Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Brill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Brill Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brill - 6/3/2011 11:22:35 AM   
the film man

This is by far one of Scorseses finest films.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 181
A Bit Generic - 5/4/2011 1:03:49 PM   
Hillsman

How many psychological thrillers have their been where everything is not as it seems and the viewer is dragged through a cacophony of confusing clues, dream sequences and misdirection before we finally learn the true reality at the end?

Its all been done before. My wife and I did see the ending coming....we even established Daniels' true identity. I fell asleep towards the end and not even DiCaprio could save Scorsese's latest effort.

On a side note, Scorsese makes solid, often gritty and realistic films - though not films that I'd ever watch more than once (GoodFellas & The Departed excepted). On this evidence, he should probably stay away from supernatural themes!

Post #: 182
RE: A Bit Generic - 3/5/2011 12:06:57 AM   
KeithM

Shutter Island

OOOOOOM! OOOOOM! OOOOOOM!

A very melodramatic, overblown start (the above is the foreboding, really, really loud score as Leo approaches the Island at the beginning) turns into a rather good psycho-thriller. Not going to say a word about the plot as saying anything might spoil, so suffice to say, it's a good 'un. Atmospheric, tense, twisty, with a satisfying ending. Very good.

8/10

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 183
RE: A Bit Generic - 3/5/2011 4:41:17 PM   
davestack

Shutter Island is unpredictable. One of the best thrillers I've seen in a long time.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 184
Better The Second Time Around? - 23/1/2012 5:47:18 PM   
Turd Ferguson

I was not impressed the first time I saw it. Perhaps it's because I've come to expect so much from Scorsese each and every time out? Whatever the case, I gave this one another chance on Netflix the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it the second time around. Worth another go if you were disappointed initially.

Post #: 185
Shutter Island - 9/7/2012 3:28:13 AM   
norgizfox

Not one of Scorseses best work, but Shutter Island is hypnotic, thrilling, mind-boggling, and just plain crazy! Much credit must go to DiCaprio and Kingsley's performances and screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis grand transition from book to screen.

Post #: 186
Officially the best film maker in the world - - 12/11/2012 11:40:37 AM   
bobbyperu

Don't make me laugh - Maybe once but he hasn't made a great film in over 20 years - Another case of living off past glories - As for Shutter Island a very average 3 satars -

Post #: 187
"Which would be worse... to live as a monster, or ... - 11/10/2013 1:28:51 AM   
movienut707

Some viewers (and certainly critics) have taken offence with the film's twist ending, but it works surprisingly well. Brooding and brilliant, Shutter Island is a flawlessly crafted mystery that dares to peer into the dark hollows of a troubled soul. So disarm, give yourself over to it, and marvel at Scorsese's genius as well as the remarkable DiCaprio in a performance that should have earned him an Oscar nomination.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 11/10/2013 2:05:48 AM >

Post #: 188
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Brill Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI