Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Who stole the soul?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Who stole the soul? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Who stole the soul? - 21/4/2010 3:26:51 AM   
empire No. 1

3* ? well done, Empire, your getting there. no need to mollycoddle your fave directors as they turn out non-stop GASH. get this shite out on dvd and lets all forget about it. no one REALLY likes it, as much as they (ive just spent 50 on this bollocks so lets all pretend we had a great time even though we have just seen - transformers 2 aside, the most shit-caked, revolting looking, gum bleeding tit wank excuse of a disney, thats right, a DISNEY film ) had ever seen. did burton actually view this pile before sending it out? id have burnt the prints! tim, PLEASE get over your warped affection for the U.K and stop mangling up our classics. and empire, dont encourage him please. 2* at the VERY most. me? competent crap 3/10

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 91
RE: Who stole the soul? - 22/4/2010 12:42:09 AM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: empire No. 1

3* ? well done, Empire, your getting there. no need to mollycoddle your fave directors as they turn out non-stop GASH. get this shite out on dvd and lets all forget about it. no one REALLY likes it, as much as they (ive just spent 50 on this bollocks so lets all pretend we had a great time even though we have just seen - transformers 2 aside, the most shit-caked, revolting looking, gum bleeding tit wank excuse of a disney, thats right, a DISNEY film ) had ever seen. did burton actually view this pile before sending it out? id have burnt the prints! tim, PLEASE get over your warped affection for the U.K and stop mangling up our classics. and empire, dont encourage him please. 2* at the VERY most. me? competent crap 3/10

HARSH!

Seriously, what's with the anger? It was a fun film! And I for one thought it looked great.
It's no masterpiece, I'll give you that, but I think people are letting their personal "disapprovals" of Burton's choices cloud their judgements a little. You can't just call something "tit wank", as lol worthy as that is, and leave it there. I may be a bit biased in that I've followed Burton's films avidly ever since Pee-Wee's Adventure but I am objective enough to admit he lost a lot of his magic after Mars Attacks!.

I do agree that he should let go of his UK influence and focus on projects more suited to his twisted sense of humour and style. Oh, and give other actors besides Johnny and Helena a chance. Bring back Michael Keaton, it's not like he's busy! lol

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to empire No. 1)
Post #: 92
RE: Who stole the soul? - 22/4/2010 5:33:22 AM   
empire No. 1

yeah, your right. it didnt require such rabid condemnation. it does stink though ! i sat through it 'til the credits, and didn't head out for popcorn (note, i despise popcorn munching idiots, and if i occasionally join their ranks its cos the movies so appauling, its that or herion) so i,ll concede i got carried away. but no change on my 3/10, just not such a rabid 3/10. hope burton's got over his "Britain rules" fetish like Madonna has, thank the lord

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 93
The Passion of the...Alice? - 22/4/2010 11:53:00 PM   
Edward Nygma

Alice is definitely not without its flaws and clunky bits here and there but I still don't think it "stinks". It's a lot like Return to Oz in many ways, you can't compare it to any other versions of that story, you just have to take it for what it is, a whole new story with a whole new take on every character. Anyway, lets agree to disagree. Out of 10 Id give it a 6 or a 7. But that's just me. I enjoyed it more than Kick Ass (sorry guys), Clash of the Titans (yawn) and Avatar (snore)...I was just bored during those three films tbh.

Might go see Kick Ass again one day though, the way people are raving about it I'm starting to think that I wasn't watching the same movie...

Btw why are you talking about popcorn? lol

You can't hate peope who eat popcorn at the movies! Popcorn and movies go together like religion and funny hats! Please redirect your anger/hate towards those who find that eating NACHOS in a movie theatre is appropriate and makes sense!!!

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to empire No. 1)
Post #: 94
RE: The Passion of the...Alice? - 23/4/2010 12:13:12 AM   
empire No. 1

popcorn + kiddie flick, like kick ass, no prob's, popcorn + a clockwork orange? GET THE F*** OUTTA HERE, you fucking disrespectful fool. you are wise enough to judge, friend.

Post #: 95
Not childish enough? - 16/5/2010 12:46:47 PM   
Bente

I thought the movie was really good actually. I could wish for more childish humor and a better plot, but the movie itself was so good made that I had a good time watching it. If Johnny Depp don't get a price for his role as Tha Mad Hatter, I don't know... He was really good! His and Mia's preformances made the movie.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 96
Well I liked it. I plan to forever - 17/5/2010 8:59:31 AM   
monkeyhumour

So not many people gave a hoot for the film
But I did, a wonderful connection to the original cartoon. I plan to watch them both in a row, it'll be a doozy

Post #: 97
Tim Burton does it again!!! - 17/5/2010 9:01:46 AM   
monkeyhumour

And so do the whole cast

Post #: 98
Return to the wonderful wonderland - 17/5/2010 9:02:23 AM   
monkeyhumour

Thank you tim for doing it again

Post #: 99
Return to the wonderful wonderland - 17/5/2010 9:02:25 AM   
monkeyhumour

Thank you tim for doing it again

Post #: 100
Absolute Genuis - 17/5/2010 9:03:01 AM   
monkeyhumour

No matter what people say it was just fantastic

Post #: 101
A Great time at the movies - 17/5/2010 9:03:58 AM   
monkeyhumour

Especially in 3D
I wish I could give it six stars

Post #: 102
A Terrific triumph - 17/5/2010 9:04:57 AM   
monkeyhumour

Here I go again. But I can't tell you the euphoria this film gave me

It is sooo remarkable

Post #: 103
Hats off to Tim Burton Again - 17/5/2010 9:05:58 AM   
monkeyhumour

He's as mad as a hatter. And I adore him for it

A visual trimph and with wonderful performaces

Post #: 104
Alice in Wonderland Delivers - 17/5/2010 9:07:00 AM   
monkeyhumour

On all levels

A 10/10

Wow what a perfect movie

Post #: 105
Alice in Wonderland is WONDERFUL - 17/5/2010 9:08:09 AM   
monkeyhumour

Totally freakin Wonderful!!!!!!

Get off your asses and watch it!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 106
Alice and Wonderland - 18/5/2010 10:42:21 PM   
Soprano168

Despite Burton's wild imagination it never really comes together and was frankly quite a bore. On te up note the girl who played Alice was great.

Post #: 107
- 19/5/2010 1:16:14 AM   
ARmy2510

The worst Burton movie to date. Beautiful but boring and stupid.

Post #: 108
Classic Tim Burton but not Classic - 1/6/2010 8:42:49 PM   
mojojojo

Saw it in 2D and mostly enjoyed it. Sets stunning and everything looked beautiful, but story was WTF, and Mr Depp was more Mr Bean than Mad Hatter.

Post #: 109
Madly Terrible - 2/6/2010 5:15:42 PM   
JohnPaul1996

Although,Wonderland looked brilliant.It was terrible,Alice reacted the exact same way to everything,the funny parts weren't funny and it was just so lazy.I realize that it was for children and it shouldn't require any thought to follow,but it was just so over the top downright stupid.I wanted to leave the cinema so much but my dad surprisingly liked it.It was so predictable,it was narnia except worse and with a dose of Tim Burton.
The Mad Hatter dance at the end wanted me to smack my head against the wall.

Post #: 110
as Burtonesque as one could wish for ???? - 3/6/2010 4:26:46 AM   
Toursiveu2

I don't agree with that. A really good Tim Burton film usually deals with the condition of being a freak, an outcast. Had Tim Burton made this film in the beginning of the 90's, The Red Queen would not have been the grotesque villain of the piece but a real interesting and tragic character.

And please, most of the time it doesn't even LOOK like a Tim Burton movie. It's so coloured that it looks more like a Joel Schumacher Batman film. CGI is the worst enemy of Tim Burton's cinema!

In my opinion, this is by no means a disaster but I'm sad that I forgot everything about this movie as soon as it was finished. Since when does a Tim Burton film gives you no emotion at all??? I remember crying the first time I saw Edward Scissorhands, being incredibly moved by the Johnny Depp - Patricia Arquette House of Horror dialogue in Ed Wood... Here, nothing...

The guy made at least 6 timeless masterpieces : Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, Ed Wood, Nightmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd. We all know what a genius Tim Burton is.

But the problem with Burton now is that he's become "the official nutjob"... he's become a brand rather than a flesh and blood director. And his films since Planet of the Apes (with the possible exception of Sweeney Todd) have been huge disappointments to all his hardcore fans... That being said, I hope that he doesn't make his next movie after Frankenweenie at Disney's and that the next one will be a return to form.

< Message edited by Toursiveu2 -- 3/6/2010 4:27:40 AM >

Post #: 111
Alice in wonderland - 4/6/2010 10:57:40 AM   
Alsadairp

I good is film

Post #: 112
Alice in wonderland - 4/6/2010 10:58:24 AM   
Alsadairp

I good is film

Post #: 113
RE: Alice in wonderland - 5/6/2010 8:25:43 PM   
Sphinx

I enjoyed it, Johnny Depp seems to enjoy channeling rock stars at the mo' - Robert Plant and Bono next time pretty please! - This time it's Ziggy Stardust, no spiders, no planet Mars just in Underland, tea check, the raven and the writing desk, check....split personality disorder....didn't see that coming. A very sexy glasgow accent I have to say.

So this is like return to Oz only not as conclusive, Alice is not liking the idea of forced engagements so she runs after the white rabbit - as you do - back into the hole leading to wonderland. Only she's forgottten everything including her destiny to slay the jabberwocky and return the crown from Red (Nutty Bohman-Carter) to White (Anne Hathaway who looks like she wants to ballet dance the whole way through - good accent though.

Support from Michael Sheen Stephen Fry whose really quite brilliant as 'chess' Babs Windsor as Mally was lovely, lovely casting as she's no-nonsense.

Burton is as Burton does - A closeted goth who happens to direct films.....quite good ones!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Alsadairp)
Post #: 114
Almost 4 stars... - 5/6/2010 11:31:58 PM   
IJustWantToBeAHero

A visual treat to the eyes, and a predictably perfect voice cast to the ears...plus Johnny & Helena. Tim Burton's long-awaited venture into Wonderland, dominantly doesn't disappoint. Alice's character IS NOT boring and ill-performed, but dreamy and endearing. Depp provides a neat performance as the Mad Hatter, stop thinking "it's Johnny again" and you'll only enjoy it more. And Helena Bonham-Carter fits well as the Blackadder-Queenie styled role of the Red queen. The stand-out criticisms notably lie within minor script issues, a tad too much Disney-emphasizing the family-friendly fun and provoking a rushed out awkward ending, unnecessary 3D (30% colour loss makes a difference)...Oh and, any excited excpectations of leaving the film in the presence of Danny elfman are sat on by Avril Lavigne.

< Message edited by IJustWantToBeAHero -- 6/6/2010 12:16:04 AM >

Post #: 115
RE: The Passion of the...Alice? - 6/6/2010 8:54:54 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Hey,i love Nachos!!!
Extra peppers please!
No anti-Nacho sentiment here please...besides,the worst offenders at cinemas are those who bring their friggin huge plastic bags full of even smaller plastic bags while us silent nacho eaters sit there trying to figure out Burton's latest ego-fest()-just kiddin!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

Post #: 116
RE: The Passion of the...Alice? - 6/6/2010 1:28:08 PM   
bozo

I enjoyed Tim Burton's latest. I little CGI-heavy, but fun and original.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 117
RE: The Passion of the...Alice? - 6/6/2010 4:27:25 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

I enjoyed Tim Burton's latest. I little CGI-heavy, but fun and original.

Agreed.

Watched it this morning for the first time on BD and it was thoroughly enjoyable, silly and decent fantasy popcorn entertainment.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 118
RE: The Passion of the...Alice? - 7/6/2010 12:37:20 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

And enjoyable Nacho fantasy!
It's not that bad,there are worse films out there.
It would be better to see in the cinema though.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 119
- 10/6/2010 9:00:32 PM   
djphilips

Alice in Wonderland definitely isn't for everyone.
Woolverton and Burton together create a world so strange and outright bonkers that it's easy to forget that there are themes and characters in there too. But it's talented stuff nonetheless, as Woolverton paints a beautiful film which is always open to debate and Burton delivers a spectacle which is undeniably entertaining. The cast gives its all also, as the various voice acting is immensely superb and Johnny Depp portrays a character which in the hands of a lesser actor would have seemed quite bland. Bonham Carter, Wasikowska and Hathaway follow perfectly suite.
Ultimately, it's quite difficult to describe Alice in Wonderland in a nutshell. Check out if you're a fan of Burton and Co, or if you're familiar with the material, and approach with caution if you're just curious. I enjoyed the film, and these four stars are given because of the substantial talent on show here.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Who stole the soul? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI