Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 17/3/2010 10:30:37 PM   
TrendMeUp

Mixed reviews I see. The best cinema is always the most divisive. Except not always.

ANYWAY I loved it. I'LL PROBABLY START TALKING ABOUT SPOILERS NOW. I'm really glad that Scorsese didn't see the "twist" as a twist at all, because neither did I. It wasn't delivered as a big reveal cinematically, and frankly an idiot could have seen it coming a mile away. The film and its maker are way above such an idle notion as the "twist". There is so much entertainment and beauty to be found in the film. The first hour or so, when you think you're watching a throwback to the gritty cop movies of the 50's is so much fun, and yet when that disappears and the darker, more complex side of the film reveals itself, none of the entertainment is lost. It gives way to some startlingly beautiful scenes, like the first dream sequence. I just loved it. Dicaprio was one-note, but in that big flashback scene when you see what really happens, he really adds depth to his performance. Ruffalo and Williams both wonderful. Kingsley hammy and fun. Can't wait for the DVD.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 61
RE: Shutter Island - 18/3/2010 6:02:41 AM   
sarkark21

Really great performances all round

http://indian-bollywood-masala.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
I must be thick - 18/3/2010 9:11:55 AM   
Farmergiles

Everyone has stated that they seen the twist coming a mile off. I didn't see it at all, Which I suppose made the movie all the more enjoyable for me.
Can't believe some of the criticisms on here. The best movie I've seen for a while. Well filmed and beautifully paced. Di Caprio's performance is excellent ... except for the Jack Nicholson impersonations.

Post #: 63
I must be thick - 18/3/2010 9:11:57 AM   
Farmergiles

Everyone has stated that they seen the twist coming a mile off. I didn't see it at all, Which I suppose made the movie all the more enjoyable for me.
Can't believe some of the criticisms on here. The best movie I've seen for a while. Well filmed and beautifully paced. Di Caprio's performance is excellent ... except for the Jack Nicholson impersonations.

Post #: 64
Can't believe you gave it 4* - 18/3/2010 9:26:15 AM   
howiet1971

I thought this to be one of the worst films I have seen this year, and honestly within the first 5 minytes, my sister and I looked at each other and said 'uh oh'. Anyway, gave it a chance thinking that once the thriller aspect kicked in it would pick up. No... it didn't. After half an hour I had guessed 90% of the 'twist', was painfully bored and very surprised that both Scorsese and Di Caprio had anything to do with this sh*t. It's like they studied 50's b movies and copied the style; the acting, the direction and oh god the pain... THE SCORE! There is a reason films aren't made like this anymore... they're rubbish! Whilst film reviews are subjective, I am shocked that Empire gave it 4*'s; makes me reconsider my subscription... 4 of us went, 3 thought it was rubbish. The other one thought it was 'interesting'.

Post #: 65
RE: Stutter Island.....maybe !!!...... - 18/3/2010 10:30:17 AM   
howiet1971

You know, i was so disappointed with it, that i dont even care that i missed the 'real' twist at the end of the film...even if I had picked up on that, it just wouldn't have mattered to me.

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 66
Great movie - 18/3/2010 10:31:24 AM   
Dynamite_Dee

I cant remember the last time I watched a mystery this good. From the first scene it reminded me of Hitchcock, which is no bad thing at all. The acting is first rate, I don't think Leo has been better. Overall just a very enjoyable thriller that really delivers, which is very rare these days in Hollywood movies.

Post #: 67
Shutter Island - 18/3/2010 12:19:09 PM   
cluesy

Very well made film with a strong plot and strong performances. I will admit they I did expect the twist so was a little disappointed but the way everything tied together and made sense was excellent. I did also like the ambiguous ending, which caused a lot of discussion about my friends towards the morality and psyche of the characters. I would very much recommend it.

Post #: 68
RE: RE: - 18/3/2010 8:03:08 PM   
robwillphill

This film confused me. I understood the story (kinda), but the confusion lied in my thoughts on the film. When it finished I thought "oh, is that it", a slight dissapointment - the trailer had promised a thrilling power-house of a movie, suggesting a slick pace and I believed there would be a satisfying conclusion. However, when i began to think more and more about it, I finally decided that as a Scorsese film it is a 4/10, but as a film on its own it is a...

7/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 69
shutter island - 18/3/2010 8:31:39 PM   
Empo

A great film with an all right 'twist' (I guessed it from the advert; don't know if that means that im really good or the 'twist' was rubbish). As a whole it was dark and did keep you in suspense on some bits, an enjoyable night out

Post #: 70
RE: shutter island - 19/3/2010 4:58:20 PM   
TrendMeUp

I really don't think it's meant to be a twist in the traditional sense. It's meant to be a gradual reveal.

I think Scorsese managed to effectively homage horror and thrillers and noirs of the '50s while still making a credible film that stands on its own two feet as a piece of modern cinema, which is a real achievement. Quite fancy going to see it again.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to Empo)
Post #: 71
RE: shutter island - 19/3/2010 10:09:02 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp

I really don't think it's meant to be a twist in the traditional sense. It's meant to be a gradual reveal.

I think Scorsese managed to effectively homage horror and thrillers and noirs of the '50s while still making a credible film that stands on its own two feet as a piece of modern cinema, which is a real achievement. Quite fancy going to see it again.

Nail. Head.

The "true" twist is the final revelation ("Better to live as a monster..." etc)

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 72
Loved the book, loved the movie. - 19/3/2010 11:32:34 PM   
tysmuse

Such an awesome film. Looks outstanding and is well acted. I had read the book first and this the film is a very true adaptation - although, as Kim N states, the movie doesn't ram the twist home as much as the book does, which kinda threw me at first, I was expecting the montage of clues a la usual suspects/sixth sense. But what Scorsese does is much better. Just loved it.

Post #: 73
Very good - 20/3/2010 11:36:19 AM   
videoguru4472

A really good story and an unexpected twist makes this a 5-star worthy film in my eyes. However, the ONLY thing that really let it down so much is the over-dramatic-to-the-point-of-being-humorous music. Also, I found that there were several parts within the film that really didn't make a whole lot of sense. But a good film all-in-all-4-star

Post #: 74
RE: Very good - 20/3/2010 12:14:02 PM   
Goodfella

SPOILERS!

A clever and unexpected ending (although if you think back through the film you can see a little hints as to where it was going, like when Mark Ruffalo's federal marshal can't unclip his gun properly as they enter the institution) but as an entire film it's rather tame, rather rushed and poorly written. I'd kind of hoped for a chilling thriller but it didn't do enough for me to be honest, you can see why it's struggled to make an impact in the awards nominations.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to videoguru4472)
Post #: 75
Hey, 4 stars is right - 20/3/2010 12:28:13 PM   
SpiderBat

Technically excellent, well acted, great music, and some welcome black humour, though at the cinema last night it seemed to get a bit too intense for a couple of chics. The twist ending was the main talking point. The twist that would have been less surprising but more satisfying was replaced by a twist that was less satisfying but more surprising. Which in a way did make it more satisfying and ballsy overall. Having said that, the ending is necessarily vague even in the direction it took so. Overall the movie looks great and is a brainer.

Post #: 76
Hey, 4 stars is right - 20/3/2010 12:28:14 PM   
SpiderBat

Technically excellent, well acted, great music, and some welcome black humour, though at the cinema last night it seemed to get a bit too intense for a couple of chics. The twist ending was the main talking point. The twist that would have been less surprising but more satisfying was replaced by a twist that was less satisfying but more surprising. Which in a way did make it more satisfying and ballsy overall. Having said that, the ending is necessarily vague even in the direction it took so. Overall the movie looks great and is a brainer.

Post #: 77
RE: shutter island - 20/3/2010 2:57:21 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp

Nail. Head.

The "true" twist is the final revelation ("Better to live as a monster..." etc)

***************Further Spoilers!*******************

I've been mulling over the ending in my head over the past couple of days. I hadn't realised that people were taking the very final scene to be the final revelation. I originally thought he'd just pretended to revert to crazy only after he'd remembered his past. There are a few things that don't make sense to me about either scenario, however.

If Andrew was totally sane from the start of the film and before, and merely pretended to be mentally unstable in order to get a lobotomy, why did he bother pretending to 'realise' he was delusional when Kingsley's doctor was trying to show him the whole thing had been a role play? Why not just refuse to accept what he was being told and carry on being delusional there and then? Kingsley's doctor explained that if the exercise hadn't worked then he'd have to get a lobotomy... So why then 'pretend' the role play had worked, only to then revert back the following day?

My original thought was that he genuinely was deluded throughout the whole film - because if not, then that took a helluva lot of acting from Andrew himself, even in moments when he was alone when nobody else could possibly have been looking, to pretend he was deluded. My only problem with that theory is just how likely is it for somebody to snap out of that as quickly as he did when shown a few facts about his delusions?

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 78
RE: shutter island - 20/3/2010 4:36:38 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

I think your original interpretation of the ending is the right one, Sway. Or at least I thought the same thing when I saw it. 

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 79
Shutter Island is an Outstanding Film - 21/3/2010 7:38:03 AM   
chegadesuadade

This superior suspense film properly belongs to the tradition of Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo". Some critics have been harsh in reviewing Leonardo Di Caprio's performance. While I would agree that during the first few minutes of the film I found myself wishing a more rugged looking actor had been cast, once the story got on track I was totally immersed in it.

Post #: 80
RE: shutter island - 21/3/2010 8:49:55 AM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

If Andrew was totally sane from the start of the film and before, and merely pretended to be mentally unstable in order to get a lobotomy, why did he bother pretending to 'realise' he was delusional when Kingsley's doctor was trying to show him the whole thing had been a role play? Why not just refuse to accept what he was being told and carry on being delusional there and then? Kingsley's doctor explained that if the exercise hadn't worked then he'd have to get a lobotomy... So why then 'pretend' the role play had worked, only to then revert back the following day?

SPOILERS

I was under the impression that the entire role play HAD worked as they'd intended, and upon realising it, he decided it better to be labotomised than live with the pain of it all again.

END OF SPOILERS

Once you get past the Saturday matinee esque opening five minutes full of booming music and creepy introductions, Shutter Island is exactly what we need right now - something with a great, solid story and script.  Personaly, this is the most entertained I've been by a Scorcese flick for many years.

He did very well taking a fairly cliched 'twist' everyone thought they were expecting, and made it a little deeper.  And I particularly loved the silent menace of the lighthouse in the background throughout.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 81
RE: shutter island - 21/3/2010 9:21:24 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

quote:

SPOILERS

I was under the impression that the entire role play HAD worked as they'd intended, and upon realising it, he decided it better to be labotomised than live with the pain of it all again.

END OF SPOILERS

Once you get past the Saturday matinee esque opening five minutes full of booming music and creepy introductions, Shutter Island is exactly what we need right now - something with a great, solid story and script.  Personaly, this is the most entertained I've been by a Scorcese flick for many years.

He did very well taking a fairly cliched 'twist' everyone thought they were expecting, and made it a little deeper.  And I particularly loved the silent menace of the lighthouse in the background throughout.

*****Spoilers********

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the film, but upon reading the thread here, it looks as though a number of people are believing Andrew was pretending to be deluded the whole time - not just after the confrontation at the lighthouse, and I wondered if it was me who'd picked it up all wrong. But it would appear I'm in the company of at least two other posters in my thoughts! (you, and DH)

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 82
RE: shutter island - 21/3/2010 10:35:06 AM   
Rgirvan44

SPOLIERS!!!

I agree that he was deluded, got cured, then faked it at the end. Why would he fake it in the caves for instance? Also the dreams he was having is the other clue I think.

Also, the moment with the glass of water is for the audience, not Andrew. I don't think we see a reaction shot from him.

I actully thought for some of the film that Andrew would turn out to be one Nazi caught by soliders at the end of WW2 at the camp. He could speak pretty great German, and his flashbacks would have been part of the delusion.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 83
RE: shutter island - 21/3/2010 1:40:08 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

SPOILERS

END OF SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Thats how I read it too.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 84
RE: shutter island - 21/3/2010 3:45:21 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

SPOILERS

END OF SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Thats how I read it too.

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but I'd like to point out that I thought the same thing. I only started questioning it after a few posts in here suggested otherwise. It's just that my quote appears out of context and makes it look as though I thought the very final scene was the final revelation - I don't at all.

Again, not that this particularly matters, but I kinda wanted to set the record straight.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 85
RE: shutter island - 22/3/2010 7:58:23 AM   
grucl

***SPOILERS***

What I don't get: how did they know that they could start the roleplay on board of the ferry? Were they able to reset Andrew's dilusion to start at that exact point? Or was all that in Andrew's head? I can't seem to piece togehther which part of the film were inside his head an which parts were actually happening.

< Message edited by grucl -- 22/3/2010 8:00:00 AM >

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 86
RE: shutter island - 22/3/2010 9:15:02 AM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

***SPOILERS***

What I don't get: how did they know that they could start the roleplay on board of the ferry? Were they able to reset Andrew's dilusion to start at that exact point? Or was all that in Andrew's head? I can't seem to piece togehther which part of the film were inside his head an which parts were actually happening.

YET MORE SPOILERS! ********

A few people have complained about some ropey special fx; primarily during the opening where they're on the boat - I wonder if it was intentional, to imply those particular moments were all in his head.  But it does beg the question, doesn't it?

Maybe his therapist (I forget his name now) simply acocmpanied him on the boat, and went with the flow, as it were.  There was no plan; he just intended to accompany him, and the whole 'Chuck' thing just happened, so he played along.

END SPOILER

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 87
RE: Shutter Island is an Outstanding Film - 22/3/2010 1:59:37 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: chegadesuadade

This superior suspense film properly belongs to the tradition of Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo". Some critics have been harsh in reviewing Leonardo Di Caprio's performance. While I would agree that during the first few minutes of the film I found myself wishing a more rugged looking actor had been cast, once the story got on track I was totally immersed in it.

I would second that. The whole film was very Hitchcockian: the music, the mood, the sly manipulation of characters and story. Even the idea of turning a normal actor into a paranoid mess is very much similar to what poor old James Stewart faced in Vertigo.

For me Shutter Island is by far Scorsese's most interesting and frankly finest film in more than 10 years. His last 5 films pale in comparison to this dark gem. Absolutely amazing.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to chegadesuadade)
Post #: 88
Shutter Island - 23/3/2010 7:57:36 PM   
moviemaniac2

A top drawer director working with a top drawer cast, this is hugely entertaining stuff, once again showcasing the combined eclectic talents of the Scorsese/DiCaprio partnership

Post #: 89
Shutter Island - 23/3/2010 7:57:38 PM   
moviemaniac2

A top drawer director working with a top drawer cast, this is hugely entertaining stuff, once again showcasing the combined eclectic talents of the Scorsese/DiCaprio partnership

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI