Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 8/5/2012 1:30:23 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Surely I can't be the only person who turns the lights off when watching a film at home?

I have three little electric candles that I place around the tv when watching a film. They give off a very nice ambience while not affecting the screen contrast.

Yeah I'm hardcore.

Scuse me, when did they become yours? LOL! Feckin' liar.

I agree however, in that soft lighting gives a nice touch to film watching and I prefer it with the main lights off - definitely!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 8/5/2012 1:42:24 AM >

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 1171
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/5/2012 1:11:18 PM   
spark1

the dr ducked out of seeing 'titanic 3 d'.

big surprise.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 1172
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/5/2012 11:12:09 PM   
elab49

I've been looking to book Prometheus. THey're really shoving 3D down your throats on this one - it seems the normal version won't open till Friday and, at least in my local cinemas, there are far fewer showings. Are cinemas trying to force people into 3D since takings seem to be dropping? I noticed the same with Avengers.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 1173
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/5/2012 11:15:53 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I've been looking to book Prometheus. THey're really shoving 3D down your throats on this one - it seems the normal version won't open till Friday and, at least in my local cinemas, there are far fewer showings. Are cinemas trying to force people into 3D since takings seem to be dropping? I noticed the same with Avengers.

Yes.
To be fair the reviews concerning Prometheus tend to say that the 3D is rather good.Though obviuosly I'm going to try my best to see this (and other films) in the traditional 2D format.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 30/5/2012 11:16:21 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1174
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 30/5/2012 11:21:02 PM   
MonsterCat

I would probably watch Prometheus in 3D if the technology wasn't so flawed. Call me crazy but I would actually like to see what's going on in the film.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 1175
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 31/5/2012 12:23:59 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

A friend of mine works for a major chain and he was telling me at the weekend how his cinema has now officially paid off their 3D upgrade costs through the subsidy they charge customers, which is interesting. Even with that in mind I don't expect the extra cost to see a 3D film to go anywhere, but there may not be as much of an onus on them to push 3D over 2D now.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1176
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 31/5/2012 9:07:37 AM   
elab49

Is it possible they'd make the push because now they see it as pure profit they get to keep?

It's interesting to hear how long it's taken to pay off the base cost, though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 1177
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 2/6/2012 10:50:48 AM   
Dirk Miggler

They really are ramming it down our throats aren't they ? I'll watch Prometheus at IMAX when it starts showing in Bradford later this month but only two 2D showings today at my local cinema.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1178
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 2/6/2012 12:28:55 PM   
spark1

man, the dr really lost the plot over sir ridley's comments on using 3d.
he really does hear what he wants to hear.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 1179
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 2/6/2012 3:32:24 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

Why not stop listening to Mark Kermode if his attitude towards 3D upsets you so much?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 1180
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 2/6/2012 3:46:16 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Why not stop listening to Mark Kermode if his attitude towards 3D upsets you so much?

To be fair Kermode really did hear what he wanted to there. Scott made a comment about the 2d version being beautiful and the Good Doctor inferred a whole lot from it that just wasn't implied.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 1181
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 2/6/2012 7:45:04 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

quote:

To be fair Kermode really did hear what he wanted to there. Scott made a comment about the 2d version being beautiful and the Good Doctor inferred a whole lot from it that just wasn't implied.

No, I think it was quite obvious that he was kinda half-joking about interpreting Sir Rid's comments, mainly to wind Mayo up. But to be honest Sir Rid was quite reticent about his attitude to 3D when asked and the fact that he seemed to endorse the 2D version more than the 3D one was quite telling.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 1182
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 11:03:58 AM   
the_driver

I think it may have passed the point of just being cynical about 3d and out right hating it, I personally like3d and it can be used well like in Avengers Assemble in the final battle as it is already light it works, but in Alice in Wonderland or Prometheus these dark films become basically unwatchable, 3D has to go glasses free or get lighter to work

'I don't carry a gun. I drive' -Drive
'I aim to misbehave' Serenity
Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else' Fight Club

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 1183
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 11:11:11 AM   
jon5000

Well, I saw my second 3D movie in The Avengers last week.

I have to say, cynical as it sounds, I genuinely believe this 'technology' has become nothing more than a ploy to charge a few extra quid at the multiplex. It honestly adds nothing to the cinematic experience.

It really is tantamount to overcharging on popcorn.

People do need to boycott it.

(in reply to the_driver)
Post #: 1184
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 11:25:03 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

I have to say, cynical as it sounds, I genuinely believe this 'technology' has become nothing more than a ploy to charge a few extra quid at the multiplex. It honestly adds nothing to the cinematic experience.

But this is where they have us by the balls.The more they release the bigger anticipated film in the 3D the more they win.Finding a 2D alternative is becoming more and more difficult.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 1185
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 12:04:41 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

But this is where they have us by the balls.The more they release the bigger anticipated film in the 3D the more they win.Finding a 2D alternative is becoming more and more difficult.

I would have chosen 2D as I find it easier on my eyes anyway... but alas the only evening showings were only 3D!

I saw it with two other people and we all were quite miffed at how much we'd been charged more for such a trivial gimmick in 3D. It's not even real 3D is it? It's more like a stereoscopic effect.

I do find it remarkable how Joe Public just embraces it so easily though. 'Okay... you can charge me nearly twice as much for that simple layering effect you've done there.' And people are meant to be tight in these austere times!

Henceforth, I will not see a film in 3D ever again. Even if it means seeing a film at 5 o'clock. POW

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 1186
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 12:14:09 PM   
Cool Breeze

My cinema showed Prometheus in two screens.One in 2d,the other in 3d.I saw it in 2D.

As long as we have the choice i dont really care but i do think people should boycott it.It adds nothing to the experiece. and is just a money making gimick.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 7/8/2012 12:25:34 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 1187
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 1:24:36 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

The Avengers isn't a 3D film. It was shot in 2D and has been converted in post, that's why it looks utter shite. If you want a serious example of 3D (and there are few of them) then go see Prometheus, it looks stunning. Other than the few good examples it really is a rip-off.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 1188
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 1:30:57 PM   
horribleives

So you're definitely in the 3D camp re: Prometheus? Going to see it later and I can't make me mind up.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 1189
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 1:39:49 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

So you're definitely in the 3D camp re: Prometheus? Going to see it later and I can't make me mind up.

For this film, yes. The 3D is definitely worth it on this occasion.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 1190
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 3:06:53 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

The Avengers isn't a 3D film. It was shot in 2D and has been converted in post, that's why it looks utter shite. If you want a serious example of 3D (and there are few of them) then go see Prometheus, it looks stunning. Other than the few good examples it really is a rip-off.

I saw Tin Tin in 3D... that was heralded as 'genuine' 3D or something, but it just felt exactly the same to me? It's still bollocks.

I'll see Prometheus in 2D I think, I just prefer it. The immersion of the visuals, good sound and a gripping story are enough for me. I don't need a 'thingscomingoutofthescreen' gimmick. Meh.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 1191
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 3:24:15 PM   
adambatman82

I don't like 3D myself, but thought it worked really well in Prometheus. Alongside Hugo I'd say it was the best use of the medium yet.

My "rule" for 3D comes down to director intent - if it was filmed that way then I'll give it a shot, as per the intentions of the filmmaker.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 1192
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 3/6/2012 3:25:46 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

quote:

No, I think it was quite obvious that he was kinda half-joking about interpreting Sir Rid's comments, mainly to wind Mayo up. But to be honest Sir Rid was quite reticent about his attitude to 3D when asked and the fact that he seemed to endorse the 2D version more than the 3D one was quite telling.

Exactly, he was winding Mayo up. They've been joking about it on twitter since.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 1193
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 3/6/2012 3:29:33 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

I saw Tin Tin in 3D... that was heralded as 'genuine' 3D or something, but it just felt exactly the same to me?

I think you've confused that with the motion-capture side of it Jon - All 3D CGI films have been in true 3D for at about 8 or 9 years now (The Polar Express is the first big release in that format, I think). CGI is inherently 3D to begin with as it's all mathematically created in 3D space anyway, so the software can add another virtual camera in there to create true separate images for both eyes. Really, there should be a noticeable difference between that and the conversion films which are breaking up an already filmed as 2D image into 3D components - though I avoid 3D conversions like the plague so I'm not the person to ask!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 1194
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 4/6/2012 5:33:15 PM   
Cool Breeze

The following quote from Nolan in this months issue says it all '' 3D is a misnomer because all film is already three dimensional.The whole idea of film is that its a three dimensional representation on a two dimensional plane.3D is more accurately described as steroscopic imaging.Stereoscopic imaging doesnt create the best, most inclusive audience experience.It is better suited to video games and other immersive technologies because it gives each audience member an individual perspective ''

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 1195
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott & General 3-D Discussion - 22/6/2012 1:02:52 PM   
Filmfan 2

What I'm increasingly getting annoyed at with this whole 3D situation, is the way that it's being forced upon the cinema going public.

If you're lucky enough to live near a multiplex with a huge number of screens, then you more than likely have a choice between seeing a movie in 3D or 2D. If you're living near a smaller cinema, however, chances are you don't have that choice, and 3D will most likely be your only option. Even some of the larger cinemas are routinely only showing a 2D version of a film once a day, and that's slap-bang in the middle of the afternoon, a time when most people won't be able to make it along (larger movies may get more 2D showings a day, but I've found that these disappear from the roster quicker than their 3D counterparts). This is exactly what's happening at Edinburgh's Cineworld (and Vue, though they often just show the 3D version of a film) and it's incredibly frustrating! What this is doing is creating the illusion of a cinema audience who want to watch 3D movies, when the reality is that they often don't have much choice in the matter. You could complain, but a chain might turn around and wave numbers at you about the number of people viewing 3D films, but the numbers play to this lack of choice.

There are films that I've seen (few, but they do exist) where I have enjoyed watching the 3D aspect. That said, I'd sooner choose 2D every time and short of boycotting the cinema, I don't know how to show my displeasure at this enforced pushing of 3D. I enjoy the spectacle of viewing a film on such a large screen and with a good sound system, but I object to being forced to watch a movie in a format that is increasingly showing what an exercise in pure money-making it is, not to mention highlighting how redundant it is as a storytelling mechanism.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 1196
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 17/7/2012 7:22:54 PM   
the_driver

Christopher Nolan used film rather than 3D and I think rather than beating 3D, Nolan is giving his last hurrah to film instead of Digital. Since this is IMAX and shot on film and even Scorsese is going digital this is THE END of Nolan's Batman and the use of film to make movies.
This is sad and 3D is a fad which will last for a long time.

'I don't carry a gun. I drive' -Drive
'I aim to misbehave' Serenity
Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else' Fight Club

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1197
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 17/7/2012 8:11:19 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I'll laugh if Batman 4.0 is in 3D.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to the_driver)
Post #: 1198
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 18/7/2012 7:54:26 AM   
jobloffski

Not paying the price
To see
in 3D
Only once

A film I could watch
Forever on disc
For the same level
Of bunce

3D film makers
You liars
You fakers
It enhances
Nothing
Just a
Money maker
Kiss my middle finger
You movers
You shakers
You robbers
You takers
You c....

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 1199
An Interesting Rumour About Cineworld... - 7/8/2012 10:18:52 AM   
chris kilby

Crooks...?

I made the mistake of going to see The (Not-So) Amazing Spider-Man last week. (Some fine actors - and Rhys Ifans - in search of a decent film, although it was grimly amusing watching Martin Sheen tie himself in knots trying to say "With great power comes great responsibility" without actually saying "With great power comes great responsibility." Which kinda summed up the whole film. I mean, what was the point? We'd seen all this, done better, before.) And to add insult to penury I had no choice but to see it in the dreaded 3D - I was only killing time till I could get in to see The Dark Knight Rises again in glorious, non-distracting, non-headache inducing 2D Flat-o-Vision (TM).

Anyway, when I jokingly asked the nice young chap at Cineworld (no, I'm not telling you which one - I don't want to get anyone into trouble) when they'll be dropping the surcharge for 3D movies now they've recouped their investment he told me there was a rumour going round the company that Cineworld will be dropping the surcharge by the end of the year. But it is just a rumour. And a third-hand one at that now. It won't make any difference to me anyhow - I won't be watching any more 3D even if they pay me a surcharge!

If this is true, though, I can't help wondering if the real reason they're dropping the surcharge is that the jig is up and the arse has dropped out of the 3D racket. That 3D is, was and always will be a gimmick and and like all fads the public have tired of it. And of being ripped-off. I know I am.

Now if you'll excuse me,I think I should probably go write up my belated Spider-Man review....

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI