Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Youth In Revolt - 4/2/2010 7:13:00 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
. - 4/2/2010 7:13:00 PM   
spamandham

Not bad at all, especially the 'Francois' bits. I am slightly partial however, as I would watch Cera in anything, even if he appeared in an episode of crimewatch.

Roll on arrested development.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Youth In Revolt - 5/2/2010 10:26:02 AM   
ravagee

I like Cera, a lot, but this film just doesn't cut I don't think.
The problem with the teen flicks now is that they are all trying to be too much like Superbad and you know, it's getting sort of old.

The story wasn't a half bad concept (haven't read the book so I'm not sure how much credit it actually gives it)... but I thought it felt like something was missing. Besides, the trailer makes it out to be a different story then it actually is, and that was annoying.
Seen much better.

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

If I peed my pants would you pretend that I just got wet from the rain?

Post #: 3
- 6/2/2010 6:38:00 PM   
Bighousewill

A hilarious film quirky and fun if a little wierd Michael Cera is very good this is better than Juno in my opinion. I expect great things from Michael Cera I cant wait to see what else he can do.

Post #: 4
- 6/2/2010 7:31:39 PM   
robbycripwell86

Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it, although I'm a big Michael Cera fan and it definitely helps. Great to see him playing a different type of character with the Francois Dillinger bits, and playing him very naturally as well.

http://inaneopinion.co.uk/film/ceriously-good/

Post #: 5
Another great Cera peformance - 6/2/2010 10:13:28 PM   
kristyw

Funny, unusual, well acted film. Michael Cera is great as usual but this is not quite his normal role. Would recommend!

Post #: 6
Only funny scenes were shown in trailer - 6/2/2010 11:29:50 PM   
LFCLavery

Although there were glimpses of a 4 star comedy these were few and far between and the comedy stars who appear were non-existant . Although Cera was funnier than usual he was still predictable and boring. If you consider going to see this film watch the trailer because it shows the few funny scenes that there were without the pointless story.

Post #: 7
Should be #51 of your worst movies ever made.... - 7/2/2010 6:31:35 AM   
Jokershideout

This was/is one of the ABSOLUTE WORST movies I've seen in the theater in a long long time. How on Earth did the credible Empire magazine find it in their hearts to give this a hefty four star rating???

With the exception of the few scenes of Cera acting beyond his usual self with just a "couple" of decent lines this was boring, terrible storytelling, dialog was messy and unbelievable, even Ray Liotta seemed wasted here.

Best bit: he flips over the cereal bowl at the breakfast table and takes off - that shit was funny!

Post #: 8
Whats Wrong With The People Below?! - 9/3/2010 9:00:54 PM   
BenJones44212

This movie is great, you get exactly what you expect from everyone involved here. Michael Cera is again fantastic as the guy who cant get the girl...untill the end of the movie. Another apearence from Zach Gilifinakis (the hairy guy from The Hangover), one in which isnt exactly funny but great to seem again anyways. Go see this film, it doesnt dissapoint!

Post #: 9
Youth In Revolt: Genius! - 19/7/2010 7:26:59 PM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

This is the kind of film I love watching, it was funny, it had a good story and it was an overall feel good film. One of Cera's best performances by far, although I would like to see him expand and try something completely different like a proper badass villain. Not a film that I can see sequels from, thank God, but still a great little indie film.

Post #: 10
- 5/8/2010 12:26:34 PM   
Katamarang

I don't get how this got FOUR stars. it is definitely not Superbad meets Fight Club, the characters are all really annoying as is the script. It's not that I hate this kind of quirky, indie type film, I loved Juno and Superbad, but this is a crap attempt at that kind of film. Seen it all before and done much much better. Irritating film.

Post #: 11
Youth in Revolt: Film Review - 8/8/2010 6:17:41 PM   
Matthew Pattinson

Youth in Revolt: Film Review

Here's the thing. If you dress a rhino in a clown suit, it's still a rhino. If you place a cowboy hat on a panda, it's still a panda. And whatever film Michael Cera stars in, he's still Michael Cera.

Now don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Cera up to now. His geeky persona has lent itself well to a litany of films. I got quite a kick out of Juno and Superbad, not to mention the fact that he was the best thing in the disappointing Year One.

The problem is that Youth in Revolt is a film too far for Cera. The backlash has officially begun.

Youth in Revolt: Cera at Fault

If, unlike me, you haven't tired yet of seeing Cera playing a dorky dweeb, then you'll be more tolerant of this mild-mannered comedy. Personally, I found myself more frustrated than a Formula 1 driver in a traffic jam.

Cera plays the articulate teen, Nick Twisp, who'll do anything he can to win the affections of his dream girl Sheeni.

That's pretty much the plot. Youth in Revolt is more a character study.

Youth in Revolt: A Screenplay Full of Narration

I don't get what all the fuss is about when it comes to narration. A million and one 'how to write screenplay guides' claim it's a lazy man's way of conveying exposition, of furthering plot.

I'd argue the opposite. When done properly, narration works. In the case of Youth in Revolt, Cera links the ensuing action together by means of his dry, sarcastic narration.

It's one of the few successes of the film.

If it succeeds on any level, it's tapping into the novelistic vibe of its source material, CD Payne's novel, Youth in Revolt. Cera's narration really helps in creating this feel.

Youth in Revolt: Not Awful, Not Good

Youth in Revolt is far from awful. The problem is that it's been done a million times before and a million times better. And the blame doesn't lie squarely at the feet of Cera. Director, Miguel Arteta, has to shoulder the bulk of responsibility. It was Arteta, after all, who delivered the film which burst the Michael Cera bubble.

There is little doubt Cera has deliberately typecast himself in the quirky mould. It's what he does best. But if the actor has more than one gear, now is time to shift up a notch.

If you've never seen a Michael Cera film before, then quite possibly you'll fall for the charm of Youth in Revolt.

Those who are familiar with his career though will find nothing new in this film. For Cera, Youth in Revolt is just another day at the office. Now where's the revolution in that?

(Matthew Pattinson is a freelance copywriter at www.creativepen.co.uk)

< Message edited by Matthew Pattinson -- 8/8/2010 6:22:21 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Youth in Revolt: Film Review - 19/9/2010 12:03:17 PM   
sanchia

I must admit that the film is somewhat lacking.

Cera's performance isn't really up to the challenge of carrying the film with very much a drab and one note presentation. There is no real change when he is scared from when he is angry, from when he is pretty much every other supposed emotion. Few of the characters have any redeeming features and it is difficult to emote with them or sympathise with the situation.

The script. It is neither drama or comedy and sadly it is not a very successful hybrid. The drama doesn't hold up very well and the amusing moments are not particularly amusing and more often fall flat. It does err more to the drama. The film itself seems to be a collection of sketches put together whereby Cera's character is gradually falling deeper into a personal mental breakdown but this leads to a very patchy film. Some of the episodes work but more do not.

At best a 3* but in my view closer to a 2 1/2 to 2 *

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Matthew Pattinson)
Post #: 13
RE: Youth in Revolt: Film Review - 20/9/2010 5:17:33 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I'm saying nothing

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 14
RE: Youth in Revolt: Film Review - 20/9/2010 8:51:02 PM   
hampstead bandit

saw this a few weeks ago

enjoyed it and found it entertaining, but did not think it was anything special, and certainly not as good as the Empire review / hype

my girlfriend found it pretty boring, I find she is a useful barometer for my film reviews, as a film fan I tend to enjoy most films unless terrible, whereas she gives a more balanced viewpoint as a typical consumer (i.e. not a film nut)

3/5 from me

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Youth In Revolt Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI