Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Why Avatar will win best picture - guaranteed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Why Avatar will win best picture - guaranteed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why Avatar will win best picture - guaranteed - 2/2/2010 11:38:06 PM   
sjessep

I'm not calling it a conspiracy, but increasing the number of Best Picture nominees from five to ten is seriously going to damage the chances of smaller Independent films in years to come. The Academy is made up of mostly technical personnel (eligibility comes from getting a nomination), a vast contingent of whom will always vote for the biggest, most expensive, most successful film - the Titanic's, The Return of the King's. It's the ultimate self-congraulatory act of slapping themselves on the back. By increasing the number of nominees what you're going to get is a split of votes across the smaller films from the remaining members. How many potential votes for The Hurt Locker will now go to A Serious Man or District 9 (two films that would not otherwise have picked up nominations)?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
Sam Rockwell ! - 2/2/2010 11:59:03 PM   
Martinmac1

Sorry if this has already been posted , but I just want to see if anyone else shares my disappointment and even rage at Sam Rockwell being omitted from the best actor nominations. Hes an actor thats good in every film hes in and it takes a special actor to keep the audiences attention for 90 mins by yourself , yet I was hooked .

Get a petition sent to the academy everyone !

Post #: 92
RE: Terrible Nominees - 3/2/2010 1:01:08 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Western23
What the hell is so good about The White Ribbon and Harry Potter?

If you had any real concept of what cinematography is all about you wouldn't even be asking that question. Not only was the White Ribbon one of last year’s best films - but it was also one containing stunningly-realised usages of composition, monochrome and lighting. THAT is why it was deservedly nominated!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Western23)
Post #: 93
Oscars - 3/2/2010 2:40:30 AM   
JJB888

A very intresting list and may I just be the first to state my approval that the Cove gets a best documentary nomination. However I am mostly happy with the nominees but I like many others think Avatar was a five star experience but as a film it is very good but being nominated for this many Oscars is suprising considering way better films havbe been snubbed. I am unhappy with In the Loop's acknowledgement (the best comedy of 2009 in my view), it gets one nomination, it is stupid to be honest. Glad to see Up and (jaw droppingly) District 9 being both rightfully acknowledged. Indeed this could be a very intresting ceremony. Although I have a feeling Avatar will win over all the others, again.

Post #: 94
RE: The Irish Arrive At The Oscars... - 3/2/2010 3:05:58 AM   
Topher L

I really hope Avatar doesn't take best picture.  It's a beautiful show piece, but that's it.  If it wins....I....just don't know anymore.

"Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis"

(in reply to general_potatoface)
Post #: 95
- 3/2/2010 8:51:25 AM   
Metalion

Avatar overlooked in the best original script category? Is this a joke? The script is so unoriginal that it should have several titles: Pocahontas, The New World, Avatar or whatever else shares the same story.

Post #: 96
Where the hell is Zoe Saldana? - 3/2/2010 9:28:48 AM   
marchman

Really dissappointed that the academy decided to ignore Zoe Saldana's amazing performance in Avatar! Oh and why was the lovely bones also ignored with one nomination!

Post #: 97
- 3/2/2010 10:07:12 AM   
plum bob

Metalion - dude u have to admit, the script was a damb squib! awful, cliched lines. I dont even think it deserves to be considered for an award in this area!

Post #: 98
- 3/2/2010 11:01:20 AM   
ash333

The only award Inglorious Basterds should win is best supporting actor.. Messy script and general lack of direction should deny it anything else.

Best adapted screenplay for District 9

Avatar to go home with technical awards only

Post #: 99
Mann was robbed! - 3/2/2010 11:08:20 AM   
Flickums

Am I the only gutted that Public Enemies didn't get a single nomination?

Post #: 100
RE: Sam Rockwell ! - 3/2/2010 1:33:32 PM   
Burry83

I agree Rockwell is beyond good in every film regardless of the role. He needs to win something soon

(in reply to Martinmac1)
Post #: 101
RE: Why Avatar will win best picture - guaranteed - 3/2/2010 2:44:42 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sjessep

The Academy is made up of mostly technical personnel (eligibility comes from getting a nomination),

Except it's not. You add up all the tech people and they only slightly outnumber the actors. So by the time you factor in writers, directors, producers, etc, they're nowhere near to being the majority.

quote:

a vast contingent of whom will always vote for the biggest, most expensive, most successful film - the Titanic's, The Return of the King's

Except they don't. If they did The Dark Knight would have been nominated and won last year, rather than a small film like Slumdog. Even out of the nominees, they could have gone with Button and didn't. The biggest and most expensive doesn't always win. Far from it.

(in reply to sjessep)
Post #: 102
RE: Yawneroo - 3/2/2010 3:45:07 PM   
FritzlFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: entropy608

What a dreary old list - the ten film thing just goes to underline the poor quality of films in 2009 overall.

That's only the case if you can't look past obvious Oscar bait.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to entropy608)
Post #: 103
Avatar to win everything! - 3/2/2010 6:14:34 PM   
harrypotter118118

I believe that Avatar should win in nearly every catergory it's nominated, purely because it was an awwesome movie!! I'm disappointed it isn't in the Best Original Screenplay though...*shrugs* If all else fails it's a shuh-en that James Cameron win Best Director; the guys a legend!

Post #: 104
RE: Mann was robbed! - 3/2/2010 9:33:47 PM   
Nefruaten

Flickums, we must be the only two people who liked Public Enemies. I thought it was really well shot. Not sure about acting nods as no one but Depp really featured heavily in the movie.I was really upset the Christian Bale was not really in that movie.

Yes, Sam Rockwell has been robbed - big time. I loved Moon. one of my favourite films of last year, and Duncan Jones should have got a nomination.

I agree also with sjessep that Best Picture nomination are just technically good picture, not necessarily great on acting, direction or script. Avatar really should only be getting technical awards because it was not the best film for script, acting or direction.

My predictions are:

Best Actor - Morgan Freeman )and rightly so!!
Best Actress - Sandra Bullock (although I'd love Ga
Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow (this might be the upset of the night)
Best Picture - Avatar (and I hated typing that!)
Best Supporting Actress - Monique
Best Supporting Actor - Christophe Waltz (only thing worth watching in Inglorious)

(in reply to Flickums)
Post #: 105
moon! - 4/2/2010 7:54:29 AM   
jaime6575

I agree, Moon and Sam Rockwell should be in these nominations somwhere , what about the amazing atmospheric music score by Clint Mansell?

Post #: 106
RE: moon! - 4/2/2010 9:45:14 AM   
BobM70

Watched Inglourious Basterds again the other night on Blureay.
I think Quentin should win Best Director. It's flawlessly put together. I never thought he was as good a director as he was a writer. But here he showes he's learned a lot. Just think how hard it is to (effectively) use 4 languages in a film and make it work. The first 20 minutes are brilliant in building tension but the (short) action scenes later in the movie show expert skill also. Much better than he did in Death Proof.
I was pleasantly surprised.
Waltz is so good, it would be a laughing shame if he didn't win.

Avatar is great, great fun. Enough has been said about story and acting. But Cameron did a superb job of making this all work. Directing isn't just technical. It's making everything work as a whole. So what he did here was extraordinary. Wouldn't mind if he won Director.

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to jaime6575)
Post #: 107
Avatar. Is. Rubbish. - 4/2/2010 10:16:50 AM   
Nakedrampage

How can a film that has no original ideas; no memorable characters; no convincing dialogue (someone actually says "bring the pain"); one of the most predictable and contrived plots ever committed to film; an attitude towards both disability and deforestation so patronising it manages to undermine any serious discourse on either subject; a film that manages to get a terrible, wooden performance out of someone as talented as Sigourney Weaver; that drags on for over two and a half hours and yet manages to not provide any depth to the story or characters whatsoever be considered for Best Film? District 9 is, conceptually, almost identical (sceptical outsider infiltrates alien community with intention of moving them on, instead becomes one of them and fights off invasion by his own species) but executes it with infinitely more skill and care and still manages to look spectacular. I know it won't win. Avatar will. Thats how the oscars work. But it should.

< Message edited by Nakedrampage -- 4/2/2010 10:28:32 AM >

Post #: 108
- 4/2/2010 11:29:28 AM   
Sarah.anne

However much the Avatar actors brag that it is them acting under all the effects, none of the leads where nominated for best or best supporting actor/ress. Andy Serkis was not nominated for Gollum or King Kong because of debate over how much of the performance was actually his under the CG. Not that I think the acting was exceptional in Avatar but I would like to see future works by the likes of Andy Serkis recognized and if there was going to be one film to push the awards over the edge, I was betting it would be a James Cameron one. Maybe Serkis' next role will do it. Really thought Sharlto Copley from District 9 should have been nominated too. But I agree that Inglorious Basterds was one of the best films of the year.

Post #: 109
Disappointed. - 4/2/2010 12:26:01 PM   
pirategirl13

The first thing I'm going to say is WHY, why, is Avatar nominated in nine categories? I can understand that technology and special-effects-wise. it was grounbreaking and amazing. But as a movie, it wasn't that good. At all. The dialogue was laughably bad, the message heavy-handed, and the plot was basically Pocahontas with ten-foot blue alien cat people. Visionary stuff, there.

But the fact that Up, an animated film, has a best picture nod makes me very happy! True, it doesn't stand much chance of winning, but it's still wonderful! It was one of the cleverest, most charming, most sensitive, and emotional movies I saw this year. I really hope it at least wins Best Animated Feature, although Fantastic Mr. Fox was also excellent.

Frankly, Where the Wild Things Are was the best film I saw this entire year. And no nominations whatsoever. The screenplay was incredibly amazing, and deserves a Best Adapted slot. It was deep and dark, true - but so incredibly emotionally real. Max Records was every bit as good as any child actor I've ever seen on film. And the combination of puppetry and CG was ingenious and led to a realism that simply cannot be achieved with all the bells and 3D whistles of Avatar. Karen O's music was haunting, spirited and beautiful. I would have liked one of the songs at least to be recognized. If there was any justice in the world, Spike Jonze would have James Cameron's place for Best Director.

Public Enemies was better than Invictus and MUCH better than the Blind Side. I would have liked to see a nod...

And (500) Days of Summer was also amazing. I'm disappointed Joseph Gordon-Levitt didn't get the Golden Globe he deserved... and even more disappointed that the film isn't recognized at all here.

Oh well. There are still a lot of excellent movies and artists nominated, and they deserve every bit of praise and honor they recieve.

Post #: 110
Totally agree with Pirategirl13 - 4/2/2010 1:09:36 PM   
62Parker

I bloody loved District 9, but nominating it for best Pic is like nominating Robocop or Predator, its fantastic but it ain't exactly Schindlers List, neither is that blue cat cartoon for that matter, but that'll win (groan)

Post #: 111
Totally agree with Pirategirl13 - 4/2/2010 1:18:27 PM   
62Parker

I bloody loved District 9, but nominating it for best Pic is like nominating Robocop or Predator, its fantastic but it ain't exactly Schindlers List, neither is that blue cat cartoon for that matter, but that'll win (groan)

Post #: 112
Anna Kendrick!? - 4/2/2010 1:57:03 PM   
Annihilate Now!

I can't understand for the life of me how Anna Kendrick was nominated for Up in the Air.... She's not just average in that film, she's bloody awful. Wooden, boring, and when she "breaks down crying" its so bad it's funny! Seriously... that has to be one of the worst nominations for acting ever.

(in reply to 62Parker)
Post #: 113
RE: Anna Kendrick!? - 4/2/2010 2:28:00 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Annihilate Now!

I can't understand for the life of me how Anna Kendrick was nominated for Up in the Air.... She's not just average in that film, she's bloody awful. Wooden, boring, and when she "breaks down crying" its so bad it's funny! Seriously... that has to be one of the worst nominations for acting ever.

That was supposed to be funny!

(in reply to Annihilate Now!)
Post #: 114
RE: Anna Kendrick!? - 4/2/2010 3:28:06 PM   
Annihilate Now!

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

That was supposed to be funny!

I considered that at first... but considering the nature of the film, i don't see why its suppose to be funny?? The love of her life has broken up with her... in a film thats so serious about the relationship between various people... why on earth should this be funny?

Admitidily, if they were going for humour, thats a slant on the film and not at Kendrick... but the rest of her performance still sucked. Especially in comparison to the other two sterling leads.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 115
Huh? - 4/2/2010 3:39:23 PM   
Hillsman

Is this officially the WORST bunch of oscar nominations ever? Then again, I can't quite remember thinking to myself that any particular actor, actress, film or director even deserves one. Haven't seen The Hurt Locker, but from the sounds of things, it should lift Best Film & Best Director. Would be happy enough to see Clooney get the nod for best male - the leading female category is just absolutely appalling this year.

Post #: 116
RE: Huh? - 4/2/2010 11:31:13 PM   
King Dave

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hillsman

Is this officially the WORST bunch of oscar nominations ever? Then again, I can't quite remember thinking to myself that any particular actor, actress, film or director even deserves one. Haven't seen The Hurt Locker, but from the sounds of things, it should lift Best Film & Best Director. Would be happy enough to see Clooney get the nod for best male - the leading female category is just absolutely appalling this year.

Don't know about that, I thought Carey Mulligan was superb in An Education. And Sidibe put in a good performance in Precious, though the film wasn't really my thing. Unfortutely Bullock will most likely walk away with the Oscar for her performance in 'generic inspiration sports drama #375' AKA The Blind Side.

My predictions:

Best Picture: Avatar, there's a few films I'd prefer to see win this, but with the sheer commercial power Avatar has I wouldn't be at all surprised if it won.
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow.
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges.
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock.
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, though I'd prefer to see Woody Harrelson take it.
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique.
Best Original Screenplay: Inglorious Basterds.
Best Adapted Screenplay: District 9.
Best Animated Feature: Up.
Best Foreign Film: A Prophet.

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 117
RE: Huh? - 5/2/2010 12:41:38 AM   
JoeyPottr

I hope Sandra Bullock and Jeff Bridges get it for best actress and actor, Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker as director and Matt Damon as best supporting actor for Invictus. Best picture, I don't really care this year, maybe The Hurt Locker.

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to King Dave)
Post #: 118
RE: Huh? - 5/2/2010 1:42:34 AM   
Nefruaten

I think generally the Oscars are becoming more commercial and not about film making. I prefer to look at the awards from the Guilds and the film festivals. The Oscar have become a major marketing tool for the studios to plug their films and make more money. Studios spend more money advertising movies around Oscar time than they ever did ten years ago.

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 119
Let the Right Nominees In! - 5/2/2010 11:21:14 AM   
Good_Film_Hunting

The fact that Let The Right One In has not been nominated for Best Picture - LET ALONE Best Foreign Language Film! - is the greatest travesty this year. Shame on you, Academy.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Why Avatar will win best picture - guaranteed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI