Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: re: Euro 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: re: Euro 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 2/12/2011 8:48:23 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Ireland have a very tough group but best luck of to them. They deserve to be there and I'm sure they'll give it their best go.

Gee, thanks. I don't think that could have sounded anymore patronising if you tried.

Under Trapp our record against Italy is D2 W1 L0. We played Croatia in August and that was a 0-0 and being honest we are nowhere near as good in friendlies as we are in competitive matches. And England just beat Spain and if England can do it we can hammer them.

So yeah, we have nothing to fear. We're not San Marino here.

No offense to San Marino.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 61
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 2/12/2011 8:53:29 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Gee, thanks. I don't think that could have sounded anymore patronising if you tried.

Actually, that was genuine, it wasn't patronising, it was out of respect for the difficult group your in, not for the fact your competing in the tournament so jump back down of your high horse.

As an England fan, I'm in no position whatsoever to make any kind of sarccy remarks at other national teams, and I still think we'll balls it up next summer anyway.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 62
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 2/12/2011 8:57:52 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

Actually, that was genuine, it wasn't patronising, it was out of respect for the difficult group your in, not for the fact your competing in the tournament so jump back down of your high horse.

As an England fan, I'm in no position whatsoever to make any kind of sarccy remarks at other national teams, and I still think we'll balls it up next summer anyway.

Apologies if I misinterpreted it, but "I'm sure they'll give it their best go" strikes me as "There there, well I'm sure you'll try and not get embarrassed."

We're in it to win it, baby!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 63
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 2/12/2011 9:00:49 PM   
Goodfella

No, there was no hidden meaning, I expect Ireland to give it their very best shot and play with the integrity and passion that we probably won't.

In fact the way I feel about England these days, I may just support Ireland next year...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

Post #: 64
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 3/12/2011 10:15:22 AM   
superdan

quote:

No way man, we're going to win it easy! Easy!! With England's brave John Terry reinstalled to the all-important captaincy, the always-reliable Rooney to make a barnstorming return to the team after we've crushed the group without even breaking a sweat and Stewart Downing making Waddle in his pomp look like a clown, there's no point in any other team turning up! ROAR etc.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 65
RE: EURO 2012 - Poland and Ukraine - 3/12/2011 12:45:42 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby
England are jammy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut
What are you talking about? Piss easy group as usual for England. Unless Ukraine get a MASSIVE, MASSIVE boost from home advantage England should cakewalk into the knockouts.

So we get France, who are a better side, rebuilding and have already taught us a lesson less than a year ago at Wembley.
Then we get to go to play the hosts who'll still have everything to play for.
Followed by a match against Sweeden where we will need a result.

If we get through that (and there were tougher groups) we are linked to the Spain/Italy group, and if we finished 2nd we will most likely be lined up with Spain.

Piece of piss,  semi's here we come

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 3/12/2011 6:17:01 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 66
RE: EURO 2012 - Poland and Ukraine - 3/12/2011 1:57:32 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I wouldn't bother Bob. You are damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you'd have been saying poor group, England are going to progress you'd be arrogant and not respecting the other teams and seeing England's clear limitations at international level.

This is one of the strongest tournaments I can remember. It certainly makes me question extending the number of teams that qualify for the final stages of subsequent tournaments. Before yesterday's draw, I'd have had Germany as clear tournament favourites. But in a group of their arch rivals Holland as well as Portugal and a Danish side that could be underestimated, they could be forgiven if they didn't get out of that group.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 67
RE: EURO 2012 - Poland and Ukraine - 3/12/2011 2:13:04 PM   
jonson

Yeah, I agree. I think it's a tough group, England will need to play very well to get out of it.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 68
RE: EURO 2012 - Poland and Ukraine - 3/12/2011 4:21:57 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Dodgy group for England. T'is gonna be tough but not as tough as it could have been.

What are you talking about? Piss easy group as usual for England. Unless Ukraine get a MASSIVE, MASSIVE boost from home advantage England should cakewalk into the knockouts.

Yeah, England will cakewalk it as usual...

Its a tough group with dodgy teams, we don't tend to beat Sweden in competitive games, Ukraine will have a boost from playing at home and France are a good team. Cakewalk...

Ukraine are rubbish and Sweden are mediocre. If you can't beat those teams you might as well pack up and go home now.

Lol so are England.

Post #: 69
RE: EURO 2012 - Poland and Ukraine - 3/12/2011 6:20:22 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

Ukraine are rubbish and Sweden are mediocre. If you can't beat those teams you might as well pack up and go home now.

Lol so are England.

...........not according to the Irishman.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 70
RE: EURO 2012 - Poland and Ukraine - 3/12/2011 7:10:18 PM   
directorscut

Jesus Christ. Being an England fan must be the most depressing sport in the world.

"We finished top of our qualified group! We're doomed!"

"We're in one of only two easy groups in the finals!" It's the end of the world!"

I'm surprised Lars von Trier hasn't made a movie about a group of England fans yet.

Post #: 71
RE: EURO 2012 - Poland and Ukraine - 3/12/2011 7:25:30 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Jesus Christ. Being an England fan must be the most depressing sport in the world.

"We finished top of our qualified group! We're doomed!"

"We're in one of only two easy groups in the finals!" It's the end of the world!"

Not what we are saying at all,  just that it isn't a forgone conclusion, and looking at the groups there is an easier one.
I would say there isn't much between our group and if we'd been put in with the ROI instead of the Italians.
Croatia and ROI, or Sweeden and one of the hosts, swings and roundabouts.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 3/12/2011 7:27:37 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 72
RE: EURO 2012 - Poland and Ukraine - 3/12/2011 7:59:19 PM   
superdan

I'm waiting for someone to say England should qualify from the group easily, and then see if it's met with accusations of 'typical English sense of entitlement' or some such guff. Catch 22 - show optimism and it's arrogance, show realism and it's hopeless negativity and pessimism.

Post #: 73
RE: EURO 2012 - Poland and Ukraine - 3/12/2011 8:19:58 PM   
directorscut

England should qualify from the group easily.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 74
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 3/12/2011 8:43:40 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

No way man, we're going to win it easy! Easy!! With England's brave John Terry reinstalled to the all-important captaincy, the always-reliable Rooney to make a barnstorming return to the team after we've crushed the group without even breaking a sweat and Stewart Downing making Waddle in his pomp look like a clown, there's no point in any other team turning up! ROAR etc.

When did you start working for The Sun!?

quote:

Piece of piss, semi's here we come

I'm holding you too that Bob. It's not about arrogance or disrespecting the opposing nations, or it's more about England's struggles in recent finals and in my case, the lack of faith I have in the management and the squad selections we will go with next summer. This England team is definitely going through a transitional period and I don't expect any further than the quarters, and it'll be hard enough work just to get there, we certainly shouldn't underestimate this group.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 75
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 3/12/2011 9:37:15 PM   
superdan

If we make the quarters I'll be very happy with that, though I would be both astonished and mightily impressed if we got further given we would be likely (though obviously not guaranteed) to face either Spain or Italy.

To be honest, as long as they aren't as fucking awful and embarrassing to watch as they were in SA I don't really care how far they get. I'd also prefer to see a youthful team given a chance, even if they don't get out of the group, since it gets tiresome watching the same players fail in tournaments every couple of years.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 76
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 3/12/2011 9:43:20 PM   
Olaf

quote:

If we make the quarters I'll be very happy with that, though I would be both astonished and mightily impressed if we got further given we would be likely (though obviously not guaranteed) to face Ireland when we come second behind France.

fixed

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 77
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 3/12/2011 9:45:47 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

If we make the quarters I'll be very happy with that, though I would be both astonished and mightily impressed if we got further given we would be likely (though obviously not guaranteed) to face Ireland when we come second behind France.

fixed

Would be amazing.

Edit: In the sense it would be like a derby match for atmosphere, not in the sense that it would be unlikely to ever happen

< Message edited by superdan -- 3/12/2011 9:47:31 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 78
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 3/12/2011 10:20:42 PM   
directorscut

quote:

If we make the quarters I'll be very happy with that, though I would be both astonished and mightily impressed if we got further given we would be likely (though obviously not guaranteed) to face either Spain or Italy.

To be honest, as long as they aren't as fucking awful and embarrassing to watch as they were in SA I don't really care how far they get. I'd also prefer to see a youthful team given a chance, even if they don't get out of the group, since it gets tiresome watching the same players fail in tournaments every couple of years.

X - You have been marked.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 79
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 8/12/2011 11:42:56 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Rooney back for final match in the group stages then. meh

Post #: 80
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 8/12/2011 12:47:25 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Rooney back for final match in the group stages then. meh

v poor by UEFA and the FA. Rooney was stupid and although I know the rules and punishments are different from the PL he should have taken the 3 matches. While I think the opinion of the FA in the wider football community is harsh in my opinion, bullying UEFA into these types of decisions won't help us.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 81
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 9/12/2011 12:46:12 PM   
Arron_

I'd be perfectly happy to see an England team go out at the group stage/quarter finals, but actually go at teams and play with a sense of adventure.

Post #: 82
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 15/12/2011 8:02:00 PM   
directorscut

David Villa "breaks his leg".

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/spain/2011/12/15/2804360/barcelona-confirms-david-villa-will-be-sidelined-for-up-to

Expect more "injured" Spainish players in the run up to Euro 2012 as they succumb to the fear of facing the Giants of Ireland.

(in reply to Arron_)
Post #: 83
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 29/5/2012 7:56:42 PM   
directorscut

FIFTY-FOUR INTERNATIONAL GOALS for Robbie Keane as Ireland continue to steamroll their way to European domination.

Post #: 84
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 29/5/2012 8:05:20 PM   
directorscut

2-0.

Coxxie.

Post #: 85
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 29/5/2012 8:30:13 PM   
directorscut

3-0. FIFTY-FIVE international goals for Robbie Keane.

Post #: 86
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 29/5/2012 9:20:22 PM   
Skiba

You lot are playing again?

Have a good time, all the time.

Post #: 87
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 29/5/2012 9:26:29 PM   
directorscut

Not anymore. We just wiped the floor with a Tuscan XI Selection 5-0.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 88
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 29/5/2012 9:32:08 PM   
Professor Moriarty

From the RTE website (maths not being the strong point)

Republic of Ireland 4-0 Pistoia XI

Robbie Keane scored twice as the Republic of Ireland eased to a 4-0 win over a Pistoia select XI in Tuscany.
Keane put Ireland ahead on 18 minutes with a crisp strike from the edge of the box (ONE GOAL). Simon Cox tapped in a second (TWO GOALS) before setting up a third for Keane on the half hour (THREE GOALS).
Second half goals from substitutes Shane Long (FOUR GOALS) and Jonathan Walters (FOUR + 1 GOALS?) sealed a comfortable victory on a night free of injury worries.

Post #: 89
RE: re: Euro 2012 - 29/5/2012 9:36:33 PM   
Olaf

Petrarch, Dante, Botticelli, Michelangelo, Niccolo Machiavelli, Leonardo da Vinci, Galileo Galilei, Amerigo Vespucci! Your boys took a hell of a beating!

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: re: Euro 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI