Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Very overrated director...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Very overrated director... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Very overrated director... - 10/2/2010 10:24:14 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: rpem22

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Dark Knight was a technically well made film, but was a very shit film in regard to narrative, which was Chris Nolan's job to get right...Time will prove this to be true.

get. out.

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to rpem22)
Post #: 31
RE: Very overrated director... - 10/2/2010 10:51:48 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Dark Knight was a technically well made film, but was a very shit film in regard to narrative, which was Chris Nolan's job to get right...Time will prove this to be true.

What rubbish. The film is 2 years old now, people would have begun to catch on to your revolutionary thinking by now. And what exactly do you mean by over-rated? Too many people like him? Is that grounds for negativity?

(in reply to rpem22)
Post #: 32
RE: Very overrated director... - 10/2/2010 10:53:56 AM   
shool

I hate the term Overrated.

Overrated is overrated.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 33
RE: Very overrated director... - 10/2/2010 10:59:36 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I hate the term Overrated.

Overrated is overrated.

Its the laziest possible way of expressing disdain, which is probably why its popular with internet trolls.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 34
RE: Chris Nolan Overseeing Superman? - 10/2/2010 11:34:35 AM   
tftrman

Singer has kind of left WB with no choice but to reboot with the inclusion of superson in SR. Which is a shame, because I'd love to see both him and Routh back for another go but the kid was a step too far in the wrong direction.

And to say Nolan is overrated is nonsense.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 35
I wonder what will be the key Supes stories he'll read? - 10/2/2010 11:54:07 AM   
partybee

As previously mentioned, All Star Superman is a MUST!

Post #: 36
RE: Very overrated director... - 10/2/2010 12:51:08 PM   
ravagee

quote:

Did you hit your head whilst turning your computer on?

quote:

Superman has been on our screens non stop in whatever format for god knows how long, there is nothing new to tell. 

I totally agree, and I don't think Superman will ever match up to the success of TDK even if Nolan is 'mentoring' the process of it.
Sorry dudes, this idea should be laid to rest for a couple of years.

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

If I peed my pants would you pretend that I just got wet from the rain?

(in reply to rpem22)
Post #: 37
RE: Very overrated director... - 10/2/2010 1:15:37 PM   
Dr Lenera

I don't think this is good news at all. I'm not looking forward to another dreary Nolan [who is in my opinion usually an okay director but nothing special] Batman movie, and neither do I think that this director, who obviously has no real feel for the comic book genre, should be involved in another Superman. We'd have lots of out of place attempted realism, lots of tedious 'supposed darkness' [withoug REALLY going dark], a muddled narrative that just as it seems to end starts up again, very little action, more shots of skyscrapers than anything else, a tuneless droning score, and a Superman who speaks in a silly voice. No thankyou.

No doubt I'll get jumped on for this, as is indeed anyone who dares to say that TDK isn't very good [what sacrilege!].

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to ravagee)
Post #: 38
- 10/2/2010 1:32:00 PM   
Ghostwhowatchesmen

This is great.

Post #: 39
RE: Very overrated director... - 10/2/2010 1:39:20 PM   
Sotto Voce

Seriously, just because Nolan is acting as some kind of advisor, doesn't mean the film will be at all similar to his Batman films.
Superman Returns didn't really do it for me, so I welcome a new interpretation.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 40
Great News! - 10/2/2010 2:43:37 PM   
darth silas

WB should have learned from Nolan five years ago after Batman Begins awesome reboot,that that was the direction they should hve gone with a new Superman film,a fresh start for the character and not a lame indulgent nostalgia fest that Superman Returns turned out to be.Nolan rocks!

Post #: 41
DC - 10/2/2010 5:14:33 PM   
scruffylooking

Think he's being brought on board to merge the universes of the various DC characters, in the same way that Marvel is doing with the Avengers movie. Would not be surprised if that started to happen with his third Batman, with Superman being mentioned or even appearing in it. Agree that Routh did a good job as Supes in SR but it was the surrounding cast (Bosworth, in particular) and a weak plot that let things down. Also agree that Superman needs an enemy that he can go toe-to-toe with physically, although a Batman v Superman story line could work.

Post #: 42
Potentially Great News - 10/2/2010 5:50:55 PM   
hellboy22

Just wish they'd hurry up and get on with it. Supes won't be appearing in Bats 3 as Nolan has said his Batman doesn't lean or work well with others with powers although I hope he changes his mind as I love JLA and to Superman, Green Lantern and Batman together would be a thrill.
As for the next superman Flick I think Brandon Routh should be retained as he was an excellent superman and I'd even keep Spacey but lose the rest, hope they don't linger too much on the origin part again seen it too many times.......

Post #: 43
Superman 6. - 10/2/2010 7:11:40 PM   
Alistair

First thing's first. The best thing that they can do is to keep Batman and Superman separate. It might work in a comic, but not on film.

Secondly, Nolan's involvement in a new Superman film is great news. Bryan Singer did a fairly good job with Superman Returns but the story just wasn't as involving as it might have looked on paper (the kid was a bad idea - Where can you go with that?). And why was Lex Luthor the villain AGAIN?

It will be a shame that Brandon Routh will most likely never return to fill the red boots, too. He made for a very soulful, majestic Superman. Although I still don't understand why they made Superman's suit a dark red colour. It just looked odd.

Still, I trust that Nolan will lead this in the right direction. They still need someone very talented to direct this kind of film, though...

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to hellboy22)
Post #: 44
RE: DC - 11/2/2010 3:01:07 AM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: scruffylooking

Think he's being brought on board to merge the universes of the various DC characters, in the same way that Marvel is doing with the Avengers movie. Would not be surprised if that started to happen with his third Batman, with Superman being mentioned or even appearing in it.

Well, I'd be pretty freaking surprised if that happened. I don't think any sort of cossover will happen with Nolan's Batman. If they do Justice League or something, there will have to be a new version of Batman.

(in reply to scruffylooking)
Post #: 45
RE: Chris Nolan Overseeing Superman? - 11/2/2010 9:35:35 AM   
Kazuya

Well, well. Nolan has proven that he can handle the Batman mythology to near perfection, and although I can certainly see where Warner are coming from, I don't think he's the right man for the job, unless there's is some part of Nolan I haven't seen yet, a more lighthearted spirit, the approach for Batman will not work for Superman. I didn't like Singer's slow, boring retread of Donner's classic, it's actually funny that some of the fans of the film use Singer's flick as a way to belittle people who like their superhero flicks, especially the ones featuring Superman, to be funny, filled with action and adventure, you know, the way the comics used to be. So instead of an otherwise capable director who went off the deep end and delivered a lumbering, dead whale of an homage, let's have somebody fresh in the director's chair. And no matter how much I loved Routh's performance, the one good thing about Returns, I think the lead role should be recast.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 46
RE: Chris Nolan Overseeing Superman? - 11/2/2010 3:14:37 PM   
The Hooded Man

Will be interesting to see, Nolan's on record as a lover of sci-fi comics so I'm not surprised he's been asked to oversee the Batman Superman universe, DC obviously want to get this sorted out properly and are probably looking to culminate in a Justice League film. I wonder if we could be looking at Nolan doing what Peter Jackson did for Neil Blonkamp on District 9.
I think Returns' biggest problem was a poor script, it was a remake in all but name but wrote itself in corners as well.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 47
RE: Chris Nolan Overseeing Superman? - 11/2/2010 4:04:34 PM   
JIm R

As my first entry into the thread indicated, I see this as only good news.

I think it should be a direct sequel to Returns and not another 'origin' tale, you can't improve on the way the '78 original presented this.

Routh as well was mesmeric as both Superman and Clark Kent, don't re-cast please.

< Message edited by JIm R -- 11/2/2010 4:05:50 PM >

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 48
Bring back singer - 11/2/2010 5:19:54 PM   
countduckula

Bryan singer is one of the best directors in the world. Superman returns was subtle brilliance it was true to the originals, outstanding cast, visually impressive and just because there were no explosions and constant action people didn't like it. But I am a true superman fan and would like for him to get another chance and see doomsday make an appearance. If it gets the re-vamp it will be a shit cheesy movie just like the smallville series with no substance.

Post #: 49
- 11/2/2010 7:02:28 PM   
Adrian

re: alistair - Why was Lex Luthor the villain again? in a Superman movie? you seriously asked that? He's Lex frickin Luthor! that's why.

Post #: 50
Superman 6. - 11/2/2010 8:43:57 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adrian

re: alistair - Why was Lex Luthor the villain again? in a Superman movie? you seriously asked that? He's Lex frickin Luthor! that's why.

Yes, yes, yes, I know this. I know he's considered the main villain and of course they had to bring him back. But with the prospect of what could have been achieved in a new Superman film (with CGI etc) why didn't Bryan Singer bring something new to the table as well....such as a super villain?

Superman cannot fight Lex Luthor (obviously), and the film suffered. The film might as well have been called Superman Lifts, because that's all he seemed to do. A little taste of what we could expect from a truly epic Superman film was seen at the end of The Matrix Revolutions, with Neo and Smith fighting in the city at the end.

So what I'm saying is this - Keep Lex throughout, plotting his schemes and doing his best to kill Superman, but also bring a new villain to the fore...one that can really challenge Superman.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 11/2/2010 8:45:30 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Adrian)
Post #: 51
Bring back Routh !! - 11/2/2010 8:46:34 PM   
ASonic77

I say bring Brandon Routh back !! He's a little older and has had a lot more time to fine tune his acting skills. He did a good job with what he had to work with. He just acted according to what Singer wanted. I say give him another chance. But he has to put a little more bulk on him.

Post #: 52
RE: Superman 6. - 11/2/2010 8:55:48 PM   
Invader_Ace

Please whatever happens, do not do another freakin' origin film!
I don't think there's a need for origin films in general, but definately not with Superman and definately not again!

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 53
Superman 6. - 11/2/2010 9:07:27 PM   
Alistair

There's three sides to this Christopher Nolan led Superman film. One is - Continue the story (no origin) with different actors and, generally, a different 'feel' to the film, or...bring Brandon Routh back (he deserves it) and continue along this new path. Personally, I'd prefer it if they bring Routh back but change everything else (but still keeping the true spirit of what Superman should be). And the third option is to start again (new origin story), but that is pointless in my opinion as everyone knows the Superman story back-to-front.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 11/2/2010 9:08:16 PM >

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 54
RE: Superman 6. - 11/2/2010 10:36:11 PM   
rich

Superman Returns was kind of a big disaster because they didnt seem to want to take any risks after all the time since the previous ones - and were left with this weird 80% remake that fauns all over Richard Donner's original take and adds nothing but plot points that nobody will ever attempt to take up and finish - superboy? Etc.

At least Nolan's involvement signals a definate change of direction - I'm fine with Brandon Routh but the ideas and story need a total revamp.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 55
RE: Superman 6. - 12/2/2010 8:33:13 AM   
Kazuya

Like I said earlier, I loved Routh's performance in Returns, and he certainly deserves another shot, but I still think the role should be recast if they're gonna do a total overhaul and start from scratch. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely still go if Routh was indeed asked to come back, there would be a certain distracting element to that for me, he reminded me so much of Reeve that he sort of belongs in the Donner-esque imagining of Superman, that said I would probably get used to it, since Routh would most likely infuse the character with whatever was deemed appropriate for the story and style. There's also a slight age-thing to consider, Routh is 30, and if they wanna line up a whole series of Superman flicks, there may be a problem there, especially if they decide to do the moronic approach again and do the origin story. On the other hand Routh's features are boyish like Reeve's were and he could look youthful enough for another decade.. Anyway, I think my friend krudler mentioned in another thread that Superman is one of the heroes who doesn't need to be explained and examined to thoroughly, everybody knows Superman. Just do the adventures, fun, action-filled adventures.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 56
RE: Superman 6. - 12/2/2010 8:50:35 AM   
Sotto Voce

I think they will realise we don't want the origin story again. I think it would be good to have a completely original villain.
I also think they need to sever all ties with the Donner vesion. Possibly even the John Williams score, although it is brilliant, and made the title sequence the best part of 'Superman Returns'.

Spacey was a good choice for Luthor, but it would be a bit weird to bring him into a new version.
I found Routh a bit lacking in charisma anyway.

Shouldn't be 'dark' as such, but needs some emotional and dramatic depth.
Looking forward to it now.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 57
RE: Superman 6. - 12/2/2010 9:12:08 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

I think they will realise we don't want the origin story again. I think it would be good to have a completely original villain.
I also think they need to sever all ties with the Donner vesion. Possibly even the John Williams score, although it is brilliant, and made the title sequence the best part of 'Superman Returns'.

Spacey was a good choice for Luthor, but it would be a bit weird to bring him into a new version.

Returns contained the elements you mention, the balance was fine. Was as dark as it should be, any Nolan / Singer collaberation should follow the same way.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 58
RE: Superman 6. - 12/2/2010 3:49:49 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

Returns contained the elements you mention, the balance was fine. Was as dark as it should be, any Nolan / Singer collaberation should follow the same way.

Yes, I agree it was good in that respect.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 59
RE: Superman 6. - 12/2/2010 4:03:12 PM   
The Hooded Man

Brainiac attacks Earth, forges alliance with Lex Luthor who wants Superman dead, Superman defends Earth while Clark struggles with feelings for Lois, giant scraps between Superman and Brainiac. What's difficult about that?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Very overrated director... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI