Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina?

Yes
  18% (15)
No
  58% (48)
Not Sure
  7% (6)
It's Not as easy as that!
  15% (13)

Total Votes : 82

(last vote on : 31/3/2013 4:10:26 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 3:07:55 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

The Falklands is once again at the forefront of debate due to oil exploration off the coast by a British Oil Company. My question is, should we give the territory over to Argentina like we did with Hong Kong to China?

It's a tricky one but personally I think they shouldn't be handed back as that would an insult to the soldiers that died during the war and the current inhabitants want to remain under British rule. I couldn't care less who originally staked a claim to them (although British claim far outdates Argentinas) and how much oil there may be in the surrounding area. Just interested to hear others thoughts....

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 23/2/2010 4:12:46 PM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: Should The Falklands be handed back to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 3:30:51 PM   
JessFranco

I'd be more concerned about the potential environmental consequences of oil being discovered there. I think everyone is currently prevented from commercially exploiting the natural resources of the area under the Antarctic Treaty. Finding significant amounts of oil would probably seriously increase the pressure to scrap it.

Aside from that, all the territorial claims are fairly silly. the UK probably wins out on account of the will of the local people, at the moment, but it would be difficult to offer much justification for holding on to them otherwise. Similarly, Argentina's relationship with them over the years has been based more on petty nationalism than any considerations of utility.

Perhaps they'll drill and find nothing and all we can go back to not caring. 

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: Should The Falklands be handed back to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 3:38:57 PM   
superdan

It's all a bit of sabre-rattling by Argentina really, probably partly to distract from domestic problems. It's a trick that has been used by many Argentine governments, both before and after the Falklands War. The fact is, all they want is to protect oil interests which is exactly what the British government want as well.

Frankly, I'll be astonished if it ever came to war. The main reason that there was conflict last time was that the Argentines genuinely believed Britain wouldn't bother going to war over the invasion. The garrison on the islands is much larger than it was in the 80's, and while Argentina would be able to overrun them it would be a costly fight, all done without any support in the UN which solidly backs the UK sovereignty over the Islands. The most likely end will be Argentina is given a taste of the oil pie, so to speak, just to shut them up and allow the British prospectors to drill without harrassment.

As to the notion of 'handing them back', well the Islands were never 'theirs' in the first place. The Falklands have been inhabited by British citizens since before Argentina existed as a country. If the sovereignty of the Islands changes, it needs to be the express will of the Falklanders.

Post #: 3
RE: Should The Falklands be handed back to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 4:12:12 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

As to the notion of 'handing them back', well the Islands were never 'theirs' in the first place. The Falklands have been inhabited by British citizens since before Argentina existed as a country. If the sovereignty of the Islands changes, it needs to be the express will of the Falklanders.

Yes I knew that, just bad wording on my part

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4
RE: Should The Falklands be handed back to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 4:19:18 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

I have to admit I quite like the islands as they confuse daily mail readers.

Incidentally did Thatcher have a 'you turn if you want to policy' when she drove?

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

Post #: 5
RE: Should The Falklands be handed back to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 4:29:31 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
The most likely end will be Argentina is given a taste of the oil pie, so to speak, just to shut them up and allow the British prospectors to drill without harrassment.

Mmm...oil pie.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 4:42:46 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

It's a tricky one but personally I think they shouldn't be handed back as that would an insult to the soldiers that died during the war and the current inhabitants want to remain under British rule.

They're good enough reasons themselves IMO.
Anyway, let's hope the Argies get pissed over this, we could do with getting into a war we can actually win.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 7
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 4:45:18 PM   
elab49

I've never understood why Argentina should be relevant here (apart from sabre-rattling and threats - but that is what the UN is supposed to help protect sovereign states from ). If the islands weren't British - why should they be 'handed' to anyone? As opposed to a little bit of self-determination?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 8
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 9:20:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

Could we do a swap? Everyone in the UK can move to South America?

That would be nice.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 9:33:09 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

That would be nice.

It wouldn't be any different. The average temperatures are roughly the same.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 10
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 9:41:17 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

That would be nice.

Why you gotta destroy my deams?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 11
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 9:44:23 PM   
HIM

quote:

quote:

quote:

That would be nice.

I don't want you to leave.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 12
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 23/2/2010 9:47:41 PM   
ilovebeerme

I remember a tv show back in the 80's or early 90's where they offered the residents of the Falkland's cash to fly the Argentine flag. Every one refused. They then made the same offer to folk living in an estate in Manchester or Liverpool or somewhere and the street was festooned with Argentine regalia and they had a party.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 13
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 12:20:57 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

That would be nice.

They are just so destroyable.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 14
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 7:50:00 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

Quiet you, on Malta will be next

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 15
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 9:39:08 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

My question is, should we give the territory over to Argentina like we did with Hong Kong to China?

But there is a fundamental difference here in that we didn't hand HK back to China, rather our 99-year lease on the New Territories expired.

quote:

It's a tricky one but personally I think they shouldn't be handed back as that would an insult to the soldiers that died during the war and the current inhabitants want to remain under British rule. I couldn't care less who originally staked a claim to them (although British claim far outdates Argentinas) and how much oil there may be in the surrounding area. Just interested to hear others thoughts....

While I agree 100% with your reasons for retaining soverignty, it has always stuck in my craw that the vast majority in Britain couldn't have given a flying fuck about the islands or islanders until some jingoistic fervour was whipped up.  Remember, it took the elevated recognition that the war brought to actually grant the inhabitants full British citizenship (which they didn't get until 1983) and for years before successive governments had been involved in negotiations to return them to Argentina.

If you judge soverignty based on the chronology of claims, then it could be argued that the French predate the British in that there was already a French colony established on the island (indeed, the first European colony to be established) when it was claimed shortly after for Britain.  The handing over of the French colony to the Spanish sparked the first "Falklands Crisis" back in the 1700s, and the current Argentinian claim is simply a post-independence continuation of the previous Spanish claim And there appears to be evidence of a previous settlement of indigenous tribes from Tierra del Fuego, so you could argue that Argentinians did reach there first! 

All that is saying is that there can be validity to each side's claims of soverignty, but the deciding factor is that the UN recognises our claim as the legitimate one, and that is in keeping with the will of the inhabitants.  And as long as that will remains, then it shouldn't be open to debate.  As elab says, a little self-determination goes a long way in international politics!

But you've got to wonder if a beleagured Gordon Brown isn't looking back at the impact of the last war on the 1983 election and considering calling the Admiralty...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 16
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 9:44:54 AM   
CORLEONE

No, no, a thousand times no.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 17
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 9:53:48 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

While I agree 100% with your reasons for retaining soverignty, it has always stuck in my craw that the vast majority in Britain couldn't have given a flying fuck about the islands or islanders until some jingoistic fervour was whipped up. 

Aye. There's that great line in The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole about Adrian's Dad being up in arms once he'd heard on the news the Argies had invaded the Falklands. It's only when he learns that the Falklands are not part of the Outer Hebrides that he goes back to bed a little bit narked and somewhat less bothered about the call to arms...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 10:00:52 AM   
CORLEONE

All jokes aside the people on the islands are British citizens so should be afforded the same protection as anyone in London IMO.

Interesting 2 people have voted to give the islands to Argentina, but haven't had the bollocks to say why.

< Message edited by CORLEONE -- 24/2/2010 11:18:40 AM >

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 19
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 5:33:25 PM   
Beno

Many Soldiers died in The Falklands War . Lets not go down that route again for the sake of Oil . We are'nt truly that Americanised are we ?

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 20
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 6:14:13 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Many Soldiers died in The Falklands War . Lets not go down that route again for the sake of Oil . We are'nt truly that Americanised are we ?

Erm, we're not the ones kicking up a fuss. It's them. If anyone is behaving twattish regarding oil here it's Argentina.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 21
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 6:19:51 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Erm, we're not the ones kicking up a fuss. It's them. If anyone is behaving twattish regarding oil here it's Argentina.

What i meant was lets talk not fight or be drawn into a fight .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 22
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 9:22:58 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

All jokes asidethe people on the islands are British citizens so shouldbe afforded the same protection as anyone in London IMO.

Interesting 2 people have voted to give the islands to Argentina, but haven't had the bollocks to say why.

I just fancied being contrary, to be honest.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 23
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 10:48:32 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

All jokes aside the people on the islands are British citizens so should be afforded the same protection as anyone in London IMO.

I just fancied being contrary, to be honest.

So an entirely nonsensical reason then. Good.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 24
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 24/2/2010 11:15:39 PM   
tommyjarvis

Ta.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 25
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 25/2/2010 12:22:17 AM   
Olaf

How dare you not take an internet forum poll 100% seriously. You make me sick.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 26
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 25/2/2010 7:38:39 PM   
tommyjarvis

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 27
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 25/2/2010 7:50:19 PM   
Olaf

it would actually be amazing if YFU was actually Gordon Brown and this so-called "forum poll" was actually a national referendum to decide whether or not the Falklands should be given to Argentina.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 28
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 26/2/2010 6:07:46 PM   
The Hooded Man

The British government weren't exactly worried about their citizens when they evicted them from Diego Garcia so the Americans could build a military base.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depopulation_of_Diego_Garcia
Maybe all Argentina need to do is make the British government an offer and then we'll see how much the government cares about the will of its people.

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 26/2/2010 6:11:04 PM >

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 29
RE: Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? - 28/2/2010 12:07:15 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Good article in The Times - seems reasonable to split oil revenues with the Argies. He also makes some interesting points about our relationship with the US

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/matthew_parris/article7043099.ece

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Should The Falklands be handed over to Argentina? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI