Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Invictus - 5/2/2010 10:20:49 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Invictus - 5/2/2010 10:20:49 PM   
moviemaniac2

Not dramatic enough for a movie about mandela - but the feelgood factor, and performance by Morgan Feeman helps the film along

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Invictus - 5/2/2010 10:20:50 PM   
moviemaniac2

Not dramatic enough for a movie about mandela - but the feelgood factor, and performance by Morgan Feeman helps the film along

Post #: 3
- 7/2/2010 1:12:23 AM   
malaga

I really enjoyed this movie, but went to see it with someone who found it a little dull. The difference in opinions, we realised after comparing notes, came about from our feelings toward rugby. I watch every game the All Blacks play, and several they don't, I talk about rugby and moan about the coach. I am a big fan, while my companion is not, and that made the difference to how engrossing we found the movie. While I found the portrayal of our team as being a bunch of sideliners and one man doing all the work a little insulting, I came out feeling positive about an All Black loss.

Also, I feel as though it'll be a little harder to boo the Spring Boks when they come to the next World Cup, so Eastwood must have done something right.

Post #: 4
- 7/2/2010 2:16:50 AM   
malaga

I really enjoyed this movie, but went to see it with someone who found it a little dull. The difference in opinions, we realised after comparing notes, came about from our feelings toward rugby. I watch every game the All Blacks play, and several they don't, I talk about rugby and moan about the coach. I am a big fan, while my companion is not, and that made the difference to how engrossing we found the movie. While I found the portrayal of our team as being a bunch of sideliners and one man doing all the work a little insulting, I came out feeling positive about an All Black loss.

Also, I feel as though it'll be a little harder to boo the Spring Boks when they come to the next World Cup, so Eastwood must have done something right.

Post #: 5
RE: Invictus - 8/2/2010 12:43:50 PM   
ravagee

I'm not a big Rugby fan myself but this film was so heart-warming and enjoyable that I'm really keen to watch it again.

I've always been a huge Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman fan so finally seeing them paired up together was pretty much a dream come true. The story is directed and written beautifully by Clint Eastwood, showing the reality of the racial difference in South Africa. Freeman's portrail of Nelson Mandela was as excellent as I expected it to be. It was feel good, the soundtrack fitted and the story fell into place well.

It's not a fast-paced or intense film, so it's more suitable for those who just love to watch a historical tale.

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

If I peed my pants would you pretend that I just got wet from the rain?

Post #: 6
RE: Invictus - 8/2/2010 1:20:12 PM   
adambatman82

I too really enjoyed this. Eastwood manages to make the dullest of sports entertaining, and gives an era of history a fresh angle.

(in reply to ravagee)
Post #: 7
RE: Invictus - 15/2/2010 10:57:01 PM   
Sway

Oh dear.   This wasn't really any better than I'd expected it to be, and I had low expectations.   It was generally a bland affair which can be summed up by the scene in which Pienaar joins Mandela for a cup of tea, 'well that was nice wasn't it?'

Everything about the movie was nice.  Obviously Clint Eastwood wanted to make an accessible film that didn't play too hard on the politics card, nor too hard on the sport card in order to maintain a balance between the two.  Which he did very well.  However it just leaves the whole affair lacking any true....hmm, how should I put it?.... Oomph, if you will.   

While Freeman's Mandela was arguably the heart of the film, Damon's Pienaar was disappointingly not really anything.  Bit of a phone-in for Damon who I normally really rate as an actor. 

The problem with the balance struck between the two main components of the film (issues of apartheid, and the rugby) is that you simply don't feel strongly enough about either to particularly feel elated when one is used to overcome the other.    Small examples of the fall-out effect from apartheid are addressed (e.g Mandela's security guards and their additional members), aswell as small clips of important rugby matches which were designed to up the anticipation, but the lack of depth put into either issue leaves you feeling fairly detached.

Personally I think there's too much going on in this one film to make it really good.   I know it was based on a book, and the story behind it is unquestionably inspiring and heartwarming, but it simply doesn't work on screen.  Mandela's compassion and inner convictions are really what you'll remember after the film, so it's ashame that such a figure is relegated to several small insights throughout, rather than a full blown biopic which could then have *touched* upon the Springbok's story.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 8
RE: Invictus - 17/2/2010 10:01:24 PM   
Dr Lenera

Clint Eastwood is one of the best and most consistent directors around, but Invictus is a little disappointment-of course this doesn't mean it's dreadful, far from it, it just falls short of his usual high standard. It looks and feels pretty convincing but it's a great deal more simplistic than you'd expect, with everything painted in black and white and in fact it seems that too much of an effort has been made to make it audience friendly. It starts promisingly with Mandela moving into office with some nicely judged scenes of awkwardness betwen the white and black security guards but in the end just seems to skim the surface and worse of all you also don't really get to know Nelson Mandela at all, at times it seems he's almost been relegated to the sidelines. Nonetheless as a sporting drama it does work much of the time although I personally didn't understand the rules of rugby after seeing the film anymore than I did before. These scenes are shot with surprisingly fast cutting and camera movement for an Eastwood film-in fact it doesn't really feel much like it's from him at all. Still, it does become quite rousing, you will feel like cheering and the film will probably make you feel good afterwards. There are also a few well placed chuckles in the script which don't grate. Morgan Freeman was supposedly born to play Mandela although he doesn't really sound like him and to be honest Matt Damon outacts him. A solid effort then, certainly no disgrace, but a little too worthy and somewhat shallow.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 18/2/2010 8:36:17 AM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 9
RE: Invictus - 22/2/2010 11:20:45 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Personally I think there's too much going on in this one film to make it really good.   I know it was based on a book, and the story behind it is unquestionably inspiring and heartwarming, but it simply doesn't work on screen.  Mandela's compassion and inner convictions are really what you'll remember after the film, so it's ashame that such a figure is relegated to several small insights throughout, rather than a full blown biopic which could then have *touched* upon the Springbok's story.

I thought it was moving, uplifiting and despite some dodgy rugby play, really exciting.

All the criticisms I've read seem to stem from the fact that it wasn't A Long Walk To Freedom, but for what it was - a story of Mandela unifying his country through rugby - I thought it was fantastic.

Sure, some things were brushed over, others made up (such as the Boks dismissing the new anthem, and others not expanded on (such as the relationship between the rival security teams), but I really enjoyed it.

Freeman was fantastic and though Damon didn't have much to do but rally the Boks, I thought he was great as Piennar, if a tad underused. I'd also liked to have seen more of the security teams and how their relationships grew.

However, my love for the film probably comes from the fact that I love international rugby and I can't wait till I go to NZ next year for the Rugby World Cup 2011!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 10
Emotional filmmaking with star performance from Freeman - 8/4/2010 10:34:10 PM   
djphilips

Invictus will definitely be one of the most underrated films of the year. The highlight of the film is obvioulsy the beautiful performance from Morgan Freeman, who quite frankly simply IS Nelson Mandela. Watch any YouTube clip of the ex-President and then a Freeman scene from Invictus. They're identical.
Clint Eastwood carries the film along brilliantly, and even though this may not exactly be his best work, he still gets the job done superbly, and then some. Anthony Peckham's writing, I feel, should have focused more on Mandela himself rather than the Rugby World Cup, as viewers don't really get to know the man throughout the course of the film. Also, Damon's character should have been more well-constructed, as we never really glimpse what he wants and believes in. As a result, Damon isn't left much room to get into the character the way he may have wanted to.
Still, an enjoyable experience which you will love and enjoy.

Post #: 11
Invictus - 27/4/2010 12:29:29 PM   
Soprano168

Invictus might not be the strongest of Eastwood's latest string of movies but its always gripping and the man seems incapable of making a bad film.

Post #: 12
RE: Invictus - 8/6/2010 12:45:44 PM   
Timon

Is there a difference between the Blu Ray and the normal DVD release?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Soprano168)
Post #: 13
RE: Invictus - 9/6/2010 8:56:05 AM   
efc91

Despite some parts being a bit slow this was a great film.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Invictus - 9/6/2010 3:18:28 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Spot on.
Bland was exactly the word i was going to use.
It's not a bad film,but given the subject matter,the director and the cast,surely you have to expect more?
And i like rugby(even though the rugby was shot the way Escape to Freedom shot football).
It was a decent Sunday afternoon film,but nothing memorable and certainly not an addition to the Blu-Ray collection.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 15
RE: Invictus - 10/6/2010 1:18:39 PM   
Timon

Bland? Pfff. It's inspiring, moving stuff....

I stand by my comment that most of the complaints about the film come from the fact that it's not Long Walk To Freedom.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 16
RE: Invictus - 11/6/2010 12:17:38 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Timon,it's bland!
I didn't expect Cry Freedom,i know the subject matter wasn't go to go that route,but it didn't really go any route.
After this film,i don't believe for one second Nelson Mandela gave a flying fuck about the Springboks-or indeed anyone should,in real life.
Does that not illustrate where the film failed?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
RE: Invictus - 14/6/2010 7:08:35 PM   
Luke B

In the early 90s Nelson Mandela was released from prison and soon after supported the South African rugby team to bring the nation together. Personally it was not my sort of film however I did enjoy Grantoreno which was also directed by Clint Eastwood but there are some fantastic rugby scenes that draw me more towards the movie.

Post #: 18
RE: Invictus - 14/6/2010 8:59:46 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I too really enjoyed this. Eastwood manages to make the dullest of sports entertaining, and gives an era of history a fresh angle.

HOW can you think rugby is dull, let the alone the "dullest of sports"!?

If anything this film made rugby appear much more dull than it actually is, altogether an average feel good film, but not outstanding

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 19
RE: Invictus - 14/6/2010 11:15:48 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I think that's a side criticism probably levelled at every sports film ever made-possibly except Chariots of Fire.
But i do agree,it was rugby filmed badly,and with it being the central theme and taking a lot of screen time,to be honest,it began to grate.
The story,as intended,COULD have been inspiring,Clint just had an off day,and to be fair,he doesn't have many.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 20
RE: Invictus - 30/6/2010 2:41:51 AM   
ElephantBoy

It is one of those rare films that capture how a big spoting event can bring a nation together, and the rugby scenes were wonderful.  However the acting left a lot to be desired, I'm not a huge Damon fan, and Freeman just seemed to be slightly more larger than life version of himself.  I too found it undramtic.

Post #: 21
- 3/11/2010 12:11:06 PM   
reminn

Average.

Post #: 22
Good - 21/4/2011 9:48:29 AM   
the film man

This is actually a realy good film, but the only problem was it didn't realy inspire me.

Post #: 23
Invictus Review - 20/12/2011 11:58:47 AM   
the film man

Delivered with typically stately precision from director Clint Eastwood, Invictus may not be rousing enough for some viewers, but Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman inhabit their real-life characters with admirable conviction.

Post #: 24
RE: Invictus Review - 4/5/2012 3:59:31 PM   
lovewych

I thought this was really poor. It wasn't till the credits rolled that I saw it was an Eastwood film, and I was quite shocked that he had filmed something so mawkish and unsubtle, not to mention badly shot and edited. Plus the rugby was filmed by someone who doesn't understand the game. Poor Matt Damon had nothing to do, except probably cringe at the acting abilities of his team mates. In fact, the more I type, the angrier I'm getting so I'll leave it there before I start slagging off Million-Dollar Baby or Gran Turino.

Fire in the hole

Lottery, Podium, Dream Ticket

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 25
RE: Invictus Review - 4/5/2012 3:59:46 PM   
lovewych

I thought this was really poor. It wasn't till the credits rolled that I saw it was an Eastwood film, and I was quite shocked that he had filmed something so mawkish and unsubtle, not to mention badly shot and edited. Plus the rugby was filmed by someone who doesn't understand the game. Poor Matt Damon had nothing to do, except probably cringe at the acting abilities of his team mates. In fact, the more I type, the angrier I'm getting so I'll leave it there before I start slagging off Million-Dollar Baby or Gran Turino.

Fire in the hole

Post #: 26
RE: Invictus Review - 4/5/2012 3:59:54 PM   
lovewych

Fire in the hole

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Invictus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI