Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Justified - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Justified - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Justified - US Speed - 15/3/2010 12:43:08 PM   
Captain Black

If like me you decide what to watch based on the quality of the leading character's hat, then this could be the show for you:

I've seen an even better poster for it than that, but couldn't find it on short noticed.

Press blurb:

FXs original drama Justified (formerly known as Lawman) premieres this Tuesday at 10pm.  Based on a popular character, Ralylan Givens, from an Elmore Leonard short story, the show focuses on U.S. Marshal in Kentucky payed by Timothy Olyphant.

Not many in total, but the reviews are pretty strong so far. I think Walton Goggins from The Shield is in the supporting cast too.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]
Post #: 1
RE: Justified - US Speed - 17/3/2010 9:28:25 PM   
Captain Black

Really good pilot. Does a fine job of introducing all of the characters (the supporting cast aren't given much to do, but what they do has impact), setting up the worldand still has time for a really strong A-plot. It's a tough balance, but the extra 10 minutes or so really helped. Olyphant is perfect for this; playing a variation on Seth Bullock, his Raylan Givens is all swagger, surface cool and self-confidence. That leads me to the biggest surprise of the series (possibly a weakness, time will tell): everyone's so confident and capable, there's no danger at all, so despite the potentially dark subject matter, it's a pretty light show. But by the same token, that's one of the reasons it was such good fun to watch - good characters often doing badass things, nice dialogue, brisk storytelling.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 2
RE: Justified - US Speed - 18/3/2010 8:20:17 AM   
Felix

Thats the kind of hat I look for in my TV shows, so I'm in.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 3
RE: Justified - US Speed - 18/3/2010 9:05:27 PM   
Felix

Watched the first episode, its really good. Interesting to see where it goes from here. Timothy Elephant is brilliant as the ice cold Marshall.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 4
RE: Justified - US Speed - 19/3/2010 3:52:55 PM   
Jeffrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black
I've seen an even better poster for it than that, but couldn't find it on short noticed.

Is this it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix
Watched the first episode, its really good. Interesting to see where it goes from here. Timothy Elephant is brilliant as the ice cold Marshall.

LOL
I prefer Kevin Smith's naickname for him - Oly-fantastic.

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 5
RE: Justified - US Speed - 19/3/2010 9:55:30 PM   
elab49

I enjoyed the first epi too. Not outright brilliant - the female characters didn't work but Olyphant, his new boss and Coggins were all very good. It didn't really feel like Leonard to me, though (even with one of the many dim Crowe relatives turning up!). I know the character from Pronto - I think the terrible film version played him a little too light, though. But this seems to have gotten rid of any sense of his normal humour almost entirely. Probably on purpose - so it might help if I don't think Leonard while watching and lose that expectation.

Best Leonard TV show is still IMO Maximum Bob (not that there is a lot to choose from!).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Jeffrey)
Post #: 6
RE: Justified - US Speed - 19/3/2010 10:00:51 PM   
Captain Black

That's the poster, Jeffrey. How great is that? Best TV poster I think I've ever seen.

I hear that Five have got the rights over here, so it may crop up on Five US fairly soon.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Justified - US Speed - 20/3/2010 11:49:04 AM   
spark1

coming to fiveUSA soon.....

Post #: 8
RE: Justified - US Speed - 23/3/2010 8:56:56 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I enjoyed the first epi too. Not outright brilliant - the female characters didn't work but Olyphant, his new boss and Coggins were all very good. It didn't really feel like Leonard to me, though (even with one of the many dim Crowe relatives turning up!). I know the character from Pronto - I think the terrible film version played him a little too light, though. But this seems to have gotten rid of any sense of his normal humour almost entirely. Probably on purpose - so it might help if I don't think Leonard while watching and lose that expectation.

That's the nail on the head for me. I thought it was okay. I had to be reminded there that it was written by Leonard and I'd have expected more. To me it doesn't feel like there's anything here that's different from what I'm watching elsewhere, or anything that will make me remember to watch this.

I'm sure Olyphant is a nice guy and buys his mum a birthday card, but he's best known to me as the rock in Deadwood that enables the other characters to be more over the top and interesting. I was much more interested in seeing Shane from The Shield here.

I'm not sure where the tone was aiming, but it finished somewhere between Dark Blue and Human Target for me, a position that makes it quite middling in what its ambitions might be. I'll keep trying it, but I'm not blown away yet.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Justified - US Speed - 26/3/2010 8:24:08 AM   
Felix

Second episode wasnt bad, but its not really doing much different to lots of other shows out there. Each episode seems to work quite well in a self contained way, but I cant see where they're going to get a season long arc from to keep people interested.

The hat can only get you so far.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 10
RE: Justified - US Speed - 29/3/2010 11:39:49 AM   
Timon

Just got back from the US and their were posters and adverts for this everywhere. There was an massive one in Times Sq that caught my eye. Might check it out.

Plus I saw the biggest poster ever for The Pacific while i was in New York. Covered an entire side of a 10-storey building.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 11
RE: Justified - US Speed - 26/4/2010 3:43:27 PM   
spark1

'justified' on fiveUSA 10pm wed 5 may.

Post #: 12
RE: Justified - US Speed - 26/4/2010 4:11:20 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

'justified' on fiveUSA 10pm wed 5 may.

Awesome! Thanks for the information.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 13
RE: Justified - US Speed - 4/5/2010 10:40:32 AM   
sharkboy

Justified has been picked up for a second season by FX. Clicky!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 14
RE: Justified - US Speed - 20/5/2010 7:23:41 PM   
Acho

I've caught up on all the US speed episodes and I'm really enjoying the show. In many ways, it's as light as a feather, but no less enjoyable for that. Olyphant pretty much owned last night's episode - he's getting a bit cheekier and smirkier in the role, which plays nicely. He's also less about the hat now too. Walter Goggins has been more prominent of late as well, which is always good.

One thing with watching a bunch of episodes in a row, though, was that it felt like the Ava storyline was dropped for a bit, just to allow a diversion in the last episode. May not be as noticeable if you watched one a week, but it felt a bit inconsistent the way I watched them.

And I love spotting the cross-over actors: George Luz from Band of Brothers! Hoosier from The Pacific! Quality.

< Message edited by Acho -- 20/5/2010 7:24:43 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Justified - US Speed - 13/2/2011 12:50:32 PM   
Captain Black

Has anyone watched the start of S2? I like this show quite a bit but mainly in a 'mildly diverting, largely forget it after I've watched the episode' sort of way -- though the ending to S1 was top notch -- just wondered if there are any significant changes or if it's a similar pattern in terms of setting up a season long arc but starting off by being very episodic?

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 16
RE: Justified - US Speed - 24/2/2011 4:08:59 PM   
chocolategoat

Season 2 is going nicely sofar (just watched ep.3) I really like it how they seem to be building it up slowly. This season feels more like a continuing story, although there are also weekly plots that get wrapped up within each episode. Both Raylan and Boyd get a continuing storyline of their own and cross paths frequently. My only complaint is that the magnificent Margo Martindale wasn't in this episode!

Post #: 17
RE: Justified - US Speed - 25/2/2011 8:41:22 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

My favourite drama on TV. Yes, Raylan is a badass but he's fallible. At the start of Season 1, he looked invincible but as the season rolled on the writers showed that it was mainly a facade. He's one messed up man.

I'd disagree that it's a light show. It has a sense of humour, sure, but I find it pretty dark at times. There's just something tragic about the whole tihng.

Oh, and I just picked up Season 1 on DVD. Only 13 on Amazon Marketplace!

(in reply to chocolategoat)
Post #: 18
RE: Justified - US Speed - 5/5/2011 6:41:56 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Wow. Season 2 has just finished in the States, and what an episode it was. What a season it was, in fact.

Anyone else still keeping up?

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 19
RE: Justified - US Speed - 11/5/2011 8:42:31 PM   
chocolategoat

Yes, I've watched season 2 as well, it was very good. Can't wait til season 3! What am I going to do without my weekly Raylan, et al, fix?

Post #: 20
RE: Justified - US Speed - 12/8/2011 9:44:00 AM   
Mojo

Just finished Season 2, this is one of the best shows on TV. Everything has been put to one side whilst I've caught up with this. Olyphant is excellent as Raylan Givens, he's gotta be the next Clint Eastwood.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to chocolategoat)
Post #: 21
RE: Justified - US Speed - 16/1/2012 12:01:12 PM   
Mojo

Season 3 starts in the US tomorrow night. Anybody know when the UK air date is?

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 22
RE: Justified - US Speed - 18/1/2012 1:00:16 PM   
Mojo

Anybody watching this at US Speed? Season 3 started last night and it was a strong episode, Raylan Givens really is the coolest character on TV.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 23
RE: Justified - US Speed - 18/1/2012 5:21:51 PM   
Third Eye

The showdown with the Fletcher Nicks was fantastic. I'm going to try and keep up with the show this season because Season 3 has opened with a really strong episode.

The pitch-black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light.

And thus, the saga begins.....

Twitter: oli2033

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 24
RE: Justified - US Speed - 21/1/2012 10:49:25 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

What a show. Raylan's takedown with the tablecloth was a thing of beauty.

There's a gaping hole in the show with the loss of Margo Martindale, but hopefully Neal McDonough can help fill it. Apparently Mykelti Williamson is excellent as the other 'big bad'.

I'm most excited for Carla Gugino showing up. She's playing a US Marshal who is basically Karen Sisco - though they can't use her name due to legal issues.

(in reply to Third Eye)
Post #: 25
RE: Justified - US Speed - 21/1/2012 4:06:28 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Just finished up with the second season on DVD. I appreciated seeing Margo Martindale get her chance to shine. I've long thought she was aces, and so a role like this was a great opportunity for her to stretch her skills. Hopefully it leads to bigger and better things down the road. The show remains fun, if light. I hardly watch any TV these days, and while this isn't exactly an all time classic, it's diverting with some strong enough performances. Part of me is still pained to see Olyphant strutting around cow boy style as anyone other than Seth Bullock, as the wounds of DEADWOOD's early death still sting, but he's clearly having fun here and the show benefits from his easy charm

I have to say I found the writing leaves a bit to be desires at times. It seems to waffle between a heightened realism, and a more absurd sensibility. There seems to be a desire to portray these backwoods types with empathy and accuracy.. but then we get an episode about the chinese speaking "FURBI" robot, and all that kind of goes out the window

PS I also find myself wishing they'd go for a harder hitting portrayal of mining life, and the ecological realities of mountain top removal, but the show doesn't really seem interested in that kind of depth. Perhaps if it were on HBO it would be a different story, but for an FX production it's definitely not too shabby

Post #: 26
RE: Justified - US Speed - 26/1/2012 4:26:18 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

I'm most excited for Carla Gugino showing up. She's playing a US Marshal who is basically Karen Sisco - though they can't use her name due to legal issues.

They dodged the legal bullet quite well, giving her a new ex-husband and new last name. Another cracking episode, hopefully she'll return regularly as there's clearly some sexual tension between her and Raylan.

Post #: 27
RE: Justified - US Speed - 9/2/2012 10:02:44 PM   
galvatron

Great episodes lately. Where is Arlo if he's not with Boyd? I think that the season is going to end with someone getting shot at the hands of the dude with the gun up his sleeve! 

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 28
RE: Justified - US Speed - 21/3/2012 11:19:11 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Wow. This season has been a slow burn - a consistently excellent one - but as we enter the last few episodes things have been cranked up and Justified has reached new heights.

Quarles is a tremendous villain, and watching him unravel and become even more dangerous has been fantastic.

The other new addition to the season, Limehouse, hasn't fared as well. It's a good performance, but I wish he'd stop speaking in meat metaphors.

With just three episodes left, the pieces are set for all hell to break loose - Quarles, Limehouse, Dickies and Boyd are all set on a collision course with Raylan right in the centre. Masterful.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 29
RE: Justified - US Speed - 11/4/2012 3:05:38 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Spoilers for Season 3 finale:

Brilliant stuff, as usual. I though the scene with Raylan and Wynn was maybe the best thing Justified's ever done. Jere Burns is superb, hope he features again and isn't carted off to jail. Think Wynn was this season's MVP, loved seeing him lose his cool as Quarles' true nature was revealed.

Really downbeat ending with Raylan realising Arlo believed he could have been killing his own son to save Boyd. Arlo's been willing to give Raylan up before, but that was more to save himself. To actually carry out the deed to save someone else? That's different.

Quarles being 'disarmed' was truly shocking. Had been waiting for Raylan to be on the receiving end of the railgun and it was a nice payoff with Limehouse's cleaver finally coming into play.

Can't wait for Season 4 - Raylan alone, Boyd and Ava stronger than ever, Johnny plotting something and Limehouse lurking in the shadows.

Read an interview with creator Graham Yost and he says next season they're considering doing three arcs lasting four episodes rather than one larger arc. I prefer the slow build of the latter, but I think they'd make the smaller arcs work.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Justified - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI