Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Just a quick shout of...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Just a quick shout of... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just a quick shout of... - 2/2/2010 2:50:04 PM   
Pipkin3

....YAY! At last someone has recognised H Potter's really nice cinematography. Won't win, but still.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
- 2/2/2010 2:56:09 PM   
plum bob

I've got to completely agree with 'Nicola Brierley' - Up for best picture. Come on, u all knw u'd love to see it happen!!

Post #: 32
- 2/2/2010 2:58:12 PM   
Twone77

No Oscar nomination for Sam Rockwell for 'Moon'?

WTF?????

And no nod for Clint Mansell? Just goes to show the academy members truly do have their heads stuck up their arses.

Post #: 33
RE: The Oscar Nominations Are Announced! - 2/2/2010 3:04:53 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I might have known Avatar would be nominated. It's not that great a film. On technical ability it is outstanding because the special effects and cinematography were excellent. I've not seen it but The Hurt Locker should probably win, just to knock the sense of entitlement off Cameron's face.

I'm surprised to see Tarantino in the Best Director category since Pulp Fiction. I hope Christoph Waltz bags the Oscar for best Supporting Actor.

So it's between Jeff Bridges, Morgan Freeman and Colin Firth for Best Actor. I want Freeman to win simply because he is playing Nelson Mandela, but apparently Bridges is superb in Crazy Heart.

Post #: 34
- 2/2/2010 3:10:34 PM   
Nicola Brierley

It would be so good to watch James Cameron get beaten to the Best Picture by an old man and a talking dog!

Post #: 35
- 2/2/2010 3:15:54 PM   
Nicola Brierley

It would be so good to watch James Cameron get beaten to the Best Picture by an old man and a talking dog!

Post #: 36
RE: - 2/2/2010 3:21:51 PM   
hatebox

I can't help but feel 10 Best Picture noninations cheapens the whole affair. I know they wanted to make amends for nominating The Reader over The Dark Knight last year but was this really the right way to do it?

(in reply to Nicola Brierley)
Post #: 37
RE: - 2/2/2010 3:22:06 PM   
BudBaxter

Can Up win both Best Picture & Best Animated Feature?

Fairly sure in previous years you had to pick which category you wanted to be nominated in. Everyone thought Wall-E was going to get a Best Picture nom, but Pixar went for the Animated one instead as it was a much better bet.

(in reply to Nicola Brierley)
Post #: 38
- 2/2/2010 3:25:32 PM   
Blue Ryan

I am so happy Up has been nominated for best picture. Also The morgan Freeman, Matt damon nominations are great as i thought they were entirely believable as there roles in invictus. Avatar, Up or District 9 foir best picture. James Cameron for best director.

Post #: 39
poor wild things - 2/2/2010 3:30:36 PM   
jkoopa

seriously? no nominations for Where the Wild Things Are at all? thats just stupid. but i am very, very happy that A Serious Man got nominated for best picture. I would be so happy if it became the little film that could

Post #: 40
RE: - 2/2/2010 3:31:12 PM   
hatebox

I think it'll be Hurt Locker's night. After the ridiculously populist Golden Globes the Academy may want to separate itself. 

(in reply to Blue Ryan)
Post #: 41
- 2/2/2010 3:31:49 PM   
ThismonkeyhasRAGE

For me this is the last ton of earth shovelled unto a coffin that had its last nail a long time ago.

I have objections to:

The Blind Side for Best Picture. In fact I think its an offence to human decency.
Sandra Bullock for Best Actress - same as above.

Nothing for 'Moon', or Sam Rockwell, or the Art Design. The art design itself is the biggest crime - with that small a budget, the film is a miracle.

Viggo Mortenssen not nominated for his astounding performance in The Road - The Road getting nothing at all, not even cinematography.

I would also agree that Sharlto Copely deserved a nomination, and think that the Best Actor section is very very weak this year.

The mere continuation of 'best foreign film' as a ghettoisation of anything not in the english language is something i object to, but even accepting it as a category, it's very weak. And where on earth is Let the Right One in?

So many other problems with this years nominations. The Academy awards are just a total joke now.

Post #: 42
Moon! - 2/2/2010 3:38:06 PM   
olixander

They never get the acting nominations correct. Sam Rockwell deserves best actor by far; this is perhaps even a bigger travesty than Mickey Rourke not winning it last year. However I'm sure the more socially (and morally) relevant Empire awards will give Rockwell the gong. It needs to be televised, then eventually becoming more important than the BAFTAs.

Post #: 43
Moon and Empire's Predictions - 2/2/2010 3:51:17 PM   
Boydcape

A SERIOUS miss out on the Moon front. For Sam Rockwell to not even get a nod angers and disappoints me.

ALSO I seriously hope Empire Online (you guys) do a Oscar competition where we can see all of your votes and also put our own predictions in.

Avatar will win. Sorry to those who refuse to admit it, but it's true.

Post #: 44
NEW MOON PLEASE - 2/2/2010 3:54:44 PM   
vascov

Precious. geez. give us all a big break!!!
go Hurt Locker and QT. take them all! Clooney for bet actor!

WAIT, what about New Moon? for godsake!!! not even a nomination! to go along with precious and blind side and that lame sh*t!

btw..why on earth is UP in best film if its also in best animated feature? i guess thats why theres a animation category in the first place, right??

Post #: 45
Up in the Best Picture? - 2/2/2010 3:56:57 PM   
GuitarGal_China

I'm a bit surprised at this inclusion of Up in this particular category, mainly because the last time an animated feature was in this category, it led to the new category 'Best Animated Feature'. But fair credit, there are a lot of good films in the Best Picture list but hope Bigelow gets it and gets out of Cameron's shadow.
Thrilled to see Tarantino back in the Oscar Nominations - crossing fingers that Christoph Waltz bags that trophy, as well as Tarantino for Best Original Screenplay.
District 9 - thank God that's in there. This could possibly take Best Adapted Screenplay.
Lack of Brit nominees this year but that is to be expected.

Bring on the sweepstake!!

Post #: 46
RE: Moon and Empire's Predictions - 2/2/2010 3:57:09 PM   
eruptus

I'm calling it now: Christopher Plummer wins a sympathy Oscar, even though Waltz deserves it.
The academy has given the award to villains two years in a row (Chigurh, The Joker), so maybe they don't want to give awards just to bad guys anymore.

I also bet that they aren't pleased that Landa, who is the coolest character in IB, is a nazi who's not just one-dimensional beast. It sucks if Waltz loses, but it's totally possible...

(in reply to Boydcape)
Post #: 47
NEW MOON PLEASE - 2/2/2010 3:58:48 PM   
vascov

Precious. geez. give us all a big break!!!
go Hurt Locker and QT. take them all! Clooney for bet actor!

WAIT, what about New Moon? for godsake!!! not even a nomination! to go along with precious and blind side and that lame sh*t!

btw..why on earth is UP in best film if its also in best animated feature? i guess thats why theres a animation category in the first place, right??

Post #: 48
IN THE LOOP!!!!! - 2/2/2010 3:59:43 PM   
Schlisten

Everyone loves a bit of well-written F**cunt

Post #: 49
hmm - 2/2/2010 4:01:02 PM   
johnpond1989

No "the road" anywhere... that's odd.
But I wanted charlie kaufman for script or film synecdoche, new york is very original and ver oscar worthy. Also district 9? Watchmen deserved that (serious but for the geeks)spot for sure.

Post #: 50
IN THE LOOP!!!!! - 2/2/2010 4:06:56 PM   
Schlisten

Everyone loves a bit of well-written F**cunt

Post #: 51
- 2/2/2010 4:29:04 PM   
cca3

I'm worried that Empire get a bit starstruck when discussing big films like Avatar etc. As a movie I quite enjoyed it but for Empire to seemingly show shock at its lack of an Original Screenplay nomination is astounding, mainly because the script, to put it kindly, sucked balls. It was hardly even original. The acting also was not Oscar calibre and although Saldana is solid in it I think (much like the Academy obviously) that she is not worthy of a nomination. The film was greatly flawed in many respects and if it wins Best Film (which I fear it might) it would be a travesty because it quite clearly isn't the best film. Up, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds and District 9 are all superior films and more deserving of the title.

Post #: 52
effects - 2/2/2010 4:37:36 PM   
swinehobbit

Avatar will win, but for my money district 9 were more impressive considering the budget and limitations.
Invictus for best pic not because it's better but fact based historical drama? Hello academy! Mind you No Country won so maybe there is a sea of change coursing through hollywood. Empire has better awards ceremony though.

Post #: 53
What has happened to the Oscars? - 2/2/2010 4:44:11 PM   
hemibell

Do these awards mean anything anymore? Can we really be expected to care that much when we don't have an effect on the small committee that chooses who to award?
Glaring ommissions: Moon, Watchmen...and who the hell is saying New Moon should get an Oscar nom instead of gold like Precious and Up? Maybe we shouldn't all vote for who gets an Oscar after all.

Post #: 54
FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM CORRECTION - 2/2/2010 4:51:46 PM   
ashesx

In the section Foreign Language Film the correct movie title is "El secreto de sus ojos" ;)

Post #: 55
RE: What has happened to the Oscars? - 2/2/2010 4:52:21 PM   
Plinglebob

Up is pretty much a lock for Animated, though it being nominated in both could split its vote and give Coraline a chance. Only other Oscar win I really want to see is Carey Mulligan.

(in reply to hemibell)
Post #: 56
Ummm.... - 2/2/2010 5:04:15 PM   
HeyAllYouGuys

WHERE THE HELL IS LET THE RIGHT ONE IN?
HUH?
jeez, the academy need a kick up the arse.

Post #: 57
- 2/2/2010 5:18:23 PM   
sanchia

Most of the nominations for Avatar I can understand but best film? This film was visually stunning but the epitome of unoriginal dialogue and plotting. If this is the best then I would hate to see what failed to make the grade.

Post #: 58
- 2/2/2010 5:19:44 PM   
Smokinator

*************!!!
The academy need a good kick up the ass "ooh look james cameron made a film, ets give him loads of nominations!" District 9 was so much butter than avaturd.

Also Sam Rockwell for best actor!!!

also, vascov r u a dumbass? new moon was crap

Post #: 59
Where the wild things are!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 2/2/2010 5:29:13 PM   
Smokinator

my second comment but seriously Max Records (Max), Spike Jonze (Director) and the film itself are all great.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Just a quick shout of... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI