Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mad Men - BBC 4 Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Mad Men - BBC 4 Speed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mad Men - BBC 4 Speed - 27/1/2010 7:45:52 PM   
demoncleaner

I was given season 2 for Christmas so this is a smooth and timely transition into Season 3 for me.

Looking forward to tonight's double-header.  Who'll be tuning in then?
Post #: 1
RE: Mad Men - BBC 4 Speed - 28/1/2010 12:18:55 PM   
demoncleaner

***SPOILERS FOR SEASONS 1 & 2***

I've come to realise I don't love Mad Men for its plot points or various intrigues, but probably just for its atmosphere, its aesthetic and its formal characterisations.  I dig its discussions on the psychology of advertising and enjoy wincing at its Un-PC mores.   Apart from that I don't really care about Don's unveiling past, his womanising or Peggy's sexual awakening and taboo skirting-secret.

I just like the company of the characters.  To paraphrase one of the secretaries in last night's episode I would watch these characters read the phone book.  And if that really is the case then discussing the opening episodes of a new season falls short based on what actually happened.  I'm sorry that Duck Phillips seems to have flown the coup *arf* and already missed Freddy Rumsen's exit toward the end of season two.  I'll look forward to seeing how the Price take-over makes in-roads into the agency and the presence of Betty's dad Gene (who always makes me uncomfortable – in a good way for dramatic purposes) in their home is promising.  I'm not sure what to make of the early denouement with Sal – if its anything like the Season 2's reveal that Don's knows about Peggy's child then the secret is safe with Don.  If, that is, he takes his veiled advice to keep his "exposure limited”.  Hope they develop Sal's crush on Ken – that was funny.  Costgrove's funniest when he's clueless.
But yeah, to go back to what I started out saying.  To me Mad Men is pretty unique in that I like it to maintain its elegant equilibrium and don't actually want too much to happen.  I wouldn't like the writers to contrive anything too outlandish and create a plot-angle of no-return.  The occurrence of the "real” Draper's wife in Season 2 and her effective blessing for his role adoption was excellent.  After that, I don't really expect anymore bombshells on that front.  Its also difficult to see how interesting the see-saw between Betty and Don's marital life can continue to get with all the various trysts that have no indication of ceasing.

I think its at its best when the creators use this ensemble to commentate on the cultural changes happening within the US and the World at large. And the Pen Station/Madison Square Guarden thing is an example of the sublimated plot premise that make the show a success IMO.

Part of me is also sorry that I'm attempting to pursue this week by week instead of the DVD novel approach that I've watched the first two seasons.  But I couldn't hold out for it. I hope it grabs me the same way.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 28/1/2010 12:26:34 PM >

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Mad Men - BBC 4 Speed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI