Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Excellent film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Excellent film Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Excellent film - 7/9/2010 12:08:35 PM   
BelfastBoy

I love this film. Other than the great opening scene, I agree that the first half is quite slow, but once it gets started, it's great fun. The obviously limited budget does constrain the special effects, although they're still pretty impressive - especially the scary mirrors. How many times was that village set reused though?! James Purefoy is great as Kane, bizarre accent and all. At the end I was certainly wanting more, so fingers crossed for a sequel.

(in reply to ReviewX)
Post #: 31
RE: Excellent film - 7/9/2010 11:56:44 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Better than Centurion?Similar films with similar budgets.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 32
RE: RE: - 28/9/2010 9:07:20 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

What about the criminally dull first half? I can see what it wad trying to be; I just think it failed utterly. I didn't even find it entertaining in a retro or so-bad-it's-good way. I was just bored - which for an action film, is fatal.

You sir, are mad. Mad!

Boring first half? With Purefoy being attacked by 'The Devil's Reaper'. If I could I'd making tutting noises and roll my eyes at you.

Currently watching it again on Blu Ray. Can't wait for Ironclad.

Would love to see a sequel. Pity it only made $15 million or so worldwide.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 33
RE: RE: - 28/9/2010 9:13:05 PM   
sanchia

Rather a bland and patchy film. The first half dawdles along not really going anywhere fast and the second half is crammed with too much in too short a time. It never really works for me. The special effects are decent enough and Purefoy is decent enough but it never really gripped me in any way. I would say a solid enough film if deeply flawed in pacing and script but worth 2/5.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 34
RE: RE: - 28/9/2010 9:39:38 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

What about the criminally dull first half? I can see what it wad trying to be; I just think it failed utterly. I didn't even find it entertaining in a retro or so-bad-it's-good way. I was just bored - which for an action film, is fatal.

You sir, are mad. Mad!

Boring first half? With Purefoy being attacked by 'The Devil's Reaper'. If I could I'd making tutting noises and roll my eyes at you.

Currently watching it again on Blu Ray. Can't wait for Ironclad.

Would love to see a sequel. Pity it only made $15 million or so worldwide.

You already berated me for this back in February! Tch.

Yeah, it's just yawnsome to the extreme, I found. On paper (or indeed on pixels) the first half of the film sounds phenomenal. In practice - or rather, in the actuality of the film itself - it just comes across as quarter-arsed, shoddy, with poor effects, an absolutely atrocious script, zero sense of humour, and hideously bad acting.

That being said, it's fucking Citizen Kane compared to Ninja Assassin...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 35
RE: RE: - 29/9/2010 4:09:56 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I really dug it for what it was - a throwback to the fantasy movies of the 80s. It wasn't big, and it wasn't clever, but it was fun and in no other movie will you get the lines

Kane: Where is this cursed land?

Preist: Between the shires of Dorset and Somerest!

Demons, zombies, cannibals - there is a lot to like. Sometimes the smallish budget shows up (the final battle scenes), and maybe one or two plot twists that weren't really needed, but it was a good time at the cinema.

Kane needed a theme tune though.

I agree with you there. An entertaining film with a very solid performance by James Purefoy. Great characterisation and the west country accent fitted the bill perfectly. Perhaps his return to violence was a bit sudden but otherwise a very enjoyable films. I agree on your comments regarding the 'twists' but it didn't detract from the film for me too much.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 36
- 3/11/2010 12:06:23 PM   
reminn

Fair.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 37
Alright me babber? - 19/12/2010 8:25:03 PM   
Mr Thunderwing

Whatever else you think about this film, you've gotta love a 17th century badass with a west country accent

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 38
RE: Alright me babber? - 2/5/2011 11:36:16 PM   
KeithM

Solomon Kane

An adaptation of one of Robert E. Howard's other heroes not called Conan, this is a dark, serious take on the character. While it doesn't skimp on action, which is very well done, and the effects are mostly pretty good considering its budget, it's also quite heavy with dialogue and themes of redemption and damnation, which is pretty true to Howard's original stories and tone (from what I remember having read them decades ago...). James Purefoy is excellent in the lead and apart from some saggy bits and a not brilliant ending, overall a pretty good fantasy/horror movie.

7/10

(in reply to Mr Thunderwing)
Post #: 39
Solomon Kane - 22/3/2012 3:37:34 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Thunderwing

Whatever else you think about this film, you've gotta love a 17th century badass with a west country accent

That is so true - never seen it's like before nor will you again (unless there's a sequel).

I didn't really know what to expect with Solomon Kane and it's actually a decent film, the action is cool, it's violent and fairly scary on occasion. The Britishness of the whole thing is great as well (he's off home to Somerset at one point) as mentioned before and it's always nice to see Pete Postlethwaite turn up unexpectedly in a movie as well.

James Purefoy is cool hero and I like the fact it starts from the basis that he's effectively an evil bastard damned for his past deeds - clean cut he is not.

**** SPOILER ****
I wish we'd seen more of that witch though, when the child turns out to be an evil old hag it was an entertaingly scary moment.
**** SPOILER END ****

All in all three stars is a fair rating I'd say definitely worth a watch.

Post #: 40
Solomon Kane - 22/3/2012 3:37:49 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Dup post

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 22/3/2012 3:38:19 PM >

Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Excellent film Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI