Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: HMMMPH.......

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: HMMMPH....... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HMMMPH....... - 13/4/2010 7:48:04 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

**** Mild Spoilers ****

I could have sworn that when DiCaprio first finds Laeddis by the fireplace, Laeddis was played by De Niro. Anyone else think this?

You mean....De Niro....by way of Ken Brannagh's Frankenstein????? Lovely thought. But it's Elias Koteas, innit? Who is a more than admirable character actor in his own right.  He's noble in the Thin Red Line and check out his 2 turns in great-mate David Fincher's last two films.

I saw Shutter Island for the second time last Sunday.  There's other films I want to see.  But I'm afraid I have to see Shutter Island one more time before I'll realistically give other films the attention they deserve.  It's a big bag of gothic disco-fudge for punters like me who get off on Name Of The Rose and Batman: Arkham Asylum.  And before anyone get's into one of those "style over substance" sneers I think Di Caprio's commitment to grief in its most abject, ninth-circle-of-hell is very grounding.  And yes...very moving. 

Anyone that tells you that they guessed it is a cunt. (God made such a small word because even He knew some people aren't worth anything more).  All they're responding to is a verrrrry broad referenda mid-way through of: - when asked - who is patient 67?

The point is!  The intent of Dr Cawley, Naehring, McPherson and Sheehan!  That's what's up for auction...are they benign or malevolent?  And I think that goes right down to the wire.  Nut-job Teddy or no.  If you guessed it then you're a better man than I.  And, if you're more imaginative, it then becomes a Patrick McGoohan Prisoner gambit of WHY he's the prisoner.  If you're still bored by it then you're a cunt.    

But don't let anyone (in the real world) talk to you about plot. Shutter Island is about a Master Director rinsing the toy-box.  And, oh, I almost forgot. A great actor giving his fooooking utmost.

Remember that.  Don't let anyone be snide to you about this film.  Next one that tries, lean forward with a wry grin; and a wink if you can afford it -  quietly ask fuck-head cynic how far he think's he'll get without you biting on his fucking eye-ball.    

I won't tell. 

It's just you and me afterall.

They'll never find us out Chuck.

Totally agree with all of that. People who go into Shutter Island thinking the film is solely about the plot is missing the fucking point despite straining themselves pathetically to that end.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 121
RE: Shutter My Etes - 14/4/2010 9:42:43 AM   
King_Louie

I WILL buy it on dvd and I will see it as many times as I like. Not his best but full of many outstanding moments and will likely finish as one of the best films of the year imo.
quote:

ORIGINAL: kittybinks

A film started with so much promised but ultimately fails to deliver. After the first 40 minutes it gets a bit too clever throwing up smoke screens, villans appear to be everywhere. Then the pace appears to slow to a relentless crawl, bum shuffling time for an hour and then the pay-off. See it once but you'll NEVER buy it on DVD as it cannot sustain a rewatch. Shame really

(in reply to kittybinks)
Post #: 122
RE: Shutter Island - 16/4/2010 12:06:10 AM   
jrewing1000

Am I missing something here? I thought this movie was absolutely shit. Scorcese seemed to be cakewalking his way through this one. I'd seen everything in this film before and done a hundred times better. Plus the ending....SPOILER ALERT.......was the horrible equivalent of 'it was all a dream'. I"'m sure the book made more sense of this and made it more acceptable, but the way Scorcese told it was so pointless..

Plus - is it me or was the green screen at the start on the boat some of the most horrid effects ever seen on screen? What is happening to Hollywood?!?!?! First Indy 4 now this. And don't anyone say it was deliberate because of SPOILER AGAIN!!!......the sanity of DeCaprio.

I was SO disappointed with this. Well made (as you'd expect from a master filmmaker) but such a pointless story.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 123
RE: Shutter Island - 16/4/2010 12:45:41 AM   
ElephantBoy

I did think the plot held togeter pretty well, although the twist was a little questionable. I supose it being a little overious was partly the point. The main thing is that it was stylishly done and for the most part very convincing. Plus the performences were fantastic pretty much all the way down the cast. That's what seprated it from other b-movie fare.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 124
RE: Shutter Island - 16/4/2010 11:44:32 AM   
jrewing1000

There have been some interesting reviews here, describing crafty use of film techniques to allude to the reality of the plot. But I think that's such a cop out excuse for things that you watch and question during the movie. You can't ruin suspension of disbelief and then justify it later. Once you've broken the spell (bad green screen, dodgy costumes, unlikely conversations etc) you can never go back.

Post #: 125
4 star effort - 18/4/2010 6:03:09 PM   
Francis46

I think that Empire got this review about right actually. Its an enjoyable film if you just allow yourself to float along with it as it unfolds. The use of deliberately abrupt camera changes, excellent work by Di Caprio and Kingsley and an interesting central premise all serve to capture the viewer's attention.
I've got to say that I'm continuing to be impressed by DiCaprio's willingness to take on meaty roles and this only augers well for the upcoming Inception.

< Message edited by Francis46 -- 18/4/2010 6:04:28 PM >

Post #: 126
RE: 4 star effort - 18/4/2010 8:28:31 PM   
empire No. 1

7/10. another good scorsese film, so the question must now be asked - "what the fuck happened to you, man? your ass used to be beautiful" or, to avoid any confusion, scorsese was such an outstanding director that its tragic that all he turns out now are "good" films.

(in reply to Francis46)
Post #: 127
RE: 4 star effort - 19/4/2010 9:44:44 PM   
robwillphill

quote:

ORIGINAL: empire No. 1

Scorsese was such an outstanding director that its tragic that all he turns out now are "good" films.

Wonder if his next film will be a great film... Starring Hit-Girl herself, Chloe Moretz!...

The Invention of Hugo Cabret
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970179/

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to empire No. 1)
Post #: 128
RE: 4 star effort - 19/4/2010 10:03:11 PM   
empire No. 1

sad truth is . . . it would be his finest since cape fear. (any scorsese lovers who dont agree ...... simply arnt scorsese lovers) but, robwillphil, wadda think of moritz as eli?

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 129
RE: 4 star effort - 19/4/2010 10:11:35 PM   
robwillphill

They should never have even contemplated remaking the great 'Let The Right One In'. Especially by naming the remake 'Let Me In'.

Chloe Moretz as Eli? Not sure yet. Lina Leandersson was so good in the original, and I have only seen Chloe in Kick-Ass so can't really comment. She will probably be the only good thing in it!

STOP CHURNING OUT REMAKES OF CLASSIC HORRORS! BE ORIGINAL! GET WITH IT FILM INDUSTRY.

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

Post #: 130
RE: 4 star effort - 19/4/2010 10:17:48 PM   
empire No. 1

sorry, i misunderstood. i thought you meant a hit girl film directed by marty! if Decaprio aint in it, id be happy to watch a scorsese film with my toes as the main lead!

Post #: 131
Shutter Island - 13/5/2010 8:38:41 PM   
Soprano168

The ending was something of let down Scorsese is incapable of making a dull film. Its full of ideas and drpping in suspense and even with Cape fear this the closesd Scoesese has come to making a good old B Movie horror.

Post #: 132
Shutter Island: Wow. - 19/5/2010 2:07:39 PM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

This is one of my all time favourite films. Considering this was the first Scorsese film I watch I was very amazed. Compared to other films he has done such as Cape Fear I think that this is a excellent adaptation and he has really put his own style in to it. The really heavy suspenseful music and the quick freights work amazingly and compared to the book it is not as far off as other adaptations. I would recommend this film to anyone and everyone that like the departed and anyone that has read the original book. Be warned that 3 words could ruin the whole film so block your ears if you are planning to watch it and someone is talking about it. This film has twists and turns and is overall amazing. A must see for Scorsese fans and thriller fans!

< Message edited by LUCASLITTLEWOOD -- 13/6/2010 10:43:47 PM >

Post #: 133
- 29/5/2010 12:58:16 AM   
david hayes

Great performance by LDiC

Post #: 134
Brilliant - 28/6/2010 10:26:20 AM   
Kurtis93

Yes the plot is predictable, but a extremley good film.

Post #: 135
Worth the purchase. - 5/7/2010 8:36:15 PM   
Gavin18724

Very enjoyable. Great cast and set pieces. Kinda see the plot twist unravel half way through. Scorsese remains one of the greats. I will be purchasing a copy.

Post #: 136
- 6/7/2010 6:35:07 PM   
stephim

-

Post #: 137
Looks like a poor re-imagining of "The Ninth Confi... - 10/7/2010 10:55:49 AM   
Col. Hans Landa

Scorsese used to be great. "USED to be".
I red the book before watching the film and I liked it very much. BUT, everything that is both int he book and the film have been done before -in a much better way- by W. P. Blatty. If you have either watched or red "The Ninth Configuration", you know what I mean.
Last great film by Martin Scorsese: The Goodfellas.

Post #: 138
THE ISLAND IS NOT SHUT!! - 10/7/2010 11:17:14 PM   
boostergold

Just finished watching this and it was fantastic. Everything you would want in a thriller- by turns scary, a whodunit and a bit of headf**k, provided you immerse yourself in it. All these people with their "its predictable" it ain't frankly, because the story can go many ways right up until the last 10-15 mins if you allow it. I can imagine them now arms crossed, stoic "it'll be like blah, blah."As soon as it was done I watched it again just to check over the details I may have missed; I've never done that before I assure you. Cracking stuff and on blu-ray it is beautiful.

Post #: 139
A Good Head-Twister. - 11/7/2010 9:39:53 AM   
joanna likes films

Shutter Island is one head-twisting film, it will keep you going right to the very end though it finishes a little disappointing. But there are some great pefomances from a good well known cast, some stunning scenery, tense moments and a twist you wouldn't see coming. One to check out without doubt.

Post #: 140
Disappointing - 31/7/2010 3:54:03 PM   
Gram Woods

I agree with Kim Newman on this one( I'm not sorry for slagging him off regarding the Predators review though) ,started out ok but then became very predictable and disappointing in the end, some nice camera shots but what happened to the old Scorsese? His last 4 films have been a right let down!

Post #: 141
RE: RE: - 3/8/2010 11:25:12 PM   
hatebox

delete

< Message edited by hatebox -- 3/8/2010 11:38:29 PM >

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 142
a question - 4/8/2010 3:20:35 PM   
Geosolus

who exactly announced Scorsese as best director in the world? I do like a few of his films but I've also seen some unpleasant turds pinched off by the man. He's very good at what he does but the best? No, that he is not. I watched Shutter Island a few nights back and it looks great as is often the case with a Scorsese film but it remains a standard, by the numbers thriller. So much so that even though it's only been a few days since I viewed it, I really can't think of any scenes or plot twists that stand out.

Post #: 143
Imperfect but solid and moving - 5/8/2010 12:07:46 PM   
davelogan

This movie has some fantastic direction, some great acting and well presented themes. However it is let down by having Mark Ruffalo, who seems to be the king of trees in this. Also, unlike the films it's riffing on it has a very high reliance on dialogue for tension in some parts. B+

Post #: 144
RE: Imperfect but solid and moving - 6/8/2010 10:30:25 PM   
gooner_no1

This worked far better as a pulpy page turning novel than as a film. The pedigree of the filmmakers, the quality of the production and the performances are way above what this deserved. It is a tacky and cheap story - and the film, once you know the twist, as I did, just falls from your eyes and induces snores.

Not Marty's finest hour, but there's been few of those recently.

(in reply to davelogan)
Post #: 145
RE: Imperfect but solid and moving - 8/8/2010 12:04:55 AM   
UTB

Watched for the first time today, not a huge Scorsese fan but I thought it was excellent. Yes the twist is predictable, but it's about so much more. Watching the extras on the BluRay really highlights the amazing performances (everyone in it is giving 2 performances at the same time, really), can't wait to watch it again and see it all in place.

DiCaprio is coming into his own now, superb performance. The scenes during the reveal were exceptional.

(in reply to gooner_no1)
Post #: 146
- 17/8/2010 11:59:20 PM   
plum bob

huge Scorsese fan, loved this but admittedly not as engrossing as The Departed

Post #: 147
- 17/8/2010 11:59:21 PM   
plum bob

huge Scorsese fan, loved this but admittedly not as engrossing as The Departed

Post #: 148
RE: - 22/8/2010 4:19:19 PM   
TheSpleen

A three star film, enjoyable in many parts but altogether lacking something i can't quite put my finger on. Leo was good as was Ruffalo but as others have said the ending was obvious miles before the third act.
I understand that's not all the film was about but it was distracting when trying to engage in certain characters. Not one of his best but certainly not a bad film.

(in reply to plum bob)
Post #: 149
RE: RE: - 23/8/2010 12:06:03 PM   
tftrman

Watched this for the 2nd time, and it's an even better experience in my view, you can appreciate the performances of Ruffalo and Kingsley more this time with a lot of looks between the characters going unnoticed first time around. And imho, this also contains Di Caprio's best performance to date. Add to that, it looks great and I love the ominous soundtrack too.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: HMMMPH....... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI