Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jet Li Is Fearless - 2/2/2006 8:54:18 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Bit rubbish - 2/2/2006 5:28:35 PM   
martinsmith93

He's great at kung fu so why stop? Why not just work some more of that acting stuff into his kung fu flicks? Jet Li minus kung fu. It'll be RIchard Ashcroft and The Verve all over again.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 2/2/2006 9:50:50 PM   
billythehick

wont they have to change the name? cos of the jeff bridges movie and all?

Post #: 3
i just saw this.. - 31/3/2006 3:49:23 PM   
wAkE_uP_nEo

i've just watched 'Fearless' having bought the DVD on my recent trip to Hong Kong and I have to say it's a great movie.. there is plenty of breathtaking action and if this is to be Jet Li's last action movie then it is definitely a worthy way to bow out. I read that one of the he is thinking of retiring from action movies is because he has many recurring injuries that he has picked up along the way and he's been told for years now that he risks ending up in a wheelchair. As for the name change, I don't know if they'll have to change it.. I mean what about Crash (David Cronenberg) and Crash (Paul Haggis)? The name of the movie in Chinese is actually just Fok Yuen Gap (in Cantonese) or Huo Yuanjia (in Mandarin) which is just the name of Jet Li's character. Those of you well-versed in martial arts movies will have come across the character before (at least in name) as the deceased founder of the Jing Wu martial arts school depicted in both Bruce Lee's 'Fist of Fury' and Jet Li's remake 'Fist of Legend'.

Post #: 4
RE: i just saw this.. - 30/4/2012 8:05:02 AM   
Phubbs

Fearless (2006)

Exquisitely lavish is a good way to describe this Jet Li film, I thought this was some kind of silly action flick or another historical ancient Chinese dynasty film with more semi bald Chinese blokes mixed with a fantasy element, but boy was I wrong. Turns out this is actually a biopic of a famous martial artist by the name of Huo Yuanjia as we follow his life of training in the art of Wushu.

I was slightly dubious as I started to watch this as many Eastern martial arts films tend to be very over the top with their fight sequences and use too much mystical hocus pocus over realism. To my joy this film is very down to earth and a very solid steady epic which clearly has had allot of time and effort put into it.
The first thing that hits you is the attention to detail on everything, the sets and costumes look beautiful down to the last tiny prop, all the cast look authentic for the era and the acting is most definitely top dollar. The story is slowish but never dull as you are slowly fed much Eastern wisdom and philosophy that really is a joy to hear. Li's soft calm voice is perfect with this in his role as he portrays the arrogant fighter in his prime, a man coming to terms with the beauty of life, kindness and honour and finally a wise compassionate mentor...but never at any point is Li an unlikeable person.

As for the fighting...the real crux of the matter for many, its pretty darn fine basically, what you have here is some stunning fast fluid and realistic fights displaying Wushu in its finest form from Li. I was so pleased not to see lots of obvious wire work or cgi nonsense to interfere, that's not to say there is just a small amount of wire work to add a small element of magic but it just about works without ruining your suspension of disbelief.
There is a strong 'MMA' undercurrent in this film also of course, the whole point was how Yuanjia challenged foreign fighters from all over the world and different disciplines to demonstrate and prove Wushu. This entails fights against boxers, lancers, kickboxers, fencers etc... and is possibly the first example of 'MMA', I have no clue whether it was or not but it certainly seems so which is interesting.

I have to give much kudos to this film and its direction from Yu, I was pretty surprised this came from Yu seeing as his previous films don't come close to this type of epic offering. I also must admit to not being a Jet Li fan and find many of his films too similar plus he really looks quite mean facially if you ask me hehe got evil eyes, never the less this film is damn high quality with superb work in every area making it a visual treat with stoic performances.

(in reply to wAkE_uP_nEo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jet Li Is Fearless Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI