Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 14/3/2010 4:50:34 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

So even though Kermode went gaga over Avatar's use of 3-D, expect him to gradually phase that out of public memory as he gradually falls in line with the man who defined the meaning of his life.

Wait - when did that happen? Didn't he describe the movie's 3D as being "flimflam" and stated that it made no real difference when he removed his glasses mid-movie?

He did yes

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 61
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 14/3/2010 8:52:33 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I agree with the majority of posts in here. If a film has to be seen in 3D to be appreciated and is rubbish without it, then it is a rubbish film. Besides, there would be no DVD's sold of the bloody things.

3D makes all movies worse. Emphasis is taken away from dialogue and story and placed in the visuals, meaning that it is unbalanced. Plus 3D always makes me feel ill.

Says the person who loves Fantasia, where there are no story or dialogue and its a purely visual film. Avatar could have been a silent film and you would still have seen how it ended coming a mile away, it was a functional plot but that wasnt the point, it was the experience of seeing it in 3D. Its the first "event" movie since the LOTR trilogy was around, where people who have little interest in going to the cinema are going in droves to see what its all about, surely thats a good thing? Cinemagoing has become an experience again, where downloading or waiting for the dvd just wont do it, and you'll go out of your way to see a movie the way it was intended. 

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 62
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 14/3/2010 11:00:22 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I agree with the majority of posts in here. If a film has to be seen in 3D to be appreciated and is rubbish without it, then it is a rubbish film. Besides, there would be no DVD's sold of the bloody things.

3D makes all movies worse. Emphasis is taken away from dialogue and story and placed in the visuals, meaning that it is unbalanced. Plus 3D always makes me feel ill.

Says the person who loves Fantasia, where there are no story or dialogue and its a purely visual film. Avatar could have been a silent film and you would still have seen how it ended coming a mile away, it was a functional plot but that wasnt the point, it was the experience of seeing it in 3D. Its the first "event" movie since the LOTR trilogy was around, where people who have little interest in going to the cinema are going in droves to see what its all about, surely thats a good thing? Cinemagoing has become an experience again, where downloading or waiting for the dvd just wont do it, and you'll go out of your way to see a movie the way it was intended.

Nah, that was Mamma Mia!, at least in this country.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 63
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 12:15:00 AM   
Deviation

And The Dark Knight wasn't?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 64
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 12:40:35 AM   
trailerguy

Unfortunatly i don't think 3D is going anywhere too soon, hell, Sky are releasing a box soon to cope with it. I am however getting a bit tired of it in films. Games are going to be different matter, but it would be nice of hollywood to stop releasing films in retrofitted 3D and then charging me an extra 2 to see it. I don't mind the odd kids film (Toy Story and Monsters VS Aliens) but it seems almost every animated film is cashing in whilst they can.

Trailer Talk
http://trailers.cinetalk.tv
Poster Talk
http://posters.cinetalk.tv
Facebook Group
http://bit.ly/cinetalk

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 65
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 6:11:53 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

Says the person who loves Fantasia, where there are no story or dialogue and its a purely visual film.

Unlike Avatar.

quote:

Avatar could have been a silent film and you would still have seen how it ended coming a mile away, it was a functional plot but that wasnt the point, it was the experience of seeing it in 3D.

Why is the 3D the main drawcard for this film? It's a visual feast in two dimensions, and the visuals actually enhanced the very simple plot. Cameron got greedy and thought that he needed that extra dimension to make it good.

quote:

Its the first "event" movie since the LOTR trilogy was around, where people who have little interest in going to the cinema are going in droves to see what its all about, surely thats a good thing?

Not if it means the audiences only care about 3D, which is what you seem to be implying.

quote:

Cinemagoing has become an experience again, where downloading or waiting for the dvd just wont do it,

Cinemagoing never ceased to be an experience for me. I look around at the public and wonder why they only come to the cinema if an extravaganza of some kind was showing, and not for the good stuff.

quote:

and you'll go out of your way to see a movie the way it was intended.

Only if it doesn't make me ill.

Avatar was the best film of 2009, but only sometimes.

I can't wait to see Casablanca in 3D. That'll be in 2012.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 66
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 7:37:49 AM   
genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: trailerguy

Unfortunatly i don't think 3D is going anywhere too soon, hell, Sky are releasing a box soon to cope with it. I am however getting a bit tired of it in films. Games are going to be different matter, but it would be nice of hollywood to stop releasing films in retrofitted 3D and then charging me an extra 2 to see it. I don't mind the odd kids film (Toy Story and Monsters VS Aliens) but it seems almost every animated film is cashing in whilst they can.

But to charge the extra 2 quid they have to supply the glasses, have extra staff on to give everyone the glasses and so on, but the rest of your point is valid. retro fitted 3D bad and annoying.

(in reply to trailerguy)
Post #: 67
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 8:32:27 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

I can't wait to see Casablanca in 3D. That'll be in 2012.

It'll happen.

Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 68
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 10:50:11 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

And The Dark Knight wasn't?

Mamma Mia took over 130 million, while The Dark Knights total was under 90 million in the UK. Mamma Mia was the highest ever box office success in the UK til Avatar (which has only just passed it, and only by $3 million, so if you remove the extra earned by 3D Mamma Mia is ahead of even that!).

In short, and rather embarrassingly Mamma Mia was our cultural phenomenon at the cinema. Thats the film that dragged those who don't venture to the cinema out.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 69
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 12:44:19 PM   
maffew

Working in a cinema, its obvious just how much of a draw 3D is.. The amount of people who say 'it's in 3D, right?' on a daily basis is staggering.. I remember when people just wanted to know if the film was good or not.

A few months ago, when 3d was just kicking off, I was all for it - but now..It painful watching parents bring five kids to see a 3D film and struggle to shell out 60-70 quid it costs to buy the tickets.. the cinema shouldn't cost that much!! It's not going to go away, either - studios are going to follow in the footsteps of the highest grossing film of all time, and slap a big 3D sign on their film, because as far as I can tell, the crazy prices aren't stopping people selling out the screens - for about 3 months Avatar sold out every show, every day. Alice in Wonderland is performing similarly - even though the 3D is nothing special, I popped my head in without glasses on, happily watched for a good 10 minutes without needing to put any on..

I agree, 3D is a gimmick, designed to double ticket prices, and so long as people are happy to pay double and feel slightly underwhelmed, it's gonna stick around for the foreseeable future.

(that said, I'd totally get a 3DTV for playing games on, but that's a different thing..)

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

Post #: 70
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 1:05:13 PM   
grucl

Do the prices really double because of 3D in the UK?

Here in Germany I usually pay a premium of 2-3 Euro for 3D, that's all.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 71
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 1:10:25 PM   
maffew

No, they don't double, I'm exaggerating.. It's 9.50 for a regular film, and 11.75 for a 3D one, 13.75 if you want assigned seats..

That said, I'm in London - compared to ticket prices back home up North, they really are doubled..i think it was 6.95 for ticket there..

< Message edited by maffew -- 15/3/2010 1:26:43 PM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 72
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 1:16:07 PM   
Sleepy

The cinema I go to does not charge extra for watching the 3D version - Movie House chain in Northern Ireland. Maybe others in the UK will soon follow - hopefully it won't go the other way for Movie House, since 3D has exploded in popularity!

When it comes to the evil intentions of man, I'm always optimistic.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 73
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 1:21:05 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

Working in a cinema, its obvious just how much of a draw 3D is.. The amount of people who say 'it's in 3D, right?' on a daily basis is staggering.. I remember when people just wanted to know if the film was good or not.

A few months ago, when 3d was just kicking off, I was all for it - but now..It painful watching parents bring five kids to see a 3D film and struggle to shell out 60-70 quid it costs to buy the tickets.. the cinema shouldn't cost that much!! It's not going to go away, either - studios are going to follow in the footsteps of the highest grossing film of all time, and slap a big 3D sign on their film, because as far as I can tell, the crazy prices aren't stopping people selling out the screens - for about 3 months Avatar sold out every show, every day. Alice in Wonderland is performing similarly - even though the 3D is nothing special, I popped my head in without glasses on, happily watched for a good 10 minutes without needing to put any on..

I agree, 3D is a gimmick, designed to double ticket prices, and so long as people are happy to pay double and feel slightly underwhelmed, it's gonna stick around for the foreseeable future.

All of which makes a boycott by a few purists quite useless.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 74
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 1:48:03 PM   
Deviation

Purists?

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 75
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 2:01:52 PM   
UTB

"A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences. ..."

Yes, purists.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 76
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 2:09:35 PM   
superdan

I had no idea I was a purist

Thing is, when I talk to my friends about 3D virtually all of them say the same thing along the lines of  'it's alright, don't see what the fuss is about' and/or 'hurts my eyes'. Most of them probably only go to the cinema 2 or 3 times a year so they are hardly purists and they are less than overwhelmed by the 3D 'revolution'.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 77
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 2:12:15 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

"A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences. ..."

Yes, purists.

And people denouncing 3D as a gimmick are these?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 78
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 2:21:59 PM   
UTB

People who want to watch film as it always has been are, yes. Including myself. It's not a derogatory term.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 79
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 2:33:57 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

You don't need to be a purist to shit all over 3D, though. You just need to say it hurts your eyes.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 80
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 3:18:06 PM   
krudler

I dont really see what the big fuss is, if you think its a gimmick, just go to the non 3D version, if you dont think it matters to how much you'll enjoy the movie or hurts your eyes see the normal version instead. 

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

Post #: 81
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 3:30:34 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

I dont really see what the big fuss is, if you think its a gimmick, just go to the non 3D version, if you dont think it matters to how much you'll enjoy the movie or hurts your eyes see the normal version instead. 

There has already been one film shown in my city that didn't have a 2D version showing. It was The Final Destination. It may have been crap, but it doesn't matter. It worried me. I worry for this year's release of Toy Story 3.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 82
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 3:31:40 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

People who want to watch film as it always has been are, yes. Including myself. It's not a derogatory term.

For how long, exactly?

Film is a constantly changing medium. Not saying I agree with 3D, cos I don't, but to say that it has been constant is a fallacy.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 83
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 3:36:14 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Why does 3D cost more anyway? Isn't it still a single piece of celluloid with the "unwatchable" double image on it?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 84
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 4:12:23 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Why does 3D cost more anyway? Isn't it still a single piece of celluloid with the "unwatchable" double image on it?

You're paying for the cinemas costs to upgrade their system. Which is a little unfair, as surely its their obligation to actually have the equipment needed to operate?

Personally, following a disastrous screening of Alice In Wonderland I've decided to give up on 3D for the immediate future. I'll probably see Tron in 3D in December, but in the meantime I'll stick to 2D. And that includes Toy Story 3, as I had a much better time with UP in 2D on Blu-ray than I did at the theatre in 3D.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 15/3/2010 4:14:40 PM >

Post #: 85
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 15/3/2010 4:26:21 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

For how long, exactly?

Film is a constantly changing medium. Not saying I agree with 3D, cos I don't, but to say that it has been constant is a fallacy.

I was referring to watching moving pictures on a screen with sound. That hasn't changed, other than the places that you can do this.

Post #: 86
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 3:02:39 AM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

So even though Kermode went gaga over Avatar's use of 3-D, expect him to gradually phase that out of public memory as he gradually falls in line with the man who defined the meaning of his life.

Wait - when did that happen? Didn't he describe the movie's 3D as being "flimflam" and stated that it made no real difference when he removed his glasses mid-movie?

My bad.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 87
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 4:34:13 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

You're paying for the cinemas costs to upgrade their system. Which is a little unfair, as surely its their obligation to actually have the equipment needed to operate?

But that's what I'm not sure of. Aren't 3D films still one piece of celluloid, but with a double image on it?

Out of curiosity, what was disastrous about the Alice In Wonderland screening?

Post #: 88
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 8:16:01 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

For how long, exactly?

I was referring to watching moving pictures on a screen with sound. That hasn't changed, other than the places that you can do this.

"Watching moving pictures on a screen with sound" aptly describes 3D as well, though. This is my point: it's one more development along the lines of sound, colour, widescreen... It's a development - maybe not a good one - but another step.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 89
RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott - 16/3/2010 11:28:53 AM   
Rgirvan44

The thing is that there has only been truely a handful of 3D films which are the genuine article. For studios, if they can shoot a film in the traditonal method, along with tradtional effect shots, then convert it into 3D (a la Alice and Clash) then they are not spending double money for effects works - one of the reasons that Avatar cost so much. If people are willing to shell out more money for movies which aren't "true" 3D then why should the studios go to all the effort and time of making what is still an expensive process?

For me, the only 3D movie I will be seeing in the near future is Tron - the next true 3D movie.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Mark Kermode's 3 D Boycott Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI