Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 2/2/2010 5:43:28 PM   
stewart4

As entertaining as Avatar is, I really hope it doesn't win Best Picture because it was, quite simply, not the best picture of the year. The Hurt Locker, Up in the Air and Up had far fewer flaws.
Also, Empire, lovely Empire, why oh why would you even consider Avatar as a possible-contender-for-Best Original Screenplay-that-just-missed-out? The dialogue and structure in that film were more wooden than the Home Tree itself...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
hmm - 2/2/2010 5:47:22 PM   
postgrape

guess Oscar wasn't impressed with The Road. nice to see A Serious Man getting at least a couple of nods though. As for Let The Right One In, was that even up for contention? I mean it's a terrific film, but wasn't it out round about this time last year? Not sure when their cut-off point is...

Post #: 62
Best Film and Effects! - 2/2/2010 5:47:42 PM   
Hungry_Howie

Avatar for best film? I really enjoyed it and all but seriously, where the hell is moon? That is by far one of my favourite films this year and not a single nomination. It deserves to be nominated for effects even though it would almost certainly lose out to avatar but still deserves a nomination. And definitely deserves to be in for best film instead of avatar.

Post #: 63
- 2/2/2010 5:50:01 PM   
Rain Dog

God please tell me there are some in the Academy with sense who won't allow Cameron to walk away with anything other than a technical award (cause even they would go to the people who, y'know, CREATED the effects and not the one there shouting 'Bluer! I want them BLUER!!')
And Up In The Air gave me the same feeling as Juno, very good movie but really, not THAT good.

Post #: 64
RE: - 2/2/2010 5:54:59 PM   
Qwerty Norris

In The Loop for best adapted screenplay???

GET IN!!!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Rain Dog)
Post #: 65
- 2/2/2010 6:14:04 PM   
efc91

I'm happy with the nominations nothing surprised me apart from Matt Damon finally getting a nomination its been ages, in my opinion he should have got a nomination for The Departed and The Talented Mr Ripley. Will have to go see Invictus on Friday. I hope The Hurt Locker wins big.

Post #: 66
- 2/2/2010 6:14:40 PM   
Dirtyfunkymonkey

Let the Right one in is a 2008 movie, so that's probably why you idiot...

Anyways, I too am happy District 9 got nominated, shame Sharlto Copley was not mentioned. Thought he was excellent, however I'm pleased that Renner is in there. Personally I would like to have seen Downey Junior in there for Holmes. I thought he was on top form and you get a sense he was thoroughly enjoying himself

Post #: 67
same old,same old - 2/2/2010 6:22:27 PM   
jw08062005

You can almost predict the nominees. Great news about District 9 and In The Loop. Upset that Star Trek and Where The Wild Things Are are not up for best picture. I'm waiting for the day when a great actor knocks one out of the park in a blockbuster movie and Oscar cannot possibly ignore them. GO DOWNEY!!!!

Post #: 68
same old,same old - 2/2/2010 6:24:29 PM   
jw08062005

You can almost predict the nominees. Great news about District 9 and In The Loop. Upset that Star Trek and Where The Wild Things Are are not up for best picture. I'm waiting for the day when a great actor knocks one out of the park in a blockbuster movie and Oscar cannot possibly ignore them. GO DOWNEY!!!!

Post #: 69
same old,same old - 2/2/2010 6:26:46 PM   
jw08062005

Post #: 70
same old,same old - 2/2/2010 6:27:59 PM   
jw08062005

Post #: 71
Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star.- W.C... - 2/2/2010 6:30:08 PM   
ieuanmorgan

Seriously?
Not a single nomination for "Moon"?
Its freaking awesome.

Post #: 72
RE: same old,same old - 2/2/2010 6:34:01 PM   
kenada_woo

So........that's the list of the BEST films of last year?

Very surprised with District 9 in there and Im sure Blomkamp is aswell. If that's up for best film and writing then its wide open IMO...Zombieland or Star Trek should've been in with a shout.

It'll be a win for commerce if Avatar wins the major awards as its basically candy floss for a mass audience. Great film as it is, it makes a change from the more serious award hungry movies that get churned out...

Or is it just showing the lack of quality out?

The Hurt Locker should bag the major awards as its got the right mix (indie film, serious subject, universal acclaim etc)...but The Coen's are a dark horse in all this IMO.

No Moon?
No The Road?

< Message edited by kenada_woo -- 2/2/2010 6:44:49 PM >

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to jw08062005)
Post #: 73
Overall-pleased - 2/2/2010 6:50:53 PM   
lushagoonie

Not bad really, im overall pleased with the noms and i know not every GOOD movie from last year can be nominated but films i wish had at least got a mention-
The Road
(500) Days Of Summer
Adventureland
Watchmen
State Of Play
Moon
Away We Go
Martyrs (although that may have been year before, but im still discussing now)

Post #: 74
RE: The Oscar Nominations Are Announced! - 2/2/2010 7:03:22 PM   
Tech_Noir

Transformers 2 doesn't get a nomination for visual effects.

I know people hate the film but give the effects guys a little credit.

And I'll be rooting for Kathryn Bigelow of course.

Post #: 75
RE: The Oscar Nominations Are Announced! - 2/2/2010 7:16:18 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Transformers 2 doesn't get a nomination for visual effects.

I know people hate the film but give the effects guys a little credit.

And I'll be rooting for Kathryn Bigelow of course.

I think Formers 2 falls into that "everyone hates it so we'll forget about it" category that something like the last 2 Matrix films fell into in regards to the FX - even though they're pretty flawless FX work or at least cutting edge.

Avatar has it in the bag anyway.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 76
Terrible Nominees - 2/2/2010 7:29:28 PM   
Western23

Wow. Only one nomination for The Lovely Bones and none for The Road!!!!. Are you f*&$ing serious!!? The Lovely Bones should've scored more in the technicals, specifically for cinematography. What the hell is so good about The White Ribbon and Harry Potter? And why isn't Saoirse Ronan up!!? That has to be one of the greatest snubs this year.

The Road, where shall I began?: No best picture nominee? I guess The Blind Side is better (detect the sarcasm?) No best actor, best cinematography and adapted screenplay?!! Especially screenplay!! Come on!!!

This year sucks. The only thing I'm glad about, that was predictable, is Inglourious Basterds' nominees; I'm rooting for that now. And I'm glad District 9 was recognized, because at least Peter Jackson, actually Sir Peter Jackson, has his first Oscar nom since The Return of the King. I think that was more of a statement towards what he's done this year. He made The Lovely Bones, produced District 9, developed The Hobbit and Tintin, and, supervised Weta's handling of Avatar's CG (which is the only reason that film is being recognized for anything, it has no substance what so ever). Sir Peter Jackson is easily the filmmaker of the year, not James Cameron.

Overall these awards suck. I'm happy to see Robert Richardson get another nomination for cinematography, that's awesome. I'm happy too for District 9, and the Coen brothers; a screenplay nomination AND best picture!!!! That's unbelievable.
But The Lovely Bones should've been up for more, including Saoirse Ronan for actress and Andrew Lesnie for cinematography, and The Road should've been up for atleast one thing---that's bullsh*t!!!.

Post #: 77
- 2/2/2010 7:36:37 PM   
reelbigmartin

Post #: 78
WTF?!?!?!!? - 2/2/2010 7:36:59 PM   
reelbigmartin

Wheres Avil in Best Doc? or Best pic for that matter!

Post #: 79
RE: WTF?!?!?!!? - 2/2/2010 8:13:36 PM   
Taizy

Am chuffed Maggie Gyllenhall has a nomination, it's always a bummer for us on this side of the pond who won't have been able to see all the films but I'm sure she's great in 'Crazy Heart'. I love Jeff Bridges in 'Fabulous Baker Boys' and he is a fantastically charismatic musician so would love to see him take the Best Actor trophy.

Phillp Seymour Hoffman in Schynedoche, New York should have been nominated for best actor, as should Dianne Wiest for supporting actress for the same film (can't spell it again!) but maybe the whole film was a head trip too far for voters. Shame

Some people call it stalking but it's just selective walking...

(in reply to reelbigmartin)
Post #: 80
RE: The Oscar Nominations Are Announced! - 2/2/2010 8:16:40 PM   
tommypocket

Will people stop harking on about Moon. It was a film designed to be a vehicle to showcase the (admittedly superb) acting talents of Sam Rockwell - Duncan Jones has been very honest about this. The directing is unremarkable and the story itself is so dependent on deus ex machina that the experience is flat and unfulfilling...

As a vehicle for Sam Rockwell it succeeded; he (along with Jones' clout) lifted the film from the straight-to-DVD shelf...

I guess we all just want a 'cult' favourite to be included - unfortunately this has been a quiet year for breakout, independent cult pictures... Moon being one of the few that made it through.

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

Post #: 81
- 2/2/2010 8:20:50 PM   
LouisBond

Some big names got dropped =|
The Moon, The Road, Lovely Bones, all to squeeze in Harry Potter?
What the hell. I'm not Oscar.

Post #: 82
The Irish Arrive At The Oscars... - 2/2/2010 8:21:18 PM   
Greagoir

Great to see us Irish up for four oscar nominations in four different categories!!! 'The Secret of Kells' in the Best Animation Picture is a fantastic film made on a fraction of what the other films its up against. 'The Door' is in Short Film: Live Category about a family in Chernobyl. 'Granny Mac Grimm' is in the Short Film: Animated Category and Dubliner Richard Baneham is among the nominees for the Best Visual Effects Catergory for 'Avatar'....
Fly the flag folks and bring home glory!!!!! Eire go brea!!!!!

Post #: 83
The Irish Arrive At The Oscars... - 2/2/2010 8:30:06 PM   
Greagoir

Great to see us Irish up for four oscar nominations in four different categories!!! 'The Secret of Kells' in the Best Animation Picture is a fantastic film made on a fraction of what the other films its up against. 'The Door' is in Short Film: Live Category about a family in Chernobyl. 'Granny Mac Grimm' is in the Short Film: Animated Category and Dubliner Richard Baneham is among the nominees for the Best Visual Effects Catergory for 'Avatar'....

Post #: 84
- 2/2/2010 8:54:46 PM   
komic book guy

ahem. An education.......really. needless to say all the brits voted for that. only reason its in. and what about young miss saoirse ronan. and the rest of the lovely bones cast and crew. Bar stanley tucci. once again the oscars screw up in some area or another. The Hurt Locker to win best picture and bigelow to win best director. the king of the world can kiss her ass. although he probably has already...

Post #: 85
WTF - Matt Damon!! - 2/2/2010 10:01:23 PM   
Nefruaten

You've got to kidding me. OK, so I dealt with the upper cut punch that the Academy dealt to The Dark Knight last year. A very popular film with critics and fans and a good film - but major nominations. So can someone please tell me why on god's earth Avatar has been nominated for best picture! Let's face fact - it wasn't that great. After an hour of big blue people it Avatar started looking like a scene from Lord of the Rings. The story was shoddy, just like Cameron's other Oscar winning film Titanic. It's just special effects!!! - I also agree with a lot of other people - why was Moon not nominated. One of the best films of last year and Sam Rockwell - it's a travesty he hasn't been nominated. I don't get the Academy's lust for Penelope Cruz and Matt Damon?!!! - Now I've seen Invictus and its very good but Matt Damon's role is not Oscar material. I'd love to see Firth win but I think it might be Sir Freeman's 3rd gong - he deserves it. I'm routing for Precious and Kathryn Bigelow. We need a woman to win best director.

Post #: 86
- 2/2/2010 10:13:31 PM   
Rain Dog

God please tell me there are some in the Academy with sense who won't allow Cameron to walk away with anything other than a technical award (cause even they would go to the people who, y'know, CREATED the effects and not the one there shouting 'Bluer! I want them BLUER!!')
And Up In The Air gave me the same feeling as Juno, very good movie but really, not THAT good.

Post #: 87
BEST ANIMATED PICTURE......AVATAR right? - 2/2/2010 10:34:11 PM   
boredbluekoala

I'm thinking it'll be a mixed bag this year, Hurt Locker will win director, Avatar best pic. Bridges for best actor and Bullock for actress(it's her turn) Supp actor is obviously Chris Waltz and Supp actress will be Mo'nique. Then we get best screenplay which will go to Tarantino and best adap screenplay to Geoff fletcher for Precious(it's one of those WORTHY movies)

Post #: 88
RE: - 2/2/2010 10:45:52 PM   
TUCK PENDLETON

Just been checking on Rotten Tomatoes for the 10 nominated films -

Up - 98%
District 9 - 90%
The Blind Side - 70%
An Education - 95%
The Hurt Locker - 97%
Inglorious Basterds - 89%
Precious - 91%
A Serious Man - 87%
Up in the Air - 90%

Star Trek, easily the most entertaining film of last year, is at 94%, only beaten by 3 of the ten films and it gets snubbed, yet The Blind Side with only 70%, and Avasnooze with 82%, get chosen. I love James Cameron, but Avatar is not even in my top ten of the year, let alone best bloomin picture! Up or District 9 are far more deserving.

Play with it pal, but dont talk to it

(in reply to Rain Dog)
Post #: 89
RE: The Irish Arrive At The Oscars... - 2/2/2010 11:35:19 PM   
general_potatoface

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greagoir

Yeah, I think the Animated category is very strong this year. I haven't seen The Princess and the Frog yet, though, obviously.

The Secret of Kells I thought was not so very hot in the story department. The Irish Mythology stuff seeemed kind of watered-down and unsatisfying or something. Then There's the ould "Island of Saints and Scholars" stuff.

But it was visually absolutely gorgeous and the best advertisement for Irish animation talent anyone could wish for.

(in reply to Greagoir)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI