Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Crazies

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Crazies Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Crazies - 26/2/2010 11:06:13 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Wow - 26/2/2010 11:06:13 AM   
chris wootton

What an insightful review. Thanks for nothing

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Crazies - 26/2/2010 12:15:35 PM   
Clarence_Worley

If I haven't already grown tired of Empire over recent years, its things like this that are continually pushing me away. It seems as if the reviewer hasnt even watched the film, just read a brief outline and given their not-so-insightful opinion. Total Film is pissing on Empire, I'm sorry.

Post #: 3
RE: The Crazies - 26/2/2010 12:40:39 PM   
CORLEONE

Yeah, thanks for that. Short, but pointless.

I'll go with the rest of the world's 4 star reviews.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 4
- 26/2/2010 12:43:24 PM   
markasmarv

Did you actually get paid for that "review"?

Post #: 5
WTF - 26/2/2010 5:21:35 PM   
IRONLUNG

I normally enjoy reading reviews from empire but have to agree with what has been said before.....you actually got paid for that? I hope it isn't per word! Piss poor indeed. Judging by infinitely better written reviews, on websites that don't hide said reviews I might add, this is meant to be a ruddy good movie and I for one am going to scare the shit out of my girlfriend with this tomorrow night!

Post #: 6
RE: WTF - 26/2/2010 10:41:25 PM   
matthewforan

I saw the film today and was pretty impressed with it and the lead guy whose name escapes me at the moment. I recall kind of liking him in The Girl Next Door but in this he really seemed to step up. It was pretty similar to the recent Dawn of the Dead remake, in tone, feel, frights not to mention Johnny Cash in the opening credits. If you're a fan of the DotD remake then I would urge you to go see it as it was a good fun fright movie. I just hope that the Walking Dead tv series is as good.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to IRONLUNG)
Post #: 7
Not too bad at all - 27/2/2010 1:59:25 AM   
robjamesgriffin

A remake in the style of 2004s "Dawn of the Dead". Spares itself from remake hell by not trying to make itself "artsy" or being politically apt. A good thrill ride of a film and no more

Post #: 8
RE: Not too bad at all - 27/2/2010 1:52:52 PM   
bojangles1971

Shitty Review. Film would have been better though if it began with a K. "The Krazies". Like "The Krankies"

(in reply to robjamesgriffin)
Post #: 9
Horror Remake - 27/2/2010 4:44:34 PM   
Bighousewill

Romeros original played out like a bad trip on acid. The 2010 remake seems to go from one set piece to the next with some gorenography thrown in for good measure. If you liked The Mist you might like this. And it doesnt help my mild phobia of remote small town hicks and red necks and such things.

Post #: 10
RE: The Crazies - 27/2/2010 6:41:55 PM   
captainrentboy

Well for a movie that I thought looked mighty promising from the trailers if ever so slightly unoriginal, that was one hell of a brief 'review'.
I'm pretty sure you can get any old chump off the street to write down a movie's basic plotline and leave it at that, that is what's supposed to make Empire stand out from the other review sources widely available, y'know, the quality of the actual staff writing. Yet there wasn't a whole lot of opinion going on in that review was there?
Ohh well, a 3/5 from this guy and a 4/5 from Total Film, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Post #: 11
RE: The Crazies - 28/2/2010 11:32:11 AM   
bojangles1971

It was this self same stupid c*nt who gave Pearl Harbour four stars!

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 12
RE: The Crazies - 28/2/2010 6:24:42 PM   
captainrentboy

Just got back from seeing it, it's knocking on a 4/5 but I'll give it a 3.5.
Some really tense and exciting sequences throughout, nice amount of blood and guts for the gorehounds out there, and it doesn't mess about getting to the meatier section of the plot, I think it was like 5-10 minutes or so before everything kicks off and it doesn't really ever let up from there. Timothy Olyphant has been better in my opinion, some of his reactions and line deliveries just seemed a little off, but he's still watchable. Mitchell was more believable as the wife tagging along through the middle of all the chaos. (Her sequence where she's strapped down to a hospital bed is definitely one of the more 'edge of your seat' parts) The effects, both practical and CG, are very good throughout and there's some nice cinematography for something that I'm guessing didn't have that big of a budget.
On the negative side, It wasn't as jumpy as I expected it to be and there was a lot more focus on the military/containment side of the story than I thought there would've been but overall it's far better than most of the 'horror' shite that has come out of Hollywood as of late.

Post #: 13
RE: The Crazies - 1/3/2010 10:49:29 PM   
Dr Lenera

Yet another remake of a horror film, this at least has the advantage in that the original movie, whist a solid effort by zombie maestro George Romero, had a fair bit of room for improvement. It was basically a riff on his earlier Night Of The Living Dead, with zombies replaced by people driven to kill by a virus, and with quite a bit of social comment. This version follows the plot of the original surprisingly closely whilst staying away from recreating actual scenes. It retains something of a 70s feel, with the action fairly low key and it all handled reasonably realistically, and like the original ends in a downbeat [if slightly different] manner. Acting improves considerably on the shaky performances in Romero's film and there are a few tense and nasty sequences, most notably one in a room where strapped down women are at the mercy of a 'crazy' with a pitchfork. This is a solid, pacy and intelligent [though there's little social comment here unless it was too subtle for me to notice] effort but it just lacks the spary and invention to make it stand out amidst the glut of zombie and zombie-variant films around at the moment.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 14
- 2/3/2010 10:38:33 AM   
nclowe

Really enjoyed this film! Why Timothy Olyphant isn't a bigger star I'll never understand.

Post #: 15
RE: - 2/3/2010 10:52:34 AM   
Clarence_Worley

Obviously this film isn't good enough to appear on the main Empire page 

(in reply to nclowe)
Post #: 16
Meh. - 2/3/2010 2:44:22 PM   
Reaps

If you guys spend more time actually reviewing films instead of just writing generic plot outlines and tagging it with a one sentence verdict then we might have a worthwhile online magazine. Instead, i may as well be reading News Of The World or some other British rag. Luckily I saw the film..and it's pretty damn good ! VERDICT. Stop spouting boring random inane babble onTwitter Empire and actually write something worth our time reading.

Post #: 17
- 2/3/2010 6:19:11 PM   
skeletonjack

Proof that it is possible in this day and age to produce a decent horror remake. Please take note Platinum Dunes. 4 stars

Post #: 18
RE: - 2/3/2010 7:46:07 PM   
Ethanial

An absolutely fantastic film, it's not perfect, but it surpasses nigh on most films in the cinema right now or all year.

Dark, tense, well made film that doesn't always resort to the horrible jump moments to freak you out, because you care enough about the characters that you want them to survive, no wonder it has Paramount Vantage on it, no studio would want this under just their own label, it has to be hidden under the 'indie' wing, cos, god forbid people realise good horror isn't gore and tits.
9/10

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 19
RE: The Crazies - 3/3/2010 10:47:37 AM   
demoncleaner

Left undistracted, probably due to the cancellation of American Idol and sundry gameshows the average ordinary American will shoot or burn you.  Similarly the military, with nothing better to do, will probably shoot and/or burn you.  Itís only a matter of time.  And this is the cautionary fable of The Crazies.  While not awful as such, it still marks a creative downturn when horror remakes can only muster the ambition to emulate other horror remakes.  Perhaps Brett Eisner grew up with Zak Snyderís Dawn of the Dead.  Perhaps heís 12.

2/5

Post #: 20
RE: RE: - 3/3/2010 8:30:38 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I agree with one of the guy's above.

Two thumbs up from me. I'd give it 3.5. It's exciting, nice to look at and has some great jump moments. Overall it feels like a four star film trying to take off which never really gets the chance to.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***
Post #: 21
RE: The Crazies - 3/3/2010 8:35:00 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Too much shit hype!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

Post #: 22
RE: The Crazies - 3/3/2010 8:37:10 PM   
hampstead bandit

Too much shit hype!

you said the same thing about Alice in Wonderland - nothing new to say hey Timmy?

I saw The Crazies on Monday and found it enjoyable

not a "classic" but a good, solid 3/5 film

and its got a f*cking NUKE at the end..maybe that bumps it up to 3.5/5!!!

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 23
RE: RE: - 3/3/2010 9:38:59 PM   
Ethanial

quote:

ORIGINAL: The_Navy_Way

Sorry to call you out on these comments, but IIRC, the Crazies has plenty of cheap "jump-shock" moments, quite a bit of gore, but yeah - no tits (which is a bad thing in my book!)

I agree with the review - 3 stars is about right...it's nothing original (the Government want to cover this up?! shock horror!) it's a serviceable film at best.

Whilst it does have some, it doesn't have as much as the last few 'horror' films I subjected myself to, it actually varied enough to make me forget about them in place of the feeling and atmosphere given.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.
Post #: 24
RE: RE: - 4/3/2010 8:52:47 AM   
CORLEONE

One of the best horror remakes if not THE best. Olyphant great (as usual), Radha Mitchell never looked hotter, some 'jump' moments, but much more tension. Crazies are better than Zombies too; they get weapons!

Really enjoyed it - 4 stars.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 25
hampstead bandit - 4/3/2010 9:26:40 AM   
chris wootton

Thanks a lot. You just told me the end... Gonad!

Post #: 26
RE: The Crazies - 5/3/2010 10:22:20 AM   
geryhostone

I am also new here and i am still in the process of learning things in this site. I just accidentally saw the site and i registered
the weider x factor

Post #: 27
RE: The Crazies - 5/3/2010 12:23:47 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: geryhostone

I am also new here and i am still in the process of learning things in this site. I just accidentally saw the site and i registered
the weider x factor

Are you one the Crazies?

(in reply to geryhostone)
Post #: 28
Quite boring and repetitive... - 6/3/2010 8:58:17 AM   
The kUrGaN

I found this to be quite boring and repetitive. It just goes round in circles and doesn't really go anywhere, dragging out what little story there is. It's starts out promising but once the mystery is revealed it's film over.

Post #: 29
RE: No way... - 6/3/2010 10:16:40 PM   
anakin solo

Their is no way that the crazies is repetitive, the film had loads of things that were each different like the infected each displaying the systems of being infected like locking his own family in a cupboard then setting the house on fire and whistling, another randomly killing people strapped to gurneys with a huge ass rake. Timothy olyphant was great as the tortured hero who wants to protect his pregnant wife, and showed that he was as good as he was in a perfect getaway. A dark movie wih some great and unexpected shocks that made me jump a couple of times.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to The kUrGaN)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Crazies Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI