Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 4:45:32 PM   
Brundlesflies

Don't hate Kermit - but that was rather crappy & a bit pathetic really.

One thing that does bug me about the Avatar bashers is the number of people who reference the Smurfs as if they're the first people to think of the joke - and then slag the film off for not being original!

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 121
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 4:50:02 PM   
Tech_Noir

Why the Smurfs analogy at all? The title refers to the obvious source or inspiration, Hindu mythology. The various Gods and Goddesses are often depicted with blue skin when they take a human form - aka an Avatar! The central God of Hinduism is also nature-orientated, indifferent and not taking sides.

Rebirth and reincarnation is also a central theme of the film.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 29/3/2010 4:55:19 PM >

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 122
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 5:00:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Please Tech, don't try and make out it's a "deep" film. The only depth to Avatar was the depth of vision from the 3D, and that was sketchy at best.

I enjoyed Avatar, despite the script, the acting, and the voiceover. The 3D was incidental to it, and if it's incidental to a film that is meant to be the spokesfilm for 3D, then 3D is going to go some way before it becomes all-powerful.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 123
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 5:18:02 PM   
Brundlesflies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Why the Smurfs analogy at all?

Well that one's down to a (very funny) South Park episode, where Cartman goes to see a film called 'Dances with Smurfs'.

As to why they're blue, according to Cameron "Everything from the Wicked Witch to Martians to the Hulk was green, so green's already been taken - but blue wasn't and I thought blue-skinned characters would be cool"

quote:

I enjoyed Avatar, despite the script, the acting, and the voiceover. The 3D was incidental to it, and if it's incidental to a film that is meant to be the spokesfilm for 3D, then 3D is going to go some way before it becomes all-powerful.

agreed - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Wasn't the greatest film of all time, and the 3D did take some getting used to, but great fun.

as for the future of 3D - I think it'll hang around for a while yet if the current slate of films is anything to go by, but I wouldn't go to see a film simply because it was in 3D.

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 124
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 5:44:18 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Please Tech, don't try and make out it's a "deep" film.

It's not a deep film but that was the point of reference, not The Smurfs.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 125
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 6:33:02 PM   
Deviation

Tech is right though, the avatar is a concept from Hindu mythology and there are some Sanskrit terminology in the film. The film is clearly alluding to that mythology. But that's as far as the allusion goes since Cameron being the inept, rubbish filmmaker that he has become couldn't bother to further analyze what could have been a fascinating concept and decides to focus on a thin war, a terribly developed romance, other frivolous nonsense and well rendered pointless shots of trees and mountains.

And aren't the NaVi compared to the Smurfs becuase both a blue, peaceful tribe that live and care for nature? Only the Smurfs were much better created?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 126
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 6:33:13 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Its unfortunate, but regardless of his actual reference the fact that they are blue will come back to Smurfs.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 127
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 7:58:02 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

And aren't the NaVi compared to the Smurfs becuase both a blue, peaceful tribe that live and care for nature? Only the Smurfs were much better created?

No no, it's just the blue thing.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 128
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 8:07:10 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Its unfortunate, but regardless of his actual reference the fact that they are blue will come back to Smurfs.

I find that bluist.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 129
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 11:31:53 PM   
max314

quote:

Why the Smurfs analogy at all? The title refers to the obvious source or inspiration, Hindu mythology. The various Gods and Goddesses are often depicted with blue skin when they take a human form - aka an Avatar! The central God of Hinduism is also nature-orientated, indifferent and not taking sides.

Rebirth and reincarnation is also a central theme of the film.

To be fair, Cameron's avatars are just biological equivalents of the digital avatars depicted in The Matrix. And they, too, reference deities coming down in human form, particularly with regards to programs from the machine world.

And I'm sure someone else did it before the Wachowskis.

So the concept itself isn't really that original, and it's definitely not a first for mainstream Hollywood.

< Message edited by max314 -- 29/3/2010 11:32:26 PM >

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 130
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 11:38:36 PM   
max314

quote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/

And Kermode explains, in 'scientific' detail, why, with specific reference to Avatar. Not that he's being pissy about it, even if he does introduce it as the film that didn't win the Best Picture oscar . Technically, this may also count as a review.

Kermode's cringe comedy = enjoyable shit.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 131
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 12:30:05 AM   
will1000

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

I find that bluist.

Or these guys...

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 132
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 10:28:12 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

No no, it's just the blue thing.

Oh frack.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 133
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 11:17:44 AM   
Tech_Noir

Back on topic, I don't get the hatred for 3D. If it is just a money-making gimmick it'll pass and be forgotten, audiences won't keep paying for it. But if it here to stay then moaning about it won't help.

When I pay to see a movie in the cinema I'd like to see something I can't just get at home. Screen size isn't a factor for me (and I'm sure many others) as many have huge widescreen TV sets at home.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 134
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 11:26:05 AM   
Deviation

quote:

Back on topic, I don't get the hatred for 3D. If it is just a money-making gimmick it'll pass and be forgotten, audiences won't keep paying for it. But if it here to stay then moaning about it won't help.

5 pages too much for you to read?

< Message edited by Deviation -- 30/3/2010 11:29:02 AM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 135
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 11:27:41 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

quote:

5 pages too much for you too read?

I'm a busy man.

(eats crisps)

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 136
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 1:15:57 PM   
spark1

am trying to remember the last time i saw a smurf put a dying animal out of its misery and use toxic tipped arrows to kill people.

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 137
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 2:11:16 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

All you girls can suck it!

3D can add so much to the EXPERIENCE of going to the cinema.

To say Avatar was everything it could be in 2D is just insane. In 3D, it's the most amazing thing I've watched on any screen EVER. And I've seen boobies on my laptop!

2D Kraken < 3D Kraken!

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 138
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 2:11:37 PM   
Deviation

I don't, but I remember the Smurfs being far far superior and memorable than Avatar, so the comparison is unfair.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 139
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 2:51:37 PM   
Scabby

Alice in Wonderland really convinced me what a cash cow this is for Hollywood. It served no purpose, didn't actually benefit from it and did nothing to immerse me in the story anymore, if anything I just got a headache and wanted it to finish. The price alone is enough to piss me off (cinema prices are stupidly expensive now anyway). Clash of the Titans will be seen in 2D - if it is worth seeing to begin with!

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 140
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 3:51:37 PM   
Deviation

Scabby you are nothing but Kermode's sycophantic flock of student followers will continue to lap up their mentor's pre-programmed predilection for sticking it to the man,  a minority of bohemian wannabe faux-elitists who call themselves "serious film critics" convincing themselves that it's cool to agree with him. You know the type; the ones who would never EVER admit to liking Avatar; the ones who sit around at a party and throw out buzz words like uberdirektor and Zeitgeist and cinephile; the ones who I'd put my foot up the collective arses of if they ever tried coming up with all that bollocks in my presence, bunch of pretentious twats!

This is fact.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 141
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 3:53:39 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: MoBiUGeArSkIn

To say Avatar was everything it could be in 2D is just insane. In 3D, it's the most amazing thing I've watched on any screen EVER. And I've seen boobies on my laptop!

2D Kraken < 3D Kraken!

I love this ironic post.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to MoBiUGeArSkIn)
Post #: 142
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 3:58:02 PM   
REALLYMAD

quote:

Scabby you are nothing but Kermode's sycophantic flock of student followers will continue to lap up their mentor's pre-programmed predilection for sticking it to the man,  a minority of bohemian wannabe faux-elitists who call themselves "serious film critics" convincing themselves that it's cool to agree with him. You know the type; the ones who would never EVER admit to liking Avatar; the ones who sit around at a party and throw out buzz words like uberdirektor and Zeitgeist and cinephile; the ones who I'd put my foot up the collective arses of if they ever tried coming up with all that bollocks in my presence, bunch of pretentious twats!

This is fact.

I demand royalties.

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

#1 wankiest attempted put-down in messageboard history.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 143
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 4:01:29 PM   
Deviation

I wouldn't if I wrote that....

quote:

quote:

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 144
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 4:05:18 PM   
REALLYMAD

quote:

I wouldn't if I wrote that....

Well no, you did ruin it somewhat but the source material whilst taken out of context is still there.

Zeitgeist part or your regular vocabulary I'm guessing. Never mind. I'm sure movie snobs are loved by someone too...

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 145
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 4:11:33 PM   
Deviation

I did use Zietgeist a few months ago, becuase I studied Hegel and that was a concept I had to learn for my exams.

Other than that, what you said was so lolsome I simply had to embrace it. Don't ever leave us REALLYMAD, don't ever leave us. You are the Zietgeist of our times.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 146
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 4:29:11 PM   
REALLYMAD

quote:

I did use Zietgeist a few months ago...

Other than that, what you said was so lolsome...

Enough said I think. Lolsome, deary deary me...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 147
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 4:31:33 PM   
Deviation

Now that is quoting out of context, you wonderful troll.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 148
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 4:58:06 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MoBiUGeArSkIn

2D Kraken < 3D Kraken!

I love this ironic post.

What's ironic about it?

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 149
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/3/2010 5:15:26 PM   
REALLYMAD

quote:

Now that is quoting out of context, you wonderful troll.

Ahh and there it is, the T word. Didn't take long to find that particular dead end did it.
And emoticons too. Cute. Shucks!

Getting back to topic, since Sky TV are making a major investment into 3D it seems unlikely that it's disappearing anytime soon. TV manufacturers are ready and waiting to reap the benefits of the new particular spec required to broadcast 3D, which means changing out your set if you want it.

Does 3D work? For me it certainly does, I was extremely impressed with the quality during Avatar, it added to the experience and invited you to immerse yourself in it. The only thing lost to the 2D version is that it wasn't 3D and whilst I still enjoyed the film because it was extremely well crafted the 3D was treated with the light deft touch of someone good at their job. I agree that bolting on 3D post-production does not lend itself to the same subtlety of use and many films will not benefit from the augmentation.

As for the 3D glasses, as someone who has continuous trouble with ill-fitting eyewear pressing painfully at the temples (UK building sites now require everyone to wear eye protection) I have never once had any trouble with 3D cinema specs during or after the performance. I certainly expected to.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI