Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Blind Side - 7/3/2010 4:25:36 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 7/3/2010 4:25:36 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

It is what it is. A simple, uncomplicated feel-good movie with cardboard cut-out characters. Although I challenge any hot-blooded male to come away not having inappropriate thoughts about Bullock.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 7/3/2010 7:31:37 PM   
TheGodfather

The film that I still had to see of all pictures nominated for the Best Picture Oscar:

[B][URL=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0878804/]The Blind Side[/URL][/B]
That Americans love stories that revolve around people living The American Dream is a well known fact. But the they love it so much that they nominate this Sandra Bullock vehicle for a Best Picture Oscar does take it a little far.
It`s a well known storyline: a young guy from a bad neighbourhood works his way up with a talent he himself didn`t know he had, in the school football team. Sandra Bullock and her husband take the care of the dude upon them and take him in, becoming a sort of foster parents.
We all know how this is gonna end and so 130 minutes is way too long for this kinda crap.
If this is gonna take the Oscar for best picture tonight, they can stop awarding them right away...
[B]5,0/10[/B]

Post #: 3
More crocodile tears... - 8/3/2010 4:55:47 PM   
Edward Nygma

Is it just me or are there a hell of a lot more succesful artificially emotional films these days? Films like Precious, The Blind Side, The Lovely Bones, every Clint Eastwood-directed film ever or even Avatar all aim to tear-jerk us to death with stories or emotions which don't feel real for a second (even if they are) and have more in common with overblown melodramas of the 50's than gritty, well-executed tragic stories like The Wrestler.

Strangely enough, it's films which don't have that self-assured tear-jerking goal which end up being moving and interesting. I'm thinking of films like Crazy Heart (so happy Bridges won btw), A Single Man, A Serious Man or even The Road.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 4
RE: The Blind Side - 18/3/2010 6:39:13 AM   
sarkark21

I feel-good movie with cardboard cut-out characters

http://indian-bollywood-masala.blogspot.com/

Post #: 5
RE: The Blind Side - 18/3/2010 2:34:27 PM   
kata

Watched this last night.  Enjoyed it.

Pretty uncomplicated and without Bullock probably wouldn't have got any attention.  Though I'm not sure hers was an Oscar worthy performance.  Had no idea it was a true story until the end credits either.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to sarkark21)
Post #: 6
Disagree! - 22/3/2010 7:56:11 AM   
kasper_t

... and how about the movie's latent racism? Seems to me this was NRA-friendly, patronizing, far-right propaganda. To wit: the portrayal of black people other than Big Mike (either gangsters or 'villains', except for the man who brings Big Mike to the school in the first place and in some ways saves his life, but strangely never gets HIS dues), Kathy Bates' character (which casts a Democrat as the slightly silly, well-meaning sidekick) and Sandra Bullock's cringeworthy NRA tirade ("The DA is in my prayer group, I'm a member of the NRA and I'm always packing). I thought this had a lot of potential as a decent inspirational film, but the clumsy handling of the political material makes it extremely hard to swallow, and Bullock is nothing more than mediocre. What a shame this won her the Oscar, and truly a disappointment that the Academy weren't able to see through the thin facade to the xenophobia that lies underneath.

Post #: 7
Blind Side - 29/3/2010 8:51:54 PM   
moviemaniac2

if you want to see a simple but immensely feel good flick, then The Blind Side is worth a watch, but leave your cynicism at the door

Post #: 8
Blind Side - 29/3/2010 8:51:55 PM   
moviemaniac2

if you want to see a simple but immensely feel good flick, then The Blind Side is worth a watch, but leave your cynicism at the door

Post #: 9
The Republican Side - 29/3/2010 8:53:28 PM   
filmsunlimited

OK, this is a feel good tale and there is some excellent acting. But where this falls down badly is the holier-than-thou white suburban take the black kid from the Projects feel about this. What absolutely nails the coffin is the 'Ive got a confession, Im a DEMOCRAT' line from the tutor. Also the American football thread of this will grate on many UK viewers, where , yet again, we have an underdog sports movie. There is some comedic value in the deans of various universities coming to the family home for interviews (not that one could ever see the University of Derby or Bournemouth Polytechnic sending out a representative anywhere) This gets a 3, but only on the virtue that 2.52 only just rounds upwards.

< Message edited by filmsunlimited -- 29/3/2010 8:54:09 PM >

Post #: 10
- 15/4/2010 4:44:57 AM   
nc_jj

Not a great movie, but it's good fun and all. What must be highlighted is Bullock's legendary performance. Jaw-dripping and moving. I'm sure you won't see her the same way [ever] again.

Post #: 11
The Blind Side - 18/5/2010 10:32:27 PM   
Soprano168

It was pretty painful to watch and no ones likes to see an annoying and ugly ginger kid. Sandra Bullock didnt win the award for her acting skills but because the academy liked her character.

Post #: 12
- 3/11/2010 11:52:50 AM   
reminn

Good.

Post #: 13
The Blind Side Review - 3/3/2012 10:33:55 PM   
the film man

It might strike some viewers as a little too pat, but The Blind Side has the benefit of strong source material and a strong performance from Sandra Bullock.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Blind Side Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI