Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Britannia rules those waves..

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Britannia rules those waves.. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
[Poll]

Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina?

Yes
  18% (15)
No
  58% (48)
Not Sure
  7% (6)
It's Not as easy as that!
  15% (13)

Total Votes : 82

(last vote on : 31/3/2013 4:10:26 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 22/2/2012 4:46:32 PM   
Deviation

Because they don't see the Falklands as belonging to the UK DUH . Also, how it is similar to the Iraq War.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 91
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 22/2/2012 10:15:31 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Because they don't see the Falklands as belonging to the UK DUH . Also, how it is similar to the Iraq War.

I presume that Titanm21 is referring to the Gulf War (1991) as opposed to the Iraq war (2003)

Due to the way that the ottoman empire was organised, in a system of Vilayets, Iraq had maintained that what is modern-day Kuwait, was in fact part of Iraqi Territory.

This is because Iraq was made up of the three vilayets of Basra, Baghdad and either Mosul or Kirkuk (I can't remember which was the centre of the vilayet). Now modern day Kuwait was part of the Basra vilayet, or at least a large part of it was (IIRC it just happened to be the bit with a big lake of dino blood underneath it), Iraq was kind of pissed off with Kuwait selling all this oil when it believed that it was theirs*

*why they chose 1990 to try and take it back is a matter of opinion - Iraq was pretty much broke after the Iran-Iraq war and due to the activity around Basra was not up to peak efficiency, so to increase their revenues they wanted the oil price to go up, the other members of OAPEC were outputting at pretty high levels and at a meeting Saddam tried to persuade the other members to cut things back, because for the last 10 years he had been holding back the Shia threat for them and they owed him a favour or two (less supply, same demand = higher price) amongst other groups Kuwait was unwilling to do this, which did not sit well with Saddam. Cue Invasion **

** I did hear a rumour that the moment that saddam decided to invade was about the time the Kuwaiti representative pointed out the fact that Saddam was the product of two 1st cousins marrying and that he could pretty much go fuck himself if he thought Kuwait would reduce production (I would not take this too serisously though)

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 92
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 22/2/2012 10:54:54 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I presume that Titanm21 is referring to the Gulf War (1991) as opposed to the Iraq war (2003)

Ah, that makes sense.

quote:

** I did hear a rumour that the moment that saddam decided to invade was about the time the Kuwaiti representative pointed out the fact that Saddam was the product of two 1st cousins marrying and that he could pretty much go fuck himself if he thought Kuwait would reduce production (I would not take this too serisously though)

It would have made The Devil's Double a better film.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 93
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 23/2/2012 12:39:39 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

Ah sorry guys I fotgot to add which one I meant. I wasn't trolling, just trying to be clever and failing in the process lol

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 94
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 23/2/2012 3:28:07 PM   
Chief Wiggum

No problem - I tend to use Gulf war and Gulf War II:Son of Bush interchangebly with Iraq war.

I hadn't actually made the connection of similarity - in terms of precedence it certainly shows us in a good light - Iraq's claim was based on map and boundary changes made in 1917/18 - so if we told them where to stick their claim I'm fairly sure the UN should do the same to Argentina

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 95
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 23/2/2012 8:49:18 PM   
Ghidorah

My family are in constant dispute with two families over land. Not only we are being targetted but these families are also trying to land grab council properties as well. It's a situation we have to be on guard all time.  In my opinion what happening over at the Falklands is no different except the bullies are bigger.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 96
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 23/2/2012 8:54:28 PM   
superdan

Sean Penn's Comment Is Free piece in the Guardian. Needless to say, he meets with little sympathy BTL.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/23/sean-penn-falklands-malvinas-diplomacy-interrupted

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 97
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 23/2/2012 9:52:18 PM   
Rinc

It reads not just like of someone who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, but of someone who's just discovered a thesaurus.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 98
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 23/2/2012 10:08:11 PM   
superdan

I found his Pinochet strawman and allusion to South Africa particularly enlightening.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 99
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 23/2/2012 10:33:58 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

It reads not just like of someone who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, but of someone who's just discovered a thesaurus.

I've just finished his second paragraph and that's exactly how it reads.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 100
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 24/2/2012 12:28:39 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I've just finished his second paragraph and that's exactly how it reads.

He's just using big words to sound clever, like Homer.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 101
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 24/2/2012 4:40:20 AM   
boaby

World's going to sh!t, economy's gone to sh!t. Distraction required. Pump up the jingo.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 102
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 24/2/2012 11:22:08 AM   
gazpop

Pump up the jingo, pump up the jingo, pump up the jingo, dance dance!!
He should be reet careful about calling into play those nations that advocate a man or men who rule a country with, let's say, a lesser sense of foul play. Yes, I know he is against his own country in most articles of national interest, and it needs more of those hippies (joke) to speak out. But I really can't help that he's using this as a footstool to promote his ownself onto the international stage. He seems to want to be the new Clinton. But with a hipper rap (thank you RDJ).
Or maybe I'm being too Daily Mail about this? Shit, did I just capitalise that rag? I'd better declare war on Malibu! Not the drink mind you; I love Pinochet Coladas!

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 103
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 24/2/2012 12:58:20 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Sean Penn's Comment Is Free piece in the Guardian. Needless to say, he meets with little sympathy BTL.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/23/sean-penn-falklands-malvinas-diplomacy-interrupted

Ha - there's an ad for one of those inflatable willy costumes right next to the article!

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 104
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 25/2/2012 2:51:41 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Isn't his point (in amongst all the other snide jabs at things) that Britain should return to diplomacy? To be honest we should keep a debate and line of conversation on this going with Argentina, not just refuse to talk to them. Talking to them might be helpful.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 105
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 27/2/2012 9:14:13 PM   
superdan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17184955

Oh real mature

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 106
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 27/2/2012 9:18:11 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Isn't his point (in amongst all the other snide jabs at things) that Britain should return to diplomacy? To be honest we should keep a debate and line of conversation on this going with Argentina, not just refuse to talk to them. Talking to them might be helpful.

Isn't the point, though,  that the basis Argentina want talks on is already a problem as it gives credence to something that doesn't actually reflect the situation. It's like an annoying court drama where the lawyer wants a yes/no answer to a question that can't be properly answered with either. And that Penn is simply revelling in anti-British hypocrisy while pandering to Argentinian colonial notions?

quote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17184955

Oh real mature

It's what they've been doing for ages and got their local pals in on the act - in some ways they're operating an illegal blockade to try and force the people who actually live there, and get to decide who they are, out. Curiously this blockade isn't that well publicised.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 107
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 27/2/2012 9:27:16 PM   
superdan

I had no idea Argentina had been turning away cruise ships for having the temerity to stop at the Falklands beforehand, I thought it was limited to merchant vessels. Maybe cruise lines should outfox them by stopping at Argentina first, and the Falklands second

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 108
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 27/2/2012 9:29:59 PM   
elab49

It'd be amusing to ask them if they got the tip from the US's treatment of Cuban visas. GIven they're such big fans and all.

It'd be quite sad if this got more publicity than food supplies though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 109
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 28/2/2012 3:42:00 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Isn't the point, though,  that the basis Argentina want talks on is already a problem as it gives credence to something that doesn't actually reflect the situation. It's like an annoying court drama where the lawyer wants a yes/no answer to a question that can't be properly answered with either. And that Penn is simply revelling in anti-British hypocrisy while pandering to Argentinian colonial notions?

But international diplomacy is not best achieved by putting your fingers in your ears and saying 'na na na I can't hear you'. They should get around a table and firmly tell them to 'sod off'. The fact is that if we want to operate in the region successfully we should have good relations with our neighbours, or at least some relationship with our neighbours. I think we would be beyond reproach if we at least agreed to talk about it, say every 5 years. Tell them to sod off every 5 years, seems like it would seem more reasonable to the UN, other south American countries and the world in general. Oh and Mr Penn, the real person who matters in all this. Just saying is all.

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 110
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 1/3/2012 7:08:02 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Oh jesus did I make sense to people? I hope we are changing policy inline with my writing on empire.

horribleives

Post #: 111
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 2:31:45 PM   
Cruisecontroller

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16180860#none

Another so called anti imperial celebrity supporting Argentina`s claim for the Falklands, whose people don`t want to be taken over by them, based on a connection Argentina has with the Spanish Empire it was part of when Spain temporarily owned them. Why can`t Roger Waters from Pink Floyd see how hypocritical he`s being? If Spain isn`t bothered why should Argentinas complaining be taken seriously?   

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 112
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 2:46:42 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Roger Waters has a 2 week series of concerts starting in Argentina next week. That says all that needs to be said about his comments I think.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 113
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 3:01:52 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Tactless and shameful PR stunt.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 114
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 3:57:44 PM   
Spaldron

Why cant these people just shut up and do what they're famous for?

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 115
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 5:03:33 PM   
boaby

Anyone see that muppet Galloway on This Week last night?

He was advocating joint sovereignty over the islands. Do a deal to split the oil. He was under the impression that the rest of Latin America would be suitably p!ssed off by the UK telling "the lovely" Argie boss wifie to poke it that they'd go all Trade Federation on our Naboo asses. The whole of South America refusing to trade with us would be a pain the hole.

Of course, it was Galloway speaking so the chances of any truth in it are slim.

I canna see the UK playing well with others on this.

< Message edited by boaby -- 2/3/2012 5:06:29 PM >

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 116
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 7:48:14 PM   
jon5000

NO.

NOT HIM.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/02/falkland-islands-belong-argentina-morrissey

THEY'VE GOT MORRISSEY.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 117
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 8:00:48 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

NO.

NOT HIM.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/02/falkland-islands-belong-argentina-morrissey

THEY'VE GOT MORRISSEY.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 118
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 8:02:23 PM   
horribleives

I've re-read the comments by Penn, Waters and now former-lyrical-genius-turned-clueless-reactionary-ex-pat-arsehole Morrisey and at no point do any of them appear to give the slightest thought to (or even acknowledge) the people who actually fucking live there.
Funny that.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 119
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 2/3/2012 11:13:45 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Anyone see that muppet Galloway on This Week last night?

He was advocating joint sovereignty over the islands. Do a deal to split the oil. He was under the impression that the rest of Latin America would be suitably p!ssed off by the UK telling "the lovely" Argie boss wifie to poke it that they'd go all Trade Federation on our Naboo asses. The whole of South America refusing to trade with us would be a pain the hole.

Of course, it was Galloway speaking so the chances of any truth in it are slim.

I canna see the UK playing well with others on this.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say here.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Britannia rules those waves.. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI