Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
From Paris With Love - 27/2/2010 4:31:27 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Contains Violence Yeah Boy! - 27/2/2010 4:31:27 PM   
Bighousewill

It is true the plot is both simplistic and hard to follow. Contains some shocking violence and dark humour, also slightly racist in parts but altogether entertaining. Wax (Travolta) is the best thing in this film. I give it three and half stars. "YEAH BOY!"

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Contains Violence Yeah Boy! - 27/2/2010 4:31:28 PM   
Bighousewill

It is true the plot is both simplistic and hard to follow. Contains some shocking violence and dark humour, also slightly racist in parts but altogether entertaining. Wax (Travolta) is the best thing in this film. I give it three and half stars. "YEAH BOY!"

Post #: 3
Not the best script, but pretty damn decent - 27/2/2010 4:41:36 PM   
JaCk794

The plot strays alot, and it is hard to follow the script, but this film will not disapoint. This is basically 'shoot em up' with Cocaine and more comedy. Yeah, you heard right; cocaine. One of the characters tags along a vase full of high purity coke for 1/3rd of the movie: this is just One of those rediculous elements in this movie. Travolta is badass as usual. Basically a Bond spoof meets 'shoot em up.' If you like serious movies; this is not recommended.

Post #: 4
The New John McClane - 3/3/2010 3:20:40 PM   
crymsonnyte

Travolta kicks ass with hilarious one liners and a coolness not seen in a character since John McClane in the Die Hard series, if you loved that charecter than this is a must see, had me either thrilled or chuckling away to myself from the moment Wax appears, just live with the slow 15-20 minute opening and you're in for a blast.

Post #: 5
RE: The New John McClane - 5/3/2010 8:49:12 PM   
skeletonjack

Highly enjoyable throwback to the action movies of the 80's.
4 stars

(in reply to crymsonnyte)
Post #: 6
- 5/3/2010 9:04:21 PM   
UTB

"if Travolta can be bothered"

What does this mean, exactly? That he's lazy?

Post #: 7
RE: - 7/3/2010 4:15:38 PM   
Timon

I enjoyed it but did, rather strangely, seem to take itself a bit too seriously in places, namely the ending. However it was entertaining and the world needs more films with Travolta hamming it up whilst killing people.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 8
This Better Than Taken!? ARE YOU GUYS HIGH!?? - 12/3/2010 2:23:25 PM   
arkhams_finest

At the risk of stoking an old fire........ this is from the same directer of Taken.... and Taken was given 1 star on here..... and this pile ot utter crap was given 3 stars....this film was 3 times better than Taken!??? not even close!! Travolta has become a bad joke, a parady of a once decent actor, and isn't fit to lick Liam Neeson's boots....
Yet again Empires reviews leave me jaded... awesome movie news sections but consistantly awful awful reviews :'-(

Post #: 9
Did we all watch the same film here? - 17/3/2010 3:17:47 PM   
The Fanatic

Usually the Empire fan reviews result in a mix of opinions but it often boils down to one very similar to that of Empire’s own verdict. However, this time Empire has said that it was pretty ridiculous but at least good fun, whilst everyone else is saying that it’s the best thing since Die Hard? God help us all.
Between Travolta’s joke of a character and Rhys-Meyers worse acting performance to date, this film really couldn’t afford to take itself seriously. At all. And what does it do? It tries to become some kind of analysis for what makes suicide bombers tick and a deep character story with emotional triggers. If it had said to its audience, “we’re just here to blow stuff up and have some fun” then I could have appreciated this, I would have seen the film I was hoping to see, but instead it threw up this rubbish all over my expectations.
Listening to the writing of this film was about as comfortable an experience as trying to tell a really depressed ugly person that they are actually beautiful, and the whole film was riddled with errors and stupidity beyond belief. Travolta looks through his binoculars the wrong way round, the wheels on the cars change from scene to scene, that idiot ambassador woman for no good reason explains that she wants to head straight into a terrorist attack because she’s busy with her paper work, cars being driven by people explode and show the audience in slow motion that there is suddenly nobody driving them. What the hell were these people thinking and why did so many valued readers of Empire like this crap?

Post #: 10
So over-the-top it becomes destracting - 10/4/2010 9:51:21 AM   
djphilips

Those of you familiar with my reviews will know by now that I have no problem with over-the-top films. Sure, I mention it as a warning to whom it may be a turn-off, but it surely doesn't affect the final rating. But I have found my limit with From Russia With Love.
Everything about the film screams over-the-top. I have serious doubt whether people similar to John Travolta's (perfectly on form here, by the way) character actually exist and how someone like Rhys-Meyers' one could go through all the things he does and be totally fine with it the next day. Not to mention that the plot is outright ludicrous, but I enjoy films such as Pirates of the Caribbean and 2012, so no bickering there.
But Pierre Morel ultimately creates one of the most entertaining - but of course lacking in substance - experiences of the year, and I cannot help but recommend it to all those who are looking for a good night out together with their friends.

Post #: 11
Great fun! - 24/5/2010 9:02:42 AM   
batbhai

Johnny needs to go for a diet, but his karate in this age amazes me

Post #: 12
A BLAST! - 7/8/2010 12:27:00 AM   
chrisdagnall

TOP-QUALITY FRIDAY NIGHT MOVIE!

Post #: 13
Awful - 8/8/2010 9:58:27 AM   
buttmonki

**SPOILERS HEREIN**

I am not sure if I just watched the same movie? 'The New John McClane'???!!! Yes Travolta does come out with a bunch of one liners, but they are terrible! The jokey burger thing, please...

In fact both Travolta and Rhys Meyers were terrible in this movie. Also I am confused, was this meant to be a deep and meaningful movie about suicide bombers and the slums in Paris? Or was it meant to be a humorous buddy cop movie? Unfortunately I think the people that created this movie were more confused than me.

Oh and why do they bother with twists at the end like this spouses are always either kidnapped or murdered. If by the middle of the movie they haven't been then they are spies. I want a movie where the spouse works in a bakery, walks the dog and goes to coffee mornings with friends. If you want to spice it up then she can have an affair with her personal trainer at the gym (no he's not a spy either!!!). She can do all this without getting killed or killing someone else.

Post #: 14
RE: Awful - 17/8/2010 4:31:47 PM   
jonson

I should write a review of sorts but it really wasn't worth it. Awful, awful, awful.
1 star is being generous, at one point I was actually embarassed watching it. 

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to buttmonki)
Post #: 15
- 3/11/2010 12:02:52 PM   
reminn

Excellent.

Post #: 16
- 12/4/2011 9:36:09 PM   
TheGodfather

From Paris With Love
When you look up "over the top action film" in a film dictionary you`ll probably find the synopsis from From Paris With Love.
A thin plot wich allows you to put your mind to rest, don`t have to think to much about nothing and give in to the action that director Morel has in store for you.
A special mention needs to go out to John Travolta who gives his coolest performance since Vince Vega (including his Royale with cheese).
6,5/10

Post #: 17
Great fun - 13/7/2012 9:44:12 PM   
danielthompson99

Good romp through Paris with a totally wacky JT on top form. Lots of excellent action sequences, buddy buddy one liners and the usual high octane car chase that you can expect from this genre.
Total tosh, if you are happy to watch a silly actioner, then you won't go far wrong.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> From Paris With Love Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI