Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 1:00:57 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Here's a question, if a film is shot in 3D and you refuse to view it in anything but 2D, does this mean you aren't watching the film as the director intended?

that seems to b a key argument.

mayb 'tron' will b the only movie this year to go forward with 3 d unlike the other lesser 3 d releases this year.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 91
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 1:15:09 PM   
elab49

Director? Or production company forcing 3D into the market for purely economic reasons?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 92
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 1:58:26 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Here's a question, if a film is shot in 3D and you refuse to view it in anything but 2D, does this mean you aren't watching the film as the director intended?

No. The 3D doesn't change anything about the film.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 93
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 2:04:55 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

3D makes all movies worse.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 94
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 2:13:20 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Director? Or production company forcing 3D into the market for purely economic reasons?

Poor Whedon....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 95
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 2:30:20 PM   
The Hooded Man

It's a scam for cinemas to justify charging further extortionate prices, didn't Kermode also point out that you don't have to give the 3D glasses back at the end of a film as you have bought them and nobody seems to be aware of this, doesn't stop our local plasticplex having someone at the door at the end of a film with a box for you to return them.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 96
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 2:53:26 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

The point = missed.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 97
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 3:40:17 PM   
CORLEONE

I think you're gonna have to draw him a picture, paul_ie86......

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 98
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 5:05:29 PM   
genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

It's a scam for cinemas to justify charging further extortionate prices, didn't Kermode also point out that you don't have to give the 3D glasses back at the end of a film as you have bought them and nobody seems to be aware of this, doesn't stop our local plasticplex having someone at the door at the end of a film with a box for you to return them.

I don't think the extra prise really equals more profit as they have more costs as well.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 99
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 5:55:38 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The point = missed.

If it doesn't change anything, how can it make it worse?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 100
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 9:22:30 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

You're paying for the cinemas costs to upgrade their system. Which is a little unfair, as surely its their obligation to actually have the equipment needed to operate?

But that's what I'm not sure of. Aren't 3D films still one piece of celluloid, but with a double image on it?

Out of curiosity, what was disastrous about the Alice In Wonderland screening?

It was the first post-production 3D film I'd seen in quite some time, having seen the likes of Avatar and UP in the meantime, so I really felt the headaches with Alice. And I mean really! I had a pretty intense migraine from the opening sequence. Also, migraine aside I felt the periodic removal of the glasses every fifteen minutes or so really took me out of the film. To its credit Avatar's use of 3D really didn't bother me, but in all fairness I don't think I was as invested in the story with Avatar as I was with Alice, hence the fact that I really noticed it when I had to take the glasses off.

Post #: 101
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 9:31:10 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

If it doesn't change anything, how can it make it worse?

It doesn't change anything in the film, but it can make you sick.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 102
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 9:57:33 PM   
Biggus

I'm one of those fortunate people who very rarely get ill and hardly ever get any sort of headache at all but watching Avatar really started to make my head hurt by the end of the film and I could even still feel it slightly the following morning. Ever since then, every now and again I feel a little twinge in my head when using my laptop and my eyesight I've noticed has deteriorated slightly. Just a bit blurry with certain distances. I'm sure it's nothing to do wth the 3D though but just thought I'd chuck that in there!

< Message edited by Biggus -- 17/3/2010 7:16:37 AM >

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 103
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 11:15:10 PM   
will1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

I'm one of those fortunate people who very rarely get ill and hardly ever get any sort of headache at all but watching Avatar really started to hurt by the end of he film and I could even still feel it slightly the following morning. Ever since then, every now and again I feel a little twinge in my head when using my laptop and my eyesight I've noticed has deteriorated slightly. Just a bit blurry with certain distances. I'm sure it's nothing to do wth the 3D though but just thought I'd chuck that in there!

I know a man who can help.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 104
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 23/3/2010 1:26:20 PM   
spark1

3-d-gimmick or future of movies?-

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/3d-cinematic-revolution-or-just-a-trick-of-the-light-1925400.html

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 105
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 23/3/2010 4:12:20 PM   
Marwood

Bit late on this one but imo 3D is both a gimmick and the future of films.

So far I haven't seen a 3D film (including Avatar) that I think I'd enjoy any less seeing in 2D - it is a visual enhancer but isn't essential to the story, acting, direction, cinematography and so on...those are things I really enjoy about films, not how much shit appears to be flying out of the screen at me.

However because a lot of shitty horror and animation films (you know the ones) have run with the gimmick to entertain the lcd adults and children it's been a success because society in general seems to now be easily pleased with any new gimmick...for a while (Big Brother is a lovely example of a genuinely interesting concept milked to fucking death and dumbed down more and more each series because Heat readers can't stop being voyeurs).

So for now it's a gimmick that doesn't really have much real application to the end result of a film but it is making a lot of money for studios right now. They're not stupid and will put out as much 3D content as possible while people are still interested (like any hot genre of film really) until the returns diminish. However there's a good chance that people will keep eating up shitty horror and animated 3D films to the stage where 3D becomes so popular all future studio content uses the format.

Then we'll once again have a clear distinction between studio and independent films; indies won't really be able to afford 3D seeing as many have trouble raising enough funds to actually produce and distribute to begin with. So in a majority of cases 3D will equal studio, 2D will equal independent.

However at the moment I'm fine with either format - providing films are still available in 2D as well as 3D then it's all good. I don't visit the cinema as much these days so when I do it's because I really, really want to see the film and chances are that frugal as I am I won't be prepared to pay the extra for a 3D screen ticket. However I've made exceptions (Avatar is the most notable) because for a large, spectacular blockbuster or science fiction piece I do feel that 3D can give you a slightly different (maybe enhanced) experience: but it isn't essential to enjoy the film so if Kermode is boycotting 3D films I believe it's because like me he isn't that bothered and doesn't want to pay an extra 4 pounds per ticket.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 106
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 24/3/2010 2:52:11 PM   
Cinema_Junkie

I'm not the biggest fan of 3D anyway (I wear glasses and putting the 3D ones over them are a hassle) but it feels a bit like over-kill to have a boycott on them.

Especially when some films the 3D is a majot part of the appeal, like Avatar.

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 107
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 25/3/2010 11:38:42 AM   
dannybono

Kermode for PM

fookin prawns

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 108
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 25/3/2010 4:46:19 PM   
The Hooded Man

Lifted this from the Beeb.

James Cameron is planning to convert Titantic into 3D

Avatar director James Cameron has criticised the process some film-makers use to convert a film originally shot in 2D into the 3D format.
Cameron said filming a movie in 3D - as he did with the Oscar-winning movie Avatar - assures better quality over subsequent conversion.
He said directors "should have been pounding on the gates of the studios saying we want to make movies in 3D."
Cameron also expressed concerns the appetite for 3D films might soon waver.
'Slapdash conversion'
The director said film-makers are now "paying the price" because the studios are calling the shots.
"The problem is these decisions should be made by film-makers, they shouldn't be made by studios, because if it was up to studios they're going to sacrifice quality for lower cost," Cameron said.
The film-maker has revealed he is planning to convert his 1997 blockbuster Titanic into a 3D release, but said it will be different because he plans to take his time instead of doing a "slapdash conversion".
Avatar was a huge commercial success and was reportedly the most expensive film ever made, with a budget of at least $300m (185m).
Since the success of Tim Burton's 3D Alice In Wonderland, which was made into 3D after it was filmed, studios are looking to convert more movies.
Clash of the Titans is now expected to be released as a 3D film.
Speaking last month at the launch of Alice, Burton said it is more about technique, rather than the process.
"With all these tools, you can see good 3D, bad 3D, good conversion and bad conversions," he said.
Transformers director Michael Bay has also joined the debate, telling movie industry website Deadline.com that he is "not sold right now on the conversion process".

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to dannybono)
Post #: 109
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 26/3/2010 1:38:45 PM   
spark1

the debate moves to SHOWEST-

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-03-22-showest22_ST_N.htm

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 110
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 26/3/2010 3:11:15 PM   
hatebox

Has Chris Nolan given his views on the 3D outbreak yet? WB have pretty much confirmed that the next Batman film will be in 3D given all their blockbusters will be from now on. But whether it's filmed in 3D or 'retrofitted' makes a world of difference.

Funny to think now, but his filming of large sequences in IMAX was seen as quite a big deal at the time, so he is into technological progress. Just wonder if he'd be into this, whether he sees it as 'progress'.

< Message edited by hatebox -- 26/3/2010 3:14:48 PM >

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 111
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 27/3/2010 12:36:12 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

the debate moves to SHOWEST-

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-03-22-showest22_ST_N.htm

What the fuck is that?

And what is the point of Batman in 3D? Seriously what is the point?

< Message edited by Deviation -- 27/3/2010 12:40:31 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 112
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 28/3/2010 12:10:47 AM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

Has Chris Nolan given his views on the 3D outbreak yet?

[...]

Funny to think now, but his filming of large sequences in IMAX was seen as quite a big deal at the time, so he is into technological progress. Just wonder if he'd be into this, whether he sees it as 'progress'.

Nolan's interested in 70mm film, not high definition video. That's where his fascination with the IMAX process comes from.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 113
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 28/3/2010 11:00:33 AM   
mediarats

I'm with Dr K on this one.

You only need 3D for films such as Avatar, which have 3 dimensions in their DNA, and were primarily designed for the 3D experience.

Wasting an extra fiver to watch films such as Alice in Wonderland, with unnecessary bolt-on 3D, is utterly pointless.

Pretty soon the audience are going to realise this, and will stop going to see every fake 3D movie expecting another Avatar.

< Message edited by mediarats -- 28/3/2010 11:01:33 AM >

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 114
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 8:52:32 AM   
elab49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/

And Kermode explains, in 'scientific' detail, why, with specific reference to Avatar. Not that he's being pissy about it, even if he does introduce it as the film that didn't win the Best Picture oscar . Technically, this may also count as a review.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to mediarats)
Post #: 115
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 9:15:09 AM   
Tech_Noir

Yet another reason I loath Kermode.

Give me Roger Ebert any day.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 116
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 3:31:04 PM   
DaveTheStampede

I've just developed a whole new respect for Kermode

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 117
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 4:22:07 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Ebert hates 3D too. Perhaps even more so-

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2008/08/dminus_for_3d.html

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 118
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 4:27:45 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Ebert hates 3D too. Perhaps even more so-

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2008/08/dminus_for_3d.html

Yeah but he's doesn't resort to puppets and funny voices.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 119
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 29/3/2010 4:36:52 PM   
Felix

I'd rather watch a 3D film than sit through one of Kermode's insufferably smug film reviews.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI