an attempt to kidnap his father.
The Slab – Convicted for insubordination and treason, Marcus was incarcerated in Jacinto Maximum Security Prison. Known as “The Slab”, this prison is not a correctional facility – it’s a place where Sera’s worst offenders are locked up and forgotten. The inmates are brutal, parole is not an option, and the average life expectancy is about two years. But that was before the Locust showed up, and what couldn’t get worse, suddenly did. Now your life expectancy there is around 2 minutes.

Additionally, players who purchase “Fenix Rising” will gain access to the following character skins for use in Versus Multiplayer and Horde Mode (if COG):
COG:
Recruit Clayton – Clayton was born a Gear, grew up a Gear, and on the very day he became eligible, he signed himself up to become the capable, confident, and devoted Gear he’d always known he could be.
Thrashball Cole (Limited Edition) – The Cole Train prefers to take the most direct path to the Locust Horde in any situation. What he lacks in finesse, he makes up in raw energy.
Locust:
Savage Marauder – Locust Marauders were the first to form any sort of organization outside of the Hollow – if their brutal infighting and bloodthirsty raiding parties could truly be called organized.
Savage Kantus (Limited Edition) – The Savage Kantus were profoundly impacted by the loss of the Hollow. They have reverted to a primal, shamanistic state, and their battle cries have taken a dark, melancholy turn. Few sounds are as terrifying to human ears.

Players can obtain “Fenix Rising” and all the previously released add-on content for “Gears of War 3,” including “RAAM’s Shadow” and the “Horde Command Pack,” and secure access to one more upcoming game add-on by purchasing the “Gears of War 3” Season Pass for 2400 Microsoft Points, which entitles them to the first four game add-ons for a total discount of 33 percent.

Source: http://epicgames.com/community/category/gears-of-war/

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 287
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 30/12/2011 11:35:41 AM   
the anomaly

Todays deal of the day is Gears of War 3 DLC including the season pass at a reduced price.

I can't complain as I feel I've played the content enough. I've been off work and had time to play. If I just bought it now sure I would have saved a bit of money but I'm back to work next week.

Regarding DLC I think it will be another map pack one after this and then finally fingers crossed another story one. Raams Shadow was great stuff so really hoping for one more.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 30/12/2011 11:36:51 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 288
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 30/12/2011 11:53:16 AM   
jcthefirst

How much is it now? Last I checked it was 2400 MS points.

@Jonny_C85

Post #: 289
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 30/12/2011 4:47:46 PM   
Chojin

bollocks, I should have waited.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 290
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 31/12/2011 6:28:47 PM   
jcthefirst

1800 points so I snapped that bad boy up.

RAAM's Shadow is pretty fun.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 291
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 5/1/2012 1:34:56 PM   
gingerdaniel

ARGH WHY IS INSANE SO INSANE!?

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 292
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 7/1/2012 2:36:21 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I've been playing this over the last couple of weeks and having completed it I have to say it was a top quality round up of the series. Dom's death was really sad and the way they handled it with the explosions and music was nicely done. I found myself stomping and chainsawing more Locust after that

To be honest all three games in the series were pretty similar but the formula is so damn good it doesn't matter - just loads of wicked firefights strung together. The submarine bit added some variety though.

The area for the final battle was great, getting away from the normal destroyed city environments and staging it in a palace/ island with all the nice architecture was a good idea.

It was quite brutal the way Marcus stabbed the queen at the end but she had it coming so fair play. Plus it was very satisfying to see the locust finally get wiped out by his dad's weapon. By the way was it ever explained why the locust queen was human?

Really sad that this series is over - it's an end of an era.

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 293
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 7/1/2012 11:15:50 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Do you really believe that?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 294
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 8/1/2012 3:05:07 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

I do actually - I think the game has run it's course and it would be flogging a dead horse ressurecting the Locust. Maybe another enemy in the same universe but I can't see it happening personally.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 295
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 8/1/2012 5:31:44 PM   
Chojin

I think an emergence day/pendulum wars prequel would be quite feasible

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 296
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 8/1/2012 5:47:51 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

I think an emergence day/pendulum wars prequel would be quite feasible

Actually you could be right there

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 297
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 8/1/2012 6:00:23 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

I do actually - I think the game has run it's course and it would be flogging a dead horse ressurecting the Locust. Maybe another enemy in the same universe but I can't see it happening personally.

It's Microsoft's second biggest franchise. GOW2 sold over 6 million copies. GOW3 is currently over 5 million. There is no way in hell MS are going to let a console seller like that go.

I bet there's a Gears game within two years of the new XBOX's launch.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 298
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 9/1/2012 11:56:47 AM   
Invader_Ace

The buzz is People Can Fly are already on with the Prequel Trilogy.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 299
RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 - 9/1/2012 4:04:05 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Outstanding!!!! I'd actually bring in new characters though - our favourite apes got a bit boring after a while. The one problem could be weapons, if we're going back in time then they can't be more advanced can they? One way round that could be to have energy weapons that COGs used to use but as the war progressed and resources became scarce they could no longer build them. 

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Gears of war 3 - April 2011 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI