Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Tim Burton's Best YET!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Tim Burton's Best YET! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tim Burton's Best YET! - 23/6/2010 4:27:20 PM   
JackS1351

This is by far Tim Burton's Best YET! I don't know how he does it. He has a great imagination. Everything other than a few flaws makes this movie stand out from the rest. Even Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are terrific as per usual. But sadly a few flaws spoil the fun.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 121
Tim Burton does it again - 27/6/2010 3:31:11 PM   
EmilyCarmen

I have seen a lot of films of Tim Burton and he has a talent for the extraordenaire. He always delivers great work if he works with Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp. But also Alan Rickman and Timothy Dalton and Micheal Sheen are in there element.

Post #: 122
Really poor - 1/7/2010 1:50:50 PM   
rich

I gave this the benefit of the doubt...... but the only thing wonderous to be found here is the the fact that such a large budget has been squandered on such a tedious and dull film. It takes quite a talent to create a story so devoid of fun and imagination, but Tim Burton is the man for the job. Not even a cast full of people like Alan Rickman and Steven Fry can save this train wreck.

Post #: 123
The greatest fantasy of all time - 28/8/2010 1:28:27 PM   
1movieguy1

Alice in Wonderland is a brilliant film it is a bit dark for a PG film but good for fans of the book and Tim Burton. The special effects are amazing.

Post #: 124
Disappointing - 21/9/2010 5:31:10 PM   
blaud

I was expecting American McGee's adaptation, not some shit about her in a square-go against Helena Bonham Carter. Really, really drawn out and dull, but it keeps your attention somehow.

Post #: 125
Alice in Wonderland - 26/9/2010 6:49:03 PM   
McGeesJabberwock

Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland has been adapted for the screen many times, even if it’s difficult to replicate what made the book so special with actors and a camera. The book is mostly made of conversations and dream logic, which rarely works as well for movies as it does for a written novel, which is probably why so many adaptations of the story, including Disney’s animated version back in 1951, fall flat on their face. However, if there’s anyone who could make a great film from this source material, it would be Tim Burton, master of the surreal and innocently macabre.

This Alice in Wonderland, released in selected theatres March 5th 2010, actually isn’t an adaptation of Carroll’s work. It’s meant to be an unofficial sequel, but feels at times like a complete reimagining. The changes made here, sadly, are not for the better.

Alice Kingsley (Mia Wasikowska) sees a White Rabbit running around in a garden and follows it into Underland, as the movie renames it, where the inhabitants believe she is the only one who can rescue them from the tyranny of the evil Red Queen (Helen Bonham Carter). In order to fulfil her destiny, she joins forces with her old acquaintance the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp), to restore the White Queen (Anne Hathaway) to the throne.

This is quite a departure from the tone of the original books, but it can work; the idea of Alice needing to restore peace to a war-torn Wonderland has been done well before, with the video game American McGee’s Alice and the Looking Glass Wars trilogy of novels. Alice in Wonderland, though, relies far too much on the typical fantasy clichés. A prophecy about the hero freeing the world that does nothing but deflate tension, the hero having to steal a treasure from a sleeping beast (which comes to a baffling conclusion this time) and, of course, the huge, climatic battle. One can see why someone would want to update the timeless story, but there are better ways to do it then this.

It doesn’t help that the main characters aren’t really engaging or interesting. Alice is bland, and her constant denial of the world’s reality grows weary after a while. Both the White Queen and the Hatter are embarrassing to watch, especially when the latter puts on a Scottish accent. The more minor characters are more interesting to watch; Matt Lucas is amusing as the balloon-like Tweedledum and Tweedledee, Stephen Fry is perfectly cast as the mysterious Cheshire Cat and the Helen Bonham Carter is a treat as the snooty Red Queen. The Jabberwock was also well-done, but used too little. If the movie was going to climax with his defeat, and had none other than Christopher Lee performing the voice of the beast, more should have been done with him.

It’s unlikely much people will go and see a Tim Burton movie for its plot, though. It’s really the visuals his repertoire is known for, and Alice in Wonderland delivers. Underland is delightfully varied in appearance, with murky purples and greys dominating its forests, the Red Queen’s castle being darkly regal and the White Queen’s realm emitting a heavenly aura. The landscapes are detailed, yet still feel somewhat artificial, and it’s not easy to forget these actors are performing in front of a green screen.

The CGI is used better on the characters, making the animals look more natural and the humans look as adorably grotesque as the illustrations in the original book. The White Rabbit blends in almost seamlessly with Alice’s mundane world, the Caterpillar looks appropriately mystical and the Red Queen’s bulbous cranium just makes that character all the more enjoyable to watch. There are times when the film just seems to be using special effects for the sake of using special effects – there was no real reason Alice’s dress couldn’t have shrunk with her – but it is satisfying to see a well-known classic rendered in this realistic yet surreal way. An adaptation of something like The Wind in the Willows or The Wizard of Oz made using this style would be welcomed, if they had a better script and better actors, that is.

Alice in Wonderland could have been something special, but instead feels like the majority of Burton’s recent output, as well as last year’s Avatar, a stale story with forgettable characters, which is still worth watching for its visual beauty. It’s more entertaining than Burton’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but, despite the huge marketing campaign, one would be forgiven for giving this a pass. Adaptations of Alice in Wonderland rarely shine, and this is no exception.

< Message edited by McGeesJabberwock -- 26/9/2010 7:38:28 PM >

Post #: 126
- 3/11/2010 12:00:45 PM   
reminn

Average.

Post #: 127
Burton at his best! - 4/3/2011 4:19:42 PM   
tonidepp16

Explains exactly what it says on the tin because it literally is Tim Burton at his ultimate best, going better than he ever has before; mixing real perople & CGI to make a surrealistic land that everyone has imagined time & time again in their minds after reading the original novels. Along with an amazing cast & crew, Burton definitely outdid himself, along with the 3D, which made that make belief land all the more real.

Post #: 128
Burton at his best! - 4/3/2011 4:19:46 PM   
tonidepp16

Explains exactly what it says on the tin because it literally is Tim Burton at his ultimate best, going better than he ever has before; mixing real perople & CGI to make a surrealistic land that everyone has imagined time & time again in their minds after reading the original novels. Along with an amazing cast & crew, Burton definitely outdid himself, along with the 3D, which made that make belief land all the more real.

Post #: 129
- 28/3/2011 9:38:43 PM   
lukejt02

After all the dodgy reviews was a bit hesitant about seeing it as I was really looking forward to it, and thankfully I really enjoyed it.
It's got Burton all over it, love all the characters and the style that makes Burtons movies so great.

Post #: 130
RE: - 3/5/2011 12:26:17 AM   
KeithM

Alice in Wonderland

I'm actually a little surprised how much I enjoyed this. I haven't liked anything Burton's done in years (Sleepy Hollow was maybe the last thing he did I liked), but this was not bad at all. Properly Burton-esque odd, but avoids overdoing it to the point of distraction. And, apart from one brief toe-curling moment, which is at least part of the story, no cringeworthy 'musical' interludes.

7/10

(in reply to lukejt02)
Post #: 131
RE: Oh no Tim - 4/5/2011 6:47:37 PM   
jwb818

This movie had its ups and downs...I would have to rate it as an average film. Depp did a better performance in the Pirates of the Caribbean but I did like the special effects in the movie and costumes looked good. I think they should have called it " Alice Returns To Wonderland" seeing as how this is the second time she has been there. I would give the movie a 7 and that is about it.

Jon 

how to make money by online
Make make money online ways

(in reply to rabbitportal)
Post #: 132
Alice in Wonderland Review - 11/5/2012 12:52:25 PM   
the film man

Tim Burton's Alice sacrifices the book's minimal narrative coherence and much of its heart, but it's an undeniable visual treat.

Post #: 133
- 12/10/2013 1:02:34 PM   
Darren47

A very interesting movie for very interesting reasons. There are a lot of ups and downs, but mainly a step down for Burton, who sacrifices soul for souless, bland, (though good) special effects. But the knowing Burton pulls it of. I'm just wondering what the actors were doing backstage.

Post #: 134
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Tim Burton's Best YET! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI