Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Britannia rules those waves..

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Britannia rules those waves.. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
[Poll]

Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina?

Yes
  18% (15)
No
  58% (48)
Not Sure
  7% (6)
It's Not as easy as that!
  15% (13)

Total Votes : 82

(last vote on : 31/3/2013 4:10:26 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 11:22:49 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Anyone see that muppet Galloway on This Week last night?

He was advocating joint sovereignty over the islands. Do a deal to split the oil. He was under the impression that the rest of Latin America would be suitably p!ssed off by the UK telling "the lovely" Argie boss wifie to poke it that they'd go all Trade Federation on our Naboo asses. The whole of South America refusing to trade with us would be a pain the hole.

Of course, it was Galloway speaking so the chances of any truth in it are slim.

I canna see the UK playing well with others on this.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say here.

The Argie leader wifie. German sounding name. Galloway fancies the pants off her. He was about drooling on the floor talking about her. She seems popular. Popular enough, according to gorgeous George, to rally the Latin Americans into collectively flipping the UK the bird.

The Phantom Menace. Trade embargo. 'cept p'raps without the droid ships. South America not buying from or selling to the UK. South Amercia = Trade Federation. Naboo = UK.

Ken?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 121
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 11:40:49 PM   
Deviation

What does wifie mean? Does it mean wife or woman, because the current Argentinean leader cannot have a wife since Kirchner is a woman in a country that from what I know, does not allow gay marriage.

I like his idea that all Latin America are best of friends who'll support Argentina though, it's not like those countries have their own personal hatred and problems between with each other and Argentina and that Chile already went against that country on the Falklands matter.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 122
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 11:48:25 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Ken?

Ryu-Ken?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 123
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 11:53:13 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

What does wifie mean? Does it mean wife or woman, because the current Argentinean leader cannot have a wife since Kirchner is a woman in a country that from what I know, does not allow gay marriage.

It means woman, as in wee wifie. Said wee wifie does not necessarily need to be married.

Although I think it'd be rare to refer to a Paula Abdul lookalike as a wifie tbh

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 124
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 11:59:11 PM   
Deviation

Ah ok, I was finding it quite weird. Damn it boaby not everyone is Scottish or from Great Britain here!

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 125
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 3/3/2012 12:08:14 AM   
boaby

A wifie is a woman that appears old enough to have been married for a fair whiley. An "al' wifie" is an old woman. Ye dinna get young wifies. A "quine" is a young woman, an eligible bachelorette. A lassie is girl or teenager. That's rainbow of Scots terms for women. I think.

Oh, and "Ken?" is an abbreviation for "ken fit I mean?" which means "Do you know what I mean?"

It's nae that hard. Ken?

Pinochet's Chile went against the military junta in Argentina. I've nae a scooby about intra-continental relations in South America these days, nor have I ever.

Paula Abdul look-a-like? Paula Abdul look-a-like who has too near to the fire for too long.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 126
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 3/3/2012 12:35:34 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

Oh, and "Ken?" is an abbreviation for "ken fit I mean?" which means "Do you know what I mean?"

It's nae that hard. Ken?

Yeah, I knew that, I was just being an arse.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 127
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 3/3/2012 12:38:30 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Although I think it'd be rare to refer to a Paula Abdul lookalike as a wifie tbh

I think she looks more like Sharon Osbourne. In some pictures she looks closer to Ozzy.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 128
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 3/3/2012 12:43:24 AM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

It's nae that hard. Ken?

Yeah, I knew that, I was just being an arse.

Nivver! Ye d'a say min. Nae affa like ye ava.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 129
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 3/3/2012 12:49:16 AM   
Hood_Man

Something about Jaffa Cakes?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 130
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 3/3/2012 12:51:15 AM   
elab49

Who knows. It's not as if other Scottish posters understand a word of it.

quote:

I think she looks more like Sharon Osbourne. In some pictures she looks closer to Ozzy.

I was trying not to make it quite so personal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 131
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 3/3/2012 1:03:35 AM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Something about Jaffa Cakes?

They taste orangey.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 132
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 3/3/2012 10:21:27 AM   
superdan

quote:

He was advocating joint sovereignty over the islands. Do a deal to split the oil. He was under the impression that the rest of Latin America would be suitably p!ssed off by the UK telling "the lovely" Argie boss wifie to poke it that they'd go all Trade Federation on our Naboo asses. The whole of South America refusing to trade with us would be a pain the hole.

Yeah, I saw that. To say Galloway was being obsequious toward Kirchner is being generous, lecherous would be closer. He loves the attention though, it's why he always takes a contrarian stance and also why he turned up on Big Brother. The guy is quite simply an egotistical prick, though he was a palate-cleanser after seeing that bigoted regency clown Starkey on QT.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 133
Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skies ab... - 4/3/2012 3:19:19 AM   
Emyr Thy King

David Starkey was entertaining and offered entertainment amongst the sanitised and pallid comments by his fellow panelists. Yes he made one or two daft comments, one being about women and their emotions. But he did get better. At least he didn't play to the audience with "applause" comments which become tiresome and dull to watch. And I have to say, his comments on the most part seemed to make the most sense. I would much rather trust a person who isn't afraid to attack an audience member and not be servile and pander to the audience than a panelist who's more interested in ticking the boxes and pandering to the audience with platitudes.

quote:

Which is more than can be said about Andrew *raise pitch* Neill and his toupée. Galloway's such a bad joke I wouldn't stuff him in a christmas cracker.

As for the ongoing tensions. I've been watching Sky News and it seems there is a certain mood to go on a war footing there. I can imagine Sky News's Tim Marshall excitedly getting out his 50-inch screen with flashy 3D graphics to explain the topography of the Falklands and provide a tactical and strategic overview before too long. Good as he is. If Argentina keeps applying greater economic pressure on the islands by continuing to stop those overflights and even harassing cruise ships then I don't see a detente anytime soon. Although I really can't see another war hotting up, despite Argentina sensing weakness due to us not having proper air projection because of the state of the Royal Navy.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 4/3/2012 3:25:05 AM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 134
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 4/5/2012 3:57:49 PM   
DancingClown

Wow, this is fairly low.

CLICKY

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 135
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 4/5/2012 5:40:58 PM   
sanchia

To use the Olympics specifically to score political points and especially war memorials is a pretty sick thing for any political institution to do. I guess it is another example of the drum being beaten.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 136
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 4/5/2012 8:00:55 PM   
Ghidorah

Just arrest him when he arrive and fly him back after being charged.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 137
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 4/5/2012 10:13:42 PM   
Ref

Argentinian Government showing their class there(!)

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 138
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 4/5/2012 10:25:41 PM   
boaby

I thought it was quite funny.

Rocky soundtrack would've been better. And, instead of "Draaaaaaaggoooooo!" bellowed at the end maybe a "Seebbbbbb Coooeeee!"

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 139
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 5/5/2012 1:02:45 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

Hmm....not sure the relatives of the soldiers on that war memorial would agree with that. There's making a political point...and then there's being tacky and classless. Not exactly setting themselves up for the warmest of welcomes in July are they?

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 140
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 5/5/2012 1:07:17 AM   
Deviation

I'm pretty sure this isn't the dumbest position Kirchner has taken recently.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 141
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 5/5/2012 11:06:42 AM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Hmm....not sure the relatives of the soldiers on that war memorial would agree with that. There's making a political point...and then there's being tacky and classless. Not exactly setting themselves up for the warmest of welcomes in July are they?

Of course it's tacky and classless. That's partly why it's funny. Along with the production quality, the soundtrack and that such a notion not only occurred to the Argentinian government but that they thought it was a good idea.

When are political videos ever intentionally funny?

It's not quite up there with thon American woman: "I am not a witch..."

Still made me chuckle though.

Post #: 142
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 5/5/2012 11:14:13 AM   
horribleives

I'd love to hear Sean Penn or Morrisey try to defend that.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 143
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 12/5/2012 8:18:32 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

No doubt they'll just ignore it.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 144
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 12/5/2012 8:55:19 AM   
jonson

I was playing in a golf comp last Friday with a friend who is a Falkland's vet (and he has some tragic stories to tell). Someone waved the front page of The Sun at him, I swear he hit his driver about 400 yards all day. I don't think I've ever witnessed steam coming out of someone's ears until then.

quote:

Sean Penn's opinion shouldn't be allowed to cross the water, and as for Morrisey, well he should go back to doing what he does best, if anyone ever works out what that is.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 145
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 12/5/2012 9:20:01 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I was playing in a golf comp last Friday with a friend who is a Falkland's vet (and he has some tragic stories to tell). Someone waved the front page of The Sun at him, I swear he hit his driver about 400 yards all day. I don't think I've ever witnessed steam coming out of someone's ears until then.

quote:

Sean Penn's opinion shouldn't be allowed to cross the water, and as for Morrisey, well he should go back to doing what he does best, if anyone ever works out what that is.

I think he has worked it out which is why he is such an arrogant dick because he is so good at it.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 146
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 12/6/2012 5:29:41 PM   
Cruisecontroller

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16245858

I can see why the Falkland Islanders are going to have a refarendum but if it goes against Argentina as expected will they really respect it and drop the matter? Doubt it. When it`s put to them the islanders don`t want to be Argentinan they said well their British and shouldn`t be there.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 147
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 12/6/2012 6:20:23 PM   
elab49

It makes it politically more difficult in the international sense for Argentina, however. I'm surprised they didn't think to do it sooner tbh.

quote:

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 148
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 13/6/2012 8:26:47 PM   
Deviation

So would it stop the support Chile and Brazil give to Argentina on the dispute? One has become a considerable power and the other has quite an influence considering the region it finds itself in and unoffically helped greatly the UK in the last Falklands War.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 149
RE: Britannia still rules those waves..but not the skie... - 13/6/2012 9:59:19 PM   
elab49

You would hope it would be politically more difficult for them to do so. It makes Argentinia's claim more overtly a colonial takeover and really that bit more embarrassing to support in a world do hot to trot on self-determination. This move is probably aimed squarely at the that and the UN. 

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Britannia rules those waves.. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI