Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Britannia rules those waves..

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Britannia rules those waves.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina?

Yes
  18% (15)
No
  58% (48)
Not Sure
  7% (6)
It's Not as easy as that!
  15% (13)

Total Votes : 82

(last vote on : 31/3/2013 4:10:26 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Britannia rules those waves.. - 9/12/2011 10:30:58 PM   
Emyr Thy King

The islands should never be handed back to the Argentines so long as the people of the Falklands want to stay British, which they do. The irony with the Falklands Islands is that before the war, they were running into decline anyway and had the Argentines not invaded in 1982. In all likelihood, control of the islands would've gone to Argentina. As the islands were hardly of any strategic or economic value to us. After the war, the population has increased a little, fishery licences and tourism has increased revenue and now there's propsect of oil off-shore. No wonder they were sniffing around. If the Argentines are stupid enough to try and take the islands again, I'm sutre the Marine and RAF garrison there will more than happily throw them back into the sea.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 31
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 28/1/2012 3:55:41 PM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

The islands should never be handed back to the Argentines so long as the people of the Falklands want to stay British, which they do. The irony with the Falklands Islands is that before the war, they were running into decline anyway and had the Argentines not invaded in 1982. In all likelihood, control of the islands would've gone to Argentina. As the islands were hardly of any strategic or economic value to us. After the war, the population has increased a little, fishery licences and tourism has increased revenue and now there's propsect of oil off-shore. No wonder they were sniffing around. If the Argentines are stupid enough to try and take the islands again, I'm sutre the Marine and RAF garrison there will more than happily throw them back into the sea.

Huzzah, pip pip, and can I just throw in a sheer stiff-upper lipped God Save The Queen? Good. I feel more British already. In fact, I'll put the kettle on!! Or is it already time for Pimms, by jingo?

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 32
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 11:43:32 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Sean Penn has branded Britain 'colonialist' for its refusal to hand over the Falkland Islands to Argentina.
The actor said that the UK was being 'ludicrous and archaic’ by believing it could hold on to what he called ‘the Malvinas Islands of Argentina’.
He added that diplomacy was needed to resolve the issue but that he was firmly on the side of the Argentinians.
Penn's comments could inflame relations between Britain and Argentina just weeks away from the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War on April 2.
Prince William is currently on six-week military deployment there as a helicopter pilot in the face of sabre rattling from the Argentine authorities

During the meeting he urged Britain to join UN-sponsored talks over what he called the ‘Malvinas’, as the Falklands are otherwise known in Spanish.
And in the conversation the Mystic River star said: ‘The world today is not going to tolerate any ludicrous and archaic commitment to colonialist ideology.’
Penn, 51, has a history of making outspoken comments and has passionately championed the left-wing causes he supports.
He has paid £40,000 to take out a full page advert in the Washington Post to attack the Bush White House for its ‘deconstruction of civil liberties’.
The advert also called vice president Dick Cheney and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice ‘villainously and criminally obscene people’.
The letter was seized on by Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez with whom Penn later established a friendship.
Penn also went to New Orleans to help out with the reconstruction efforts after Hurricane Katrina and has also made Haiti another of his causes following the 2010 earthquake.
The British government has repeatedly said that those living on the Falklands have the right to decide under which country they want to be governed.
But the 2,500 strong population have repeatedly said in polls that they are happy to remain under British rule.
Adding to recent tensions are plans by London to develop potential offshore oil deposits around the Falkland Islands, which Argentina is keen to stop from happening.
The Falklands have been in British hands since 1833 but in 1982 the Argentinian junta invaded, sparking the 74-day war which the UK won.
Children in Argentina however are taught that the English illegally took the country in 1833 and have held onto it since.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 33
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 11:50:23 AM   
Chief

Sean Penn should get his own island and fuck off.

Post #: 34
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 11:55:14 AM   
matty_b

No doubt he thinks the IRA are a swell bunch of guys, too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 35
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 12:09:35 PM   
Rob

I'm beginning to think that Sean Penn is actually a bit of a dick.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 36
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 12:12:57 PM   
shool

I've thought that for a while. Not a bad actor though.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 37
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 12:41:32 PM   
DancingClown

While I mostly disagree with his sentiments some of the reactions to his 'involvement' are amusing. This is nothing new, he's been politically outspoken for years, blasting his own government in particular and we probably would've agreed with him then. Now he's targeting ours we're up in arms, naturally. And some of the comments from the Mail Online have made me chuckle, such as:

quote:

Perhaps Mr Penn would recommend giving America back to the native Indians?

Well, yeah, he probably would. And:

quote:

Sean Penn can go ***k himself, how can he talk when his country wages war constantly.

Well, yeah, you mean the wars against which he has recently objected and campaigned? Silly.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 38
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 12:50:34 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

While I mostly disagree with his sentiments some of the reactions to his 'involvement' are amusing. This is nothing new, he's been politically outspoken for years, blasting his own government in particular and we probably would've agreed with him then. Now he's targeting ours we're up in arms, naturally. And some of the comments from the Mail Online have made me chuckle, such as:

quote:

Perhaps Mr Penn would recommend giving America back to the native Indians?

Well, yeah, he probably would. And:

quote:

Sean Penn can go ***k himself, how can he talk when his country wages war constantly.

Well, yeah, you mean the wars against which he has recently objected and campaigned? Silly.

Hahahaha grown man with opinion shocker! Personally I think he should give his Oscar for Milk to Mickey Rourke, but I can guess already what Mr Penn would think of my opinion

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 39
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 12:59:40 PM   
elab49

So he slams the 'colonial' behaviour of the UK and doesn't get he's supporting it for Argentina?

I'm not seeing much publicity for the fact that Argentina is basically trying to starve out the people who live there.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 40
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 1:11:35 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Wut?

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 41
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 1:13:47 PM   
elab49

I'd guess putting him on par with the normal anti-British dubious political views of a small section of America. Unless he did actually support Noraid. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 42
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 1:40:56 PM   
gazpop

I say we march en masse to Parliament and publicly burn all our copies of Shanghai Surprise!! I've got loads spare; it's his best work by far....

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 1:42:19 PM   
shool

Its a bit far. Can I not just do it in my back garden or something?

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 44
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 1:46:41 PM   
elab49

It's bad enough for my other half that we're going to see an Argentinian film next week (which apparently references the British thing at one point). Add to that Penn's film with Sorrentino 

quote:

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 45
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 2:06:50 PM   
superdan

Presumably Mr Penn is content with the idea of the thousands of inhabitants who have populated the islands for generations either being subjugated by another country against their will, or becoming refugees? Typical pinko commie son of a bitch.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 46
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 2:08:22 PM   
Chief

Who cares what the people want. Sean Penn decides!

Post #: 47
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 2:15:53 PM   
gazpop

One dictator. One vote. Viva El Presidente Pennez!!
ps-reckon he must owe Chavez a favour
PPS-just saw this in Telegraph....
Hugo Chavez has pledged that Venezuelan armed forces would fight alongside Argentina against Britain in any future conflict over the Falkland Islands at a regional meeting this weekend.
WTF is going on???

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 48
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 2:24:23 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Other countries not just the UK and Argentina have been in control of the Falklands over the years mainly Portugal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands

Yes they are nearest to Argentina but that doesn`t automatically mean they have the right to have them back now. What Mr Penn and Argentina are forgetting and overlooking are that the islanders want to stay British and that must be respected. Argentina has no right to take the islands when it`s people don`t want their rule this isn`t about the UK being colonial we are not we are protecting the people of the Falkland Islands. It`s the same with Gilbraltor. Theoretically that does have more right to be Spanish but the people don`t want it so surely that should be respected.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 14/2/2012 4:00:35 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 49
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 3:50:50 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

So he slams the 'colonial' behaviour of the UK and doesn't get he's supporting it for Argentina?

I'm not seeing much publicity for the fact that Argentina is basically trying to starve out the people who live there.

Good point. It`s their hurt pride their throwing their toys out the pram because they can`t handle 30 years on they lost still. That air ban isn`t right for all the widows of the Argentinians who died in the war either and who can`t visit their graves.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 14/2/2012 3:59:53 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 50
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 4:47:43 PM   
Ref

Sean Penn is a douche (which we knew already).

Why does the UN do nothing about Argentina practically starving out the Islanders?? How is that deemed acceptable behaviour?

Here's a thing, just get the Islanders to vote ASAP as to which country they want to remain/go with. And then let that decision be honoured.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 51
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 4:54:53 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

Sean Penn is a douche (which we knew already).

Why does the UN do nothing about Argentina practically starving out the Islanders?? How is that deemed acceptable behaviour?

Here's a thing, just get the Islanders to vote ASAP as to which country they want to remain/go with. And then let that decision be honoured.

Absolutely! To be fair Penn is a great actor but I cannot agree with these poorly though out comments.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 52
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 5:02:43 PM   
Rob

Or, and I'm just trying to offer a balancing viewpoint, all key decisions including global economy, peace keeping missions and pretty much anything else you can imagine should be decided solely by the lead actor from Shanghai Surprise. It's irrelevant if he has no understanding on the issue he's a good actor and that's good enough for me.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 53
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 5:20:28 PM   
jon5000

Oh shit they've got Sean Penn!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 54
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 5:46:23 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

Oh shit they've got Sean Penn!

All the Baldwins are dead??

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 55
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 5:49:19 PM   
boaby

This is ace.

What's the script with the population? Are there natives? Is there an Argentinian - such as there can be - ethnic grouping? Is there a group of Pennian origin?

This wasn't worrying me, but now that a celebrity has gotten involved...

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 56
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 14/2/2012 5:53:38 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Or, and I'm just trying to offer a balancing viewpoint, all key decisions including global economy, peace keeping missions and pretty much anything else you can imagine should be decided solely by the lead actor from Shanghai Surprise. It's irrelevant if he has no understanding on the issue he's a good actor and that's good enough for me.

Obviously he's followed up his Iraq trip with one to the Falklands, and we all know what he said about Iraq:

Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 57
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 15/2/2012 1:24:25 PM   
Toby Monroe

I might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure I once read* that there are a fair few Argentinians who are of Welsh descent. Possibly in the Patagonian region. Isn't there a lot of sheep on the Falklands?

People think this maybe all about oil, but i'm not so sure.

*by read, I mean watched on telly

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 58
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 15/2/2012 2:33:07 PM   
Cruisecontroller

The only way Argentina stand a chance of getting the Falkland Islands is if they can persuade the Islanders to change nationality and become Argentinian. Unless they use some very dodgy and effective propoganda I doubt this will happen. They are deluded and very misinformned if they think they stand a chance. No reputable UN diplomat will let it happen. 

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 59
RE: Britannia rules those waves.. - 15/2/2012 3:04:44 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop
Huzzah, pip pip, and can I just throw in a sheer stiff-upper lipped God Save The Queen? Good. I feel more British already. In fact, I'll put the kettle on!! Or is it already time for Pimms, by jingo?

I'm not the God Save the Queen and Britannia rules the wave type Gaz. I just don't think the Argentineans have any claim to the islands, and therefore no business posturing over any purported claim. I don't think the Falklanders will be singing "God Save the Queen" but rather "Don't cry over me Argentina"...

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

He's probably chums with Mickey Rourke.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

While I mostly disagree with his sentiments some of the reactions to his 'involvement' are amusing. This is nothing new, he's been politically outspoken for years, blasting his own government in particular and we probably would've agreed with him then. Now he's targeting ours we're up in arms

That's because he's wrong, not because he's had a pop at the British government.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Monroe

I might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure I once read* that there are a fair few Argentinians who are of Welsh descent. Possibly in the Patagonian region. Isn't there a lot of sheep on the Falklands?

People think this maybe all about oil, but i'm not so sure.

*by read, I mean watched on telly

Speaking of which, you look like you're overdue for a shearing. Assume the position butt**.

*It's also got something to do with tourism revenue and lucrative fishing licenses...

**"Butt" isn't a shorthand for "buttocks". It's a colloquialism, honest.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Britannia rules those waves.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI