Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 31/3/2010 11:11:29 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Its also a FACT that thats not a ratio, its a percentage.

So you really meant that roughly 4 in 10 people didnt like it.

Hold on. I thought it was approximately two-fifths of people did like it...

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 31/3/2010 11:13:40 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 211
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 31/3/2010 11:12:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

You people, with your FACTS.

Film snobs the lot of you!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 212
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 31/3/2010 11:44:10 PM   
adambatman82

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 213
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 12:01:02 AM   
Rgirvan44

I need that meme to be more striking. Can you redo it in 3D?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 214
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 2:52:25 AM   
Deviation

quote:

I've let it go mate - you really should too.

This is by far the best thing you've said since you've joined.

And when will work on 4D start? 3D already feels like 2D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 215
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 8:45:51 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I demand a relaunch of Smell-O-Vision first!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 216
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 8:50:54 AM   
Tech_Noir

I like 3D.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 217
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 9:02:03 AM   
REALLYMAD

So why can't you do it?
quote:

quote:

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

#1 wankiest attempted put-down in messageboard history.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 218
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 9:11:26 AM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Damnit. Now I have to see Clash twice. You read the reviews on AICN?

They say the conversion "Fucking Destroys!" this film.

So I'm seeing it tomorrow in destructive 3D. And will have to go again next week at the local Empire (£5 ticket!) in 2D.

Could a conversion REALLY be this fucked up?

I'm all for NOT converting to 3D if it isn't going to work. But I'm totally for MAKING films in 3D. I'd love all event films to be as visually mind blowing as Avatar. Shame really, because Clash is the kind of film I'd love to see in the format. Big-ass monsters? Do it!

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 219
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 9:12:19 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: REALLYMAD

So why can't you do it?
quote:

quote:

You're beginning to sound like a broken record. You know, an LP, or the longer versions, what were they called again?

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 220
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 10:23:15 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: MoBiUGeArSkIn

Damnit. Now I have to see Clash twice. You read the reviews on AICN?

They say the conversion "Fucking Destroys!" this film.

So I'm seeing it tomorrow in destructive 3D. And will have to go again next week at the local Empire (£5 ticket!) in 2D.

Could a conversion REALLY be this fucked up?

I'm all for NOT converting to 3D if it isn't going to work. But I'm totally for MAKING films in 3D. I'd love all event films to be as visually mind blowing as Avatar. Shame really, because Clash is the kind of film I'd love to see in the format. Big-ass monsters? Do it!

You are going to see it twice, even thoigh EVERYONE is saying avoid the 3D?

The studios must love you.

(in reply to MoBiUGeArSkIn)
Post #: 221
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 10:37:23 AM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

If I took peoples advice, I wouldn't do half the things I do. And would probably enjoy myself less.
I'll have to see for myself.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 222
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 11:14:00 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I need that meme to be more striking. Can you redo it in 3D?

Here you go!

Please put your glasses on now.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 223
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 11:28:10 AM   
Rgirvan44

My world has been blown open!

Post #: 224
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 12:12:58 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

This is why we need 3D to remain:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-trioviz-batman-goty-article

Because it's a testing bed.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 225
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 12:18:26 PM   
REALLYMAD

quote:

quote:

So why can't you do it?
quote:

quote:

You're beginning to sound like a broken record. You know, an LP, or the longer versions, what were they called again?

Ahhhh right. I did wonder what the previous reference meant.
Am I right in thinking that EP is perhaps a notorious poster (sorry, forumite) in here? If it is deemed necessary to provide proof using some method that EP and I are not one and the same by all means please message me in private and I shall willingly oblige.

In the meantime I'm sure that any fair minded person can see the not-so-thinly veiled insults directed towards me and yet I am being singled out for my responses to them.

Very hurtful. I may cry at the injustice of it all.

As for the ratio, I think far fewer than 4 in 10 have felt conned after seeing Avatar. Since however we appear as yet to have no reliable statistic on it I suppose it's a moot point as the estimated figure can easily be adapted to suit individual purposes for the sake of bolstering our position in the discussion. It's a statistic I'd certainly like to see though. I'm just working for now on the enormous amount of people who went to see it and the media hysteria created before AND after the film was released. Has to count for something.

< Message edited by REALLYMAD -- 1/4/2010 12:23:44 PM >

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

#1 wankiest attempted put-down in messageboard history.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 226
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 1:50:02 PM   
rancorpuppet

It is in listening to Kermode - who sounds like Gore Vidal next to James King and other 'Nathan Barley'-esque pop-journos - that one begins to pine for Tom Hibbert and even Alexander Walker.
The fact that Kermode considers the nauseating Christopher Tookey a respectable peer is enough to disintegrate the greatcoat of little learning "The Doctor" swathes himself in.

< Message edited by rancorpuppet -- 1/4/2010 1:54:31 PM >

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 227
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 2:17:34 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

This is why we need 3D to remain:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-trioviz-batman-goty-article

Because it's a testing bed.

Thats about videogames tho, and we're talking about film. I couldn't care less about videogames, for I am no longer a teenager and have a girlfriend.

I'm incredibly snobby about videogames (and to a lesser extent television). As a film fan it is my divine right to be tho, as we have put up with being frowned upon by the "higher" arts for the last 110 years.

Post #: 228
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 2:32:59 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

And do you think there would be a 3D push in videogames if it wasn't for the success of the 3D push in cinema?

Hello? HELLO!?

As I said earlier - 3D does not sit in a box reserved purely for filmmakers.

It has a knock on effect! And that knock on effect can lead to bigger and better things. Look at "Augmented Reality" technology and many avenues being explored with that. Everything from GPS to modelling in 3D space. It's even being used for daft things, like letting you hold your Transformers 2 DVD infront of web cam to view a model of Optimus Prime.

If 3D wasn't being used, if technology wasn't being developed, we wouldn't see this stuff. Eveything starts somewhere.

< Message edited by MoBiUGeArSkIn -- 1/4/2010 2:34:37 PM >

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 229
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 2:57:56 PM   
Deviation

quote:

And do you think there would be a 3D push in videogames if it wasn't for the success of the 3D push in cinema?

And was 3D in games ever truly needed? Frankly I don't give a damn in FF13 was in 3D or not, it works beautifully in 2D. And Silent Hill 2 is the beautiful masterpiece it is without monsters popping out of the image. Shadow of the Collossus is the spectacular game it is even without 3D.

quote:

Hello? HELLO!?

OMG you're being so.....obnoxious with histrionic posts like those.

quote:

As I said earlier - 3D does not sit in a box reserved purely for filmmakers.

For all I know, some of it feels mostly pointless as well and a waste of money right now. Impressive yes, but I really can't see the need for money being used on it. It still feels like an excuse to take money of my wallet.

quote:

It has a knock on effect! And that knock on effect can lead to bigger and better things. Look at "Augmented Reality" technology and many avenues being explored with that. Everything from GPS to modelling in 3D space.

That's awesome and cool even though I don't give much of a damn. Now, how does that have to do in 3D's implementation in film.

quote:

It's even being used for daft things, like letting you hold your Transformers 2 DVD infront of web cam to view a model of Optimus Prime.

OMG FINALLY MY LIFE IS COMPLETE! THE FILM IS AS GOOD AS THE DARK KNIGHT NOW!

And what the hell does that has to do with its use of film? Please tell us. Cause you seem to be evading the question. And how very droll REALLYMAD, how very droll...

< Message edited by Deviation -- 1/4/2010 3:30:23 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 230
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 2:59:49 PM   
Deviation

quote:

In the meantime I'm sure that any fair minded person can see the not-so-thinly veiled insults directed towards me and yet I am being singled out for my responses to them.

Oh. The. Hypocrisy.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 231
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 3:28:05 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Hello? HELLO!?

Look at "Augmented Reality" technology and many avenues being explored with that. Everything from GPS to modelling in 3D space. It's even being used for daft things, like letting you hold your Transformers 2 DVD infront of web cam to view a model of Optimus Prime.

Hasn't an all encompassing virtual environment being the holy grail of videogaming since the mediums inception? Regardless of the use of 3D in cinema I find it hard to believe that videogames weren't heading in that direction anyway. In spite of my opinion on 3D cinema I do actually believe that videogaming will have a good relationship with 3D technology. It makes sense.

What on Earth does augmented reality have to do with anything? As a tech-nerd augmented reality really does excite me, but it has nothing at all to do with the cinema. Do you not think that sort of technology was being pioneered by the likes of NASA and the mega-tech companies years ago? The cinema hasn't pioneered 3D, it has received the finished technology and is using it to pursue as many dollars and cents as it can.

And please don't act like you're being persecuted (personally). You're not, and its clear as day to anyone that has read this thread. You are on one side of an argument in here, of course your viewpoint will be called into question when those of us on the other side of the fence are attempting to discuss the topic at hand. Again, its nothing personal.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 1/4/2010 3:31:02 PM >

Post #: 232
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 3:46:54 PM   
Ste7enForever

Yeah 3D is kinda lame.

Except in G-Force and My Bloody Valentine!

www.facebook.com/deadevent - A zombie/wrestling movie what I (and loads infinitely more talented people) made...

http://www.loonybinforum.com/forum/index.php - A fun wrestling/ everything forum. Always looking for new members!

Post #: 233
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 4:01:37 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

You two, specifically you two, are ridiculous

Videogames were always played with a paid, ya know. Or a keyboard. And then someone developed the Wii, with its motion controls.

That proved popular, so Sony dived in with their "wand" and Playstation "Move". Basically the same system.

Microsoft, on the other hand, went ahead with "Natal". Which doesn't use controllers or sensor bars, but a form of camera which is smart enough to recognise the human body in its entirity. It's basically a kind of real time performance capture, and they're experimenting with how this can be put into game engines.

It can even go as far as to recognise facial movements. So, eventually, you'll smile at an NPC, and in a spooky way, that NPC will react to the emotion you show it.

All because Nintendo decided people might like to waggle something at their television.

"What does 3D do for films!?" you cry. Well, it makes 2.5 billion and blows the majority of viewers away, saying it transports them to another world.

It does that.

It also inspires people looking at advancing other forms of entertainment. What does 3D cinema mean for augmented reality? Same cinematic 3D technology could be applied to existing AR technology to bring those 3D models being viewed on a monitor "out" of the screen. It's no doubt being dabbled with.

I'm really bored talking about it now, so I can't be bothered to say it all again because you guys refuse to actually look at cross platform development, and what 3D can do for existing/future forms of entertainment in general.

< Message edited by MoBiUGeArSkIn -- 1/4/2010 4:02:49 PM >

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 234
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 4:08:02 PM   
Rinc

Is Avatar your favourite film?

Just asking because you seem such an exponent of 3D and keep banging on about the money it has made (helped largely by more expensive cinema tickets). So I was wondering if a 2D film could be better?

I'd guarantee that hardly any of the people who saw Avatar 3D would say its their favourite film. It might look spectacular but that isn't the be all and end all.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 235
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 4:20:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

So why can't you do it?
quote:

quote:

Ahhhh right. I did wonder what the previous reference meant.
Am I right in thinking that EP is perhaps a notorious poster (sorry, forumite) in here? If it is deemed necessary to provide proof using some method that EP and I are not one and the same by all means please message me in private and I shall willingly oblige.

Very hurtful. I may cry at the injustice of it all.

As for the ratio, I think far fewer than 4 in 10 have felt conned after seeing Avatar. Since however we appear as yet to have no reliable statistic on it I suppose it's a moot point as the estimated figure can easily be adapted to suit individual purposes for the sake of bolstering our position in the discussion. It's a statistic I'd certainly like to see though. I'm just working for now on the enormous amount of people who went to see it and the media hysteria created before AND after the film was released. Has to count for something.

Not feeling that immersed in the words to be honest. I wish your posts were in 3D.

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 236
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 4:22:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Videogames were always played with a paid, ya know. Or a keyboard. And then someone developed the Wii, with its motion controls.

That proved popular, so Sony dived in with their "wand" and Playstation "Move". Basically the same system.

Microsoft, on the other hand, went ahead with "Natal". Which doesn't use controllers or sensor bars, but a form of camera which is smart enough to recognise the human body in its entirity. It's basically a kind of real time performance capture, and they're experimenting with how this can be put into game engines.

It can even go as far as to recognise facial movements. So, eventually, you'll smile at an NPC, and in a spooky way, that NPC will react to the emotion you show it.

All because Nintendo decided people might like to waggle something at their television.

But what does that have to with ANYTHING WE ARE TALKING HERE? It's a different medium/art craft, stop comparing it to film.

quote:

"What does 3D do for films!?" you cry. Well, it makes 2.5 billion and blows the majority of viewers away, saying it transports them to another world. This is bloody ridiculous.

It does that.

I can assure you, very few I know actually say that, if they say they were transported to another world, it is not becuase of the 3D.

quote:

It also inspires people looking at advancing other forms of entertainment. What does 3D cinema mean for augmented reality? Same cinematic 3D technology could be applied to existing AR technology to bring those 3D models being viewed on a monitor "out" of the screen. It's no doubt being dabbled with.

On what basis are you saying this?

quote:

I'm really bored talking about it now, so I can't be bothered to say it all again because you guys refuse to actually look at cross platform development, and what 3D can do for existing/future forms of entertainment in general.

We are trying, you haven't given us a decent viewpoint.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 237
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 4:36:09 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Thats a pretty personal attack, and frowned upon on these boards.

As for the rest of your post, I'll echo Dev's point; what on Earth does any of that garbage about videogames have to do with FILM?!? You do realise that they are completely separate entities right? And, judging by the success of videogame and film crossovers I have a feeling that neither format understands the other.

You're talking absolute rubbish.

PS - I'm following you on Twitter, at least I presume its you. You might spout rubbish but at least you're somewhat entertaining.

Post #: 238
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 4:40:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Thats a pretty personal attack, and frowned upon on these boards.

I do think that was a facetious comment though.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 239
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 1/4/2010 4:41:10 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

"What does 3D do for films!?" you cry. Well, it makes 2.5 billion and blows the majority of viewers away, saying it transports them to another world.

Films in 2D can do that, they've been doing it for years, you don't necessarily need 3D in that regard. I can think of countless times I've been "transported to another world" before, in many different genres.  I think it'll get to a point where being blown away by films in 2D will be far more impressive.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI