Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion Page: <<   < prev  48 49 50 51 [52]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 19/3/2014 10:03:49 AM   
kathryn2

As a Cineworld Permium Unlimited Card holder I don't get charged extra for 3D - and I'll still do my upmost to see a film in 2D.

For me, 3D is usually an irritating experience, not an immersive one. There are a few exceptions to that - Gravity, some animated films (Up was enchanting in 3D) - but most of the time 3D gives me headaches or actively distracts from the story.

Prime example - I saw Star Trek into Darkness inn 3D, purely because there weren't enough 2D showings. There's a scene with Kirk and Pike in a bar talking, which is shot from the other side of the bar with some bottles in the front of the frame. The bottles are out of focus, naturally, because the focus is on Kirk and Pike, but all I remember from that scene is those bloody bottles jumping out at me, and my eyes trying to get them to come into focus, which was impossible. Cue massive headache and intense annoyance. I have no memory at all of what the scene was about, all I can remember was wanting to shoot the person who made those bloody bottles 3D. It did not add a sense of 'depth' to the scene, all it did was put a barrier between me and the characters in it.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 1531
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 19/3/2014 11:52:33 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: kathryn2

As a Cineworld Permium Unlimited Card holder I don't get charged extra for 3D - and I'll still do my upmost to see a film in 2D.

For me, 3D is usually an irritating experience, not an immersive one. There are a few exceptions to that - Gravity, some animated films (Up was enchanting in 3D) - but most of the time 3D gives me headaches or actively distracts from the story.

Prime example - I saw Star Trek into Darkness inn 3D, purely because there weren't enough 2D showings. There's a scene with Kirk and Pike in a bar talking, which is shot from the other side of the bar with some bottles in the front of the frame. The bottles are out of focus, naturally, because the focus is on Kirk and Pike, but all I remember from that scene is those bloody bottles jumping out at me, and my eyes trying to get them to come into focus, which was impossible. Cue massive headache and intense annoyance. I have no memory at all of what the scene was about, all I can remember was wanting to shoot the person who made those bloody bottles 3D. It did not add a sense of 'depth' to the scene, all it did was put a barrier between me and the characters in it.

I pretty much feel the same as you. More often than not it just distracts me or I don't notice any difference - and yes, even when it's free with an unlimited card I still try to seek out 2D screenings.

Recently, however, I saw Escape From Planet Earth and 300: Rise Of An Empire in 3D because the times didn't work out for 2D screenings, and all I can say is both were completely un-enhanced by the format. Rise Of An Empire particularly, which is already a dark film, just became a faded mess.

I've made my opinion about 3D clear on this thread before, and I still have no problem with people who genuinely like the format, but I really don't see the appeal and wish it wasn't so forced upon us. In my opinion, all films should be shown predominantly in 2D but with a few 3D showings for those who actually want it. Yet as it currently is, most of us are forced to watch a film in 3D unless we're able to plan around a couple of specific times (see previous examples).

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 1532
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 19/3/2014 3:43:16 PM   
GameOverManGameOver

Just to throw my hat into the ring......I'm not a fan of 3D and will, wherever possible go to the 2D showing. I find 3D a distraction (stop throwing things "out of the screen" now, please) and wearing the glasses doesn't help when I already wear normal glasses!

My biggest gripe about 3D? This is a personal thing but to be honest I don't find 3D that 3D at all. Rather it comes across to me as layers of 2D due to the fact the any individual item does not in itself have any depth. To be blunt, I find watching a 3D film a bit like watching a glorified version of Ivor The Engine! (for those that can remember that!)

"It's game over man, game over!!"

"Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!" Clay Davis, The Wire. Greatest utterance of shit ever!

PSN ID :- gameovermangameo

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 1533
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 19/3/2014 4:56:49 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: GameOverManGameOver

Just to throw my hat into the ring......I'm not a fan of 3D and will, wherever possible go to the 2D showing. I find 3D a distraction (stop throwing things "out of the screen" now, please) and wearing the glasses doesn't help when I already wear normal glasses!

As soon as this happens, they may as well set off a klaxon to say how they used 3D due to a financial rather than creative decision - most recently Star Trek Into Darkness with the spears. Any half decent use of 3D avoids this gimmick for me.

As I've previously said, I'm no fan of 3D and I resent paying for it (Flatlander and proud!). In recent years I've actively avoided watching films in the cinema unless I can get a 2D showing (apart from when the viewing has been arranged by a mate who didn't check: Disappointed!).

I've tolerated IMAX showings in 3D when there has been no 2D option to speak of because it's usually included in the ticket price.

It pissed me off no end that there were no Dredd 2D showings at all in my area but that is one of maybe two or three films where the 3D, while not enhancing the film, was used as well as I could hope for - the slo-mo sequences looked great although they do in 2D anyway.

quote:

My biggest gripe about 3D? This is a personal thing but to be honest I don't find 3D that 3D at all. Rather it comes across to me as layers of 2D due to the fact the any individual item does not in itself have any depth. To be blunt, I find watching a 3D film a bit like watching a glorified version of Ivor The Engine! (for those that can remember that!)

I agree with this - the most impressed I've been with 3D was in Avatar when the main blue cat (Jake?) is being stalked by the main female blue cat (forgotten how to spell her name and can't be arsed searching) in the jungle and you see the layers of foliage. It didn't blow me away but I thought it was a neat gimmick to attempt to add depth rather than fling shit at me. But it spawned countless retina-straining cash-ins.

I was also impressed with the wide shot of the scene in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (3D, HFR) where The White Council meet in that round building in Rivendell. I don't feel it justified the 3D but it brought back memories of those "holograms" you used to get in the 80s (like on Visionaries action figures).

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to GameOverManGameOver)
Post #: 1534
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 19/3/2014 5:19:10 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

quote:

As soon as this happens, they may as well set off a klaxon to say how they used 3D due to a financial rather than creative decision - most recently Star Trek Into Darkness with the spears. Any half decent use of 3D avoids this gimmick for me.

I tend to agree, and few films have avoided this that I've seen. Even Avatar was guilty of it, such as the scene at the end where Generic Military Bad Guy is shot with arrows and turns to point them towards the camera (a shot which looks deeply weird when watched on 2D at home). It stops 3D being immersive entirely for me and makes it a distraction by deliberately drawing your attention to it, thus taking me, even if only for a moment or two, right out of the film. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that seemed to avoid it entirely was Prometheus (though there are doubtless others).

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 1535
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 8/4/2014 8:19:48 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to GameOverManGameOver)
Post #: 1536
Page:   <<   < prev  48 49 50 51 [52]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion Page: <<   < prev  48 49 50 51 [52]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI