Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

David Peace: Red Riding series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> David Peace: Red Riding series Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
David Peace: Red Riding series - 11/2/2010 6:53:36 PM   
Woger

Has anyone read these? He has been described as the Yorkshire James Ellroy. A series of independent films has come out aswell, they look gritty and interesting.

< Message edited by Woger -- 24/5/2010 10:39:38 PM >

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot
Post #: 1
RE: David Pearce: Red Riding series - 11/2/2010 6:58:17 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I have all 4 books, but I've only read 1974 so far. Cracking novel.

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 2
RE: David Peace: Red Riding series - 16/2/2010 8:30:29 PM   
Woger

Thanks, have heard good things about it. Must check it out.

< Message edited by Woger -- 3/9/2010 5:43:58 PM >

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 3
RE: David Peace: Red Riding series - 9/3/2010 4:02:19 PM   
Woger

Finished 1974, good read. I found it patchy at the start but the second half was great, I'm a bit confused as I saw the film first and it's different, mainly characters dropped or amalgamted etc but the final film must go in a differnt direction that the final book also. Must get 1977 now, I think it's about The Yorkshire Ripper.

< Message edited by Woger -- 3/9/2010 5:44:18 PM >

- - -

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 4
RE: David Pearce: Red Riding series - 9/3/2010 5:57:52 PM   
Sway

Ha, I came in here to ask a few questions about these books myself, and look! there's already a home for such questions!

I've still yet to watch the Red Riding trilogy, though I own it.  My flatmate watched it the other night and really urged me to watch it, saying it's great, and also because I'm a huge fan of Paddy Considine.  Anyway the reason I was kinda holding off was because I thought I'd perhaps read the books first.   However, I worked in a bookshop for the past year and the amount of books I've amassed is ridiculous, so I don't really know when I'll find the time to read them.  I might just go ahead and watch the series first.

Basically I want to know if all the books are worth reading, and if so, should I do it in advance of the series?  Bear in mind that all I ever read are history and non-fiction books.    Asides from The Damned Utd, I've not read any other fiction (I guess The Damned Utd is bit of mix of genre really... both fiction and history) in years.  I don't know if crime novels would be my cuppa.  But I really loved David Peace's writing in The Damned Utd.

Thoughts, suggestions?

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 5
RE: David Peace: Red Riding series - 9/3/2010 6:47:12 PM   
Woger

From what I understand there are 4 books and 3 films. The second film combines books 2 & 3. I saw 1974 and my main issues were the same as the book, a bit "loose" at the start but when it gets going it's great, I thought the film took longer to get going.
The first and last book cover the same area (I think) and the second and third book deal with The Yorkshire Ripper. Going by Amazon the books improve after the first one, I'm going to try to get 1977 soon. I haven't read much crime fiction but I liked the book and as I said above the changes to the film are strange. If I get the second book I'll let you know what I think.

< Message edited by Woger -- 3/9/2010 5:44:59 PM >

- - -

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 6
RE: David Peace: Red Riding series - 22/3/2010 5:02:04 PM   
Woger

Finshed 1977 and well into 1980. Both are better than 1974; 1977 is told from the perspective of two characters form 1974. the story revolves around the Yorkshire Ripper murders. It gets into it right away but there are some passages hat represent the thoughts/background of one character that can be distracting. It definitely leaves you wanting more.
1980 is brilliant, very intriguing and really gets you thinking where the story will go. It revolves around a  new character being brought into look at the initial Ripper investigations and manages to tie in part of 1974. It looks like 1983 will deal with this story also and it should be na amzing pay off as there are mainy strands that haven't been tied up.
Sway; I'd definitely recommend it if you're into crime fiction but if you're more of a history/non fiction buff, it's hard to know. Definitely worth picking up over the airport fodder anyway.

< Message edited by Woger -- 3/9/2010 5:45:38 PM >

- - -

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 7
RE: David Peace: Red Riding series - 24/5/2010 10:44:17 PM   
Woger

Finished a the series a whiel back. Definitely worth checking out and I must re-read them again very soon. The books get better as they go along. 1983 continues from 1980 and also looks at events in 1974 from another characters perspective. One niggle is there are alot of characters to keep track off and it's easy to get lost.

< Message edited by Woger -- 3/9/2010 5:45:57 PM >

- - -

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 8
David Peace: Red Riding series - 31/8/2010 1:42:28 AM   
Sway

Right, so I'm onto 1980 just now.  

I have to admit, I've not enjoyed these as much as I thought I would.   I think it's the sheer number of characters in each book, especially since they all overlap, and once you get to 1980 it's sometimes impossible to remember who you've read about in the first two books or who's new.   Although my problem is probably the fact I've totally staged my reading of the books so far.  I've read a couple of random history books inbetween each of these, which means I kinda lose thread of what's going on.

It's taking my head a long time to adjust to the fact it's crime fiction - I'm so used to reading books that present me with facts straight away.  I'm not used to having to second guess everything, nor am I good at it.  So I've ended the first two books of the series thinking: 'eh?'   

I think I might enjoy the t.v series more... However I'm one of those people who feels the need to finish something once it's started, so I will read all the books first.

Edit: Also, his name is Peace, not Pearce!

< Message edited by Sway -- 31/8/2010 12:23:09 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 9
RE: David Peace: Red Riding series - 3/9/2010 5:43:41 PM   
Woger

1974 is mainly a set up, 1977 is very complicated (Jack Whiteheads thoughts/hallucinatiins don't help either) as a lot of things happen but there's no way of knowing what went on. 1980 expands a bit, but 1983 will answer a lot of questions. Like you say it's the volume of characters that makes it hard to understand. I just re-read them for the second time and still have questions. The blog below might help you wehen you've finished.
http://www.thoseweleftbehind.co.uk/2009/03/list-11-reasons-red-riding-trilogy-on.html

Damn, that's a lot of Peace edits.

< Message edited by Woger -- 3/9/2010 5:46:32 PM >

- - -

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> David Peace: Red Riding series Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI