Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 1:26:48 PM   
jackcarter

not a low budget tv show but give it a decent budget and make a film (keeping it british like Potter or Bond but made with american money, big studio) - do away with alot of the manic technobabble and campy kiddie tone and make it more like i dunno - Back the the Future with aliens or something...get back to the timetravel aspect of it all.

they tried to do something like that with the 1996 tv movie with Eric Roberts but it didnt really work..

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 1/3/2010 1:33:30 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 1:43:27 PM   
jcthefirst

Because it is, and always will be, a TV show. And in my opinion is all the better for it. I don't think a film version would work.

Also, isn't Doctor Who one of the biggest budget British TV show's?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 2
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 1:52:51 PM   
JIm R

If your going to request american finance to support a very British instituion then you need to make it with american audience sensibilities which goes against all that Dr Who stands for, it's beauty exists in it's confined but warmly received limitations, and as jc says, it works with it's heritage because it plays too it's strengths, get some americcan producers on board and you'll see the Dr we know broken up and made into a product unrecognisable from it's roots for an mass audience that don't care or understand it's foundations.

No thanks

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 3
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 1:52:54 PM   
Rgirvan44

They made two Doctor Who movies in the 1960s.

The best think about the show is that week in, week out each adventure can be totally different from the other. Now, that is not to say you could not do a Doctor Who movie like that, but three years for a single adevnture is hardly keeping in with the feel of the character.

And the 1990s movie was a pilot. Really need to see that again.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 1/3/2010 1:53:29 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 4
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 1:57:12 PM   
jcthefirst

The 8th Doctor telemovie was on a few weeks ago on Watch.

I watched it, and thought it was pretty awful. Epitomised everything I believe would be wrong with what the first post is suggesting.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 2:02:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

Also - the new show has done some great stuff with time travel - look at Blink. The show is pretty varied in tone, sometimes campy and goofy, and sometimes serious and thoughtful. That is what is so great about the show.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 6
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 3:03:08 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Because it is, and always will be, a TV show. And in my opinion is all the better for it. I don't think a film version would work.

star trek?

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 7
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 3:44:14 PM   
jcthefirst

Already American.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 8
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 5:22:04 PM   
genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Also, isn't Doctor Who one of the biggest budget British TV show's?

Yes doctor who is one of the most expensive british TV shows and I have to wonder where the budget goes as it looks cheap and nasty a lot of the time.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 9
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 5:29:51 PM   
relativelyrelative

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

not a low budget tv show but give it a decent budget and make a film (keeping it british like Potter or Bond but made with american money, big studio) - do away with alot of the manic technobabble and campy kiddie tone and make it more like i dunno - Back the the Future with aliens or something...get back to the timetravel aspect of it all.

they tried to do something like that with the 1996 tv movie with Eric Roberts but it didnt really work..

OK. So. You have a big mac right? A big mac has all this dressing that makes it taste nice, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, two patties, and all between toasted bread buns. except you don't like veg. So. you take out the lettuce and tomatoes, and the pickles, and then discover that you're lactose intolerant - so you take away the cheese. so you've taken away the cheese, when you realise you're not all that hungry, and so open the burger and take out the meat pattie.

Is it still a big mac, jack? No jack, it isn't. It most certainly i snot a big mac, it's just an ordinary shitty burger with none of the things that make it mildly enjoyable considering it's a transfat loaded piece of turd from an evil megacorporation.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 10
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 5:41:33 PM   
anakin solo

the reason why won't make a good movie of doctor who, because it would be like the series that had tennant in it but longer, they would bring the daleks in the movie and he would forgive davros and give him a hug. But what would be good movieplot is a more menacing master who is really evil not like john simms who just laughed all the time and used sith lightning to kill random people but someone who can really test the doctor's abilities and perhaps be a bit more darker than he has been.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to relativelyrelative)
Post #: 11
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 5:51:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

I suppose I am just wondering - why?

Why a movie? And why a movie that would take away many of the things that makes Doctor Who the show that it is. It is a bit campy, it is a bit silly and the kids love it.

You would be making a movie where the hero doesn't fight, and tries his best to help both friend and foe. Its not really a simply sell for a big multi million pound movie.

I would rather have a TV show that tried for the stars and didn't always win, than a big budget movie that would dilute what makes the show so popular.

Also, Blink is one of the best time travel stories out there.

(in reply to anakin solo)
Post #: 12
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 6:33:49 PM   
target

quote:

ORIGINAL: relativelyrelative

quote:

OK. So. You have a big mac right? A big mac has all this dressing that makes it taste nice, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, two patties, and all between toasted bread buns. except you don't like veg. So. you take out the lettuce and tomatoes, and the pickles, and then discover that you're lactose intolerant - so you take away the cheese. so you've taken away the cheese, when you realise you're not all that hungry, and so open the burger and take out the meat pattie.

Is it still a big mac, jack? No jack, it isn't. It most certainly i snot a big mac, it's just an ordinary shitty burger with none of the things that make it mildly enjoyable considering it's a transfat loaded piece of turd from an evil megacorporation.

It's wasn't a big mac in the first place, they don't have tomatoes.

Surely a movie will happen one day? i mean look at Hitch Hikers guide. That was ok, kind of half way between British and American.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to relativelyrelative)
Post #: 13
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 7:18:19 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

It's wasn't a big mac in the first place, they don't have tomatoes.

Surely a movie will happen one day? i mean look at Hitch Hikers guide. That was ok, kind of half way between British and American.

yes thats what id expect if they ever do a Who movie - big studio, biggish budget, state of the art FX, british actor headlining, the odd biggish name star supporting, british director and writers etc...cameos from the odd previous Dr Who actors etc

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 1/3/2010 9:07:52 PM >

(in reply to target)
Post #: 14
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 7:23:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

Again - why?

They already tell some great time travel stories. What does more money and American actors bring to Who?

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 15
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 9:04:23 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Again - why?

They already tell some great time travel stories. What does more money and American actors bring to Who?

Who on a bigger scale - like the star trek movies

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 1/3/2010 11:41:52 PM   
will1000

...because Dr Who is balls...

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 17
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 2/3/2010 1:19:46 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

Also, Blink is one of the best time travel stories out there.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 18
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 2/3/2010 10:18:28 AM   
The Hooded Man

It's the best science-fiction series ever, why mess with a winning formula?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 19
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 2/3/2010 11:54:35 AM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

every series turns into a movie eventually - why should Who miss out?

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 20
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 2/3/2010 12:33:21 PM   
spark1

quote:

quote:

Again - why?

Who on a bigger scale - like the star trek movies

i like the trek movies but accept that they are more action orientated than the OS or TNG shows so lose the more contempletive ideas of the tv eps. plus they just don't do any exploring of 'strange, new worlds' on the big screen either.

think they might do the same to 'dr who to make it more accessible to mainstream US audience.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 21
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 2/3/2010 3:25:20 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

quote:

every series turns into a movie eventually - why should Who miss out?

Because it doesn't need to, television as a medium is the equal of cinema these days if not the superior given the recent standard of output of the two. A film would be just for the sake of having a film, plus you would be under pressure immediately to make sure you use an iconic villain like the Daleks etc and what would you do with them that hasn't already been done before?

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 22
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 2/3/2010 4:22:28 PM   
Edward Nygma

I actually don't think it's that bad an idea. They did it for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I thought the film was a lot of fun. Besides, if we're honest, Dr Who is pretty nonsensical, boring and overall poorly acted and executed (please don't hurt me). In the past it definitely had a kind of campy charm, like the old Star Trek or Batman series, but now it's just dull. A film could make it more than what it is and perhaps fix some of its inherent flaws.

Just a thought.

Ben. Affleck.

Post #: 23
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 2/3/2010 4:35:38 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

I actually don't think it's that bad an idea. They did it for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I thought the film was a lot of fun. Besides, if we're honest, Dr Who is pretty nonsensical, boring and overall poorly acted and executed (please don't hurt me). In the past it definitely had a kind of campy charm, like the old Star Trek or Batman series, but now it's just dull. A film could make it more than what it is and perhaps fix some of its inherent flaws.

Just a thought.

Why would you want to see a film of something that you find nonsensical, boring, poorly acted and executed?

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 24
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 2/3/2010 7:12:20 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

quote:

Just a thought.

Why would you want to see a film of something that you find nonsensical, boring, poorly acted and executed?

like star trek the concept is great...it deserves to be done on a much grander scale

Post #: 25
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 3/3/2010 12:30:46 AM   
will1000

erm...because Dr Who is balls...still

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 26
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 3/3/2010 1:49:07 AM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

quote:

Just a thought.

As I said before: A film could make it more than what it is and perhaps fix some of its inherent flaws.

If a film somehow manages to do just that, then yes I might give it a go. As it stands with the TV series though, I am indeed not interested.

Ben. Affleck.

Post #: 27
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 3/3/2010 10:13:29 AM   
The Hooded Man

So the logic is that we make a massively budgeted film for people who don't like the TV show in the first place? I can't see where that could possibly go wrong.
Plus I, and many more no doubt, would argue that programme doesn't suffer from as many inherent flaws as you say. Since its return in 2005, it's constantly been the best British programme on telly and the tone of it is a key part of the show's charm which for me makes it an inherent strength.
As for the argument that it needs to be done on a grand scale, how much grander does it need to get? In the last few years it has been epic in both grasp and reach. The work that the Mill has done is nothing short of extraordinary, especially for television.

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 3/3/2010 10:25:14 AM >

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 28
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 3/3/2010 11:24:01 AM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Seems to me to be a bit snobby towards tv.  Film isn't inherently better.  It clearly works on TV, why the need for a film? 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

Post #: 29
RE: why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? - 3/3/2010 12:10:41 PM   
lukeyboy

Yeah, i'd watch that!

Dr Who does have a certain amount of charm as a TV series in a similar way to the old Star Trek or Batman TV series, but unlike the other two it has never really had a chance to shine on the Silver Screen and been made into a big budget, star-studded mega movie! I think it has the potential to be a belter!

As stated in the original post, it would be prudent to keep it mainly British (other than the funding) so as not to piss-off the fanboys.........or my dad! but still try to get some well known faces in the lead roles. I liked the Dr Who's with an older gentleman as The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy was my favourite!) so i'm thinking someone like Sean Connery or Anthony Hopkins in the lead role, or if you want to go younger - how about Hugh Laurie or Sean Bean?

Have The Master as the main baddie with some re-imagined Daleks and Cybermen (modernised so they actually look slightly dangerous) for good measure and Bob's your uncle - you've got a big budget Hollywood-esque Dr Who movie! I'm booking my tickets now!

Oh, and the small matter of a half-decent plot as well!...........

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> why dont they make a *good* movie version of Dr Who? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI